Jets have gotten least value from NFL draft since 2012

Bronx

The question for me is are the choices fundamentally flawed or is the locker room culture killing these kids once they get here 
both ?
Both. Poor drafting and poor developing of the guys we draft.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Could the structure we had in place (HC-GM reporting to Owner) have contributed to this?  Seems we haven’t had a shared vision between the HC and GM for the time period between late Tammy-era and now.  Ridiculous coach-GM pairings with different philosophies, etc.   

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They were drafting where football isn’t going, 

So true and right on point. The jets continue to draft DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE thinking that the old meme "Defense wins Championships" still holds true. It doesn't all the rule changes have been to protect and enhance the offensive side of the game. WRs and QBs are the big winners and the Jets keep drafting stiffs at QB and haven't picked a 1st round WR since Santana Moss a generation ago.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

So true and right on point. The jets continue to draft DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE thinking that the old meme "Defense wins Championships" still holds true. It doesn't all the rule changes have been to protect and enhance the offensive side of the game. WRs and QBs are the big winners and the Jets keep drafting stiffs at QB and haven't picked a 1st round WR since Santana Moss a generation ago.

They also tend to send the rare  picks they do hit on to go play their best years for other teams. Riggins, Abraham, Vilma, Farrior, Moss and Demario Davis. I guess Darnold and Adams are signs we are getting better at dumping first round picks, so we got that going for us? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

Which is why I want to see them trade that #10 pick for a WR /RB who we already KNOW is worth the 10th pick in the draft. They like that WR sweep so much and it has been a big play in the arsenal and no one runs it more effectively in the HISTORY OF THE GAME than Deebo Samuel

• Upvote 1

Since 2016 the Jets are the worst team in the NFL. Their record is 27-70 with a Margin of Victory of -8.4.

6 seasons of complete dumpster fires. 

It's been so bad fans have been looking for backup teams. Even the Lions, Browns, and Jags look down on the Jets over this awful stretch of Jets football.

That all changes in 2022.

Thank you Joe Douglas. Thank you. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yet a rebuild in many fans eyes should have already been accomplished after two drafts, one in a first draft as a rookie GM during a global pandemic where no players were actually seen prior to.

Can't make this stuff up. 

I'm so tired of hearing the pandemic excuse for the 2020 Draft. They had the entire 2019 college football season and Bowls in 2020 uninterrupted. The NFL Combine was held in 2020 as well. The only thing that changed was the draft was virtual. If anything the 2021 draft was impacted more by the pandemic than the 2020 draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Could the structure we had in place (HC-GM reporting to Owner) have contributed to this?  Seems we haven’t had a shared vision between the HC and GM for the time period between late Tammy-era and now.  Ridiculous coach-GM pairings with different philosophies, etc.   

yes.

50 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Since 2016 the Jets are the worst team in the NFL. Their record is 27-70 with a Margin of Victory of -8.4.

6 seasons of complete dumpster fires. 

It's been so bad fans have been looking for backup teams. Even the Lions, Browns, and Jags look down on the Jets over this awful stretch of Jets football.

That all changes in 2022.

Thank you Joe Douglas. Thank you. 

Can we at least see them play a month's worth of football before we start sending thank you notes to Joe Douglas, because if we go winless in September AGAIN, we'll be screaming for the guys head by my October 4th birthday

5 hours ago, Larz said:

The question for me is are the choices fundamentally flawed or is the locker room culture killing these kids once they get here 

both ?

Feels like we’ve had at least 4 different locker room cultures in the past decade.  The one with Rex worked for about 2 years.  The one with Bowles worked for a year when the Jets had better players.  Personally, I like what Saleh is doing here culture-wise.

My opinion is that the Jets are too knee jerk at times and sometimes don’t let long term plans marinate before pulling the plug.  Pete Carroll?  Turned out to be a winner.  Todd Bowles?  Let’s see but other teams value him as a HC.  Saleh?  Some people around here wanted to pull the plug at the end of last year.  Complete lunacy.  We don’t know if he’ll be good or bad but the Jets are really, really good at giving first-time HCs a short term chance and then pulling the rip cord so that they can go to other teams.  Yet, they give a retread like Gase another chance.

Joe Douglas was smart to negotiate a 6 year deal.  The first reaction of Jets fans is that, “oh, he just wants job security and more money.”  What people don’t realize is that a 6 year deal actually protects the Jets from themselves.  It keeps them from doing what they do best, trying to rebuild an airplane and switch the pilot while at 30,000 feet.

One thing the Jets are good at?  Firing GMs and Coaches.

One thing they’re bad at?  Patience.

I think the Jets can learn a lot from the patience the Bengals have shown with Taylor.  This Jets team is being constructed in a way to align EVERYTHING.... Front office, coaching, culture, schemes, players.  It can take years to do that, especially for a Jets team that was devoid of talent the past few years.  If you want to pull the rip cord right now in the middle of the talent acquisition phase and heading into years 2 and 3 of the new schemes you just shouldn’t be a football fan.  There is no quick fix.  And, if you decide to make a complete change again then you restart the clock a bit, hopefully with some better players already here, but probably needing to keep the same schemes for which the roster has been built.

The Jets have had their new coaches for 14 months, they’ve had their new QB for 11 months, they started learning their new schemes 10 months ago.  We had a first-year HC, first-year OC, first-year QB, and had something like the second most rookie playing time in the NFL last year.

This ball is just starting to get rolling.  We need to watch it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

How many OL first rounders did we pick before Becton?

A lot of DTs and safeties contributed to that lack of value. One DT is fine, but once you get to three and four it starts getting ridiculous and you’re no longer getting ahead. Same with the OL. Most teams have late picks and/or UDFAs as part of the starting unit, ours is two first rounders and three free agents. That’s enough on the OL for this year, already. 

And while AVT is a good player, he does not represent good draft value. Trading two third rounders to move into the top half of the first round to grab a OG? Dude needs to get a gold jacket to be anywhere close to worth that. 

• Upvote 3

No it has nothing to do with it. It’s often talked about on this forum but many successful franchises have this reporting structure.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I'm so tired of hearing the pandemic excuse for the 2020 Draft. They had the entire 2019 college football season and Bowls in 2020 uninterrupted. The NFL Combine was held in 2020 as well. The only thing that changed was the draft was virtual. If anything the 2021 draft was impacted more by the pandemic than the 2020 draft. 
Pssssst ... the pandemic was limited to the tristate area. The

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Its not an excuse but a fact.  Worst possible situation for a GM.  Yet his first two picks were lauded by many actual experts.  They haven't worked out.  That happens in football.  He had another player retire because of a bad neck injury.  Got a starting CB and a starting P out of it, and a depth Safety.  Not the worst draft by the Jets this decade, but not the start we were hoping for. 

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

One thing the Jets are good at?  Firing GMs and Coaches.

One thing they’re bad at?  Patience

Are they really that bad with patience though?

At HC, Herm got 5 years.  Mangini got 3.  Rex got 6.  Bowles got 4.  Gase got 2.  Saleh is heading into year 2.

At GM, Bradway got 5 years, Tanny 7, Idzik 2, Mac 4, and Douglas is going into year 4.

Who should they have been more patient with?  I'd argue Mangini should've gotten a longer tenure but they did at least give him 3 years.  Possibly Idzik could've turned things around (I did love his approach) but that was an all-time bad draft.

HC of the NYJ:

image.png.8d7d820e9ee2860a9588cfb5df9b67ae.png

GM:

image.png.b673324ab75e8f71b416bd1720636637.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

And there are a lot of people hoping this continues with yet another first round OL. 

If the jets had actually drafted oline when they should have some of the previous big fails may have been avoided.

There are some people that want to draft a DT or safety in the 1st round

In the end it is about if you draft really good players and have a plan, regardless of position.

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yet a rebuild in many fans eyes should have already been accomplished after two drafts, one in a first draft as a rookie GM during a global pandemic where no players were actually seen prior to.

Can't make this stuff up. 

LAME excuses for a bad draft.  Hey Douglas does a lot of things right but his fist draft stunk, quit making lame excuses.  Every team in the league faced the excuses you just threw out.

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

The Jets can't develop players. Said this a few weeks ago and got told I'm a dumb meanie. 

How many Jets’ draftees can you name that went on to success elsewhere?

Now, compare that to the list of Jets’ draftees that were out of the league entirely in 3 years or less.

No doubt, the Jets have hired bad HCs over the years.  But the GMs have been the far bigger problem.  

• Upvote 1

no doubt the article has a lot of truth.  the jets draft is peppered with high round flops and busts.  when was the last time the jets hit big on second rounder?  maybe moore and maye, at least in the last 10 years.  but at the same time the article doesn't list the comparative scores of the other teams so 30th may be a lot closer to the mean than the outer edge of the bell curve.  and then there's the point about douglas' 2021 draft being average.  hard to say because there were too many factors that were in play.  but even average is a heck of a lot better than what they normally do.