Peter King mocks Sauce and J Williams to Jets

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is not really cbs and jets fans, it is the players in this draft and the jets.  This draft stinks at the top end unfortunately for the jets.  Almost all gys at the top have question marks or are projections, except Gardner.  I'm not saying he is sure fire awesome material but he is about the cleanest player at he top end.

I would add Cross to that list also. Can see him going #1.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is not really cbs and jets fans, it is the players in this draft and the jets.  This draft stinks at the top end unfortunately for the jets.  Almost all gys at the top have question marks or are projections, except Gardner.  I'm not saying he is sure fire awesome material but he is about the cleanest player at he top end.

Then take Hamilton - who at least plays a position this defense values.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

The quickest way a GM gets fired is bad first round picks.  The second way a GM gets fired is having a bad record.    Remember that Maccagnan was EXTENDED the year before he was fired, and all the grief that JD gets over Becton and Mims.  People complain more about that than the record.  If the new players are good, that gives the fans hope, and they can blame the players JD inherited (becoming fewer and fewer).  

Gardner is the cleanest pick-even Ikey has flaws to his game.  KT is stiff and has attitude issues.  The Jets could use a CB1.  Maybe they draft Sauce and trade Hall.  There will be a decent EDGE with no drama, like JJ or Karlaftis, at 4, or others at 35.  

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it, but there are no more lockdown corners.  They're just not allowed to play their position anymore.

Hyperbole IMO.  Yes, it's harder, no it's not impossible.

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just think a guy like Gardner moves the needle far less than any one of the edges that will be there.

Pass Rushers are still allowed to do their job.

You could be correct that one of the edges could have more impact.

The question may revolve what edges remain available when we pick.  

If the top edges are all gone, that question of "most impact" becomes less clear.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't understand the fascination with CB's and Jet fans.

Its not 'CB's', its THIS CB. Gardner is a fantastic prospect. I don't know how ANYONE can't be happy with him in the first round. I mean, even if Jax. took him, assuming they had a need, if I was a Jax fan, I'd be like, OK, you passed on Ekwonu and Neal and Hutch and Thib but man, Sauce is such a sure thing, versatile, elite prospect, I'm ok with it. 

Stingley for example- the next best CB by most accounts, I want to avoid like the plague with our 1st round picks. So, yeah, I don't think its an obsession with CB. Its just Sauce is a great prospect.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Hyperbole IMO.  Yes, it's harder, no it's not impossible.

You could be correct that one of the edges could have more impact.

The question may revolve what edges remain available when we pick.  

If the top edges are all gone, that question of "most impact" becomes less clear.

I would look to trade 4 for 16 and 19 if there isn't value there at edge.  If your edge is at 4 you take him, if he's not take 16 and 19 (especially if you've already give up 10 for Deebo)

Now, I don't know if NO is willing to do that - but I get the sense they would be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Its not 'CB's', its THIS CB. Gardner is a fantastic prospect. I don't know how ANYONE can't be happy with him in the first round. I mean, even if Jax. took him, assuming they had a need, if I was a Jax fan, I'd be like, OK, you passed on Ekwonu and Neal and Hutch and Thib but man, Sauce is such a sure thing, versatile, elite prospect, I'm ok with it. 

Stingley for example- the next best CB by most accounts, I want to avoid like the plague with our 1st round picks. So, yeah, I don't think its an obsession with CB. Its just Sauce is a great prospect.  

I am sorry but no one is going to convince me that taking a CB at #4 overall makes any sense for this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/25/nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king-2022/

His mock seems a little whacky (Thibs not getting picked until 13?), but I would be happy with these picks.

I don't love it.

Don't mind the Gardner pick, seems like once Ekwonu is gone, the Jets are just going BAP and Sauce is a great prospect who they LOVE. 

But then at 10 you pass on Thib, JJ, Lloyd and you go for a WR coming off injury. I know he is considered the top WR by some. Not me. But in this mock, he is the 3rd WR off the board. I also personally love Olave as a prospect- I think he is underrated and will come in and straight up produce right away, even if you don't see a ton of big flashy plays from him. And he is still on the board at this point.   

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, jbt said:

we can't take a WR who wont play until later in the year.  this team needs to show something early on or Joe D is gone

and I love Sauce but we need an edge, that will help the defense more

I was making the same point to a friend of mine last night. Unless he was a Jamar Chase level talent, there is no reason to take him that early. IF he was a Jamar Chase, he wouldn't have felt the need to leave OSU because guys like Olave and Wilson (and Njigba) were in his way. Sure, he COULD be the best WR in this class, but there are many who think Wilson or London or Olave are better so why take him at 10?  

Especially given that we have a young QB on a bad team. We really don't need to start the year off down a weapon. Not to mention, WRs need time with the offense to develop chemistry so who knows how long it takes for Williams to be a big time player for this team in year 1. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is not really cbs and jets fans, it is the players in this draft and the jets.  This draft stinks at the top end unfortunately for the jets.  Almost all guys at the top have question marks or are projections, except Gardner.  I'm not saying he is sure fire awesome material but he is about the cleanest player at he top end.

I agree 100%. I would put Neal a close 2nd (to Sauce) as far as "cleanest" players.

jets need playmakers on both sides of the ball-edge rusher and wr should be the picks 

drafting a defensive back round one is criminal for a team with the glaring needs the jets have. Edge rusher > DB-better to stop the qb before the throws it than after he throws it

52 minutes ago, jbt said:

we can't take a WR who wont play until later in the year.  this team needs to show something early on or Joe D is gone

I agree with your first point.  I really cant see the Jets taking Williams at all.

And while I agree w/ your second point as well, I dont think taking Sauce at 4 means they wont address edge.  Edge is pretty deep, they might be able to address at 10 and/or 35/38 and I think Sauce is the best player in the draft.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, jbt said:

Agree. Only if the plan is to double dip at WR (ex. round 2), would I be ok with this.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am sorry but no one is going to convince me that taking a CB at #4 overall makes any sense for this team.

Not my ideal selection, but this team's secondary was horrible last year. Pairing him with Hall could make an immediate impact for this team. Again, I don't love it, but he would be arguably the BPA, a player at a position of need and a player at a premium position. That hit's just about every check box for a GM. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not my ideal selection, but this team's secondary was horrible last year. Pairing him with Hall could make an immediate impact for this team. Again, I don't love it, but he would be arguably the BPA, a player at a position of need and a player at a premium position. That hit's just about every check box for a GM. 

You have a legit #1 CB in Reed, quality #2 in Hall...MC2 in the slot..

Not saying you can't always use more good players and injuries happen - but that's a big pick which will move Hall to a nickel corner.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

You have a legit #1 CB in Reed, quality #2 in Hall...MC2 in the slot..

Not saying you can't always use more good players and injuries happen - but that's a big pick which will move Hall to a nickel corner.

That is a bottom quarter of the league quality group as of right now.

I think you very much overestimate how good these guys are today.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I would look to trade 4 for 16 and 19 if there isn't value there at edge.  If your edge is at 4 you take him, if he's not take 16 and 19 (especially if you've already give up 10 for Deebo)

Now, I don't know if NO is willing to do that - but I get the sense they would be.

The ONLY way NO would be willing to do that is if the ABSOLUTELY FELL IN LOVE WITH A QB. I just don't see that happening in THIS QB draft class. Who? Pickett? Corral? Ridder? Malik Willis maybe? I don't see it. NO does not have particularly great draft capital (apart from those 2 first rounders) to be moving up into the top 5 for a QB they don't think will be an absolute stud. 

Now, IF THEY DID. And the Jets ended up trading for Deebo using pick 10, that would be really interesting. JD would have to look at the board and figure out what positions OTHER than WR make the most sense to address based on the quality of player still available. I think a lot of top Edge players will be gone, he may end up taking one or more of Penning or Lloyd or Stingley or maybe even Jordan Davis.   

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't understand the fascination with CB's and Jet fans.

What I don't understand is the compulsion for taking an edge guy when there are no good edge guys for the taking.  Thibs is a potential bust, or third down player if anything.   If the other GM's see what I see, Thibs may fall out of the top ten.  And T. Walker is a five technique (end for a 34 defense)

The fans that love Sauce like him because he is a total football player and a high character core leader.  He is a complete pick in every respect.  

• Upvote 4