Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

7 hours ago, football guy said:

Here’s what one inside the Jets organization expects to see occur next Thursday: 

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(10) DE Kayvon Thibodeaux/Jermaine Johnson

WR would be addressed via trade (whether it be Deebo Samuel or trade up into top 25)

Sooo then they trying to trade Becton? Seems a waste if you don’t move on from one. 

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but Mark Sanchez had all the advantages you could ask for as a young QB and still failed miserably.  You can't "create" a top 10 QB with a great supporting cast. 

We made it to back to back AFC championship games with a miserable failure at QB. Are you really going to argue with the approach? Imagine if he actually developed into a good QB?

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We made it to back to back AFC championship games with a miserable failure at QB. Are you really going to argue with the approach? Imagine if he actually developed into a good QB?

Not arguing against the approach to building around a QB.  I’m arguing that building around the QB can never generate a top 10 QB unless that QB has at least top 20 ability to begin with.  

This idea that nailing the draft will make Wilson awesome is all I’m disagreeing with.  We’re all hoping we nail the draft here.  Same team on that one.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, football guy said:

Here’s what one inside the Jets organization expects to see occur next Thursday: 

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(10) DE Kayvon Thibodeaux/Jermaine Johnson

WR would be addressed via trade (whether it be Deebo Samuel or trade up into top 25)

This makes the most sense. So hope this is a legit source. 

• Upvote 1

We missed out on WR who wanted to go to Miami.  We’re not out of the Deebo trade watch until he’s traded somewhere else or reigns in SF
The fact that some want to give 30+ million to a one year wonder who has weight issues dating all the way back to college and want to trade the #10 pick to do it boggles my mind.

Besides all of that we were never really in it. You will see my friend

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Sympathy 1

He was given plenty of time last year and the receiving corps wasn't terrible.  There's a reason multiple Jets QB's did fairly well under center last season:  The supporting cast  is decent and will get even better after this draft.  
Now it's on Wilson to prove he can be the guy.  
You my friend are completely off base... he almost beat TB with braxton and a box of cheerios... kid is the one ... get used to it.
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You my friend are completely off base... he almost beat TB with braxton and a box of cheerios... kid is the one ... get used to it.

Then he’ll have no problem proving that beyond a shadow of a doubt next season. Until then, I’ll believe it when I see it.  

I do agree, however, that the TB game is the main reason I haven’t completely written him off just yet.  More like 90-95 % sure he’s a bust, lol.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I Read the posts here and I have no desire to continue debating about a guy who had cartilage removed from his knee probably due to the fact he's playing a high impact position weighing 360 +.

I'm pretty sure he's been told by multiple people whether they be doctors, coaches or trainers that his weight and playing the game of football are unsustainable. If he comes in to camp at 340 or less that would tell me this kid is serious about the game and his longevity playing football. If he comes in at 360+ again this is not going to work and IMHO it shows total lack of motivation on his part to get better and get healthier yes weight plays a huge part in staying healthy when you're that damn big.

@Sperm Edwards

In the case of Moses he got a nice contract from the Ravens who have been much more successful attaining talented players via the draft and FA So he's good enough for them but not for the Jets ? Really Sperm ? He played the whole season here last year and he would have been my starter at RT and I would have paid him. Just like everyone else he had to learn this scheme as well so there were some struggles. I would have told Becton (If I were coach or GM) Get your ass in gear, come to camp in shape and go win your Job back. In the situation we are in now it would not have been the end of the world to keep 3 Tackles to insure Zach Stays upright and establish a solid running attack along with trying to light a fire under what was supposed to be our Franchise LT for the next 10 + years. You mention Moses was not so hot in Pass protection but neither is Becton who has already seemed to lose the job protecting the QB's blind side. And Moses like everyone else got better as the entire line became more comfortable in the system as the year went on.

You’re so angry with Becton you’re just making irrational points.

Moses is starting for Baltimore because they had nobody. He was the most expensive RT they could afford - and/or the most expensive they felt was necessary - for the starting RT position. We don’t have nobody so he’d again be a backup here. Instead of Stanley and nobody, if Balt had Stanley & Becton or Stanley & Fant or Fant & Becton then they wouldn’t have signed Moses either. What part’s confusing?

If Becton is healthy and is the starting RT then Moses would be a downgrade on the field. Ditto Fant. It’s no accident that, still just 31 years old, $5MM was the best offer he got, and ~$3MM plus some playing time incentives was the best he got after Washington cut him the year before (deciding he wasn’t worth $7MM).  

I supported the idea of the team bringing Moses back but not if they were guaranteeing him the job over superior players, of which the Jets already have two heading into the draft. You then say you’d hand Moses the starting job - which is what it’d take to sign him - but then suggest there should be a competition between him and Fant, making you a liar as GM, word of which would spread around fast and cost the team more than your subjective, perceived RT upgrade for this one season.

Moses wanted a guaranteed starting job and the Jets didn’t have one to offer. Best they’d have been able to offer is another competition (which he lost last year if you recall). He wasn’t signing here over a guaranteed starting job in Baltimore, 

The rest is even more ridiculous, which presumably is the opinion that Becton reached his career pinnacle of performance as a raw rookie at age 21, and will not improve beyond that. 

Also they are making him compete — for the LT job, not for a starting/roster spot. His issue is staying in the field, not showing he belongs on it when healthy. He wants the LT job? He’ll have to win it back. I’m good with that.

This is all without knowing - until the draft’s over - whether or not the Jets do take a round 1 tackle this week.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Moses is starting for Baltimore because they had nobody. He was the most expensive RT they could afford - and/or the most expensive they felt was necessary - for the starting RT position. We don’t have nobody so he’d again be a backup here. Instead of Stanley and nobody, if Balt had Stanley & Becton or Stanley & Fant or Fant & Becton then they wouldn’t have signed Moses either. What part’s confusing?

If Becton is healthy and is the starting RT then Moses would be a downgrade on the field. Ditto Fant. It’s no accident that, still just 31 years old, $5MM was the best offer he got, and ~$3MM plus some playing time incentives was the best he got after Washington cut him the year before (deciding he wasn’t worth $7MM).  

I supported the idea of the team bringing Moses back but not if they were guaranteeing him the job over superior players, of which the Jets already have two heading into the draft. You then say you’d hand Moses the starting job - which is what it’d take to sign him - but then suggest there should be a competition between him and Fant, making you a liar as GM, word of which would spread around fast and cost the team more than your subjective, perceived RT upgrade for this one season.

Moses wanted a guaranteed starting job and the Jets didn’t have one to offer. Best they’d have been able to offer is another competition (which he lost last year if you recall). He wasn’t signing here over a guaranteed starting job in Baltimore, 

The rest is even more ridiculous, which presumably is the opinion that Becton reached his career pinnacle of performance as a raw rookie at age 21, and will not improve beyond that. 

Also they are making him compete — for the LT job, not for a starting/roster spot. His issue is staying in the field, not showing he belongs on it when healthy. He wants the LT job? He’ll have to win it back. I’m good with that.

This is all without knowing - until the draft’s over - whether or not the Jets do take a round 1 tackle this week.

Give me a call when Becton plays at the Level Fant played last year. None of the points I made were irrational simply because you didn't agree with them, which is what this comes down too. If we disagree that's fine but everything I said about Becton is a big concern of mine and it was the same concern when we drafted him. As a matter of fact, I think it was you that I was discussing his weight with when we drafted him I said  he would not be able to sustain that weight and some how that irrational thinking has been exactly what we have so far in Becton. That's not anger Sperm that's a fact.

In the case of Moses he is a top run blocker and we knew that going in when we signed him I'm sure Balt knows that as well. Keeping in mind if you run the football consistently good it takes the pressure off the pass rush so good run blockers can help themselves, the QB and the line in that regard . Problem is we have no true RB's on this team who can consistently punish defenders and consistently run the football and we know Carter can be explosive but expecting him to carry the load is not happening.

And yes we don't know what the Jets will do in the draft we may very well take a T and a RB and a WR matter of fact we have to address those 3 positions . Either way I want competition for Becton. I said start Moses in my post not because I felt he was better but because maybe Becton needs a fire lit under his ass and if that don't get it done we need to move on.

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Give me a call when Becton plays at the Level Fant played last year. None of the points I made were irrational simply because you didn't agree with them, which is what this comes down too. If we disagree that's fine but everything I said about Becton is a big concern of mine and it was the same concern when we drafted him. As a matter of fact, I think it was you that I was discussing his weight with when we drafted him I said  he would not be able to sustain that weight and some how that irrational thinking has been exactly what we have so far in Becton. That's not anger Sperm that's a fact.

In the case of Moses he is a top run blocker and we knew that going in when we signed him I'm sure Balt knows that as well. Keeping in mind if you run the football consistently good it takes the pressure off the pass rush so good run blockers can help themselves, the QB and the line in that regard . Problem is we have no true RB's on this team who can consistently punish defenders and consistently run the football and we know Carter can be explosive but expecting him to carry the load is not happening.

And yes we don't know what the Jets will do in the draft we may very well take a T and a RB and a WR matter of fact we have to address those 3 positions . Either way I want competition for Becton. I said start Moses in my post not because I felt he was better but because maybe Becton needs a fire lit under his ass and if that don't get it done we need to move on.

According to pff Becton Rookie year > Fant Last year.. in fact Fant had a average year last year wasn’t bad or great. Yall be acting like played at all pro level.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Every time I hear that it’s a bad draft, I remember that the last “bad draft” was 2017, which was the Mahomes, Watson, Lattimore, TreDavious White draft where we picked the execrable bust Jamal Adams.

The 2nd and third rounds of this year's draft just seem much more rich than they were the last few years.  Not so much top half of rd 1, though.   Overall, it is a damned good draft class thru the beginning of day 3.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree with Smash on this one ... everything he stated rings true ....

... That guy (Becton) is a monster , no doubt ... but I too am concerned about any bone on bone issues with a man that size.

Kid does not seem to get it yet and clearly has a childish mindset with the tshirt, tweeting etc ... we dont know yet how much work he has put in ... but clearly either he was completely out of shape , or severely misdiagnosed last year.

He has a ton to prove ... I hope he does just that.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Moses is a good run blocker and a fair pass blocker, has reached his ceiling, and projects solely to RT. I would’ve had no problem retaining him - on the contrary I welcomed it - but there isn’t a team in the league that would prefer him on the field instead of Becton on the field. 

A big part of the reason Moses looked worse early on was Wilson holding the ball. Then that shifts to White, Flacco, and post-injury Wilson (all getting rid of it much faster on a high percentage of dropbacks). So you’re giving all credit to Moses for QBs getting rid of it upwards of a full second faster - at RT against teams’ weaker edge rushers - and then comparing it to Becton’s raw-rookie season at LT, blocking for Darnold holding the ball and not just time to throw but he didn’t ****ing move in the pocket.

It’s like thinking you’re comparing a WR’s 40 time to another WR’s 40 time, when in reality you’re comparing one WR’s 30-35 time vs another’s 50 time.

Becton’s obvious issue is staying on the field - or at least it was at ages 21-22 - and giving confidence that this will not be his norm forever. It’s not that he’s a lesser run blocker than Moses ffs - nobody thinks that and no way Moses can push DTs/DEs/LBs back nearly the way Becton can do it; nor being a worse pass blocker either, which is why there’s not a HC in the league that would even think of trying out Moses at LT and why this veteran RT, still just 31, who never misses a game, has so little relative value throughout the league.

But go on thinking it’s rational that a half a season of improved pass blocking, which un-coincidentally came when blocking for QBs quickly dumping it off a lot, is proof positive that Moses is something of an elite starting RT (which is what you make him sound like), and gives you more insight than the collective years of experience of every HC and OC and OLC in the league who’ve said his value is as a starter you put out there until you pick up someone more talented, which the Jets already have. 

I’d have loved keeping him at the $ Baltimore paid him, but the players have something to say about this, too. Few would take similar money to compete for a job for the Jets instead of being handed a no-competition, unquestioned starting job for the Ravens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I completely agree with Smash on this one ... everything he stated rings true ....

... That guy (Becton) is a monster , no doubt ... but I too am concerned about any bone on bone issues with a man that size.

Kid does not seem to get it yet and clearly has a childish mindset with the tshirt, tweeting etc ... we dont know yet how much work he has put in ... but clearly either he was completely out of shape , or severely misdiagnosed last year.

I don't recall any reports of a bone on bone condition with Becton. I hope not.

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I’m concerned about it, too, and would’ve been happy with the Jets retaining Moses. But you can’t therefore say it’s on the Jets for not telling Moses he’d have to (again) beat out Fant or would now have to beat out Becton to retain the starting RT job.

FA players have some say in this too, you know, so long as other teams are making offers, and he got an unquestioned, no-competition starting job offer from Baltimore.

There aren’t a lot of teams that’d take a look at a 23 year-old Becton and a 31 year-old Moses and say to the latter: “OK, you have the job no matter what. We won’t even let Becton (or Fant or anyone else) compete with you.” Because that’s the position he’s taking. 

Fans’ individual concerns over bone-on-bone ultimately aren’t worth much of anything, let alone for the upcoming season for a 23 year-old. Nor are the amateur psychologists basing a full ‘unstable’ profile on a picture of a shirt and couple of tweets that are being over-analyzed for some players while they’re willfully ignored for hundreds of others. Or the de facto insistence that he should have no personal time at all this offseason, which is what fans are saying with the remarks about tossing his xbox in the trash, as though there’s a single NFL player that takes no downtime outside the gym, like he’s only permitted to work out and eat and sleep for months. Star players don’t live like this even during the season, but fans have elected themselves the emperors of what’s valid and invalid downtime activity for others. 

He may be a total head case for all I know. Or a shirt he buys may be something that makes him laugh and nothing more. He may be just totally hypersensitive about all the (frankly, often personally mean/nasty) comments fans say about him, plus the ones you don’t see from those who also DM him. He’s still a person, and I can only imagine if those here, who are online-hysterical over him, dealt with the volume of barrages of insults from strangers. While he’s in the gym virtually every day in the offseason he’s reading fans calling him lazy. Imagine if your boss or co-workers publicly called you out online as a lazy POS while you’re working daily on your vacation. Then in response, as a joke, you bought a t-shirt you wear while working on vacation that says “doesn’t like to work” and in response those workers go at you online yet  & again again & conclude this is an indication that you’re mentally unstable. Because I’d say that’s a fair assessment. 

My take is he should ignore at least 99% of it, but it’s easy for me to say; I’m not a 22-23 year-old who came of age in the era of social media while appearing in football games people watch around the country. He has some growing up to do from the neck-up, but so do most his age.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I may be alone on this,  but I actually think that admitting your mistake and moving on to fix that mistake would be a good sign. I'd much rather have a GM that is open to recognizing a mistake, learning from it, than one intent on digging in his heels and proving himself right despite the evidence. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

The fact that some want to give 30+ million to a one year wonder who has weight issues dating all the way back to college and want to trade the #10 pick to do it boggles my mind.

Besides all of that we were never really in it. You will see my friend

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

He had a rookie season that was good and a third year that was historically great.  There is plenty of reason to want him.  
If he’s not interested in playing here then I don’t want him and didn’t miss out on anything

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I may be alone on this,  but I actually think that admitting your mistake and moving on to fix that mistake would be a good sign. I'd much rather have a GM that is open to recognizing a mistake, learning from it, than one intent on digging in his heels and proving himself right despite the evidence. 

Stop being angry and irrational.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

And who actually played well in the playoffs for the most part, much better than the regular season........

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

You my friend are completely off base… he almost beat GB with Robbie and a box of cheerios… kid is the one … get used to it.

• Haha 3

I don't recall any reports of a bone on bone condition with Becton. I hope not.
To be clear ... I haven't heard that exact diagnoses either ... but pulling cartiledge from your knee or any sort of meniscus issue would logically make that a possibility
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He had a rookie season that was good and a third year that was historically great.  There is plenty of reason to want him.  
If he’s not interested in playing here then I don’t want him and didn’t miss out on anything

I don't completely disagree, I just don't agree with paying an exorbitant amount plus draft picks for what is a limited (albeit outstanding) window of production. If there were 2 or 3 years with the production from last year then I am all in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

I don't completely disagree, I just don't agree with paying an exorbitant amount plus draft picks for what is a limited (albeit outstanding) window of production. If there were 2 or 3 years with the production from last year then I am all in. 

Year one he was a rookie who was having his skills honed and discovered.  Year two he was injured and his QB missed almost all of the season.  I’m not worried about his production.   I want him and what he would bring to the team but not so much as to ruin our draft.  The 10th and maybe something from the very bottom of our pool of picks is more than enough.  I’m of the thought that with a WR at 10 or below we’re praying for someone near the production of Deebo vs the real thing. 

• Upvote 1

Becton appears to be a bit of a sensitive kid who actually cares what people have to say about him hence the name change to "bigbust77" This is indicative someone who is using the fans comments as a spite motivator. He does not appear to be mentally strong enough to set himself up for the YEARS of abuse he will receive if he doesnt do well this year. Changing your name to "bigbust77" and then actually becoming a big bust would be too much for him.

Twitter for a kid like him would be relentless if he does bust and it's not he will just leave twitter forever, social media is how these kids live. 

Spite is a heck of a motivator and if used appropriately it can make him a beast on the field. We will see. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Year on he was a rookie who was having his skills honed and discovered.  Year two he was injured and his QB missed almost all of the season.  I’m not worried about his production.   I want him and what he would bring to the team but not so much as to ruin our draft.  The 10th and maybe something from the very bottom of our pool of picks is more than enough.  I’m of the thought that with a WR at 10 or below we’re praying for someone near the production of Deebo vs the real thing. 

I dont want him for the 10 at all. Maybe a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th. He has to be used properly and I'm not convinced this coaching staff can get the same level of results out of him nor am I convinced that after he gets paid that his weight issues wont return. This staff has not yet convinced me that they can motivate ANYONE. Barring a trade I do want a wr at 10 but in the event of a trade (that I dont think is happening) I want sauce at 4 and Johnson at 10. 

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I dont want him for the 10 at all. Maybe a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th. He has to be used properly and I'm not convinced this coaching staff can get the same level of results out of him nor am I convinced that after he gets paid that his weight issues wont return. This staff has not yet convinced me that they can motivate ANYONE. Barring a trade I do want a wr at 10 but in the event of a trade (that I dont think is happening) I want sauce at 4 and Johnson at 10. 

Who are you drafting at 10 who’s going to help the team more?  That you’re 100% positive will add as much, is as talented as Deebo?  
‘Who hasn’t the staff motivated?  The Jets never quit even with their record and injuries.  It’s not close to what was reported of Salehs history in SF and testimonials from players he’s coached.  The last thing I’m worried about until I see a history of motivational issues

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Who are you drafting at 10 who’s going to help the team more?  That you’re 100% positive will add as much, is as talented as Deebo?  
‘Who hasn’t the stake motivated?  

I am not 100% convinced that Deebo will have the impact that you do. The talent isnt questionable, he has a history of weight issues and now is about to get paid big time. He has 1 year of above average performance, not several, not multiple, not a couple......ONE. That in and of itself it not enough to convince me that once paid he will do it again and again and again. 

I absolutely believe that adding an impactful DB and pass rusher will have a significant impact on the offense be giving them more opportunities and Zack appears to need as many as we can give him as this stage. 

If you want an example of someone who has not yet proved to be motivated by the coaching staff I point to our uber talented but often resting LT. 

I'm not saying I dont want him on the team at all. I just dont want to pay MORE than we were willing to give up for Hill. ...and JD won't.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

I don’t think playing a starter again, after an injury fueled him missing a season, is equal to stubbornly digging heels in.

Personally I’d want them to get a better backup, roughly on par with Moses, in case there’s a repeat of 2021. That said, such a repeat - essentially missing the entire season - is very unlikely. So absent the team more or less knowing he’s on the verge of having a mental meltdown, dumping a healthy under-contract player is also digging heels in but in the opposite direction.

It’s just not #4/#10 overall pick level of essential anyway. Once they weren’t blocking for a QB holding the ball too long and abandoning the pocket too early, when they had a semi-full huddle of starting WRs/TEs, the line was fine last year with a backup RT, a backup-level RG, a rookie LG, and a previously meh RT/swingT manning the blind side. Add to that, experience and FA have already majorly upgraded the two guard spots. They have two starting LTs who can slide to RT as they deem suitable.

JMO but this “need” is being badly overblown. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

‘Who hasn’t the staff motivated?  The Jets never quit even with their record and injuries.  It’s not close to what was reported of Salehs history in SF and testimonials from players he’s coached.  The last thing I’m worried about until I see a history of motivational issues

It’s funny: this is a draft class that, until the past month, was widely believed to have no WRs worthy of a top 20 pick. Now the team’s better off with one of them - without the benefit of hindsight to help choose which one - than Deebo Samuel, who was a beast even with a mush QB.

I’d prefer they give up less than the 10th pick, too, but I wouldn’t let it get in the way of it came to that.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s funny: this is a draft class that, until the past month, was widely believed to have no WRs worthy of a top 20 pick. Now the team’s better off with one of them - without the benefit of hindsight to help choose which one - than Deebo Samuel, who was a beast even with a mush QB.

I’d prefer they give up less than the 10th pick, too, but I wouldn’t let it get in the way of it came to that.

Just heard Mike Lombardi talking about the WR situation, and he pointed out that all of these wide receivers getting paid huge money this cycle were all drafted outside of the first round, but how teams never learn because the scouts get crazy about 40 times.