Woody to be “very involved” in this years draft

Andddd this is how mainstream media isn’t completely dead yet because 7/10 will still react to ANYTHING posted by anyone . I heard Pauline on a podcast yesterday talking jets , the guy knows nothing , has no inside sources , and fills his glaring weakness for understanding the game with the consensus opinion of the jets from the rest of the media .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You all are so easy to troll. Bait tweet is bait.

pauline has been throwing crap at the wall non stop the last few years with very very little validity.  Yea he'll be involved, aka he'll be in the room.  He's not going to have the say on personnel, its well established JD has final say on all player moves, heavy input from scouts and coaches. 

His last report that JD ignores scouts was also a lie.  JD was a scout, preaches a collaborative process, why go through all of that and have all these meetings to just disregard everyone input?  Especially when anyone you talk to with knowledge of the organization knows thats not the case lol 

pauline pulling a Manish if you ask me. 

• Upvote 2

I completely agree with all of the negative reactions above, but let me provide another way to look at this.

• When Woody pushed Tannenbaum to create a winner, it worked.  For his first 10 years the Jets were one of the AFC's top franchises, making 2 AFCCGs and the playoffs half the time.  
  • Pauline said that the Coaches were pushing for players without reading the scouting reports.  Maybe Woody reads the reports and asks some good questions.
  • If I am JD, I want the owner to be onboard with the decisions made here.  The Jets could theoretically pick the two best players who set them up nicely for 2023 (CB and OT, for example), or reach for players that make a bigger impact this year, with some risk.  JD and the Coaches should make those recommendations, but the call is ultimately Woody's.  

JD is not perfect.   His 2020 draft was not good at all, and we used three premium draft picks on a G who was basically replaced this year.   If JD picks the top players on his board in round 1, the Jets will go from a 4 win team to a 6 win team in the AFC East.   This is the year where the Dolphins and Patriots could potentially underachieve.  Do the Jets keep reloading, or try to use the draft to make more of a jump, at least to 7-9 wins?  I think that involves taking chances at both EDGE and WR in Round 1.

So let Woody say whether he wants results in 2022 (potentially backfiring later) or wants to continue the slow and steady build.  I never believed Woody was buying into the slow and steady build.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I completely agree with all of the negative reactions above, but let me provide another way to look at this.

• When Woody pushed Tannenbaum to create a winner, it worked.  For his first 10 years the Jets were one of the AFC's top franchises, making 2 AFCCGs and the playoffs half the time.  
  • Pauline said that the Coaches were pushing for players without reading the scouting reports.  Maybe Woody reads the reports and asks some good questions.
  • If I am JD, I want the owner to be onboard with the decisions made here.  The Jets could theoretically pick the two best players who set them up nicely for 2023 (CB and OT, for example), or reach for players that make a bigger impact this year, with some risk.  JD and the Coaches should make those recommendations, but the call is ultimately Woody's.  

JD is not perfect.   His 2020 draft was not good at all, and we used three premium draft picks on a G who was basically replaced this year.   If JD picks the top players on his board in round 1, the Jets will go from a 4 win team to a 6 win team in the AFC East.   This is the year where the Dolphins and Patriots could potentially underachieve.  Do the Jets keep reloading, or try to use the draft to make more of a jump, at least to 7-9 wins?  I think that involves taking chances at both EDGE and WR in Round 1.

So let Woody say whether he wants results in 2022 (potentially backfiring later) or wants to continue the slow and steady build.  I never believed Woody was buying into the slow and steady build.  

There is no slow rebuilds in the NY market 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I would add, when Widdy took a step back during Rex and Idzik - Rex took full advantage of it and created a cultural mess here, scapegoating everyone and blame-shifting constantly. 

Woody has flaws, but there’s a lot to be said for a boss staying dialed into what’s going on. Especially after having employed a person like Rex that manipulated and gaslighted him constantly. 

34 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Does anyone really think it was a coincidence that once Woody returns, Douglas forsakes his plan to build through the draft and is willing to trade extremely valuable draft picks for a WR?  It's not.  This has Woody's fingerprints all over it. 

"And with the fourth pick in the 2022 NFL draft, Woody Johnson selects Kayvon Ekwonu". 

I hadn't considered that at all. Excellent point!

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

There's no way lol

27 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

pauline has been throwing crap at the wall non stop the last few years with very very little validity.  Yea he'll be involved, aka he'll be in the room.  He's not going to have the say on personnel, its well established JD has final say on all player moves, heavy input from scouts and coaches. 

His last report that JD ignores scouts was also a lie.  JD was a scout, preaches a collaborative process, why go through all of that and have all these meetings to just disregard everyone input?  Especially when anyone you talk to with knowledge of the organization knows thats not the case lol 

pauline pulling a Manish if you ask me. 

Exactly. 

Ol' CBTNY is trolling JetsFandom for clicks, and the assorted hive-brain here is biting the bait, hook, line and sinker.

As usual, @Sperm Edwards crushes it.  +1 to his post as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol based on what, exactly?

Like most, I don’t like Woody (other than very mildly in comparison to his Fredo brother, which stewardship is still Woody’s fault). But the last “meddling” I recall was saying - in the presser after firing Idzik - in hindsight he’d have wanted his GM to re-sign Revis the year he went to NE, if he knew then that the player could’ve been had for so little (under $12MM with only 1 fully guaranteed season). That was what, 7-8 years ago? And it was technically him unwittingly tampering with another team’s under-contract player, not meddling with his own GM. On the contrary, it was evidence & admission he wasn’t meddling with his GM.

The GM here has full autonomy in the draft and FA and there isn’t a GM past or present that’s later even hinted or anonymously leaked that he was forced to draft/sign any player against his will or better judgment over these past 20 years. He heavily promoted a couple (Favre, and especially Tebow) after they were signed; not my thing, but bfd.

He owns the team. Like any/every team owner carrying the team CEO title, he’s been heavily involved with the GM hirings, and is heavily active (or at a minimum heavily consulted) with his team’s HC hiring. Even when interviews/decisions were run by others, from his GM to outside consultants. With Woody that’s been plenty bad enough without making up “facts” like this.

More likely than not, @Skeptable is right. He’s ”involved” in case of potential trades for any big money player, since he may have to sign off on it fast and it’s no secret the Jets’ GM has been actively seeking this end.

Beyond that? Literally every NFL owner is in his team’s war room, and the other 31 team owners (OK, other 30 plus Green Bay’s CEO) aren’t tied up in back closets with duct tape over their mouths & only told what happened after it’s over. If you think most are blind investor type owners I’d like to see this long list of which.

There you go...pooping on a lovely Tuesday morning conspiracy theory thread again.

• Haha 4

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

lol based on what, exactly?

Like most, I don’t like Woody (other than very mildly in comparison to his Fredo brother, which stewardship is still Woody’s fault). But the last “meddling” I recall was saying - in the presser after firing Idzik - in hindsight he’d have wanted his GM to re-sign Revis the year he went to NE, if he knew then that the player could’ve been had for so little (under $12MM with only 1 fully guaranteed season). That was what, 7-8 years ago? And it was technically him unwittingly tampering with another team’s under-contract player, not meddling with his own GM. On the contrary, it was evidence & admission he wasn’t meddling with his GM.

The GM here has full autonomy in the draft and FA and there isn’t a GM past or present that’s later even hinted or anonymously leaked that he was forced to draft/sign any player against his will or better judgment over these past 20 years. He heavily promoted a couple (Favre, and especially Tebow) after they were signed; not my thing, but bfd.

He owns the team. Like any/every team owner carrying the team CEO title, he’s been heavily involved with the GM hirings, and is heavily active (or at a minimum heavily consulted) with his team’s HC hiring. Even when interviews/decisions were run by others, from his GM to outside consultants. With Woody that’s been plenty bad enough without making up “facts” like this.

More likely than not, @Skeptable is right. He’s ”involved” in case of potential trades for any big money player, since he may have to sign off on it fast and it’s no secret the Jets’ GM has been actively seeking this end.

Beyond that? Literally every NFL owner is in his team’s war room, and the other 31 team owners (OK, other 30 plus Green Bay’s CEO) aren’t tied up in back closets with duct tape over their mouths & only told what happened after it’s over. If you think most are blind investor type owners I’d like to see this long list of which.

I really believe it's just Connor Hughes trolling Jets fans to get attention and clicks..  This is what he is morphing into:

24d096fe-bb89-4ea7-bbbe-cdbc6ed84bba.png

• Upvote 1