NBA full roster: Old School vs. New School, who wins?

…in their prime with no injuries, best of 7

Old School:

C- Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Akeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O’Neil

PF- Tim Duncan, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett 

SF- Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Charles Barkley

SG- Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Reggie Miller

PG- Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, John Stockton

vs.

New School

C-Nikola Jokic, Joel Embiid, Dwight Howard

PF- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson

SF- LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard

SG- James Harden, Devin Booker, Luca Doncic

PG- Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving 

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

Are you playing with old school foul rules or new school?

Because if you let guys play physical like they did 20+ years ago, this isn't a game.

Meaning you're letting the younger guys play more physical and they'd dominate?

16 hours ago, HessStation said:

…in their prime with no injuries, best of 7

Old School:

C- Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Akeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O’Neil

PF- Tim Duncan, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett 

SF- Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Charles Barkley

SG- Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Reggie Miller

PG- Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, John Stockton

vs.

New School

C-Nikola Jokic, Joel Embiid, Dwight Howard

PF- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson

SF- LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard

SG- James Harden, Devin Booker, Luca Doncic

PG- Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving 

I think the old school bigs would dominate this. 

But my god would I love a ticket to this game lol

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Old school has Kobe? He stopped playing 5 years ago or something. 

2016, maybe more interesting a 5 vs 5

C- Akeem Olajuwon 

PF- Karl Malone

SF- Larry Bird 

SG- Michael Jordan

PG- Magic Johnson 

vs.

C- Shaquille O’Neil

PF- Tim Duncan

SF- LeBron James

SG- Kobe Bryant

PG- Steph Curry

21 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2016, maybe more interesting a 5 vs 5

C- Akeem Olajuwon 

PF- Karl Malone

SF- Larry Bird 

SG- Michael Jordan

PG- Magic Johnson 

vs.

C- Shaquille O’Neil

PF- Tim Duncan

SF- LeBron James

SG- Kobe Bryant

PG- Steph Curry

Magic over Curry

Jordan over Kobe

James Bird push

Duncan Karl push

Olajuwon over Shaq

Old school wins

• Upvote 1

On 4/21/2022 at 5:31 PM, chirorob said:

Are you playing with old school foul rules or new school?

Because if you let guys play physical like they did 20+ years ago, this isn't a game.

Add the old rules where you take two steps for a layup , not the two steps then jump stop then pass or shoot or when you had to dribble and not put your hand underneath and palm it. Old School wins and it’s not even close. 
And give me the 73 Knicks championship team which had 7 Hall of Famers

Red Holtzman

Willis Reed 

Clyde

The Pearl

Jerry Lucas

DeBusscher

Phil Jackson.
That team beats any one of todays teams 

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:19 AM, Matt39 said:

Meaning you're letting the younger guys play more physical and they'd dominate?

Hell no younger guys don’t dominate as they would complain about getting a hard foul and start fighting 

56 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Hell no younger guys don’t dominate as they would complain about getting a hard foul and start fighting 

The new guys are obviously more athletic.

Look at the old footage of the Detroit Bad Boys pounding on Jordan, then, him getting tougher and sweeping them out of the playoffs.   Now, watch Lebron flopping all over the court, and tell me who would you rather have, Jordan or LeBron?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

The new guys are obviously more athletic.

Look at the old footage of the Detroit Bad Boys pounding on Jordan, then, him getting tougher and sweeping them out of the playoffs.   Now, watch Lebron flopping all over the court, and tell me who would you rather have, Jordan or LeBron?  

Chiro Jordan beyond a doubt but I can’t say they are more athletic because of the different application of rules then as opposed to now. Then you had to dribble the ball now bringing the ball up the court you can take two steps for every bounce of the ball. Same thing goes for driving to the hoop it’s no more two steps and ball has to come out now you can basically carry the ball like a fullback before you take a shot while driving to the basket. Apply the rules of yesterday to today game these guys ( with a few exceptions) couldn’t carry the Hall of Famers of yesterday gym bag

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you consider Jordan, Bird, Kobe and Magic "old school" this is no contest.   In my opinion Oscar Robertson and Magic are still the two greatest point guards in NBA history and I've seen most of them.  Magic should be in the conversation with Jordan and LeBron as the greatest all around NBA player ever.   What Magic did as a rookie and in the playoffs as a rookie was simply insane.    

On 4/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, CSNY said:

Add the old rules where you take two steps for a layup , not the two steps then jump stop then pass or shoot or when you had to dribble and not put your hand underneath and palm it. Old School wins and it’s not even close. 
And give me the 73 Knicks championship team which had 7 Hall of Famers

Red Holtzman

Willis Reed 

Clyde

The Pearl

Jerry Lucas

DeBusscher

Phil Jackson.
That team beats any one of todays teams 

The 69 team without Pearl and with Dollar Bill was better.   The motion O that team ran was a thing of beauty.   One of my favorite teams of all time was the 1977 Portland Trailblazers.  One of the great motion O's ever.   They toyed with a stacked 76ers team to win the Championship in 6 games.   It was the quintesential dismanteling of a loaded team with talent by a underwhelming group of talent moving the ball on O and playing D. 

Of course the 3 point shot has completely changed the game.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

The 69 team without Pearl and with Dollar Bill was better.   The motion O that team ran was a thing of beauty.   One of my favorite teams of all time was the 1977 Portland Trailblazers.  One of the great motion O's ever.   They toyed with a stacked 76ers team to win the Championship in 6 games.   It was the quintesential dismanteling of a loaded team with talent by a underwhelming group of talent moving the ball on O and playing D. 

Of course the 3 point shot has completely changed the game.  

The 69-70 championship team is my all time favorite probably because of all the drama surrounding if Willis would play(still remember final of 113-99 simply because the Knicks that year lead the league in holding teams under 100 points per game) Remember listening to Marv on the radio (side jump YESSSS) in my room. When Willis hit the first two shots remembering Marv description of Clyde’s epic game and hearing the crowd go nuts was just great.

Either way can’t go wrong with either one of those squads against the teams of today 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CSNY said:

The 69-70 championship team is my all time favorite probably because of all the drama surrounding if Willis would play(still remember final of 113-99 simply because the Knicks that year lead the league in holding teams under 100 points per game) Remember listening to Marv on the radio (side jump YESSSS) in my room. When Willis hit the first two shots remembering Marv description of Clyde’s epic game and hearing the crowd go nuts was just great.

Either way can’t go wrong with either one of those squads against the teams of today 

They were both great and their is no argument that Pearl was better than Barnett.   Pearl needed the ball to be great Barnett didn't.  I thought the 69 team was just a more unselfish team with Barnett and Bradley who was an amazing off the ball player. 

I actually went to the Felt Forum under the Garden to watch game 7 on the big screen.  Couldn't get into the arena but it was still a great place to watch the game.  It was packed and almost like being in the arena.  Great atmosphere and game.

It's a shame the Garden has so few big Knick games anymore.  Madison Square with a great Knick team just rocks.

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They were both great and their is no argument that Pearl was better than Barnett.   Pearl needed the ball to be great Barnett didn't.  I thought the 69 team was just a more unselfish team with Barnett and Bradley who was an amazing off the ball player. 

I actually went to the Felt Forum under the Garden to watch game 7 on the big screen.  Couldn't get into the arena but it was still a great place to watch the game.  It was packed and almost like being in the arena.  Great atmosphere and game.

It's a shame the Garden has so few big Knick games anymore.  Madison Square with a great Knick team just rocks.

Agree but sadly those days have gone the way of the dodo bird. 
I’ve tried to watch today’s version of basketball ball but just can’t. Annoys me to no end that if you have a 3 on 1 fast break and a guy launches a 25 footer it just pisses me off. 
In our time that guy would be considered a “Chukker” and wouldn’t see the ball again 

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:56 PM, New York Mick said:

Magic over Curry

Jordan over Kobe

James Bird push

Duncan Karl push

Olajuwon over Shaq

Old school wins

Larry Bird is my favorite basketball player ever .... but he's not a push with Lebron. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 10:49 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

To completely plagiarize from Reddick, if Giannis was teleported into a 1980s NBA game they would look at him like he was a wizard. 

I think they called traveling back in the 80's?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

So glad you said this.  Every time I see the "Greek Freak", it looks like he's walking on every drive.

It's not just him.  It's ridiculous.   He's a great player and obviously can adopt to what the refs have allowed.  On the flip side watching him chuck up long range jumpers with no ability to face up and shot over a guy at 5 to 15 feet drives me batsh*t.  The three point shot has ruined the game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's not just him.  It's ridiculous.   He's a great player and obviously can adopt to what the refs have allowed.  On the flip side watching him chuck up long range jumpers with no ability to face up and shot over a guy at 5 to 15 feet drives me batsh*t.  The three point shot has ruined the game.  

It's impossible for me to watch a game with my son without making him nuts talking about the "old NBA".   I went off the other night watching guards go right down the lane without a center in the entire arena let alone in the key.  

Remember when we all lambasted Patrick Ewing for hanging by the three point line instead of under the basket?   Now, that's the game.  I respect the incredible skill the modern players have shooting the ball from deep.  But it has really changed the dynamic of the game.

23 hours ago, munchmemory said:

It's impossible for me to watch a game with my son without making him nuts talking about the "old NBA".   I went off the other night watching guards go right down the lane without a center in the entire arena let alone in the key.  

Remember when we all lambasted Patrick Ewing for hanging by the three point line instead of under the basket?   Now, that's the game.  I respect the incredible skill the modern players have shooting the ball from deep.  But it has really changed the dynamic of the game.

The rules are a part of it but it’s equally the fact that a bunch of stats nerds looked at decades worth of numbers and realized there really isn’t all that much of a difference between a 3 and a mid-range, and the negligible difference that is there makes settling for 2 stupid. That’s really the genesis of it all. The hand checking rules were changed way before the Warriors came along. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:22 AM, Biggs said:

If you consider Jordan, Bird, Kobe and Magic "old school" this is no contest.   In my opinion Oscar Robertson and Magic are still the two greatest point guards in NBA history and I've seen most of them.  Magic should be in the conversation with Jordan and LeBron as the greatest all around NBA player ever.   What Magic did as a rookie and in the playoffs as a rookie was simply insane.    

I wasn't going to post because I'll just end up telling the same stories and waving my fist at the sky, but my first thought seeing the rosters was the Big O is going to be pissed.