JD + Rex Hogan Pre Draft Press Conference (4/21/22)

Grandy

2 hours ago, ZachEY said:

I don't know if they'll trade him, as his cost is low-ish and his return on a trade would be minimal, but the guy gives you absolutely nothing to like about him, and if my opinion on the matter is worthless (sure), just look at how Saleh has spoken about him.  Hate's a strong word, but have you watched the pressers?

People want to just yadda yadda straight to long term viability but the option decision is in a year. Say they carrot and stick a good season out of him. Feel great exercising? Probably not. Then say he does it again. Now you have to trust him to the tune of 25M a year easy given where the cap's gonna be. Anything but just giving up now leads to a nightmarish decision tree.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

People want to just yadda yadda straight to long term viability but the option decision is in a year. Say they carrot and stick a good season out of him. Feel great exercising? Probably not. Then say he does it again. Now you have to trust him to the tune of 25M a year easy given where the cap's gonna be. Anything but just giving up now leads to a nightmarish decision tree.

Is there anyone you would trust with 25M per?  I'm not saying I disagree, but, this is a frequent argument of yours.

That said, a good year and I pick up the option.  Another good year, and we can talk contracts or franchise tag.  I don't see it going in this direction, as I see him flaming out this season, if he's even here, but there's a path to not giving up on him, especially when you really don't want to waste a top pick on his replacement with so many other holes.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The fact that he's still "rehabbing" isn't saying a whole lot of Duke.

Maybe he should try something else.

It’s not? Haha, Fido, rehab go’s in stages from reestablishing ROM to stabilization to Strength training into endurance all the way to work hardening techniques. Just cause he’s rehabbing it doesn’t mean he’s not progressing. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

If Becton comes in and plays well like he did when he was healthy and Mims contributes enough for a roster spot, this turns into a decent draft at worst. I mean, look, I'm not defending the 2020 draft. It was clearly not good. But we really can't make it seem like the worst in Jets history until we actually see what happens with Becton and Mims. It could end up being 50/50 like a lot of drafts end up. With half of the players you draft washing out and the other half ending up being starters or contributors. 

No. 11: OT Mekhi Becton- starter? TBD

No. 59: WR Denzel Mims- contributor? TBD

No. 68: S Ashtyn Davis- contributor/starter

No. 79: DE Jabari Zuniga- bust

No. 120: RB La'Mical Perine- bust

No. 125 QB James Morgan- bust

No. 129: OL Cameron Clark- injured/retired

No: 158: CB Bryce Hall- starter

No: 191: P Brandon Mann- starter

The real stars of that draft for the Jets were the UDFA's JD signed that made up a big part of the last year. Lamar Jackson, Javelin Guidry, Bryce Huff, Lawrence Cager, and Shyheim Carter all played and/or are still with the team now.  Put those guys in for the more expensive busts and it's almost as if JD got better players for less money and they are still here.

30 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Many here frown on people bashing this terrible GM but look at the type of ish that is applauded….. the bashing of a player not attending a voluntary offseason program…

WOW

???

Why do all the guys that never attend these voluntary work outs are players with issues, with things they need to prove or guys that do not seem to buy all in like other players and then wonder why the fans get on their case.

The nice list of photos of jets players smiling and coming to camp and shaking hands a few days back.  All those guys should be looked at as utter fools for attending something voluntary.  Instead of being looked at as guys wanting to get better as individuals and as a team.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why do all the guys that never attend these voluntary work outs are players with issues, with things they need to prove or guys that do not seem to buy all in like other players and then wonder why the fans get on their case.

The nice list of photos of jets players smiling and coming to camp and shaking hands a few days back.  All those guys should be looked at as utter fools for attending something voluntary.  Instead of being looked at as guys wanting to get better as individuals and as a team.

These are great points that I can’t deny 

6 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Is there anyone you would trust with 25M per?  I'm not saying I disagree, but, this is a frequent argument of yours.

I feel like I was probably right an awful lot of those times and now we're talking about a guy who weighs 400 no matter what nutritionist Fay Wray tweets.

I wouldn't make that argument as far as giving Williams a top of the market deal next year, but Douglas might be a tougher grader than me, and he's out of extra draft capital from the sell-off so he's presumably going to be looking to get the comp pick machine up and running per Ravens SOP.

I think everybody is totally divorced from reality on Becton but that's probably only going to take another week to bear out or not so in the meantime I'm limiting the debate to one-liners.

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I feel like I was probably right an awful lot of those times and now we're talking about a guy who weighs 400 no matter what nutritionist Fay Wray tweets.

I wouldn't make that argument as far as giving Williams a top of the market deal next year, but Douglas might be a tougher grader than me, and he's out of extra draft capital from the sell-off so he's presumably going to be looking to get the comp pick machine up and running per Ravens SOP.

I think everybody is totally divorced from reality on Becton but that's probably only going to take another week to bear out or not so in the meantime I'm limiting the debate to one-liners.

You probably were.  Bullish on any Jet is probably the way to go.

I'm not sure what QW has done to earn a top of the market deal, but I can see that re: personality/responsibility, so that's fair in that regard.

Tough spot for me re: the draft.  Deeply don't want an OT high, but the "don't trust him as far as I can throw him" expression rings especially true here.

31 minutes ago, Origen said:

The real stars of that draft for the Jets were the UDFA's JD signed that made up a big part of the last year. Lamar Jackson, Javelin Guidry, Bryce Huff, Lawrence Cager, and Shyheim Carter all played and/or are still with the team now.  Put those guys in for the more expensive busts and it's almost as if JD got better players for less money and they are still here.

Stars?  That is kind of pushing it.  He did way better than that in the mini-draft in 2019 picking up JFM and Berrios.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I'm not sure what QW has done to earn a top of the market deal, but I can see that re: personality/responsibility, so that's fair in that regard.

Tough spot for me re: the draft.  Deeply don't want an OT high, but the "don't trust him as far as I can throw him" expression rings especially true here.

It's not what he earns, it's what he costs. The competing arguments as to the premium are the need to retain talent on one hand and optimal allocation of resources on the other. Just not a whole lot along the lines of like, is he even a football player.

18 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Wouldn't it be "bearish?"

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s not? Haha, Fido, rehab go’s in stages from reestablishing ROM to stabilization to Strength training into endurance all the way to work hardening techniques. Just cause he’s rehabbing it doesn’t mean he’s not progressing. 

nah...

4 week injury now been rehabbing for 28 weeks.  Give me a break.  

Look, I have no problem with him not being at the voluntary workouts, but it's very worrisome that he's still rehabbing.

I really think that was a shot from JD.  If he was happy about this and wanted to protect his player - he could have very easily said, working with his personal training (or something like that) but he chose to use "rehabbing" .I'm sure he chose that word carefully - as he had plenty of time to prep for that questions.  

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

nah...

Look, I have no problem with him not being at the voluntary workouts, but it's very worrisome that he's still rehabbing.

I really think that was a shot from JD.  If he was happy about this and wanted to protect his player - he could have very easily said, working with his personal training (or something like that) but he chose to use "rehabbing" .I'm sure he chose that word carefully - as he had plenty of time to prep for that questions.  

You could be right. But since we're talking about JD calculating his words here, it's entirely possible that he's attempting to manipulate the draft on 04/21 with those words.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stars?  That is kind of pushing it.  He did way better than that in the mini-draft in 2019 picking up JFM and Berrios.

"Stars" in the sense of the worthwhile picks that make up for the misses, not that they are NFL stars, jfc...

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

nah...

I guess we will see. 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to say once again that the way they talk about the EDGE rushers "no elite BOSA types" "every team probably has the Top 5 graded differently" etc, does not point at all to the Jets taking EDGE at 4. At all.

Perhaps

but Douglas has hammered his theme about OL and DL about 109,000 times since he’s been here and continues to do so

If he’s not going EDGE, he’s probably going OL premium for 3rd year in a row 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alka said:

Tht's the way I would go!!!  Quality wide receivers can be had in the 2nd round.  So, yes, Edge and then offensive lineman.

Penning’s level of comp. would give me pause 

That and the opportunity cost given the likely outcome that the WR selection in this draft will be dried up by pick #32

nah...

Cmon the injury CLEARLY is now being used as an excuse to try and elevate his endurance, strength and physical wellness to an acceptable NFL level.

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Perhaps

but Douglas has hammered his theme about OL and DL about 109,000 times since he’s been here and continues to do so

If he’s not going EDGE, he’s probably going OL premium for 3rd year in a row 

Lots of people think it is diversion and they will take KT if he is there, but I just get this impression that they are targeting an EDGE but not at 4. Saleh said similar things at the combine. Here's the thing: we pick at 4, smokeescreens are sort of irrelevant for getting an EDGE at 4, it's not like it will have any influence on the Top 3 picks. You smokescreen to prevent teams from trading ABOVE you. because they think you like a player or position. That is not happening at 3 except for QB and literally no one thinks we are taking a QB @GREENBEAN Sent a super chat to you guys last night but did not have a chance to explain why I do not think it was a diversion.