Next CBA negotiations

AFJF

Mentioned this at the back end of the pod yesterday so wanted to get some thoughts on here.

Obviously the CBA process is a "give and take" between two sides.  One of the things the owners "won" in previous negotiations was 5 yrs (and up to 7 with franchise tags) on first round picks and cheap deals for guys taken outside of round 1 (again with franchise tag opportunity).

Now, as we see more and more star players shooting their way out of town with years left on their rookie deals, will we see something put in place by owners to prevent it?

Imagine drafting a guy who turns out to be a stud, thinking you've got him for at least 2 more years and up to 4 but his agent demands a trade.  Kind of takes away the thing you thought you "won" in previous negotiations.

Will there be something put in place that discourages players from demanding a deal when they've only been in the league for a few years?

I'm not saying I blame the players for trying to take advantage of the system, but asking will owners try to change the system since agents/players have found a way to circumvent what was agreed upon in the CBA?

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The league is on its way to an 18 game season, with the Super Bowl on MLK weekend. They’ll have to give something up for that. They’re not going to be in a position to demand much. 

The players association is a weak sister.  The owners will get whatever they want.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, slats said:

The league is on its way to an 18 game season, with the Super Bowl on MLK weekend. They’ll have to give something up for that. They’re not going to be in a position to demand much. 

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

The players association is a weak sister.  The owners will get whatever they want.

yea, I'm not sure how anyone can look at the previous CBA and think the next one is going to be different. The players have poor leadership in place and the NFL's team leads them around by the nose. 

On the topic, I'm not sure the owners care as much as fans do about this. Both sides will happily sell out guys on rookie deals though as those players aren't in the league yet. The NFLPA barely put up a fight against the rookie deals as it meant more money going to players already in the league. 

Of course, that's probably short sighted as the NFL gets better deal for rookies they become more valuable replacements for veterans on bigger, less efficient contracts. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Mentioned this at the back end of the pod yesterday so wanted to get some thoughts on here.

Obviously the CBA process is a "give and take" between two sides.  One of the things the owners "won" in previous negotiations was 5 yrs (and up to 7 with franchise tags) on first round picks and cheap deals for guys taken outside of round 1 (again with franchise tag opportunity).

Now, as we see more and more star players shooting their way out of town with years left on their rookie deals, will we see something put in place by owners to prevent it?

Imagine drafting a guy who turns out to be a stud, thinking you've got him for at least 2 more years and up to 4 but his agent demands a trade.  Kind of takes away the thing you thought you "won" in previous negotiations.

Will there be something put in place that discourages players from demanding a deal when they've only been in the league for a few years?

I'm not saying I blame the players for trying to take advantage of the system, but asking will owners try to change the system since agents/players have found a way to circumvent what was agreed upon in the CBA?

Discourage?

Nothing.  Most of things that you can think of like the NBA's drafting team can pay more to resign/extend is not really applicable on any level in the NFL unless there is a radical change to the CBA.