Jermaine Johnson to the Jets at 4 buzz

Matt39

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I felt last year we gave up too much for a relatively safe pick when we traded up for AVT. He was a good guard prospect but he was a guard. I still didn’t hate it too much because protecting Wilson trumped everything.

This just feels asinine though. There are just so many more talented players than Johnson on the board and while I’m not a BAP guy locking in on an edge for the sake of it just seems irresponsible. Honestly I might hate this pick more than Hamilton if this is how we go, he wasn’t even on my radar. I had concerns with Walker but f*ck I’d have him miles ahead of JJ.

God damn the one day of the year where I get to be optimistic as a Jets fan and they’re gonna make it as hard as possible. 

Walker and Hutchinson are gone. Assuming Gardner goes 3 and the Jets have Thibadeux as persona non grata...who you taking?

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you think walker is going to Detroit, after hutch goes to jax, then the jets are taking either gardener or ekongwu.  

I think Walker and Hutchinson are going 1-2 in either order and then Gardner goes 3. Seems like those are the consensus (not convincingly) top 3 guys in the draft

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Has to be Cross or Ekwonu. Although, starting to get some weird Stingley vibes.

I think they would go OL at 4, b/c the edge you can get late round 1 early round 2 is much closer to the edges at the top of the draft compared to the OL you can get in early round 2.  The key thing is to make sure you don’t pick a dog at 4 or 10.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I think Walker and Hutchinson are going 1-2 in either order.

I can see jax pushing for ekongwu, but if they take hutch, then i think Detroit takes walker.  Then the jets’ decision is probably much easier as they will take whomever Texas doesn’t, Gardner or eknogwu.  

What i wonder is, what if the first 3 are eknogwu/hutch/gardener.  Who are the jets taking - JJ or thibs?  Or would they then take a wr if they don’t love the other OTs?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The skinny:

4. JERMAINE JOHNSON, Florida State (6-4 ½, 260, 4.62, 1): Subpar academics sent him to a junior college for two years. Started four of 24 games at Georgia in 2019-’20 before transferring for a final season in Tallahassee. “Started the year playing his way into third-round conversation and at the end played his way possibly into the first,” one scout said. “Not as explosive or as athletic as (Joe) Tryon or (Azeez) Ojulari, who played over him at Georgia. He can power off the edge. He’s got get-off and flattens down on the quarterback. He can create pressure looping outside when aligned as a 3-technique in sub packages. He can improve his edge rush by developing a counter move once engaged and using his hands better. Best as a 3-4 outside backer.” Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.” Finished with 106 tackles (26 for loss), 18 ½ sacks (12 at FSU), three forced fumbles and four passes defensed. Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 34. “The surprising thing was he was very good against the run,” a third scout said. “I almost thought he played the run better than he rushed the passer. He’s got exceptional hands and hand usage at the point of attack. That’s what grabbed me the most about him. The sacks came off hustle. He had some where he earned them going around the guy. He’s not a natural bend-the-corner right end but he’s good enough to do it … they called him ‘Hollywood.’ He’s a little arrogant. He’s probably hard to like at times. But he backed up everything he said he wanted to do, which is rare in this era.” From Eden Prairie, Minn.

None of this, even if partially true, is compatible with what we've been told about Douglas' philosophy. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Seems like were in sh*tville!

It’s the nightmare scenario but I do think injuries aside Stingley is the best prospect in the draft. But injuries and Jets have predictable results.

But still this is the fourth pick. You can’t in good conscience go for the grinder who’s just shown nothing to merit that spot.

The reason I’m getting so pissed about this now is because I’m fully realising this has been the obvious pick the whole time for Saleh/Douglas.

Of course they want the safe guy who can set the edge and play the run after Saleh’s utter humiliation midway through last season. Who needs potentially great pass rushers when you can hold Jonathan Taylor to 120 yards instead of 220?

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

He's a mid first rounder for me at best. High floor/low ceiling type.  

Mediocre win rate, mediocre athleticism. I don't even see what people see in him. Are we just judging by college sacks? He's also a year older than Thibs!

There is just way to reconcile this if it happens. I'll be so high on the Douglas hate that I'm definitely getting banned by May. 

We all need goals in life.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think the Sauce stuff is misdirection.

I think picks 4 & 10 will be OT & DE one whichever order...

...with a trade up back into the first for a WR.

Everyone knew the Jets wanted Becton, Wilson, AVT, Moore. Under JD the team’s infatuation with certain players has been obvious. This year the players are Sauce and Icky and Bo Melton (in later rounds). 

• Upvote 2

Just now, kdels62 said:

Everyone knew the Jets wanted Becton, Wilson, AVT, Moore. Under JD the team’s infatuation with certain players has been obvious. This year the players are Sauce and Icky and Bo Melton (in later rounds). 

I really like Sauce, Icky, JJII, Thibs, and would be happy with any combo.

As long as we are using top picks on premium positions QB, OT, EDGE, CB, WR then I'm happy.

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Jets are definitely taking Sauce at 4 if he’s there. 

Remember last year there was one guy that had the Jets using their assets to jump for an OL. It was me. I’m also Joe Douglas.

If its Jermaine Johnson, its a prospect neither of us likes. Welcome to the dark side friend :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Jets are definitely taking Sauce at 4 if he’s there. 

Remember last year there was one guy that had the Jets using their assets to jump for an OL. It was me. I’m also Joe Douglas.

At this point, I'd be fine with that. We need an edge, but it sounds like a possible crap shoot. Sauce will be a great player.

These were the 2 games I watched for Johnson and here was my review on April 15 (if you are interested):

"I'm not looking to argue with anyone if they like Johnson, but after watching the Notre Dame game and the UNC game, I don't understand the appeal. Not particularly fast out of his stance, uses a 2 handed swipe too often that leaves him too far away from the QB, uses the spin at akward times, don't see him convert speed to power as often as I would like. He has some nice run defense reps where he stays low, explodes into the blocker and disengages, but aside from that? Meh. I wouldn't take him in the first."

On top of that, he is already 23 years old.

I understand the argument that "Saleh doesn't value cornerbacks in his system" ...., well, I value players over system. Modify your system to the players you have. Unless Hutchinson drops, the pick should be Gardner based upon talent and need.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, KRL said:

Also remember Johnson was down at the Senior Bowl with the Jet staff.  So they had a whole

week to view his practice/study habits and interaction with the staff and other players

He was on the other team tho. FWIW Perrion Winfrey, Jesse Luketa, Myjai Sanders, Boye Mafe spend 60 minutes destroying the same OL that made JJ look good. Even more concerning the best OL on the Lions team might’ve been 3rd rounders Daniel Faalele and Darrian Kinnard while the Jets team had a potential first rounders in Zion Johnson and Trevor Penning, potential second rounders in Abraham Lucas and Bernhard Raimann.

The Jets team was stacked.

• Upvote 2