Zach Wilson - some good news from PFF

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

We all know Zach wasn't good this year and that overall he had some really bad numbers.  As of late though some PFF metrics have come out that I find interesting and offer something positive.

Three data points stand out to me that are worthy of aggregating into one thread.

• 4th highest passing rating in the redbone for the season - 105.4
  • 4th highest pass percentage in throwing into tight windows for the season - 32.1%
  • 5th highest passer rating on short passes from weeks 15-18 - 114.1

Again, let me be clear - this doesn't mean a whole lot of anything - and each of these have been posted here already individually - but as a whole it's just something that's nice to see.

Regardless whether or not JD can trade for an impact high volume wideout.  IMO ZW will surprise some and will perform way better then last year.  I just wish JD-Saleh recognize they should give Zach the best WR on JD's big board at #10.

By the way...redbone reminds me of...

Download video

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We all know Zach wasn't good this year and that overall he had some really bad numbers.  As of late though some PFF metrics have come out that I find interesting and offer something positive.

Three data points stand out to me that are worthy of aggregating into one thread.

• 4th highest passing rating in the redbone for the season - 105.4
  • 4th highest pass percentage in throwing into tight windows for the season - 32.1%

Again, let me be clear - this doesn't mean a whole lot of anything - and each of these have been posted here already individually - but as a whole it's just something that's nice to see.

@Gastineau Lives we are losing him!

TIME FOR AN INTERVENTION!!!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I hate when I step into a steaming pile of statistics. 

Not statistics.

Advanced metrics.

If he were a baseball player, he'd be hitting .178 for the season (statistics), but his average with men on base in the third inning on days that start with a "T" is .358 (advanced metrics).

Hopefully in 2022 both will be good.  

But he needs another top WR and another abuse-taking and productive HB.  JMO.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not statistics.

Advanced metrics.

If he were a baseball player, he'd be hitting .178 for the season (statistics), but his average with men on base in the third inning on days that start with a "T" is .358 (advanced metrics).

Sabermetrics are one of my favorite advanced stats.  In the case of the advanced stats on Zach it looks like they are simply recognizing that Zach sucked last year and the stats bore out that he sucked.  By going to a smaller sample size and breaking the statistics down to even smaller pieces they are not making a point that Zach didn't suck.  They are simply put it out there that in certain advanced stats where there weren't enough of them to reach any statistical conclusion they ranked him.   I suspect ranking him with such a small sample size on such an advanced metric is a cardinal no no for people who actually understand data.  

I stand by my original post.  A steaming pile of BS.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

• 4th highest passing rating in the redzone for the season - 105.4

This unending need by people here to do mental gymnastics in an effort to convince others Wilson didn’t suck last year is beyond tiresome at this point.

Guess what? He stunk. By every metric.

When and if he becomes good, we’ll know. Until that happens though, you’re not changing any minds Fido. Give it a rest.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 3

@FidelioJet.I’m going to try and clear up the confusion you implied with your reaction to my last post.

I didn’t read your OP, nor did I read one post in the thread.yet. Why?
This is the same drivel you post any time @T0mShane or anyone else makes a joke at Zach’s expense.

Again, we’re all Jet fans. We all hope Zach improves. We all saw how bad he looked last year though. Please stop trying to blow smoke up our collective a**es here in an effort to convince us that, “no, he really didn’t.”

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not statistics.

Advanced metrics.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I'm on record saying that I think Wilson has a chance to be good, BUT none of these selective analyses are going to make Zach's detractors feel any better about him. We'll find out a lot more next year. 

Some of those throws in the Bucs game were fire though

Can’t teach the ability to hit passes in tight windows.  It’s an awesome attribute in the SkillSet of any QB.  Looks like ZW has that and in reference to the Bucs game it was on full display against the #4 day.  

The trajectory of ZW’s game without a doubt moved in the way you want to see post injury.

I think he only gets better from here and with talent upgrades all around him and a year under his belt under a System he probably knows like the back of his hand now, Jet football should start being lots of fun to watch.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This unending need by people here to do mental gymnastics in an effort to convince others Wilson didn’t suck last year is beyond tiresome at this point.

Guess what? He stunk. By every metric.

When and if he becomes good, we’ll know. Until that happens though, you’re not changing any minds Fido. Give it a rest.

So did you skip the first line where he said he knows Zach wasn’t good last year and had some bad numbers?  
He stunk.  I know this will kill you but apparently not by every metric.  Give it a rest, they’ve done this before with other QBs too. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the one that's pretty impressive.  4th highest passer rating in the Red Zone out of all NFL QBs?  That's pretty legit for a team that was constantly playing from behind and not really in the "settle for FGs" mode a lot of the time.

Counterpoint: they were always in “settle for field goals” mode.

• Haha 1