Player Versatility & JD

chijet

We know how much JD values versatility. With that said which players do you feel fit JD’s typical approach of targeting players who can play multiple positions or fill multiple roles? 

One player that seems to make a lot of sense given the uncertainty surrounding Becton plus a need at the center position would be Zion Johnson. I’m not sure how Zion would hold up as a tackle in the NFL but he has experience at all positions across the line and has shown to be very good in a zone scheme. 

What other versatile players are you hoping the Jets target next week?

• Upvote 1

Zach Tom. Center early in his college career, played left tackle at a high level. I'm not sure it's a stretch he could play all five positions on the offensive line. Really smart dude. Elite testing numbers. He's the perfect guy to pop behind McGovern for a year and take over IMO.

I don't think they'll have a chance to draft him day two but Daxton Hill moved around in Michigan's secondary and is also a good athlete. I kind of think he fits what Saleh likes in safeties.

• Upvote 3

I can't agree or disagree as to JD's thoughts on versatility, and how he prioritizes it, but here are some versatile players:

1. Kyle Hamilton is rangy He's big enough to get in the middle with the LBs, he can rush, he can bump, he can play center field. 

2. Ickey can about play anywhere on the line you need him. He can pass pro, but I think he'll be a nasty run blocker. He can move and get around like AVT, but he could also play 10 years as LT.

3. I don't want him, but Devin Lloyd is versatile. Think of Fred Warner. Devin came in as a safety, but now he's a LB. He can go anywhere and cover most the field.

4. Travon Walker is probably going to be able to be used all over the D line.

5. If he comes back to full speed, Jamison Williams is the do-it-all-tool. PR, KR, Downfield Wideout, Slot, Sweeps, etc.

5. Treylon Burks seems like he might be able to be used like Deebo.

6. Just for fun, a late round guy: Tyler Allgeier: Fast, but not the fastest. A thumper. He played LB in college. He's a "football player." He can catch, run, get downhill, beat down other guys, special teams, etc.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Zach Tom. Center early in his college career, played left tackle at a high level. I'm not sure it's a stretch he could play all five positions on the offensive line. Really smart dude. Elite testing numbers. He's the perfect guy to pop behind McGovern for a year and take over IMO.

I don't think they'll have a chance to draft him day two but Daxton Hill moved around in Michigan's secondary and is also a good athlete. I kind of think he fits what Saleh likes in safeties.

I can see Dax hill being a guy that Saleh would like to grab.

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Polarizing for many but Hamilton is versatile 

I don't know that I want the Jets to take him, but I think he's going to be all pro for years. He's a total football player. Ed Reed ran a slow 40. However, Ed just instinctively took a step or two before anyone else, so he negated not running a a tiny bit faster by his instincts and skills. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I don't know that I want the Jets to take him, but I think he's going to be all pro for years. He's a total football player. Ed Reed ran a slow 40. However, Ed just instinctively took a step or two before anyone else, so he negated not running a a tiny bit faster by his instincts and skills. 

Ed Reed also had crazy ball production in college - and at a time offenses didn't throw as often as they do now. Not saying Hamilton will be bad, but even if he's instinctive I don't think those instincts create those big game changing plays in coverage the way Reed's did - and in a passing heavy league I think those are the premium skills.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

Ed Reed also had crazy ball production in college - and at a time offenses didn't throw as often as they do now. Not saying Hamilton will be bad, but even if he's instinctive I don't think those instincts create those big game changing plays in coverage the way Reed's did - and in a passing heavy league I think those are the premium skills.

It was probably unfair of me to compare anyone to Ed. Hamilton has plenty of his own traits. He's going to be  stud. It's clear from what he did on the field that he's heck of a player.

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Polarizing for many but Hamilton is versatile 

There's a small part of me that's worried that Hamilton might be one of the picks for a lot of reasons including versatility.  But also, if you go Edge, WR in round 1, that is a TON of money the team has to eventually shell out for extensions in the same years (assuming the picks work out). 

I could totally see one of the "selling" points on Hamilton being a safety's 2nd contract will be a lot cheaper than an Edge or WRs.

We all know how much JD likes his cap space.

I’d like to think that versatility is pretty far down the list when you’re talking about top ten picks. It’s not my concern at that stage of the draft if a guy can play any position on the OL, or LB, S, and slot CB. I want that guy to be elite at his specialty. 

This year, I prefer those specialties to include rushing the passer or catching his passes. 

Later in the draft, absolutely, versatility is a much bigger factor. When you’re looking at guys potentially making the roster, it’s better to be able to see multiple ways. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

I’d like to think that versatility is pretty far down the list when you’re talking about top ten picks. 

Agreed. Certainly it can enhance the experience - but you're looking for high ceiling effectiveness, craft development,  tactician etc 

Not breaking news, but the most versatile player scheme/utilization wise on offense to me is TE Isaiah Likely. So many ways to scheme that guy.