Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I haven't gotten specifics. What I know is that they seem to be settled in at Sauce or Ickey at #4 (don't know the order), and that the plan at #10-38 will include addressing DE and WR. 

My gut feeling? The Jets want to add an offensive player and a defensive player with their top 2 picks. I don't think its impossible to see them go OL-WR or CB-DE, but more likely they'll want to invest on both sides of the ball. The #4 pick will come down to pure BPA, whereas I feel like the coaches will have more influence at #10. 

That's depressing

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Pass blocking is why Cross is gaining so much momentum the past few weeks.  No one is considered a better pass blocker at the Tackle position in this draft than him.  

Ekwonu is a mauler, and if drafted they are looking at him as a RT more than a LT.  The issue we can say is we dont know how becton is as a LT in pass blocking situations and having two Tackles that are alright in that spot definitely weakens the pass blocking slightly.  Even though the run game either way would be very very deep. 

I had Cross the most underrated OT for a while, but it seems that has caught up with him. He won't make it to #10 any longer i don't think

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, football guy said:

This is pretty much what I've heard over the past few days. Baring something unforeseen, expect their pick at 4 to be Sauce Gardner or Ickey Ekwonu. The team does not consider CB or OT to be glaring "need" positions, but the team sees both these guys as bonafide top 5 talents who play at premium positions. 

From there, they will likely address DE and WR at 10-through-38. 

One thing to note: if they miss out on Sauce and take Ekwonu, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll draft a CB in the top 38, and likewise for OL. They have guys they really like at both positions, but again, its about value at #4. 

Ickey and Sauce are two of my favorite players in the draft. Can’t go wrong there

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Let’s say the jets take gardener at 4, but at 10 all the other OTs and thibs are gone.  Would the jets take london there?

If the Jets take Gardner at 4, pray pray pray all the other OTs are gone.

My nightmare is a CB and an OT i.e. no WR and no EDGE with either of our high 1st round picks, while those are probably the two biggest team needs (LB rounding out the top three, but none seem to be projected that high, even in a draft class that's weak up top). 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

At least it won't be Hamilton.  Small victories...

lol

I'm sure Ekwonu will be a good player, from all the internet love on him, but is adding him - particularly in his rookie season - really going to make such a night & day improvement to the OL?  I mean night & day akin to filling a gaping open hole, like the way an edge would be opposite Lawson or a premium WR added to our group. And unlike OL, they can use him in spurts until he's up to speed at either of those positions; OL he's on the field as the team deals with his growing pains on every passing down. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If the Jets take Gardner at 4, pray pray pray all the other OTs are gone.

My nightmare is a CB and an OT i.e. no WR and no EDGE with either of our high 1st round picks, while those are probably the two biggest team needs (LB rounding out the top three, but none seem to be projected that high, even in a draft class that's weak up top). 

Football Outsiders have us taking Neal at #4 and Hamilton at #10.

This place would be f*cking nuclear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

lol

I'm sure Ekwonu will be a good player, from all the internet love on him, but is adding him - particularly in his rookie season - really going to make such a night & day improvement to the OL?  I mean night & day akin to filling a gaping open hole, like the way an edge would be opposite Lawson or a premium WR added to our group. And unlike OL, they can use him in spurts until he's up to speed at either of those positions; OL he's on the field as the team deals with his growing pains on every passing down. 

I think ekongwu will be gone, he’s probably the safest OT and in a weak draft i think the Texans will take him.  I fear JJ to the jets at 4 if the first 3 picks are ekongwu/hutch/gardener.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Given the roster construction, I think they’d need to think Ekwonu is going to become a Trent Williams level tackle in order to take him at 4. I still don’t see how you play a guy with pass protection questions day one with Wilson at QB.

I’ve also been critical of teams having narrow views on top of the draft guys and forcing guys to play when they aren’t ready so I’d respect having the stones to redshirt him behind Fant or something, but man they’d need to have some conviction to make that pick. I guess not too different from taking Wilson at 2 last year.

In my opinion they view Ekwonu as Becton without the size, but also without the inherent motivation and weight issues. Personally I'd contend that pass protecting out of your tackles is more of a priority than a dominating run blocker. Not to mention that I view it as a horrendous use of asset allocation...

It also may speak to what they feel internally about Becton. While publicly they've claimed that they're planning on entering the season around him, it's possible that they've decided to move on. Not happy about it personally as I think there's plenty of good tackle depth in this draft, but also may lend credence to Saleh's statement that they're wrestling over OL vs DL at 4.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol

If we add Ickey, I want to add Linda Baum in the 2nd if that's a possibility too.  Just put the "we need OL" thing to bed for a few years.

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Football Outsiders have us taking Neal at #4 and Hamilton at #10.

This place would be f*cking nuclear. 

And rightfully so. 

Hey, we should've known better than to draft a mammoth sized tackle in Becton. Let's get rid of him...and draft the player who's closest to his physical clone at #4. And then draft a safety with DE/DT speed at #10.

It couldn't possibly happen...could it?

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we add Ickey, I want to add Linda Baum in the 2nd if that's a possibility too.  Just put the "we need OL" thing to bed for a few years.

I'd just as soon have them draft Linda Baum, out of Temple Beth Shalom in Flushing, as have them draft a LT in round 1 and a C in round 2 while the team needs neither.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

That is an emphatic yes. 

Also, Connor Rogers stirring the pot a bit with his latest tweeting activity, indicating that Jermaine Johnson is an option at #4 and that the Jets would take him over Kayvon Thibodeaux. 

I've been saying this for a while now to whoever was willing to listen: Jets final draft board likely will have Hutchinson, Walker, and Johnson rated higher than Thibodeaux. I can still see a scenario where the Jets take Thibodeaux, but it would be at #10, not #4. 

So they will have 3 players better suited for LTs on the squad?  I guess they can move becton to RT and maybe that is why they also wanted an experienced guard (Tomlinson) next to a rookie LT.

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Whether or not it's a good move, I can easily talk myself into Ekwonu.  

1) It'll feel like a safe pick.

2) It'll feel like we got a guy worthy of being drafted that high.  He's been called "the best player in the draft" by some.

3) It'll take the pressure off Zach (literally and figuratively) if we build a dominant OL.

4) It will give the Jets an identity.  We'll be a nasty physical team ("ground and pound") that wears our opponents down.  That will soften up the defense for Zach to hit some higher percentage throws.

5) We'll still have another 1st rounder.  I could be wrong but it feels like we're more likely to trade down at #10 (possibly it would makes sense for a team to come up for a QB there).

Good points.

Ekwonu is a stud who is a great fit for this offensive. He can pass protect great, but, as you point out, he is nasty in the run game and athletic to handle LaFleur's zone running game. 

The frustration is having to put more resources into the o line, but this guy (barring injury) is a 10-12 year starter. 

3 hours ago, football guy said:

This is pretty much what I've heard over the past few days. Baring something unforeseen, expect their pick at 4 to be Sauce Gardner or Ickey Ekwonu. The team does not consider CB or OT to be glaring "need" positions, but the team sees both these guys as bonafide top 5 talents who play at premium positions. 

From there, they will likely address DE and WR at 10-through-38. 

One thing to note: if they miss out on Sauce and take Ekwonu, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll draft a CB in the top 38, and likewise for OL. They have guys they really like at both positions, but again, its about value at #4. 

At the end of the day, that's what a top 5 pick should be: a top talent at a premium position (QB, Edge, LT, CB, WR). There's no QB (and we don't need one) or WR worth #4. If the top Edge players are gone, and/or Thibs & Walker are there but they don't like them, then it's CB or OT.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And rightfully so. 

Hey, we should've known better than to draft a mammoth sized tackle in Becton. Let's get rid of him...and draft the player who's closest to his physical clone at #4. And then draft a safety with DE/DT speed at #10.

It couldn't possibly happen...could it?

pennywise dance GIF

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Whether or not it's a good move, I can easily talk myself into Ekwonu.  

1) It'll feel like a safe pick.

2) It'll feel like we got a guy worthy of being drafted that high.  He's been called "the best player in the draft" by some.

3) It'll take the pressure off Zach (literally and figuratively) if we build a dominant OL.

4) It will give the Jets an identity.  We'll be a nasty physical team ("ground and pound") that wears our opponents down.  That will soften up the defense for Zach to hit some higher percentage throws.

5) We'll still have another 1st rounder.  I could be wrong but it feels like we're more likely to trade down at #10 (possibly it would makes sense for a team to come up for a QB there).

Thanks for this - I'm trying to find a list of things to feel positive about if we do go Ekwonu at 4, and it was proving difficult. For all that he is a strong prospect it just doesn't feel like a fit, so I need something to fall back on.

Now watch as he's taken at 3. ;-) 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

This summary of the Becton situation from reddit 

Summary of the Becton situation:

- Becton missed 30% of 2020 and almost all of 2021 (percentage of offensive snaps). He's suffered 3 major injuries since he came into the league. Shoulder injury in 2020, plantar fasciitis in 2020/2021 and knee cap dislocation and MCL sprain in 2021.

- Becton came into 2021 in terrible shape and was getting destroyed by Carl Lawson in camp. Lawson is good but it's not like he's a top 10 defensive end. Offensive coordinator publicly called out Becton for his issues during 2021 training camp. [Link](https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2021/09/10/ny-jets-mekhi-becton-confused-oc-mike-lafleur-comments/5755285001/)

- Becton was supposed to miss 4 to 8 weeks in 2021, per the Jets front office, but he ended up missing the entire season. He got really fat during that time which is pretty much irredeemable as a professional athlete [Link](https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89287/can-new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-disprove-critics-as-he-approaches-pivotal-year). Head coach publicly called out Becton during the 2021 offseason saying that his issues were mental and that the left tackle job would be a competition going forward [Link](https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/02/01/robert-saleh-lt-competition-mekhi-becton-george-fant/). Saleh also made some indirect comments about how he wants players that consistently show up and aren't changed by money during a press conference. [Link, don't know the timestamp](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4LVlpSM72s&t=2187s)

- His trainer, Duke Manyweather kind of acts as Becton's hypeman (Duke's a good guy and good on him for doing that). Duke brought up that the injury wasn't a 4-12 week injury and that it was a much bigger injury [Link](https://twitter.com/BigDuke50/status/1512862947932057602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw). A few things: where did the communication fail between Becton's team, the doctor, and the Jet's front office where the Jets were under the impression that this was a 4-8 week injury? Why didn't the Jets provide an update to the fans and say it was way more serious? If the doctor failed to communicate the injury timeline to Becton or the Jets, isn't that pretty serious malpractice? Are they investigating/suing the surgeon for malpractice? Was this a failure on Becton's team to communicate to the Jets? This is one of a couple really weird miscommunications between Becton and the Jets.

- During the 2022 offseason, the Jets gave Becton till OTA's to be in shape [Link](https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1482415658113634308?lang=en). This was essentially 7.5 months to recover from the 4-8 week injury. Becton did not show up to OTA's when most of the oline and team did. His reasoning was that he is expecting his first child in May (understandable). During the OTA press conference, another strange miscommunication occurred where our GM appeared to not know the reason that Becton was missing OTA's [Link around 20 minutes](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nrvq3gug-A). Our center, Connor McGovern, was absent from OTA's due to child birth as well but the GM was fully aware that McGovern was absent due to his child's birth and brought it up right away when asked about McGovern's absence (refer to above link - a little bit before the 20 minute timestamp). If our GM was unaware that Becton was having a kid, it's another poor instance of communication between Becton's team and the Jet's front office. If our GM was aware, and chose not to say why Becton was absent, then it probably means that he was upset that Becton wasn't attending.

- Becton is constantly bitching about fans that question his work ethic on twitter. Him and his trainer post workout videos of him doing cardio routines that everyone and their mother can do. Becton essentially needs haters in order to motivate himself to not be obese and he's only been in the league for 2 years. He doesn't seem to be self motivated. 

- Becton can be traded post June 1 for a $2mm dead money hit to the cap which the Jets can afford since we have the least in dead money of all teams in the league.

- Fant only has 1 year left on his contract. Fant, in his best year, played above average. He wasn't anything good or special. He's consistent and a good presence and the team is trying to re-sign him. However he has considerable leverage since Becton is such a big question mark.

- The Jets are looking at starting 2023 with possibly 2 huge holes at offensive tackle which is one of the most important positions on offense after QB. The 2023 offensive tackle draft class does not look good thus far. Similar to 2021 when they replaced an injury-prone player with some upside in Darnold, they could do the same with Becton. I'm pretty sure the Jets don't want to sign Becton to a big contract after his rookie contract is over since he can't motivate himself and he's gone through several injuries. So why not cut the cord a year early and take a blue chip prospect like Ekwonu/Neal/Cross at 4?

That's a condensed summary. There are beat writers and Jets podcasters who have talked about it as well and they actually spoke to Jets' staff at various venues.

Well damn, that sucked. Thanks Bit. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Saleh has been the coach here for little over a year. This has been his experience with Becton in that time:

1. Shows up to OTAs out of shape

2. Immediately goes down with fat guy foot injury

3. Spends summer getting humiliated by Lawson

4. Gets pummeled by every Packer in front of Saleh’s best friend.

5. Gets injured Game One.

6. Mysteriously misses the entire season. Whether you think it was legitimate or not, or that he dogged his rehab or not, Becton was unavailable all year and Saleh had to answer questions about it all year.

7. Flash forward to 2022 and Becton is a no-show to voluntaries. 

If you were a new manager at a Widget factory, Mekhi Becton is the first employee you’d fire, if only to make an example out of them. 

They can’t go into the season relying exclusively on becton.  I believe at this point that ekongwu is plan A.  If he’s gone, they’ll probably take thibs or JJ and then try to get an OT at 10 like cross.  

If they don’t draft an OT and the tackle starters on opening day are fant and edoga, we’re starting into the abyss of another lost season and another regime change.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh has been the coach here for little over a year. This has been his experience with Becton in that time:

1. Shows up to OTAs out of shape

2. Immediately goes down with fat guy foot injury

3. Spends summer getting humiliated by Lawson

4. Gets pummeled by every Packer in front of Saleh’s best friend.

5. Gets injured Game One.

6. Mysteriously misses the entire season. Whether you think it was legitimate or not, or that he dogged his rehab or not, Becton was unavailable all year and Saleh had to answer questions about it all year.

7. Flash forward to 2022 and Becton is a no-show to voluntaries. 

If you were a new manager at a Widget factory, Mekhi Becton is the first employee you’d fire, if only to make an example out of them. 

Is this… bad?

• Haha 3

If all the Becton rumors are true then not only do we need a LT, we need a RT as well, because I believe Ekwonu was always going to be the RT here due to his better skills as a run blocker. I don't believe they wanted to extend Fant, but they may have to at some point change their mind at that, because of Becton. If he can't replace Fant as the LT of the future you may be looking at drafting 2 OT's in this years draft. One up top, and one near the bottom as developmental. If not this year, then for sure another LT in 2023.