Why do we play on turf?

ryu79

There has to be enough finances to play on grass if it is significant to injuries. And it sounds like it is absolutely significant in terms of players being more likely to be injured on turf as opposed to grass:

"The data supports the anecdotes you’ll hear from me and other players: artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass." (Source: Only Natural Grass Can Level The NFL’s Playing Field | NFLPA).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Money
Get away
You get a good job with more pay and you're okay
Money
It's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

New car, caviar, four star, daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Money
Get back
I'm alright, Jack, keep your hands off of my stack
Money
It's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullsh*t

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Money
Get away
Money
It's a gas
Money
Get back
Money
It's a hit
Surprised this didn't come from Munch.
  • Upvote 1

Anyone that followed the team for awhile saw what grass looks like when it's played on every week.  Remember the Giants play home games when we are on the road.

Google games from the early 2000's with the poor footing because the destroyed turf was recently replaced.  

It was endless complaining about how bad our field was. 

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:
4 hours ago, naturalscience said:
Money
Get away
Money
It's a gas
Money
Get back
Money
It's a hit

Surprised this didn't come from Munch.

Or @freestater

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Anyone that followed the team for awhile saw what grass looks like when it's played on every week.  Remember the Giants play home games when we are on the road.

Google games from the early 2000's with the poor footing because the destroyed turf was recently replaced.  

So, 2 multi Billion dollar Football franchises sharing 1 utilitarian Assembly Facility in the largest TV market in the country is fu*cking stupid? Understand!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Given our awful recent injury record, that weve already cycled our training staff a couple of times

This is a false misconception. 

We have not recycled our training staff for a long time. We simply promoted an inept guy after his inept boss left. 

We changed nothing. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Because when they turn these types of fields to grass they totally suck.  The grass looks like garbage after 2 weeks because it's on concrete and needs to be replaced or is just painted dirt halfway through the season and guys are falling and slipping more than they do on turf.  Then after they use it for 2 years and all the players get sick of it they switch it back to turf.

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

We have not recycled our training staff for a long time. We simply promoted an inept guy after his inept boss left. 

We changed nothing. 

Huh ?

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-hire-dr-brad-deweese-to-head-new-athletic-care-and-performance-department

The Jets on Thursday announced the creation of an Athletic Care and Performance Department with the goal of setting the standard in the NFL and do so in a hurry.

"After a thorough review of our sports performance areas, it became clear that in order to maximize our player's health, safety and effectiveness on the field, we needed to establish a centralized group that would better position our team for success," said Jets GM Joe Douglas. "During our search for the right person to lead this group Dr. Brad DeWeese impressed us, not only with his proven track-record, but also with his vision, insight and strategic approach to maximize athletic care and performance."

"The vision is pretty succinct: I want the New York Jets Athletic Care and Performance to be the leading player development department in the NFL," said DeWeese, who will lead the charge as the team's director of high performance. "I want us to be the model for other NFL teams to develop their system by."

Dr. DeWeese will oversee the department that will include the team's athletic trainers, strength & conditioning, and nutrition staffs in addition to a rehab department. Most recently the assistant athletic director for sports performance at East Tennessee State, Dr. DeWeese helped athletes to seven world championship titles in three different sports and 21 Olympic and world championship medals while he was the head of sports physiology at the United States Olympic Committee's Winter Division.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, JTJet said:

We changed nothing. 

WTF are you talking about?  Last year they did an entire re-vamp of the Medical staff and totally set up an entire new process for the trainers and doctors with a new Head and all new employees.  Just last year.  It was a big deal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Because of all the events? Wait - do the Giants play on grass when we are away NOW?

2 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Because of all the events? Wait - do the Giants play on grass when we are away NOW?

No, there used to be grass at the Meadowlands in the early 2000’s.

The turf was destroyed because a football game was played on it every week between us and the Giants.

It would be replaced once or twice in the middle of the year because it would get so bad.  

They switched to field turf and brought that to the new stadium.  

The grass really was a mess and an embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Huh ?

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-hire-dr-brad-deweese-to-head-new-athletic-care-and-performance-department

The Jets on Thursday announced the creation of an Athletic Care and Performance Department with the goal of setting the standard in the NFL and do so in a hurry.

"After a thorough review of our sports performance areas, it became clear that in order to maximize our player's health, safety and effectiveness on the field, we needed to establish a centralized group that would better position our team for success," said Jets GM Joe Douglas. "During our search for the right person to lead this group Dr. Brad DeWeese impressed us, not only with his proven track-record, but also with his vision, insight and strategic approach to maximize athletic care and performance."

"The vision is pretty succinct: I want the New York Jets Athletic Care and Performance to be the leading player development department in the NFL," said DeWeese, who will lead the charge as the team's director of high performance. "I want us to be the model for other NFL teams to develop their system by."

Dr. DeWeese will oversee the department that will include the team's athletic trainers, strength & conditioning, and nutrition staffs in addition to a rehab department. Most recently the assistant athletic director for sports performance at East Tennessee State, Dr. DeWeese helped athletes to seven world championship titles in three different sports and 21 Olympic and world championship medals while he was the head of sports physiology at the United States Olympic Committee's Winter Division.

10 minutes ago, Origen said:

WTF are you talking about?  Last year they did an entire re-vamp of the Medical staff and totally set up an entire new process for the trainers and doctors with a new Head and all new employees.  Just last year.  It was a big deal.

I'm talking about this. The stuff you're talking about is supposedly above Dave Zuffelato, but he has been a part of our injury history for a long time and he has still been in his same head position with the team for the last 2 seasons. 

1120404740_Screenshot_20220424-181702_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.aa6fd399d37ed25140bd12b499648374.jpg

1745995613_Screenshot_20220424-181147_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.51ba7e72e60a4c411600489142e2c367.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No, there used to be grass at the Meadowlands in the early 2000’s.

The turf was destroyed because a football game was played on it every week between us and the Giants.

It would be replaced once or twice in the middle of the year because it would get so bad.  

They switched to field turf and brought that to the new stadium.  

The grass really was a mess and an embarrassment.

So you (or it's generally) attribute(d) that the grass was bad because of the frequency of games vs. teams with worse weather that play on grass but don't have a shared stadium?

I didn't know that we had promoted people in the widely publicized training staff 'changeover' a few years back. That at least explains why we keep doing the same thing despite our injury history. 

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

Do they practice on turf? I feel most of our players' injuries have happened at practice rather than games. 

I just think back to that game (ironically against the 49ers a few years ago) where so many people got injured at once and there was a ton of chatter about our turf. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, ryu79 said:

I just think back to that game (ironically against the 49ers a few years ago) where so many people got injured at once and there was a ton of chatter about our turf. 

Yeah, that was crazy--and we still lost. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Sorry if this has already been asked a while ago. 

While following the Deebo story, I noticed a detail get mentioned a few times that given his weariness on the miles he's picked up playing as a hybrid rb/wr in SF that he would likely also be concerned about playing on turf at home (8xs a year). 

Given our awful recent injury record, that weve already cycled our training staff a couple of times since the dark times began with no noticable difference, has anyone seen any compelling data either way on injury rates between teams that play home games on grass vs. turf?

Also - why do we play on turf to begin with? I can think of a few teams with even worse climates than ours that play on grass? I could have imagined turf being necessary if we'd invested in a dome or a retractable one but we skimped on that too?

Thanks!

At a stadium like Met-Life where a team plays on it every week, the field would be a pile of mud by November if it wasn't  turf. Also the kind of turf they use has give. It shoots up those rubber pellets when it is stressed. Probably not as safe as grasss but most likely better than mud. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Sorry if this has already been asked a while ago. 

While following the Deebo story, I noticed a detail get mentioned a few times that given his weariness on the miles he's picked up playing as a hybrid rb/wr in SF that he would likely also be concerned about playing on turf at home (8xs a year). 

Given our awful recent injury record, that weve already cycled our training staff a couple of times since the dark times began with no noticable difference, has anyone seen any compelling data either way on injury rates between teams that play home games on grass vs. turf?

Also - why do we play on turf to begin with? I can think of a few teams with even worse climates than ours that play on grass? I could have imagined turf being necessary if we'd invested in a dome or a retractable one but we skimped on that too?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

At a stadium like Met-Life where a team plays on it every week, the field would be a pile of mud by November if it wasn't  turf. Also the kind of turf they use has give. It shoots up those rubber pellets when it is stressed. Probably not as safe as grasss but most likely better than mud. 

image.png.3f580f1dc1e5f168acbac1da8692fe4b.pngimage.png.3f580f1dc1e5f168acbac1da8692fe4b.png

Searching around, I found this article, which I think clarifies a few things:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/which-nfl-stadiums-have-artificial-turf-vs-real-grass?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

- Only seven open air stadiums in league are on turf (half the turf stadiums are domes)

- Some of the natural surfaces are apparently fresh sod getting dropped for each game (the article mentions Tampa)

- There is a range of field turf alts in use - if we are having disproportionate injuries, shouldn't we be experimenting to reduce that? (Maybe we are?)

Half of the teams play on natural grass, half on turf.  

The Jets use the same turf as the Bengals, which is not a good sign, because they are also notoriously cheap (although they just went to the Super Bowl).

It appears that the Packers and Eagles, two cold weather teams, get credit for playing on "grass," but they play on Desso Grassmaster, which is actually a blend of real grass and artificial turf.  Looks like the best turf to play on.  

But SoFi Field is also artificial, as they also have weekly games.