Center vs. Tackle

25 minutes ago, slats said:

They’ve drafted two in the first round two years in a row, that’s more than just about any team in the league, already. This super group concept doesn’t move the needle, either, unless you mean towards more losses this season. The OL is just fine, what they really need is playmakers to block for - or a defense that can get off the field. It’s a team game, not my OL vs. your OL. Spending high picks to marginally improve the OL does nothing but take assets away from where they’re actually needed. WR, Edge, S, RB, LB, CB, TE, etc. Draft a developmental OL or two from the third round back (starting OL will be found in the third round this year, for sure). 

If they need insurance at RT, guys like Reiff, Fisher, and Shell (and plenty of others) are all still available in free agency. It’s not a position to spend a high pick on this year. 

The funny thing is if we just kept Beachum at the deal he got from AZ, moved him to RT when we signed Fant, and then drafted any one of the number of WR's available in the 2020 draft, or an LB or CB, life would be immensely different for us all.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Origen said:

The funny thing is if we just kept Beachum at the deal he got from AZ, moved him to RT when we signed Fant, and then drafted any one of the number of WR's available in the 2020 draft, or an LB or CB, life would be immensely different for us all.

The funny thing is I'm very very stoned.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2022 at 3:20 PM, slats said:

They’ve drafted two in the first round two years in a row, that’s more than just about any team in the league, already. This super group concept doesn’t move the needle, either, unless you mean towards more losses this season. The OL is just fine, what they really need is playmakers to block for - or a defense that can get off the field. It’s a team game, not my OL vs. your OL. Spending high picks to marginally improve the OL does nothing but take assets away from where they’re actually needed. WR, Edge, S, RB, LB, CB, TE, etc. Draft a developmental OL or two from the third round back (starting OL will be found in the third round this year, for sure). 

If they need insurance at RT, guys like Reiff, Fisher, and Shell (and plenty of others) are all still available in free agency. It’s not a position to spend a high pick on this year. 

You're confused about what you want vs what jd wants 

JD was an all American lineman from Richmond. He's obsessed with the line. Watch what happens 

On 4/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, Phillyjet said:

Thoughts?

Yes, it makes me wonder what an "All-in on supporting Zach Wilson and the Offense" type draft could look like:

image.thumb.png.939621f55300f6230a98f2d781d08999.png

The best Tackle and Center in the draft, two top WR prospects, a RB to pair with Carter, and a TE prospect than can sit and learn the NFL game a year behind the new FA's.

That's how a team rebuilds an offense in one year. no excuses, no "five year plans", combine with last year's draft and the Offence IS rebuilt, done, time to score some points.

And even scraped a few Defenders late, lol.  The D, admittedly, would likely still suck.  Still, better than the Offense sucking.

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, Phillyjet said:

Lots of discussion right now about the depth at tackle and the possibility of using a 1st round pick on a tackle (either Ekwonu at 4, or a Trevor Penning (who the Jets have been linked to) at 10.  But less has been discussed about the need at center.  Joe was in bigtime on Jensen in free agency.  McGovern was hurt late in the year. And I think there is likely some truth to the reports that he wanted to get nastier up front, particularly after the New England game, where the lineman did not back Zack up enough.  I also think that with Tomlinson and AVT in the fold, one of the best ways to help out your QB is to get nasty up the middle in a scheme that favors one cut runners. Opens up play action as well if our running game is stout.

I think the most likely scenario for this draft, apart from the edge/WR needs is that the Jets come out with a bonafide center, tackle, and RB to complement Carter.  This is a deep draft at center, which is partially why Linderbaum is dropping on many boards (that and his slight frame and short arms).  Rounds 2-3 are littered with solid center prospects.  I also think that if Linderbaum slips past Arizona and Dallas at 23-24 (could see Dallas going with a more stout Zion Johnson), that Linderbaum will then fall to the bottom of the round.  If he is there at 35, having passed Cincinnati, would think he would be a target.  But you’ve also got Luke Fortner, Cam Jurgens, and Ed Ingram, among others.  Jurgens may be in play high in the 2nd round as well.  The others are likely to be available in the third or fourth.  

Tackle-wise, Ekwonu at 4 would be a solid choice, particularly if KT and Hutchinson are gone.  The pick at 4 and 10 will be fascinating on Thursday in revealing JD’s team-building approach, and somewhat whether the Bechton concerns are real.  I tend to think the tackle priority is more about Fant getting older and remaining unsigned beyond next year.  Be careful of Round 2 tackles, though.  Some good analysis out there how much teams have whiffed on Round 2 tackles.  It gives you the sense that you either go tackle in Round 1, or go developmental later in the draft.  Abe Lucas stands out as the most play-ready of the group, but PAC-12 and air raid?  Raimann and Tyler Smith will need development.  Hell, Smith may be gone before the end of Round 1.  I for one don’t think the tackles are as deep as portrayed.  Elite and solid at the top, but a big fall-off from there.  Combine was atrocious for most of them, the one on one drills with the edges and tackles were mostly nauseating.  Interior offensive line is where the real depth is in this draft.  It’s principally why I think it’s more likely than not the Jets take a tackle in the first round.  Otherwise they are punting til next year… and praying that Fant and Bechton survive the season.  I feel far better about Edoga at depth than McDermott.  But it’s not good.

Thoughts?

I'd love to take the Kosher Pecker (Zion Johnson) with his long arms and past

experience he could play all three positions. Don't like the way Penning's pass

sets and I'm afraid his nasty attitude will lead to penalties rather than setting the

tone.  SR Bowl tackles I like better in cost and play Lucas, Raimann, ,

Braxton Jones and Waletzko. Interior linemen from the Sr Bowl that I like

Zakelj, a real finisher and Marquis Hayes. Still Kosher Swantz would be my

first choice hoping he falls to the second