Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My guess is that the Jets would go edge at 10 if they take Ickey at 4. Rex Hogan talked about "parity" at the WR position throughout the draft - I'm guessing they would be more comfortable taking WRs later in the draft compared to edge rushers . (especially when you think about all of the star WRs who were picked after the first round)

The problem with going edge at 10 is that if JJ is gone, who else are you taking?  He may be the only edge worth considering at 10.  

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with going edge at 10 is that if JJ is gone, who else are you taking?  He may be the only edge worth considering at 10.  

I happen to really like karlaftis, but yes, it comes down to who is higher on the jets board 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Here are the tea leaves as I see them… 

1. JAX: DE Walker 
2. DET: DE Hutchinson 
3. HOU: CB Gardner 
4. NYJ: OL Ekwonu 

It sounds like #4 is going to be Ekwonu or Gardner, with both viewed as legit top 5 talents.  From there it becomes complicated, but they will surely to address DE and WR by 38. 

I’m sticking with the following: 

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(10) DE Kayvon Thibodeaux 
1(18) WR Drake London* 

*TRADE: 35, 38, 69 to PHI for 18, 51 and 101

WR gets addressed via trade one way or another. I’m reading the same reports as everyone else RE: 10th pick for Deebo, but I think SF would rather a 35 + 38 package if they were to move him 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

It sounds like #4 is going to be Ekwonu or Gardner, with both viewed as legit top 5 talents.  From there it becomes complicated, but they will surely to address DE and WR by 38. 

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(18) WR Drake London* 

So at 4, it’s eknogwu over thibs, and there’s a real shot thibs drops to 10?

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

WR gets addressed via trade one way or another. I’m reading the same reports as everyone else RE: 10th pick for Deebo, but I think SF would rather a 35 + 38 package if they were to move him 

35 and 38 are the better deals in this draft.  

On 4/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, Smashmouth said:

Sperm never once did I say I thought Moses was a better run blocker than Becton because he's not but he is a good one. I also never said he was elite or even close to elite you're being a bit dramatic with that. You seem to think or convinced yourself that I'm comparing the 2 players and I'm not . I was purely wanting Moses on this team for 2 reasons 1. I wanted the competition for Becton  and 2. I do not trust Becton will stay healthy if he continues to play at 360. Lots of possibilities that can happen here that have all been brought up and discussed no no need to revisit but If I gave the Impression I was comparing the 2 it was not my intention.

Also at 31 if the Jets matched I would think Moses would have possibly stayed here because hes not getting a big contract at 34/35 so no telling what went down or what was discussed but I can't help but think the Jets just did not offer 3 at 15 and that's fine if they have other plans. I guess we will never know exactly what went down or what was promised but no sense in debating it since we will never know.

Once again if Becton comes in camp lean and mean it will convince me he's motivated to help himself and the team if he shows up at 360 I'm telling you its not going to work. Same story with Kris Jenkins back in the day. I have never seen a player move the interior of a OL quite like Jenkins he was a beast but when ya weigh what he did you break down and I'm afraid Becton is already starting to Break down at a young age. 

Your first desire is the reason it’s unrealistic. 

For the umpteenth time, Moses wasn’t signing on with the Jets, to compete with Becton, over a starting gig with Baltimore. I don’t know why you think a FA will choose what isn’t in his best interest just to satisfy your desire for competition for Becton, but it was never going to happen. $5MM per wasn’t keeping a starter in his prime from testing FA waters, no matter how badly you want people to do what’s in the Jets’ interests over their own. Keep telling yourself this until it sinks in ?. FFS posters here, and some reputable websites, thought Moses was going to get twice what he got. Doubtless the player thought (and sought) that, too.

The idea that Becton’s body was already starting to break down at age 22 is baseless. It’s 100% in your head, and no matter how strongly you believe it from your keyboard that doesn’t make it so.

That’s what I meant by the irrationality. You want it so badly you are ignoring that players may have theirr own interests at heart, like the idea that starters are eager to be camp competition and a motivation tool for more talented starters on a last place team. Or making out any injury that lasted longer than expected as evidence of permanent damage that’s already set in. These things are in your head alone. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(18) WR Drake London* 

It’s nice that you have Thibodeaux dropping to #10, but I don’t see how the Jets pass on him at #4 if he’s there. Especially for another ****ing OL. This would make me sick. Really hoping one of these OL (at least) slips into the top three. I think Gardner is unlikely, too. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So at 4, it’s eknogwu over thibs, and there’s a real shot thibs drops to 10?

That’s what I think. I’m piecing together everything I was told over the past weekend + what others in the agency industry and media are saying. 

“They really love Sauce but don’t think he’ll be there” is likely in reference to #4. When I pressed for an answer I got a weird response. Many in agency circles think Sauce will be a “surprise” top 3 pick (I don’t think that would be a huge shock). I also don’t know what they would do if both Ickey and Sauce were there, but the sense I get is that both are among the top 4 players on their board. 

RE: Thibodeaux. He’s a really good player who’s been overhyped. He’s not a bad character guy the way he’s being portrayed to be, but you worry about him being too much of a “me” guy. Jamal Adams was considered the quintessential alpha personality/team leader, yet look what his ego has done to him. You also worry about things like stiffness. I don’t think teams see him as a bonafide top 5 player. He can absolutely come off the board before 10, and I think the Giants and Seahawks would strongly consider him, but very realistically could see him at 10. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

That’s what I think. I’m piecing together everything I was told over the past weekend + what others in the agency industry and media are saying. 

“They really love Sauce but don’t think he’ll be there” is likely in reference to #4. When I pressed for an answer I got a weird response. Many in agency circles think Sauce will be a “surprise” top 3 pick (I don’t think that would be a huge shock). I also don’t know what they would do if both Ickey and Sauce were there, but the sense I get is that both are among the top 4 players on their board. 

RE: Thibodeaux. He’s a really good player who’s been overhyped. He’s not a bad character guy the way he’s being portrayed to be, but you worry about him being too much of a “me” guy. Jamal Adams was considered the quintessential alpha personality/team leader, yet look what his ego has done to him. You also worry about things like stiffness. I don’t think teams see him as a bonafide top 5 player. He can absolutely come off the board before 10, and I think the Giants and Seahawks would strongly consider him, but very realistically could see him at 10. 

Let’s say the jets take gardener at 4, but at 10 all the other OTs and thibs are gone.  Would the jets take london there?

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

Oh no. JD would be dead to me forever if he trades 35 + 38 for Samuel. Or 10 for that matter.  Anyone banking on Deebo staying durable for any significant length of time, IMO, is a very bad bet.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Let’s say the jets take gardener at 4, but at 10 all the other OTs and thibs are gone.  Would the jets take london there?

I don’t know that much. If Johnson were there maybe him? Maybe trade down? 

I’m still kind of skeptical about receiver. Drake London is a guy they apparently love, as is Christian Watson, yet all the guys they seemed to have prioritized in trades are more quick/shifty/speed guys. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again I’m just a messenger. As I’ve said in the past this person is not a decision-maker but by no means are they a janitor the way some on here wish were the case lol. They’re not always right, but very often their info — especially as it relates to the team’s agenda — is on point. 

It’s entirely possible that Saleh gets on the table for an EDGE at #4, but I think that’s more likely to be the case at #10. I get the sense their vision at #4 is clear. Ideally they would go with Hutchinson or Walker, but if neither are there, I get a strong sense it’ll be Ekwonu or Gardner. 

The only good thing about picking Walker at 4 is that when he ends the season with 3 sacks or less, the heat on Douglas will be scorching 

45 minutes ago, football guy said:

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(18) WR Drake London* 

I just can't see Thibodeaux falling to 10. I hope I'm wrong.

If the draft played out like that with those 3 picks, I'd be super ecstatic

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again I’m just a messenger. As I’ve said in the past this person is not a decision-maker but by no means are they a janitor the way some on here wish were the case lol. They’re not always right, but very often their info — especially as it relates to the team’s agenda — is on point. 

It’s entirely possible that Saleh gets on the table for an EDGE at #4, but I think that’s more likely to be the case at #10. I get the sense their vision at #4 is clear. Ideally they would go with Hutchinson or Walker, but if neither are there, I get a strong sense it’ll be Ekwonu or Gardner. 

Did you get any sense who the Jets would favor between Ekwonu and Sauce?

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

I've yet to read a single thing about the Jets and Walker and its always kind of surprised me. I don't really want him to be the pick but I also never understood why there hasn't been a peep about the Jets "liking him" like there has been with Thibs, Sauce, Icky, etc. 

Thanks for all the nuggets - always look forward to your posts. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If Becton is healthy the Jets o-line will have one of the best G combos and T combos in the league. If you want insurance for Becton you don't need it at #4 overall.

I don't think they view Fant as a sure thing. And then when you add the Becton stuff, they're probably like Ikem is really good, might as well take him. Ikem will also make the running game a strength.

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The reason is because he will be there. He wont be there at 10 most likely so whats the big deal here?

jj at 4

wilson/london at 10 almost a lock

Thats pretty good 

He's at 10 in the majority of mocks so far.  Not going to forfeit value for JJ, he's not worth it.  If he's not there at 10, oh well.  Using a 4 for him is insane.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t know that much. If Johnson were there maybe him? Maybe trade down? 

I’m still kind of skeptical about receiver. Drake London is a guy they apparently love, as is Christian Watson, yet all the guys they seemed to have prioritized in trades are more quick/shifty/speed guys. 

I was going to say, I was surprised to see you say London is their top WR. I question the fit and I have some concerns, but I also think he's an intriguing prospect. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I was going to say, I was surprised to see you say London is their top WR. I question the fit and I have some concerns, but I also think he's an intriguing prospect. 

One guy I think they may like , 3rd round maybe, is Tolbert from So.Alabama. Had him at Sr.Bowl, I believe, Big, fast, good route runner. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The reason is because he will be there. He wont be there at 10 most likely so whats the big deal here?

jj at 4

Thats pretty good 

I think he’ll still be there after the 10th pick. Four is way too high for him. Of the top Edges, he’s the one that scares me the most. He had to leave Georgia to put up numbers, and only did that one year at the age of 23. Meanwhile, Walker gets crap for staying at Georgia, playing in a heavy rotation and be asked to do a lot of things besides rush the passer, and not putting up big numbers. 

I doubt the Jets would go WR at #4, either, but by the 10th pick they could be looking at the 3rd WR off the board. I think the Deebo thing has legs, too. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Can he play football :)

I remember watching Vernon Gholston play football in college and thinking he was an absolute terrible Football player but hey he beat some clowns for sacks and one good player once 

He beat Long, give him fits

25 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

jj at 4

Thats pretty good 

He's not a 4.   That's seriously over drafting JJ.  Few think he's the 3rd best EDGE in this draft 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Say he's drafted to replace Fant - who's then traded for whatever's the highest they can get (since they're not keeping a backup swing tackle at $10MM)?  Is no one considering the very real possibility - if not likelihood - that this makes the passing game a weakness?

Becton was a fine pass blocker for a rookie, though his inconsistency was more of the good-game / bad-game type than consistently ok to pretty good over the season. But it was just as a rookie LT, and he's now coming off a missed season. Until proven otherwise on the field, Fant is the superior pass blocker. To then even possibly go with Ekwonu - a rookie who's not primarily known for pass blocking himself - playing like a rookie, adjusting to ozb, and pairing him with Becton after a week off?

I hope someone in the FO steps back so they don't miss the forest looking at the trees, and get over any "pure BAP" obsession. Teams reach and win Super Bowls with comparable and/or worse OLs than the Jets have right now.

My nightmare is they keep both picks and use them on a CB and an OT because of fractions of a "point" in draft grades that no one cares about 6 months later. JMO ;)

rest assured.  The Jets are NOT waiting to rd 2 for a pass rusher. One way or another... at 4, 10 or some other 1st rd from trade down, the NY Jets will be drafting an Edge in round 1.  I feel so sure about it that you know I must be wrong.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Say he's drafted to replace Fant - who's then traded for whatever's the highest they can get (since they're not keeping a backup swing tackle at $10MM)?  Is no one considering the very real possibility - if not likelihood - that this makes the passing game a weakness?

Becton was a fine pass blocker for a rookie, though his inconsistency was more of the good-game / bad-game type than consistently ok to pretty good over the season. But it was just as a rookie LT, and he's now coming off a missed season. Until proven otherwise on the field, Fant is the superior pass blocker. To then even possibly go with Ekwonu - a rookie who's not primarily known for pass blocking himself - playing like a rookie, adjusting to ozb, and pairing him with Becton after a week off?

I hope someone in the FO steps back so they don't miss the forest looking at the trees, and get over any "pure BAP" obsession. Teams reach and win Super Bowls with comparable and/or worse OLs than the Jets have right now.

My nightmare is they keep both picks and use them on a CB and an OT because of fractions of a "point" in draft grades that no one cares about 6 months later. JMO ;)

I don't disagree. Another factor is Douglas's affinity for players who can play multiple positions. Ikem can slide in at guard if necessary (hopefully it doesn't come to that).