Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

I don't disagree. Another factor is Douglas's affinity for players who can play multiple positions. Ikem can slide in at guard if necessary (hopefully it doesn't come to that).

I have no problem with us having the deepest OL in the league.  Zack, Zack, Zack.  Let's get it right for once in this dept.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I don't disagree. Another factor is Douglas's affinity for players who can play multiple positions. Ikem can slide in at guard if necessary (hopefully it doesn't come to that).

Pass blocking is why Cross is gaining so much momentum the past few weeks.  No one is considered a better pass blocker at the Tackle position in this draft than him.  

Ekwonu is a mauler, and if drafted they are looking at him as a RT more than a LT.  The issue we can say is we dont know how becton is as a LT in pass blocking situations and having two Tackles that are alright in that spot definitely weakens the pass blocking slightly.  Even though the run game either way would be very very deep. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

Pass blocking is why Cross is gaining so much momentum the past few weeks.  No one is considered a better pass blocker at the Tackle position in this draft than him.  

Ekwonu is a mauler, and if drafted they are looking at him as a RT more than a LT.  The issue we can say is we dont know how becton is as a LT in pass blocking situations and having two Tackles that are alright in that spot definitely weakens the pass blocking slightly.  Even though the run game either way would be very very deep. 

Good run game = good play action game = Zach being elite in passing game.  It's simple really.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

That’s what I think. I’m piecing together everything I was told over the past weekend + what others in the agency industry and media are saying. 

“They really love Sauce but don’t think he’ll be there” is likely in reference to #4. When I pressed for an answer I got a weird response. Many in agency circles think Sauce will be a “surprise” top 3 pick (I don’t think that would be a huge shock). I also don’t know what they would do if both Ickey and Sauce were there, but the sense I get is that both are among the top 4 players on their board. 

RE: Thibodeaux. He’s a really good player who’s been overhyped. He’s not a bad character guy the way he’s being portrayed to be, but you worry about him being too much of a “me” guy. Jamal Adams was considered the quintessential alpha personality/team leader, yet look what his ego has done to him. You also worry about things like stiffness. I don’t think teams see him as a bonafide top 5 player. He can absolutely come off the board before 10, and I think the Giants and Seahawks would strongly consider him, but very realistically could see him at 10. 

Idk why but just feels like Texans will go Stingley. It'll be one of those draft day surprises nobody mocked. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Here are the tea leaves as I see them… 

1. JAX: DE Walker 
2. DET: DE Hutchinson 
3. HOU: CB Gardner 
4. NYJ: OL Ekwonu 

It sounds like #4 is going to be Ekwonu or Gardner, with both viewed as legit top 5 talents.  From there it becomes complicated, but they will surely to address DE and WR by 38. 

I’m sticking with the following: 

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(10) DE Kayvon Thibodeaux 
1(18) WR Drake London* 

*TRADE: 35, 38, 69 to PHI for 18, 51 and 101

Ok…let’s go. (PointsBet reduced my bet to only $20 lol)C55B8CC1-AA4E-4DA6-8D56-720176CE3CE9.thumb.jpeg.92c50b9991834a79ecebc9bb0bdde459.jpeg

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, King P said:

I just can't see Thibodeaux falling to 10. I hope I'm wrong.

If the draft played out like that with those 3 picks, I'd be super ecstatic

Here's one of the scenarios that I drew up... 

1. JAX: DE Walker 
  2. DET: DE Hutchinson 
  3. HOU: CB Gardner 
  4. NYJ: OT Ekwonu 
  5. NYG: OT Neal 
  6. SEA: OT Cross (trade w/ CAR)* 
  7. NYG: CB Stingley 
  8. ATL: QB Willis
  9. CAR: OT Penning (trade w/ SEA)* 
  10. NYJ: DE Thibodeaux 
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Do the jets value cross enough to consider him at 4?  

Would they take london over wilson?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your first desire is the reason it’s unrealistic. 

For the umpteenth time, Moses wasn’t signing on with the Jets, to compete with Becton, over a starting gig with Baltimore. I don’t know why you think a FA will choose what isn’t in his best interest just to satisfy your desire for competition for Becton, but it was never going to happen. $5MM per wasn’t keeping a starter in his prime from testing FA waters, no matter how badly you want people to do what’s in the Jets’ interests over their own. Keep telling yourself this until it sinks in ?. FFS posters here, and some reputable websites, thought he was going to get twice that. Doubtless the player thought (and sought) that, too.

The idea that Becton’s body was already starting to break down at age 22 is baseless. It’s 100% in your head, and no matter how strongly you believe it from your keyboard that doesn’t make it so.

That’s what I meant by the irrationality. You want it so badly you are ignoring that players may have theirr own interests at heart, like the idea that starters are eager to be camp competition and a motivation tool for more talented starters on a lazy place team. Or making out any injury that lasted longer than expected as evidence of permanent damage that’s already set in. These things are in your head alone. 

Didn't Moses come here with both Fant and Becton on the Roster ? Was that a guarantee he was going to start ? Just askin

50 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Idk why but just feels like Texans will go Stingley. It'll be one of those draft day surprises nobody mocked. 

Jake Asman's show yesterday reported some news (not sure how legit) that there might be a semi-surprise for the Texans.  He then posted another video hinting it might be Jameson Williams to the Texans.

An NFL Insider says a Houston Texans "Semi-Stunner" on draft night is happening!?

Did Houston Texans GM Nick Caserio imply the Texans are drafting Jameson Williams?

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ok so we draft a T and and a DE by doing this you have to go WR RB at some points in round 2 and/or 3 So who will that be ? Or do we trade back into the first ands get the WR we want the most on our board

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Jake Asman's show yesterday reported some news (not sure how legit) that there might be a semi-surprise for the Texans.  He then posted another video hinting it might be Jameson Williams to the Texans.

An NFL Insider says a Houston Texans "Semi-Stunner" on draft night is happening!?

Did Houston Texans GM Nick Caserio imply the Texans are drafting Jameson Williams?

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Again I’m just a messenger. As I’ve said in the past this person is not a decision-maker but by no means are they a janitor the way some on here wish were the case lol. They’re not always right, but very often their info — especially as it relates to the team’s agenda — is on point. 

It’s entirely possible that Saleh gets on the table for an EDGE at #4, but I think that’s more likely to be the case at #10. I get the sense their vision at #4 is clear. Ideally they would go with Hutchinson or Walker, but if neither are there, I get a strong sense it’ll be Ekwonu or Gardner. 

i really hope your friend is wrong. taking a 3rd OT in rd 1 and then pushing WR to 35 if we dont trade for one is crazy.

you know with all these WRs that will go in rd 1 there will be 2-3 that turn out to be really good. and we missed out on one for ANOTHER OT. i can imagine Woody watching the highlight reels this season and seeing some of these WRs helping there teams win games while we continue to struggle. that is the stuff that gets GMs fired. then when Woody realizes were the 1st team "ever" to draft OL in rd 1 for three straight years, JD is done.

and is there any talk about what happens to Hall if we draft Gardner? it seems to me that Hall would be a backup and barring injuries only play in Dime packages which the NFL avg is at 7% of the time teams run it. just seems stupid to have develop Hall who is pretty good and after 2 years move him to the bench or trade him. 

thats why OL and CB are bad moves in rd 1. maybe if this was his 1st year then he could make those picks, but in his 3rd draft he needs wins, he doesnt have the Luxury to replace Hall at CB or worry this year about what happens if Fant doesnt resign next year. he could get insurance for Becton in rd 3. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

If he's drafted at #4 he specifically needs to play left tackle, and if he's drafted at #4 to play LT when we already have two of them, he must be outright great at everything, not just ok or even merely starter-worthy.

• Upvote 1

This is pretty much what I've heard over the past few days. Baring something unforeseen, expect their pick at 4 to be Sauce Gardner or Ickey Ekwonu. The team does not consider CB or OT to be glaring "need" positions, but the team sees both these guys as bonafide top 5 talents who play at premium positions. 

From there, they will likely address DE and WR at 10-through-38. 

One thing to note: if they miss out on Sauce and take Ekwonu, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll draft a CB in the top 38, and likewise for OL. They have guys they really like at both positions, but again, its about value at #4. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is pretty much what I've heard over the past few days. Baring something unforeseen, expect their pick at 4 to be Sauce Gardner or Ickey Ekwonu. The team does not consider CB or OT to be glaring "need" positions, but the team sees both these guys as bonafide top 5 talents who play at premium positions. 

One thing to note: if they miss out on Sauce and take Ekwonu, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll draft a CB in the top 38, and likewise for OL. They have guys they really like at both positions, but again, its about value at #4. 

That makes the most sense. 

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Is there a scenario where they go ekongwu at 4 and a wr at 10?

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Ekwonu is the pick what have you heard regarding how things will play out at the T position (provided Becton, Fant and Ekwonu are all healthy) heading into the season?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Umm, got any nuggets?

: )

6 hours ago, football guy said:

Here are the tea leaves as I see them… 

1. JAX: DE Walker 
2. DET: DE Hutchinson 
3. HOU: CB Gardner 
4. NYJ: OL Ekwonu 

It sounds like #4 is going to be Ekwonu or Gardner, with both viewed as legit top 5 talents.  From there it becomes complicated, but they will surely to address DE and WR by 38. 

I’m sticking with the following: 

1(4) OL Ickey Ekwonu 
1(10) DE Kayvon Thibodeaux 
1(18) WR Drake London* 

*TRADE: 35, 38, 69 to PHI for 18, 51 and 101

Sorry just saw this nugget.  Please feel free to post or DM for anymore - thanks  much

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Is there a scenario where they go ekongwu at 4 and a wr at 10?

I haven't gotten specifics. What I know is that they seem to be settled in at Sauce or Ickey at #4 (don't know the order), and that the plan at #10-38 will include addressing DE and WR. 

The person I speak to specifically said DE at #10 but mentioned they love London and could see us trading back up for him. I don't know what that means as far as their draft plans or the order of their board. Assume they selected Ekwonu at #4 as the BPA and Thibodeaux, Johnson, and London are there at #10, I have a hard time believing that Saleh and his defensive coaches would be OK with the team selecting a WR over a defensive player, and I have a hard time believing Douglas would feel the same. Yes, they desperately want to add a WR to the group, but they also know that the guys they pursued pre-draft were not top 15 picks... I don't think that means they'll sit around and wait for a receiver just because, but I don't know that they feel pressured to take a WR at 10 either. 

I didn't get an answer what they would do at #10 if they took Sauce at #4. I would assume that opens things up to go DE, OL, WR depending how their board is stacked. 

My gut feeling? The Jets want to add an offensive player and a defensive player with their top 2 picks. I don't think its impossible to see them go OL-WR or CB-DE, but more likely they'll want to invest on both sides of the ball. The #4 pick will come down to pure BPA, whereas I feel like the coaches will have more influence at #10. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I haven't gotten specifics. What I know is that they seem to be settled in at Sauce or Ickey at #4 (don't know the order), and that the plan at #10-38 will include addressing DE and WR. 

The person I speak to specifically said DE at #10 but mentioned they love London and could see us trading back up for him. I don't know what that means as far as their draft plans or the order of their board. Assume they selected Ekwonu at #4 as the BPA and Thibodeaux, Johnson, and London are there at #10, I have a hard time believing that Saleh and his defensive coaches would be OK with the team selecting a WR over a defensive player, and I have a hard time believing Douglas would feel the same. Yes, they desperately want to add a WR to the group, but they also know that the guys they pursued pre-draft were not top 15 picks... I don't think that means they'll sit around and wait for a receiver just because, but I don't know that they feel pressured to take a WR at 10 either. 

I didn't get an answer what they would do at #10 if they took Sauce at #4. I would assume that opens things up to go DE, OL, WR depending how their board is stacked. 

My gut feeling? The Jets want to add an offensive player and a defensive player with their top 2 picks. I don't think its impossible to see them go OL-WR or CB-DE, but more likely they'll want to invest on both sides of the ball. The #4 pick will come down to pure BPA, whereas I feel like the coaches will have more influence at #10. 

This is great stuff.  It does seem like if they go cb at 4 then wr would be the favorite at 10 b/c the best tackles would likely be gone.  

Given the roster construction, I think they’d need to think Ekwonu is going to become a Trent Williams level tackle in order to take him at 4. I still don’t see how you play a guy with pass protection questions day one with Wilson at QB.

I’ve also been critical of teams having narrow views on top of the draft guys and forcing guys to play when they aren’t ready so I’d respect having the stones to redshirt him behind Fant or something, but man they’d need to have some conviction to make that pick. I guess not too different from taking Wilson at 2 last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I have never seen a fan base so eager to dump on and bail on it's young players.   The guy has been working non stop with his personal trainer and not be attending VOLUNTARY OTAs to be with his girlfriend as she is expecting their first child.   Can everyone calm the **** down and find something else to whine and bitch about?  Do you really think he is not going to come into camp ready to go?  THIS IS HIS CAREER, not yours.   All the stupid speculation is just that stupid speculation.  Folks are getting themselves all worked up over nothing.  He got hurt last year, it happens.  The level of HATE against our own young players truly is disgusting; whether it is Becton, Wilson or Mims.  It is like we really don't deserve to have a good team; we are so incredibly impatient and  refuse to give players a chance to either adjust, overcome injuries or any other adversity they experience.  First thing folks scream is BUST, CUT HIM, TRADE HIM, DRAFT HIS REPLACEMENT BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.  I wish some of you would just step back, take a breath and allow things to play out, with at least a positive slant instead of doom and gloom 24/7.  Makes reading this board less and less enjoyable. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I have never seen a fan base so eager to dump on and bail on it's young players.   The guy has been working non stop with his personal trainer and not be attending VOLUNTARY OTAs to be with his girlfriend as she is expecting their first child.   Can everyone calm the **** down and find something else to whine and bitch about?  Do you really think he is not going to come into camp ready to go?  THIS IS HIS CAREER, not yours.   All the stupid speculation is just that stupid speculation.  Folks are getting themselves all worked up over nothing.  He got hurt last year, it happens.  The level of HATE against our own young players truly is disgusting; whether it is Becton, Wilson or Mims.  It is like we really don't deserve to have a good team; we are so incredibly impatient and  refuse to give players a chance to either adjust, overcome injuries or any other adversity they experience.  First thing folks scream is BUST, CUT HIM, TRADE HIM, DRAFT HIS REPLACEMENT BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.  I wish some of you would just step back, take a breath and allow things to play out, with at least a positive slant instead of doom and gloom 24/7.  Makes reading this board less and less enjoyable. 

If they plan on moving on from him, I'm pretty sure it's more then just skipping voluntary OTAs. It would be a number of things. 

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

If they plan on moving on from him, I'm pretty sure it's more then just skipping voluntary OTAs. It would be a number of things. 

Who said they plan on moving on from him????  NO ONE. Again this is just stupid speculation and really a waste of time.   But I am personally done with the topic.  We can reconvene when he is no longer on the team.  Until then, he is competing for the Left or right tackle position should be starting for us in the fall.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thanks, as always for your insights.  The elephant in the room for me is what they do with Fant and Becton if they go OT in round 1.  Does one of them get traded immediately, or maybe late in training camp after a competition and/or health statuses are assessed, or do they actually go into the season with a valuable asset sitting on the bench?  For me, having Ickey, Becton, or Fant sitting on the bench, just for insurance, is a lot different than having Moses potentially sitting on the bench last year.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

Do the Jets really feel that Ekwonu is a LT?  

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

Do the Jets really feel that Ekwonu is a LT?  

That is an emphatic yes. 

Also, Connor Rogers stirring the pot a bit with his latest tweeting activity, indicating that Jermaine Johnson is an option at #4 and that the Jets would take him over Kayvon Thibodeaux. 

I've been saying this for a while now to whoever was willing to listen: Jets final draft board likely will have Hutchinson, Walker, and Johnson rated higher than Thibodeaux. I can still see a scenario where the Jets take Thibodeaux, but it would be at #10, not #4. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Didn't Moses come here with both Fant and Becton on the Roster ? Was that a guarantee he was going to start ? Just askin

Totally different situation. Moses was released well after the draft at that time. This time around, he was a UFA at the start of free agency, and well before the draft. IOW, this offseason he's shopping himself while teams are buying; a year ago he was shopping himself after teams had already finished buying.

He signed here because, given the late timing, competing with Fant was the best opportunity he could get. His only other alternative was to sit out and wait for a team to have its RT go on IR, with the hopes that happened early enough that he could make up the lost wages. 

• Upvote 1