Woody to be “very involved” in this years draft

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

So you think one of the meddlesome owners in the NFL - goes away for 4 years - and comes back and all of a sudden is going to sit back and just watch?

Now,  we have a GM that's acting completely out of character from what we've seen of him the past 2 1/2 years - 

and we're "gullible" for believing this is possible?

YES!

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol based on what, exactly?

Like most, I don’t like Woody (other than very mildly in comparison to his Fredo brother, which stewardship is still Woody’s fault). But the last “meddling” I recall was saying - in the presser after firing Idzik - in hindsight he’d have wanted his GM to re-sign Revis the year he went to NE, if he knew then that the player could’ve been had for so little (under $12MM with only 1 fully guaranteed season). That was what, 7-8 years ago? And it was technically him unwittingly tampering with another team’s under-contract player, not meddling with his own GM. On the contrary, it was evidence & admission he wasn’t meddling with his GM.

The GM here has full autonomy in the draft and FA and there isn’t a GM past or present that’s later even hinted or anonymously leaked that he was forced to draft/sign any player against his will or better judgment over these past 20 years. He heavily promoted a couple (Favre, and especially Tebow) after they were signed; not my thing, but bfd.

He owns the team. Like any/every team owner carrying the team CEO title, he’s been heavily involved with the GM hirings, and is heavily active (or at a minimum heavily consulted) with his team’s HC hiring. Even when interviews/decisions were run by others, from his GM to outside consultants. With Woody that’s been plenty bad enough without making up “facts” like this.

More likely than not, @Skeptable is right. He’s ”involved” in case of potential trades for any big money player, since he may have to sign off on it fast and it’s no secret the Jets’ GM has been actively seeking this end.

Beyond that? Literally every NFL owner is in his team’s war room, and the other 31 team owners (OK, other 30 plus Green Bay’s CEO) aren’t tied up in back closets with duct tape over their mouths & only told what happened after it’s over. If you think most are blind investor type owners I’d like to see this long list of which.

I know this isn’t popular but I personally don’t mind woody. He will spend the $ and is very engaging with fans, unlike most billionaires. 

We could have worst owners like that rich tool down in Carolina ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

Just now, oatmeal said:

I know this isn’t popular but I personally don’t mind woody. He will spend the $ and is very engaging with fans, unlike most billionaires. 

Or Dan "What Law or Rule Hasn't He Broken" Snyder, Lord High King of the Failed Meddling NFL Owners.

• Sympathy 2

Just now, oatmeal said:

Who are you and what have you done with the real Oatmeal?  :)

• Haha 3

Just now, IndianaJet said:

Connor Hughes is the one guy who tweets the picks before they are actually announced on the draft telecasts.   

Yeah... so how is that relevant to what he has been doing this off season?   This off-season demonstrates a complete change of character for this guy.  It is plain as day that he has become a mouthpiece for the Jets F.O. and/or a click-bait troller to boot.  At this point, you can't trust anything he writes.  too bad.  Like Manish (when he was with the Star-Ledger) Hughes is transitioning from a very good beat reporter to a Mehta clone (in the days of Maccagnan) for the Jets.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah... so how is that relevant to what he has been doing this off season?   This off-season demonstrates a complete change of character for this guy.  It is plain as day that he has become a mouthpiece for the Jets F.O. and/or a click-bait troller to boot.  At this point, you can't trust anything he writes.  too bad.  Like Manish (when he was with the Star-Ledger) Hughes is transitioning from a very good beat reporter to a Mehta clone (in the days of Maccagnan) for the Jets.

That's the point. I probably should have made it more clear.

He's a click bait trolling whiny little bitch.

Just about EVERYONE else in NFL circles waits to tweet the picks until it is shown on TV, although at times, the pick is known minutes ahead.

Not Connor tho...he tweets it as soon as he finds out and ruins the broadcast for people.  It's litterally why I blocked him and canceled my subscription to the Athletic.

He's a little sh*t head that deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

• Upvote 1

Just now, IndianaJet said:

That's the point. I probably should have made it more clear.

He's a click bait trolling whiny little bitch.

Just about EVERYONE else in NFL circles waits to tweet the picks until it is shown on TV, although at times, the pick is known minutes ahead.

Not Connor tho...he tweets it as soon as he finds out and ruins the broadcast for people.  It's litterally why I blocked him and canceled my subscription to the Athletic.

He's a little sh*t head that deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

I misunderstood your other post. ^Agree 100%.  Connor Hughes is turning into a little weasel. And we Jets fans get to watch his transition like a sci-fi movie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Woody is a jackass with ZERO football scouting skills.  Z-E-R-O.

Woody Johnson is the biggest reason why this team perpetually sucks. 

Hey dumbass Woody, stay the F away from the draft,  you moron.

And, in case you didn't already know, most Jets fans hate you.

(edited: to milder content)

Woody Johnson is why Bill Bellichick and then Bill Parcells both  fled this franchise like the building was on fire. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol based on what, exactly?

Like most, I don’t like Woody (other than very mildly in comparison to his Fredo brother, which stewardship is still Woody’s fault). But the last “meddling” I recall was saying - in the presser after firing Idzik - in hindsight he’d have wanted his GM to re-sign Revis the year he went to NE, if he knew then that the player could’ve been had for so little (under $12MM with only 1 fully guaranteed season). That was what, 7-8 years ago? And it was technically him unwittingly tampering with another team’s under-contract player, not meddling with his own GM. On the contrary, it was evidence & admission he wasn’t meddling with his GM.

The GM here has full autonomy in the draft and FA and there isn’t a GM past or present that’s later even hinted or anonymously leaked that he was forced to draft/sign any player against his will or better judgment over these past 20 years. He heavily promoted a couple (Favre, and especially Tebow) after they were signed; not my thing, but bfd.

He owns the team. Like any/every team owner carrying the team CEO title, he’s been heavily involved with the GM hirings, and is heavily active (or at a minimum heavily consulted) with his team’s HC hiring. Even when interviews/decisions were run by others, from his GM to outside consultants. With Woody that’s been plenty bad enough without making up “facts” like this.

More likely than not, @Skeptable is right. He’s ”involved” in case of potential trades for any big money player, since he may have to sign off on it fast and it’s no secret the Jets’ GM has been actively seeking this end.

Beyond that? Literally every NFL owner is in his team’s war room, and the other 31 team owners (OK, other 30 plus Green Bay’s CEO) aren’t tied up in back closets with duct tape over their mouths & only told what happened after it’s over. If you think most are blind investor type owners I’d like to see this long list of which.

The condescending LOL is so off-putting.  

What are you basing your love of Woody on?  What has the team produced under his ownership?

It is now and has been incredibly clear to me that Woody's first priority is to positive PR - with winning coming second.   Making ill advised splashy moves has been a theme under his ownership - from GM to GM this has been consistent.

Joe has had a focused, thoughtful, methodical approach and now that Woody is back - all of sudden we're seeing very uncharacteristic behavior from him. 

Certainly, it's Woody's  team and he has every right to do what he wants.  Of course he's in the war room, and surely most owners have say in their billion dollar business.  You can say what you want about other owners -  But...

1) Woody, as an owner, has been bad at putting the pieces together win.  It's been refreshing to watch an organization be run in a truly professional manner the past 2 1/2 years- while Woody was gone.

2) I am concerned with Woody seemingly now involved in personnel decisions the professionalism we've seen will be gone and the team will be back to trying to win via FA and back page.   With rosters designed to get to the playoffs every 4 or 5 years - but never having a real shot at a championship.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

What are you basing your love of Woody on?  What has the team produced under his ownership?

It is now and has been incredibly clear to me that Woody's first priority is to positive PR - with winning coming second.   Making ill advised splashy moves has been a theme under his ownership - from GM to GM this has been consistent.

Joe has had a focused, thoughtful, methodical approach and now that Woody is back - all of sudden we're seeing very uncharacteristic behavior from him. 

Certainly, it's Woody's  team and he has every right to do what he wants.  Of course he's in the war room, and surely most owners have say in their billion dollar business.  You can say what you want about other owners -  But...

1) Woody, as an owner, has been bad at putting the pieces together win.  It's been refreshing to watch an organization be run in a truly professional manner the past 2 1/2 years- while Woody was gone.

2) I am concerned with Woody seemingly now involved in personnel decisions the professionalism we've seen will be gone and the team will be back to trying to win via FA and back page.   With rosters designed to get to the playoffs every 4 or 5 years - but never having a real shot at a championship.  

What has been uncharacteristic about Joe this offseason?

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I misunderstood your other post. ^Agree 100%.  Connor Hughes is turning into a little weasel. And we Jets fans get to watch his transition like a sci-fi movie.

100%...people forget.  When Manish first hit the Jets beat he was one of the best.  Cimini was at the News and I think Manish was at the Ledger (maybe?).  Cimini had the market cornered on trolling, sh*t post stories.  At that time, Manish....dare I say it....was well liked by most Jets fans and was considered one of our best beat writers.

Then Cimini left for ESPN and Manish got the News gig...and the transformation from a good beat writer to a POS began.

• Upvote 1

My post:

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Like most, I don’t like Woody (other than very mildly in comparison to his Fredo brother, which stewardship is still Woody’s fault).

Your response:

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What are you basing your love of Woody on?  

I saw this at the top of your post & decided your blatant trolling endeavor isn't worth reading. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

What has been uncharacteristic about Joe this offseason?

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Don't agree with this.  The run at Tyreek Hill was a football move.  If anything, I think JD and Saleh had to convince Woody the PR fallout from the domestic violence history was worth the risk...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My post:

Your response:

I saw this at the top of your post & decided your blatant trolling endeavor isn't worth reading. 

If this is the way you choose to respond to people that don't agree with you, that's fine.

I am, by no means, trolling, I happen to believe Woody's involvement in personnel decisions is not good for the NY Jets and I also believe there are legitimate signs that that is occurring.

Not saying it's certain - but there are legitimate signs that worry me.

You don't have to agree with that opinion, it's fine.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If this is the way you choose to respond to people that don't agree with you, that's fine.

I am, by no means, trolling, I happen to believe Woody's involvement in personnel decisions is not good for the NY Jets and I also believe there are legitimate signs that that is occurring.

Not saying it's certain - but there are legitimate signs that worry me.

You don't have to agree with that opinion, it's fine.

In fairness, he made a very good point. 

He explicitly said he doesn't like Woody, and you started with "Why do you love Woody".

Sorry mate, this one is on you.  Take away that line, maybe Sperm gives the post more credence, but starting off with an obvious lie (that he "loves" Woody) is a bad faith way of starting a discourse.

• Upvote 2