Hey, JD... No More "Mr. Hyde" Drafts Please....

Joe Douglas' two drafts were like "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"...

Frirst draft: Becton, Mims, Ashtyn Davis...

Definitely a "Mr Hyde" (if he was the bad one) approach: High ceiling, low floor picks... High boom or bust potential...

The Jets can't afford drafting low floor players, hoping that one will hit that high ceiling, and then getting no production out of them...

Second draft: Wilson, Tucker, Moore...

Definitely different from the first draft, more of a "Dr. Jekyll" approach: Higher floor, lower ceiling picks, more conservative, safer picks...

Higher chance for solid production, more consistent play, less boom or bust potential, which the Jets desperately need...

Will JD resist the lure of the "Mr. Hyde" (if he was the bad one) picks, and take the more conservative approach?

I certainly hope so...

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Little know fact, Richard Mansfield, the actor who originated thebrole did the transformation only with facial expression. Yes, I'm a horror movie nerd. 

That’s one helluva actor!

To facial expression his teeth to that extent was amazballs!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

That’s one helluva actor!

To facial expression his teeth to that extent was amazballs!

That one is from 1932 -- Fredric March. Mansfield was a 1920 silent. He did it mostly by facial expression and body distortion, but there are no doubt some pretty obvious makeup changes and prosthetic fingers. I always thought it was rather ludicrous to make Mr. Hyde a kind of lower primate physically. The change is emotional -- the bringing out of a primitive, impulsive self -- which really should be done through a shift in character and expression, not the usual excess hair, widened nostrils, canine teeth, etc. That seems so trite.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Definitely a "Mr Hyde" (if he was the bad one) approach: High ceiling, low floor picks... High boom or bust potential...

The Jets can't afford drafting low floor players, hoping that one will hit that high ceiling, and then getting no production out of them...

Definitely different from the first draft, more of a "Dr. Jekyll" approach: Higher floor, lower ceiling picks, more conservative, safer picks...

Higher chance for solid production, more consistent play, less boom or bust potential, which the Jets desperately need...

Will JD resist the lure of the "Mr. Hyde" (if he was the bad one) picks, and take the more conservative approach?

I certainly hope so...

He also drafted these for a different coach and style

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That one is from 1932 -- Fredric March. Mansfield was a 1920 silent. He did it mostly by facial expression and body distortion, but there are no doubt some pretty obvious makeup changes and prosthetic fingers. I always thought it was rather ludicrous to make Mr. Hyde a kind of lower primate physically. The change is emotional -- the bringing out of a primitive, impulsive self -- which really should be done through a shift in character and expression, not the usual excess hair, widened nostrils, canine teeth, etc. That seems so trite.

It was a joke 

12 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

I certainly hope so...

Everyone loves to blame Joe for everything. I think that a lot of people forget that coaching staffs also have input on draft selections based on scheme. I think Becton was JDs pick for sure, but others from the 2020 draft were certainly influenced by the coaching staff and scheme at the time (we had Dowell Logains for god sakes). It is no coincidence that he killed the 2021 draft with competent coaches around and a different scheme. Sure, it falls on the GM at the end of the day, but let's be real... a GM can't be choosing players who his coaches don't like or don't fit the scheme in place.  Joe mentioned this in the press conference yesterday briefly, too. I would assume most people didn't really even catch it. He said that they want to draft guys that "everyone is excited about, coaches AND scouts" (and GM obviously). I think that is pretty telling, and I 100% expect the Jets to kill the draft again this year with this staff in place.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Loki757 said:

Everyone loves to blame Joe for everything. I think that a lot of people forget that coaching staffs also have input on draft selections based on scheme. I think Becton was JDs pick for sure, but others from the 2020 draft were certainly influenced by the coaching staff and scheme at the time (we had Dowell Logains for god sakes). It is no coincidence that he killed the 2021 draft with competent coaches around and a different scheme. Sure, it falls on the GM at the end of the day, but let's be real... a GM can't be choosing players who his coaches don't like or don't fit the scheme in place.  Joe mentioned this in the press conference yesterday briefly, too. I would assume most people didn't really even catch it. He said that they want to draft guys that "everyone is excited about, coaches AND scouts" (and GM obviously). I think that is pretty telling, and I 100% expect the Jets to kill the draft again this year with this staff in place.

Also, everyone on the planet thought Mims was the steal of the draft at the time, NFL talking heads included. Becton was also thought of to be elite (which I still think he will be). Some good picks don't work out, that is the nature of the draft. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

If Fredric March married Tuesday Weld and they had a baby, her name would be Tuesday March the Second.

1 hour ago, Loki757 said:

I think also worth noting is that his first draft was his first draft ever, and that draft took place during Covid - meaning that he couldn’t meet with any of the prospects in person. His second draft was much better, and that could definitely be somewhat because of the new staff being  more helpful in the draft and, maybe, just better overall. Rather than some weak, forced Jekyll & Hyde analogy, maybe it’s something more like a trajectory of improvement that’s going on here. This is his first draft where he actually got to workout prospects in person. That’s a big deal, especially with polarizing potential picks like Thibs under consideration. 

Jets enter the draft with more capital than anyone else in the league. He had better nail this draft. There’s a lot riding on it, maybe his and Saleh’s careers. He needs to draft players that will make the team better now -rather than fill potential 2023 vancancies- because the heat is already on from the fans and the media disenchanted with a team that has been so bad for so long. These guys aren’t responsible for the eight or nine years of garbage this team was before they got here, but they are responsible to turn it around. He needs to bring some potential star power to this team, and I suspect that he knows it. 

• Upvote 1