Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

All discussion of need aside he's exactly what jd wants out of a high draft pick 

Better than signing a stop gap like Dennis Kelly or Bryan Bulaga 

Would you be happy or pissed if Jets took Cross at 4 if their 1st or 2nd edge guys were off the board? I still think Cross has shot to go #1 to Jags, FWIW.

Just now, Grandy said:

Don't hate me for saying this, but I actually like Ekwonu at 4. Even if Sauce, KT, and JJ are there.

As of right now I dig the scenario of Ickey at 4, JJ at 10, and trade back into the first for a WR (maybe take another in the 2nd as well). Would still like a top flight WR no matter what though.

I wish we all knew the truth about Becton.  But we don't.  I suspect that Ickey is gone before 4, especially since Neal allegedly has some medical concerns.  If the truth about Becton is bad, then grab Cross at 10 (but with the Neal medical allegation, Cross too moves up.  It's a big mess at the moment.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Don't hate me for saying this, but I actually like Ekwonu at 4. Even if Sauce, KT, and JJ are there.

As of right now I dig the scenario of Ickey at 4, JJ at 10, and trade back into the first for a WR (maybe take another in the 2nd as well). Would still like a top flight WR no matter what though.

Ickey and JJ would be IDEAL.  Just wish they could also get Sauce too

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I wish we all knew the truth about Becton.  But we don't.  I suspect that Ickey is gone before 4, especially since Neal allegedly has some medical concerns.  If the truth about Becton is bad, then grab Cross at 10 (but with the Neal medical allegation, Cross too moves up.  It's a big mess at the moment.  

this is why i believe nothing right now. Alot of smoke

and walter football is still ? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I expect Ickey to be gone by 4.  Jags or Texans may scoop him up.  Ickey and Sauce are the two best players in the draft.  Hutch is wildly overrated, Thibs has bust potential and Travon Walker is a 5 technique for a 34 defense and not a true 4-3 Edge Rusher. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/25/2022 at 10:30 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Pass blocking is why Cross is gaining so much momentum the past few weeks.  No one is considered a better pass blocker at the Tackle position in this draft than him.  

Ekwonu is a mauler, and if drafted they are looking at him as a RT more than a LT.  The issue we can say is we dont know how becton is as a LT in pass blocking situations and having two Tackles that are alright in that spot definitely weakens the pass blocking slightly.  Even though the run game either way would be very very deep. 

Ickey is being labeled as mauler type, but he has all he needs to be a great LT even though he is not as long as guys like Brick.  It would be fantastic to be able to run around the left side if you have q QB that tends to move to his right very often.  A run blocking LT is an amazingly good asset to have

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Ickey is being labeled as mauler type, but he has all he needs to be a great LT even though he is not as long as guys like Brick.  It would be fantastic to be able to run around the left side if you have q QB that tends to move to his right very often.  A run blocking LT is an amazingly good asset to have

not a bad problem to have, just may have two guys that are slightly lacking as pass blockers on the edges of your defense.  Its being hyper critical of the situation.  If becton returns to form and you draft Ekwonu, no one will complain about the quality of offensive line unless you really want to split hairs. 

• Upvote 1

What I think we are missing is Fant's age, his only one year of major production, and the idea that his contract is up after this year. Rewind to Summer 2021 and everybody was blasting George Fant - he was somebody that people regularly knocked JD about. One good season and now we are set with him? If Becton is healthy, he's a monster. Drafting Ickey at 4 puts him as the opposite bookend and gives the Jets one of the best OL's in the NFL heading into training camp.

I would prefer a premier pass rusher or Sauce, since Fant did have such a solid season last year and could be extended for a couple of years. But you could see the identity of this team being put together with Ekwonu at 4.

I understand 'it hasn't been done before' with regards to drafting OL in round 1 three years in a row, but we have the luxury of 2 top 10 picks.

Also... trends aren't built until they are. 10 years ago, trading away all your draft picks was lunacy and could never result in a Superbowl. Enter the Rams, who are now Superbowl champs and upcoming NFC favorites, and it's suddenly not such a bad idea. There are a lot of worse things to invest in than an elite OL.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

- Becton missed 30% of 2020 and almost all of 2021 (percentage of offensive snaps). He's suffered 3 major injuries since he came into the league. Shoulder injury in 2020, plantar fasciitis in 2020/2021 and knee cap dislocation and MCL sprain in 2021.

He also suffered a concussion during joint practices against the Eagles.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

What I think we are missing is Fant's age, his only one year of major production, and the idea that his contract is up after this year. Rewind to Summer 2021 and everybody was blasting George Fant - he was somebody that people regularly knocked JD about. One good season and now we are set with him? If Becton is healthy, he's a monster. Drafting Ickey at 4 puts him as the opposite bookend and gives the Jets one of the best OL's in the NFL heading into training camp.

I would prefer a premier pass rusher or Sauce, since Fant did have such a solid season last year and could be extended for a couple of years. But you could see the identity of this team being put together with Ekwonu at 4.

I understand 'it hasn't been done before' with regards to drafting OL in round 1 three years in a row, but we have the luxury of 2 top 10 picks.

Also... trends aren't built until they are. 10 years ago, trading away all your draft picks was lunacy and could never result in a Superbowl. Enter the Rams, who are now Superbowl champs and upcoming NFC favorites, and it's suddenly not such a bad idea. There are a lot of worse things to invest in than an elite OL.

That's a great point. Those who have argued against going o-line again are saying it's never been done 3 years in a row. The difference for us is that we had/have 2 1st round picks last year and this year. That changes the equation dramatically and gives us more flexibility to do it

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Please provide a list of viable free agent starting tackles. You mentioned 10. I'll spot you 1

Eric Fisher btw is basically done after the Achilles. 

9 more please 

First off, I intentionally said about 10 not exactly 10. I posted it the other day, but (in no particular order):

1. Fisher = was still a blindside starter for a playoff team in his first year after Achilles surgery = adequate depth
  2. Bulaga
  3. Reiff
  4. Peters
  5. Duane Brown
  6. Shell
  7. Daryl Williams
  8. Solder
  9. Cannon
  10. Massie

Plus other borderline former starting tackles e.g. Remmers

...or those with G+T starting experience e.g. Flowers

...or those who are signed but may become expendable/available - for far less than a top 4 or top 10 pick, or even maybe a player swap - after the first couple draft rounds are over, if the goal is "depth" rather than an immediate starter replacement. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Even if we had prime Walter Ogden and Walter Pace on rookie deals - I would still prefer Ekwonu to JJ at #4.

Did you just decide to list a couple of the top OL of all time and assign them the first name "Walter", while failing to include Walter Jones?  lmao.

6dxo8n.jpg

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did you just decide to list a couple of the top OL of all time and assign them the first name "Walter", while failing to include Walter Jones?  lmao.

6dxo8n.jpg

I think I meant to write Walter Jones both times but remembered Ogden and Pace as I was writing lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I get why people are up in the arms, but solidifying the OL with top talent is even more important for our QBs future than a WR.

Now, I still think that we need to invest in a WR and EDGE (or 2 for either or) but Icky at 4 makes so much sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get why people are up in the arms, but solidifying the OL with top talent is even more important for our QBs future than a WR.

Now, I still think that we need to invest in a WR and EDGE (or 2 for either or) but Icky at 4 makes so much sense.

I think ickey goes top 3, but if he falls to 4 i think the jets take him and flip becton, maybe even on draft night.  

If the jets are intent on trading becton but ickey is drafted top 3, i wonder what the jets do then.  Would they love cross enough to take him, he does seem to fit the scheme better. 

Odds of Icky going No 1 overall just dramatically increased.

Daniel Jeremiah on yesterday's Move The Sticks podcast. "There is a battle between Trent Balke and Doug Peterson as to who pick at 1". 

DJ thinks it's going to be  Icky at one because he believes Doug Peterson will win this one.

Chris Simms shared the same thing during his mock draft dropped yesterday, Monday...

Unless he is photographed smoking a bong, Ickey is likely not falling to the Jets at 4.

Will it be Sauce? a pass rusher? another tackle?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Gangrene said:

Odds of Icky going No 1 overall just dramatically increased.

Daniel Jeremiah on yesterday's Move The Sticks podcast. "There is a battle between Trent Balke and Doug Peterson as to who pick at 1". 

DJ thinks it's going to be  Icky at one because he believes Doug Peterson will win this one.

Chris Simms shared the same thing during his mock draft dropped yesterday, Monday...

Unless he is photographed smoking a bong, Ickey is likely not falling to the Jets at 4.

Will it be Sauce? a pass rusher? another tackle?

Icky goes 1, hutch goes 2.  Jets are getting 1 of sauce/thibs/neal.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Icky goes 1, hutch goes 2.  Jets are getting 1 of sauce/thibs/neal.  

Or Walker. Ekwonu is one thing but, if they’re giving up on Becton, it’s hard to imagine them replacing him with another 370lb OT. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Or Walker. Ekwonu is one thing but, if they’re giving up on Becton, it’s hard to imagine them replacing him with another 370lb OT. 

Assuming they decide that Becton not in the plans, I'd consider taking KT at 4 and 'cross' fingers that Cross is at 10, then that's what I'd do.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First off, I intentionally said about 10 not exactly 10. I posted it the other day, but (in no particular order):

1. Fisher = was still a blindside starter for a playoff team in his first year after Achilles surgery = adequate depth
  2. Bulaga
  3. Reiff
  4. Peters
  5. Duane Brown
  6. Shell
  7. Daryl Williams
  8. Solder
  9. Cannon
  10. Massie

Plus other borderline former starting tackles e.g. Remmers

...or those with G+T starting experience e.g. Flowers

...or those who are signed but may become expendable/available - for far less than a top 4 or top 10 pick, or even maybe a player swap - after the first couple draft rounds are over, if the goal is "depth" rather than an immediate starter replacement. 

I appreciate the effort but that's a very injury prone list. They are not going to bring back Brandon Shell. And half of these guys are pure left tackles like Duane brown and solder. Replacement level is how this group can be described 

Huge FWIW, but I’ve been listening to some NFL podcasts at work today and a few different NFL-connected people have made passing references to Becton being on his way out of New York. Not in a verified rumor kind of way, but more in the context of explaining why they’d draft Ekonwu at 4. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yep. Smoke—->Fire

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/04/26/rumor-mekhi-becton-will-never-play-ny-jets/

“I don’t think we talk enough about Mekhi Becton. There are plenty of people around the league who believe that he’ll never put on a Jets jersey again. They think that ship has sailed.”

Fwiw, Mina Kimes hinted that the prevailing rumor is that it’s Becton who wants out. Bad look for the Jets. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Fwiw, Mina Kimes hinted that the prevailing rumor is that it’s Becton who wants out. Bad look for the Jets. 

It's hard for a morbidly obese person to play professional football, but not as hard as it is to believe how many people so dramatically underestimated how hard it is for a morbidly obese person to play professional football.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

It's hard for a morbidly obese person to play professional football, but not as hard as it is to believe how many people so dramatically underestimated how hard it is for a morbidly obese person to play professional football.

41B5D052-AA4E-4580-8303-64DB720BB5EA.thumb.png.6088fb5cd5ec209fea3dcd32c82c32a2.png

9 hours ago, Grandy said:

Love this!