Jets mad at Mekhi? Douglas Brooding over Becton? We’re not buying it

Mekhi Becton

If you’ve been staying up to date on the daily happenings of the New York Jets, you’ve heard that Jets left tackle Mekhi Becton hasn’t shown up for the team’s voluntary workouts.  While some would have you believe the Jets are upset about the situation despite Joe Douglas saying the exact opposite.

Becton is in Texas where he continues to work with personal trainers.  The big left tackle is getting ready for the upcoming season while his wife is expecting their first child.

For more on Becton, a full Jets 7-round mock, some thoughts on the Jets and Deebo Samuel along with a note on the CBA, click to watch.

The post Jets mad at Mekhi? Douglas Brooding over Becton? We’re not buying it appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If Jet Nation really wants to fall on their sword defending Becton have at it….

Egg on the face is coming 

That's where the smart money is... we hope he becomes at least serviceable.  For now, he is another 1st rounder with 6th round talent. I'd almosyt argue Vlad Ducasse had as much potential. Speaking of reaching.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

55 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There is something seriously wrong with all of you. This team needs Becton to be successful  at LT or RT or wherever  he plays. If he washes out, it sets the OL backwards 

No doubt it sets the line back. The issue is whether it is likely that Becton will be a successful LT/RT. Hope it happens. But take out the fact that he didn't show up to voluntary workouts, there are all kinds of questions and confusion about him. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Maybe you should tell the people in this thread that are counting on him to fail 

JD and Saleh would be totally incompetent as managers/leaders if they assume he's going to succeed no matter what. We want him to shine, but hopefully the guys running this organization consider reasonable contingencies based on what has transpired.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me ask you. If your wife was giving birth in a month or less, would you fly across the country and stay for about a week to do something that isn't  mandated by the team? I know what would happen to me if I did that when my wife was pregnant. This is totally excusable. Yeah, if he was just chilling in Texas, you would have a point. 

Please re-read where I wrote, "But take out the fact that he didn't show up to voluntary workouts,"

You and I are saying the same thing. I agree that he didn't need to show up because his wife was ready to give birth. You and I feel the same way. There are concerns with MB regardless of the wife/baby/OTA situation.

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Maybe you should tell the people in this thread that are counting on him to fail like yourself.  Seriously, you hope we can get a 6th for him? That is retarded.  

We ALL want him to succeed.    What we have seen is not full of promise but there is a chance.   A 6th??? Who said get a 6th???  I said he has that level of talent.  Play on words.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What has transpired?

I expect him to be healthy and dominate in 2022.

Other people here are just waiting for him to fail. 

1. I want his to succeed. My goodness I hope he is health and dominate in 2022.

2. What has transpired:

- He might be injury prone. Each time he recovers it seems another is waiting in the wings.

- It did not appear that he came into camp last year in shape 

- He's a very large man with a knee injury that his trainer said is going to take him a lot longer to recover from than other players. That is is          what it is, but we better recognize what we're dealing with.

- Long term starters at tackle average over 30 lbs less than Mekhi does.

- He might have issues with his weight maintenance, which could affect his play, and could affect his proneness to injury

- Coach LaFleur said last summer that Mekhi was going through some things, then Mekhi acted like there was nothing to that. Meaning,              coaches recognize issues, but he shrugs it off.

- Him changing his status to "bigbust" was just silly. Why doesn't he just put his head down and go to work? 

- He misses OTAs, while the rest of the guys show up. 

It's not just one thing. Any one thing can be deemed "small" or excused away. It is that there are multiple things, strung together, that would cause the reasonable coach or manager to make some contingency plans.

BUT BUT BUT, I hope he comes back and freaking dominates. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

1. I want his to succeed. My goodness I hope he is health and dominate in 2022.

2. What has transpired:

- He might be injury prone. Each time he recovers it seems another is waiting in the wings.

- It did not appear that he came into camp last year in shape 

- He's a very large man with a knee injury that his trainer said is going to take him a lot longer to recover from than other players. That is is          what it is, but we better recognize what we're dealing with.

- Long term starters at tackle average over 30 lbs less than Mekhi does.

- He might have issues with his weight maintenance, which could affect his play, and could affect his proneness to injury

- Coach LaFleur said last summer that Mekhi was going through some things, then Mekhi acted like there was nothing to that. Meaning,              coaches recognize issues, but he shrugs it off.

- Him changing his status to "bigbust" was just silly. Why doesn't he just put his head down and go to work? 

- He misses OTAs, while the rest of the guys show up. 

It's not just one thing. Any one thing can be deemed "small" or excused away. It is that there are multiple things, strung together, that would cause the reasonable coach or manager to make some contingency plans.

BUT BUT BUT, I hope he comes back and freaking dominates. 

The injury prone tag doesn't  make sense nore does the notion he came to camp out of shape. Another Jets OL rolled up on him. Saying that was attributed  to him being injury prone is like blaming a pedestrian  crossing a street for getting hit by the car that ran a red light. And I have seen enough pictures of him at camp last season to know he was in good enough shape to play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The injury prone tag doesn't  make sense nore does the notion he came to camp out of shape. Another Jets OL rolled up on him. Saying that was attributed  to him being injury prone is like blaming a pedestrian  crossing a street for getting hit by the car that ran a red light. And I have seen enough pictures of him at camp last season to know he was in good enough shape to play. 

I sure hope you're right. 

There is no need to debate. If you remove the name , and look at this situation:

One of your starting tackles missed all but one game last season, per the coach "maybe" will be there for training camp. 

Would you draft an OT as a safety net to keep the best interests of the team? When would you draft him? 2nd round? Third round?

5 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

There is no need to debate. If you remove the name , and look at this situation:

One of your starting tackles missed all but one game last season, per the coach "maybe" will be there for training camp. 

Would you draft an OT as a safety net to keep the best interests of the team? When would you draft him? 2nd round? Third round?

Maybe 2nd round, or 3rd ... if Becton is unavailable for any reason we still have Fant who played most of the year at LT, so we'd only really be looking at a RT. These are guys you draft later, not Day 1.

Plus maybe a late flyer as a development guy / challenge McDermott & Edoga as backups.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This team also needs insurance at OT. Big time.

But do you buy such insurance in round 1, in the top half of the draft?  Then there's Fant who is only signed for one year.  So yeah....  not a bad idea.  I like KT at 4 and Cross at 10  and address WR and the rest later  or Ickey at 4 and JJ at 10.  One or the other.  I'd be good with it

• Upvote 1

Seems like most of the hate surrounding Becton has to do with the camp reports that he was “getting beaten like a drum,” by Lawson last year. Something none of us ever saw, and was, IMHO, way overblown. We all learned about it here reading tweets in a camp thread. So one bad play would be reported by three or four different reporters and then two or three guys would put the tweets up here so they’d appear multiple times and all of a sudden there’s twenty negative tweets about a couple plays and everyone is up in arms that he’s playing poorly. Again, none of us saw it, and when he played in the preseason, he played well. After having a nice rookie season. I don’t recall any of this stuff this time last year. 

• Post of the Week 4

There were some with questions, but for the most part the entire fan base was on board when we drafted this kid. He's still a kid, so as far as this coaching staff might be concerned this is what I would do. Sit the kid down for one heart to heart. Impress upon him that this is what you are looking for. End of conversation.

Now onto JD. He needs to do what is necessary to protect his 2nd pick in last years draft at all costs. If he identifies a player he wants to do that, then you get him at all costs, whether Becton turns out to be what we all hoped or a bust. There is no more important player on this team to make sure does well, than the QB. So whatever that needs to be, so be it.

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Seems like most of the hate surrounding Becton has to do with the camp reports that he was “getting beaten like a drum,” by Lawson last year. Something none of us ever saw, and was, IMHO, way overblown. We all learned about it here reading tweets in a camp thread. So one bad play would be reported by three or four different reporters and then two or three guys would put the tweets up here so they’d appear multiple times and all of a sudden there’s twenty negative tweets about a couple plays and everyone is up in arms that he’s playing poorly. Again, none of us saw it, and when he played in the preseason, he played well. After having a nice rookie season. I don’t recall any of this stuff this time last year. 

Plus the whole OL was learning a new system that took everyone till about mid season to "get" ... so yes, early camp reports don't hold much sway with me on this one.

• Upvote 2