Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just heard Mike Lombardi talking about the WR situation, and he pointed out that all of these wide receivers getting paid huge money this cycle were all drafted outside of the first round, but how teams never learn because the scouts get crazy about 40 times. 

Hard to disagree.

This one is so much better than that one because of ultimately about a tenth of a second difference running 40 yards in a straight line in gym shorts.

Ross goes #9 because he displays world class speed, followed y a career as an afterthought. Kupp goes 2 rounds later and catches about 2000 yards in a season and a deserved SB MVP before guys rookie contract is up.

Turns out quick moves and jukes are more valuable against CBs who all have 4.4 speed themselves, on top of a 5-yard head start. Who knew? Oh yeah: all of us lol. 

• Upvote 3

I’d prefer a tackle round 2 because it’s a need.  But if Hutch and KT are gone I can see see it being Ickey. He’s a top player at a premium position that like it or not has question marks. Maybe Sauce but corners can be found later and in free agency yearly. Tackle is a premium position you can spend a top 5 pick on

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Moses is a good run blocker and a fair pass blocker, has reached his ceiling, and projects solely to RT. I would’ve had no problem retaining him - on the contrary I welcomed it - but there isn’t a team in the league that would prefer him on the field instead of Becton on the field. 

A big part of the reason Moses looked worse early on was Wilson holding the ball. Then that shifts to White, Flacco, and post-injury Wilson (all getting rid of it much faster on a high percentage of dropbacks). So you’re giving all credit to Moses for QBs getting rid of it upwards of a full second faster - at RT against teams’ weaker edge rushers - and then comparing it to Becton’s raw-rookie season at LT, blocking for Darnold holding the ball and not just time to throw but he didn’t ****ing move in the pocket.

It’s like thinking you’re comparing a WR’s 40 time to another WR’s 40 time, when in reality you’re comparing one WR’s 30-35 time vs another’s 50 time.

Becton’s obvious issue is staying on the field - or at least it was at ages 21-22 - and giving confidence that this will not be his norm forever. It’s not that he’s a lesser run blocker than Moses ffs - nobody thinks that and no way Moses can push DTs/DEs/LBs back nearly the way Becton can do it; nor being a worse pass blocker either, which is why there’s not a HC in the league that would even think of trying out Moses at LT and why this veteran RT, still just 31, who never misses a game, has so little relative value throughout the league.

But go on thinking it’s rational that a half a season of improved pass blocking, which un-coincidentally came when blocking for QBs quickly dumping it off a lot, is proof positive that Moses is something of an elite starting RT (which is what you make him sound like), and gives you more insight than the collective years of experience of every HC and OC and OLC in the league who’ve said his value is as a starter you put out there until you pick up someone more talented, which the Jets already have. 

I’d have loved keeping him at the $ Baltimore paid him, but the players have something to say about this, too. Few would take similar money to compete for a job for the Jets instead of being handed a no-competition, unquestioned starting job for the Ravens. 

Sperm never once did I say I thought Moses was a better run blocker than Becton because he's not but he is a good one. I also never said he was elite or even close to elite you're being a bit dramatic with that. You seem to think or convinced yourself that I'm comparing the 2 players and I'm not . I was purely wanting Moses on this team for 2 reasons 1. I wanted the competition for Becton  and 2. I do not trust Becton will stay healthy if he continues to play at 360. Lots of possibilities that can happen here that have all been brought up and discussed no no need to revisit but If I gave the Impression I was comparing the 2 it was not my intention.

Also at 31 if the Jets matched I would think Moses would have possibly stayed here because hes not getting a big contract at 34/35 so no telling what went down or what was discussed but I can't help but think the Jets just did not offer 3 at 15 and that's fine if they have other plans. I guess we will never know exactly what went down or what was promised but no sense in debating it since we will never know.

Once again if Becton comes in camp lean and mean it will convince me he's motivated to help himself and the team if he shows up at 360 I'm telling you its not going to work. Same story with Kris Jenkins back in the day. I have never seen a player move the interior of a OL quite like Jenkins he was a beast but when ya weigh what he did you break down and I'm afraid Becton is already starting to Break down at a young age. 

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just heard Mike Lombardi talking about the WR situation, and he pointed out that all of these wide receivers getting paid huge money this cycle were all drafted outside of the first round, but how teams never learn because the scouts get crazy about 40 times. 

This is why the Combine is horsesh*t Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 .... Teams are shying away from Treylon Burks because he ran a 4.55 and that is ridiculous. I think Burks is the best all around WR in this draft and he very well may be had in round 2. I'm holding out hope the Jets get Burks because he has exactly the same skill set and size of Deebo give or take a few inches I think Burks is 6-3 Deebo closer to 6 foot ? both in the 225 range . I know the Jets had Burks visit I hope they move in that direction and if Burks is a late first early second round projection we can trade out of 10 grab a pick or 2 and grab him late first early second

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This is why the Combine is horsesh*t Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 .... Teams are shying away from Treylon Burks because he ran a 4.55 and that is ridiculous. I think Burks is the best all around WR in this draft and he very well may be had in round 2. I'm holding out hope the Jets get Burks because he has exactly the same skill set and size of Deebo give or take a few inches I think Burks is 6-3 Deebo closer to 6 foot ? both in the 225 range . I know the Jets had Burks visit I hope they move in that direction and if Burks is a late first early second round projection we can trade out of 10 grab a pick or 2 and grab him late first early second
Combine is to the NFL what the Internet is to the World
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Can the player get open, can the player beat press coverage and can the player catch.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Can the player get open, can the player beat press coverage and can the player catch.

Can he play football :)

I remember watching Vernon Gholston play football in college and thinking he was an absolute terrible Football player but hey he beat some clowns for sacks and one good player once 

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What you hear about Burks is that his interviews are terrible. He’s a backwoods hillbilly who, allegedly, doesn’t know much about football until he has the ball in his hands

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

What you hear about Burks is that his interviews are terrible. He’s a backwoods hillbilly who, allegedly, doesn’t know much about football until he has the ball in his hands

I’ve read he’s raw route running so he would need time to develop.  Not the guy for the jets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Can he play football :)

I remember watching Vernon Gholston play football in college and thinking he was an absolute terrible Football player but hey he beat some clowns for sacks and one good player once 

Gholston got paid and literally did not give a sh*t about anything. You need a bit of crazy in you to be a pass rusher and Gholston didn’t have it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I’d prefer a tackle round 2 because it’s a need.  But if Hutch and KT are gone I can see see it being Ickey. He’s a top player at a premium position that like it or not has question marks. Maybe Sauce but corners can be found later and in free agency yearly. Tackle is a premium position you can spend a top 5 pick on

but we already have a Tackle whether its Fant or Becton we have a LT. Right Tackle is not a premium position. so for this year we have a LT. next year is next year. and JD has to win get to next year.

there is no way he can not draft a Defensive player hopefully an Edge with having the worst defense in NFL history. an getting a WR for Zach has to be the other 1st rd pick.

i would wait till rd 3 for a swing OL. we still have to add to that defense. maybe another Edge since we rotate alot on the line. definitely a LB or a Safety.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m not sure if they’re talking about Sauce at 4 or 10. Cryptic response

Makes sense. Hughes has been going on about how Saleh doesn’t need A-1 corners, but would make an exception for a freak who will get ball production. 

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think we will have to trade back into the first to get Burks, I don't see him lasting until the second. 

I like him a lot, as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I also genuinely believe that several of those wide receivers getting drafted outside of the first round in last years were better prospects from a tools/analytics standpoint than the guys this year.

AJ Brown averaged over 100 receiving yards a game both his sophomore and junior seasons at Ole Miss while playing in a pass catching group with three future pros each year - Metcalf and Dawson Knox both years (though I think Metcalf got hurt that year), Van Jefferson when he was a sophomore, and Elijah Moore when he was a junior (though probably a better Metcalf injury) and was probably tested as well as anyone in this class for his size.

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, football guy said:

update: 

Sauce is a real consideration if Ickey isn’t there. They think Sauce goes #3 

Drake London is their WR1

Interesting.  London has been my #1 by a little bit for a while, but I didn't think that was necessarily shared beyond my own head.  I would be bummed to see ATL snag him at 8 or someone trade up to 9 for him, but I don't think that's likely.  Would I like to see them trade 10 for Deebo?  Sure.  But if not, I'd dig London.

Sounds like the only way we take Thibs at 4 is if Icky and Sauce go 2-3.  That surprises me a bit.  I see us as SO thin at Edge.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, football guy said:

update: 

Sauce is a real consideration if Ickey isn’t there. They think Sauce goes #3 

Drake London is their WR1

So they're leaning Ickey over Sauce?

Any word on the edge rushers? 

And I could see them wanting Sauce due to the AFC (including our division with Tyreek and Diggs) having a lot of superstar WRs.  At least we'd be drafting a guy who could (hopefully) hold his own against these guys.  Not saying he'd shut them down but at least hopefully preventing them from wrecking the game.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks for letting me know this I had no idea I just see him play and he looks the part and seems built for the type of offense we run. He';s certainly not going to be easy to take down would be like having another brusing TE at WR :)

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

ooh London - very interesting. 

It’s easy to see hutch/walker/sauce going 123 and then the jets are sitting there deciding between ekongwu and thibs, also facing that 10 pick where cross is likely gone.  Would the jets be happier with thibs/london or ekongwu and then also perhaps taking London and then trading up for one of those other edges?  I can see the jets loving how london fits into this offense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s easy to see hutch/walker/sauce going 123 and then the jets are sitting there deciding between ekongwu and thibs, also facing that 10 pick where cross is likely gone.  Would the jets be happier with thibs/london or ekongwu and then also perhaps taking London and then trading up for one of those other edges?  I can see the jets loving how london fits into this offense.

My guess is that the Jets would go edge at 10 if they take Ickey at 4. Rex Hogan talked about "parity" at the WR position throughout the draft - I'm guessing they would be more comfortable taking WRs later in the draft compared to edge rushers . (especially when you think about all of the star WRs who were picked after the first round)