Jets Pre-Draft Roster and Analysis - (In my opinion)

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

I think you may be under estimating need at IDL.  Even with JFM playing more on the inside, this whole scheme is based on applying pressure from the front four.  Q is coming off a so-so season and the rest of the roster is basically stop gaps and JAGs

Must be his 2010s PTSD from all those DT picks.  I don’t blame him.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

JETS 6 MOST URGENT NEEDS IN THE 2022 DRAFT

1. Wide Receiver
  2. Linebacker
  3. Edge Rusher
  4. Cornerback
  5. Back Up Offensive Line
  6. Back Up Running Back

CB should be #6 on the list. DJ Reed, Hall, Echols, Carter II, Guidry. Thats a solid group of guys who can play on the boundary and in the slot- with at least one (DJ Reed) you can feel confident going up against top WRs.  

Also, what I don't see is FS on the list. Sure, between Joyner, Davis, Pinnock, Parks, and Riley, someone will hopefully themselves as the starter. But right now the Jets lost their starting FS in Maye and have not replaced him with a legit starter.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I think you may be under estimating need at IDL.  Even with JFM playing more on the inside, this whole scheme is based on applying pressure from the front four.  Q is coming off a so-so season and the rest of the roster is basically stop gaps and JAGs

This, we need to leave this draft with another IDL. Or sign a vet after.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. Wide Receiver
  2. Linebacker
  3. Edge Rusher
  4. Cornerback
  6. Back Up Running Back

1. Edge

2. WR

3. OT (sorry, Mekhi is backup until he’s not)

4. LB

5. Early down RB

6. Defensive backs

• Upvote 1

I do not see the priorities the same as you do but I think your player ratings are right on.

1.  I do not think the OL is at expectation yet

2.  I like a WR here but not Deebo - if we add one it should be an X1, not a trick pony.

3. Hard to argue against 1 or 2 edge picks.  Though the DT would be an interesting pick too.

4.  Always need a good LB

5.  Would not mind a Riggins/Czonka type RB.  I hate RBs that dance.*

* One of my favorite Jet game moments - my partner and I were in one of the endzone first level seats and McNeil had a run.  It was freezing and the only thing warm was the 1942 we snuck into the game with us.  After what looked to be a short gain, a collective grunt from those in our area, I starting dispensing a round of shots to those in our area, the announcer said...."Freeman McNeil, 24 yard gain."  My partner then said the only way we would get better seats is when they build a new stadium.  He was right.

• Upvote 1

Nice work, Sarge. I’d put Edge above LB due to positional importance/value, but we’ll done. Feeney’s contract is fully guaranteed, so I’d put him in green, too. RB looks like a bigger concern here. Still some good ones available in free agency, though. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I’d probably list JFM and Solomon Thomas as DTs, because that’s where I expect them to mostly line up this year. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I think Solomon Thomas plays inside as well.

What did Jets may be lacking is a big run stuffer next to an interior 3-technique DT like Quinnen.

There are some day 2 and day 3 guys like that. guys with only modest pass rush skills but really good against the run. You can typically get them later in the draft. Their names are escaping me now but there’s that kid from Connecticut, I think Mathis from Alabama, etc.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, freestater said:

It depresses me that as of now, when Becton goes down, we have Edoga and McDermott poised to be in the lineup. 

JD won’t accept that. Even with Morgan Moses as his OT3 last year, Conor McDermott played in six games. He started three of them. This Jets team is one injury to George Fant away from complete disaster and dysfunction on offense.

Do we know if this GM places any value on offensive line? Answer: He does. Big time.

Ekwonu makes a ton of sense for this team at #4.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

85 - Trevon Wesco 6'3" 267  West Virginia  (TE/FB)   - sh/be orange

xx - Solomon Thomas 6'3" 280 Stanford (DE)  sh/be green - unless they get totally outplayed by someone I dont see him getting cut

xx - Jacob Martin 6'2" 242 Temple (DE/LB)  sh/be green - unless they get totally outplayed by someone I dont see him getting cut

99 - Vinny Curry 6'3" 279 Marshall (DE) sh not be bold - doubt he makes final cut

97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)   unless he surprises I doubt he makes it past final cut

34 - Justin Hardee 6'1" 194 Illinois (CB) altho he vocal and ST captain with all new young blood I would not consider green

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

JD won’t accept that. Even with Morgan Moses as his OT3 last year, Conor McDermott played in six games. He started three of them. This Jets team is one injury to George Fant away from complete disaster and dysfunction on offense.

Do we know if this GM places any value on offensive line? Answer: He does. Big time.

Ekwonu makes a ton of sense for this team at #4.

I'm completely fine with that. Especially with the medical rumor about Raimann now. I've said it before, drafting o-line should be like voting in Chicago...early and often. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think Solomon Thomas plays inside as well.

What did Jets may be lacking is a big run stuffer next to an interior 3-technique DT like Quinnen.

There are some day 2 and day 3 guys like that. guys with only modest pass rush skills but really good against the run. You can typically get them later in the draft. Their names are escaping me now but there’s that kid from Connecticut, I think Mathis from Alabama, etc.

UConn guy  I think is Travis Jones and if he's still there would likely go early 2nd round

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

UConn guy  I think is Travis Jones and if he's still there would likely go early 2nd round

Yes, that’s him. it would probably turn off a lot of people but if he is there at 38 I don’t think I’d have a problem taking him. Likely means the Jets don’t hit either a linebacker or safety in the 2nd though.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

PRE-DRAFT ROSTER UPDATE AND ANALYSIS

1. Wide Receiver
  2. Linebacker
  3. Edge Rusher
  4. Cornerback
  6. Back Up Running Back

Great effort as always Sarge, appreciated. o7

I would disagree with you only slightly, my own view is:

1. Pass Rush (likely from an Edge)

2. Offensive Weapon (likely in the form of a potential #1 WR)

3. Linebacker

4. Cornerback

5. #2 RB to Pair with Carter in a 2-Back Split-Carries Backfield

6. Offensive Line Depth (this is key on Becton, how JD prioritizes this will, IMO, say alot about his view on Becton).

7. Defensive Line

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes, that’s him. it would probably turn off a lot of people but if he is there at 38 I don’t think I’d have a problem taking him. Likely means the Jets don’t hit either a linebacker or safety in the 2nd though.

The whole S/LB approach is weird to me.  I don't like these hybrid guys weighing 215 lbs matching up with guys like Kelce, Gronkowski, Andrews, etc.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Have you seen the glasses for colorblindness?

Oh yes, done all the research. The glasses don't really show the color contrast for the type and severity of color blindness I have. Deuteranopia, red-green, is the most common type. It just happens that I have it really frickin badly. 

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

JFM playing more on the inside

It's the same position. 5-tech end on base downs, interior rusher in wide sub fronts. Last year he stayed at edge in nickel because they were depleted there and had the room to carry a second backup 3-tech to platoon with Fatukasi. This year the rotation is likely to be JFM plus 4 ends and 3 tackles instead of 3 ends and 4 tackles. One of Rankins and Shepherd is redundant and will be cut depending on how much money they need. Either way the nose tackle snaps still need to be replaced unless anybody actually believes that changing a player's nominal position from DE to DT magically bestows the ability to play over center on first down.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

The whole S/LB approach is weird to me.  I don't like these hybrid guys weighing 215 lbs matching up with guys like Kelce, Gronkowski, Andrews, etc.  

The Jets can find a true LB in this Draft in Round 2.  Not a project, not a converted Safety, etc.  And, I actually think it's a priority that would let them move off CJ Mosely in 2023 if they find the heir apparent in this Draft.  Lots of inside and outside guys, good athletes, great experience, solid tacklers with some leadership qualities.  Just a very good list of options from the 30's through about 70 in this Draft.

And/or they could nail a true Safety like Cine or a Pitre.  Early Round 2 is the sweet spot for adding defenders, maybe even at both spots 35 and 38.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets can find a true LB in this Draft in Round 2.  Not a project, not a converted Safety, etc.  And, I actually think it's a priority that would let them move off CJ Mosely in 2023 if they find the heir apparent in this Draft.  Lots inside and outside guys, good athletes, great experience, solid tacklers with some leadership qualities.  Just a very good list of options from the 30's through about 70 in this Draft.

And/or they could nail a true Safety like Cine or a Pitre.  Early Round 2 is the sweet spot for adding defenders, maybe even a both spots 35 and 38.

People's heads would explode if 3 of JD's first 4 picks are on defense.   But I can see it happening...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jets Things said:

Oh yes, done all the research. The glasses don't really show the color contrast for the type and severity of color blindness I have. Deuteranopia, red-green, is the most common type. It just happens that I have it really frickin badly. 

Sorry to hear man. Kinda makes me blue. Oops. Sorry again.