Sneaky Jets Draft Plan No One is Talking About That is True Best Case Scenario

Litez

None of the projected top ten rated prospects are really exciting this year.
I think if no trade down opportunities arise for #4 then they should take Icky/ Neal since the o line really isn’t all that settled next year. That way replacement for Fant and or Becton gained a year of experience and get step right in. JJ would be an ok pick at 10 which fills a need Real good WRs can be had in the second round along with linebacker help 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I really think the JJ talk is genuine, but less of an option at #4 and more so at #10. 

A scenario absolutely exists where JJ and Kayvon are there at #10, in which case it sounds like they would prefer JJ. There’s also a scenario where JJ goes before Thibs and the Jets take Thibs at #10.

Right now I think it will be Ekwonu then JJ/Thibs, with the Jets addressing WR via trade (from 35 into round 1 or for a veteran). My “mole” said they don’t think Sauce will be there at #4, but if he is, things get really interesting. Would come down to who they have higher out of Ekwonu vs. Sauce, and if they did take Sauce would they double-dip on D or take a WR? That much hasn’t been made clear to me.

Very Interesting . That means Sauce at 3? Doesn't Lovie run heavy Cover 2? If so Mcduffie at 13 would be a much better fit.

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

I really think the JJ talk is genuine, but less of an option at #4 and more so at #10. 

A scenario absolutely exists where JJ and Kayvon are there at #10, in which case it sounds like they would prefer JJ. There’s also a scenario where JJ goes before Thibs and the Jets take Thibs at #10.

Right now I think it will be Ekwonu then JJ/Thibs, with the Jets addressing WR via trade (from 35 into round 1 or for a veteran). My “mole” said they don’t think Sauce will be there at #4, but if he is, things get really interesting. Would come down to who they have higher out of Ekwonu vs. Sauce, and if they did take Sauce would they double-dip on D or take a WR? That much hasn’t been made clear to me.

I think the Jets know who your mole is and they are feeding him bad info. Most of the expert mocks are wrong but they are mostly somewhat  close and I have not seen one where Gardner is taken in the top 3. If the Jets want him, he will most likely be there. There is more of a chance Ekky won't  be there. I personally believe Jacksonville grabs him first overall.  

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Trading up from pick 10 in a draft that is widely considered weak in terms of top end talent is hardly a best case scenario.  In fact, I would consider this a worst case scenario.

Keep the picks at the top of the second round.  This range is widely considered the strength of the draft.

Getting their favorite available edge while also getting 1 of the very few blue chip prospects in the draft and also Deebo Samuel is DEFINITELY not worst case scenario. Come on now that silly. I would say JJ at 4 and Penning at 10 is probably worst realistic case scenario under JD. I think we gotta come away with a potential superstar thats relatively safe with 1 of these picks.

Yes you can really get some STUDS in the 2nd round. Linderbaum, Dean, Dax Hill, Cine, Brisker, Karlaftis Mafe, Ebiketie would all be amazing 2nd round players. If we can get 2 of those guys I would be ecstatic. We would either have to LOVE KT at 4, truly think KT or JJ will be there at 10, or we're willing to go edge in the 2nd round then yeah keeping the 2nd round picks will wind up being better. Especially if GK, Mafe, or Ebiketie are sitting there. But a lot of what happens is out of our control. Thats the nature of the draft I get it, but my scenario gives us what we need/want and don't need luck to get it done. Figured I would mention it because I haven't seen any1 talk about this and I think its something we could realistically do. It blind sides and screws the Giants over too which makes it better ? 

40 minutes ago, Litez said:

Getting their favorite available edge while also getting 1 of the very few blue chip prospects in the draft and also Deebo Samuel is DEFINITELY not worst case scenario. Come on now that silly. I would say JJ at 4 and Penning at 10 is probably worst realistic case scenario under JD. I think we gotta come away with a potential superstar thats relatively safe with 1 of these picks.

Yes you can really get some STUDS in the 2nd round. Linderbaum, Dean, Dax Hill, Cine, Brisker, Karlaftis Mafe, Ebiketie would all be amazing 2nd round players. If we can get 2 of those guys I would be ecstatic. We would either have to LOVE KT at 4, truly think KT or JJ will be there at 10, or we're willing to go edge in the 2nd round then yeah keeping the 2nd round picks will wind up being better. Especially if GK, Mafe, or Ebiketie are sitting there. But a lot of what happens is out of our control. Thats the nature of the draft I get it, but my scenario gives us what we need/want and don't need luck to get it done. Figured I would mention it because I haven't seen any1 talk about this and I think its something we could realistically do. It blind sides and screws the Giants over too which makes it better ? 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't exactly see this as a prudent move.  You are giving up 6 picks for 3 players, which in my opinion is difficult to support for a team that needs a major infusion of talent in multiple spots.  It's also very much within the realm of possibility that both Gardner and Johnson/Thibs will be available at the Jets picks of 4 and 10 without making any trades at all.

I believe the chances of SF trading Deebo Samuel without getting a first round pick in return are slim to none, but I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, Litez said:

I'm seeing a lot of JJ vs KT talk and honestly I don't think either of them are worth it at 4. I personally want JJ but at 10 not 4. We need a true blue chip guy there. The problem is both edges could easily be gone by 10. So what do we do?

We trade up with the Panthers ! .....WTF who is this guy making this dumb post?? No seriously it makes sense. We trade 10 and 69 for pick 6. Giants will take a Tackle at 5 to make sure Panthers don't take their guy and they will have no worry about edge because they think they'll have their guy at 7. Little do we know we're going to jump them for that edge! Panthers take Pickett at 10 and can use 69 for more OL help. They desperately need another pick in this years draft.

4. Sauce or Icky (I think 2 best prospects in this draft)

6. JJ or KT (One will be there at 6 in pretty much every scenario. Ensures Giants, Falcons and Seahawks from taking them before us)

Trade 35,38, and next years 3rd round pick for Deebo Samuel.

4th round take a safety and linebacker. Or OT with 1 of those picks if we dont take Ekwonu at 4.

PROSPER

This completely ignores the possibility of the Panthers wanting to draft a QB (who you actually mock for them at 10). the NYG, CAR, ATL and SEA ALL need QBs. If the Panthers drop down to 10, that's 3 more QB needy teams going ahead of them. Makes no sense. They would have to be SURE none of them will take a QB. And how could they be sure? Now, WILL NYG, CAR, ATL, SEA ALL take QBs...of course not. Personally, I think Malik Willis is the only one to go top 10- purely on upside. And I think Seattle will end up taking him. But that's just me.    

1 hour ago, football guy said:

This all makes sense to me. The draft class has a lot of parity at WR. I think it’s conceivable that late 1st early 2nd could bet the same caliber WR as #10.

I think the top 3 tackles, Sauuce and the edge group real olly warrants the first 2 picks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't exactly see this as a prudent move.  You are giving up 6 picks for 3 players, which in my opinion is difficult to support for a team that needs a major infusion of talent in multiple spots.  It's also very much within the realm of possibility that both Gardner and Johnson/Thibs will be available at the Jets picks of 4 and 10 without making any trades at all.

I believe the chances of SF trading Deebo Samuel without getting a first round pick in return are slim to none, but I guess we'll see.

There's a lot of ways we can go about this draft that I would like but there's some scary scenarios as well so I do like the idea of limiting that chance. 

But yeah man Im with ya going Sauce at 4 really opens up what we can do. We're definitely getting a playmaker at 10 that will help our team.. it just might not be an edge. If JJ and Thibs aren't there at 10 I would want them to take London. Im ok with Jameson Williams too but rather Drake. And then take Kartlaftis, Mafe, or Ebiketie in the 2nd.

I just am starting to really think we're taking JJ at 4 and I like him a lot but damn man not at 4. JJ and London are 2 prospects I really would like on the Jets but I wouldn't feel great if that's what we did at 4 and 10. Both guys are mid to late first rounders in any other draft. 

7 hours ago, football guy said:

My “mole” said they don’t think Sauce will be there at #4, but if he is, things get really interesting. Would come down to who they have higher out of Ekwonu vs. Sauce, and if they did take Sauce would they double-dip on D or take a WR? That much hasn’t been made clear to me.

Serious question....

They have all this already addressed, correct?

I mean they've already decided on exactly who they're taking at 4 and 10 - based on virtually every scenario.  

In other words, who is solely determined on how the board falls...but  tthey'll be no discussion at 4 and 10 - it's already been decided?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

None of the projected top ten rated prospects are really exciting this year.
I think if no trade down opportunities arise for #4 then they should take Icky/ Neal since the o line really isn’t all that settled next year. That way replacement for Fant and or Becton gained a year of experience and get step right in. JJ would be an ok pick at 10 which fills a need Real good WRs can be had in the second round along with linebacker help 

Yeah, draft a player at #4 just to have him sit on the bench for a year. And they're not gonna get a lot of experience that way.

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

The Jets best case scenario is actually this, and it is not as far fetched this week as it's been the previous 4 months.

1. JAX - Travon Walker (betting favorite suddenly)

2. DET - Malik Willis (+350 to go to Detroit)  There is a strong possibility w/ $30m Cap Savings over next 2 years.

3. HOU - Evan Neal (+450 to go to Houston)  See "Failed Meds" thread concerning Neal.

4. NYJ - Aidan Hutchinson

No Way Hutch is there at #4.... unfortunately!

Jared Goff contract details

image.thumb.png.f8053e2689e7e69cb51270bf37e3dd7c.png

I think the best case scenario is that the Jags still take Hutch (no way he falls out of the top 3), Detroit really DOES want a QB (highly unlikely) and they take Willis (or whoever), and HOU decides to go with Neal over Ekwonu. 

This is the best possible scenario IMO.

And all it really does is give JD a bigger headache. Because now he has to choose between Ekwonu, Thib, Gardner...and all the other top prospects who may not fall to 10 (JJ, Wilson, Walker, Cross, etc.).

Worst case scenario, Hutch, Ekwonu, Thib go top 3. This is VERY likely. Jet will probably take Gardner in this scenario and hope JJ or wilson slide to 10. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, draft a player at #4 just to have him sit on the bench for a year. And they're not gonna get a lot of experience that way.

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

So reach for a player who is not worth a #4 pick in the draft and have him bust and doesn’t earn a second contract. Where if you draft one of the tackles and Fant isn’t resigned or Becton doesn’t pan out you have his replacement. Also I really don’t think he will be on the bench all that long either 

The Jets best case scenario is actually this, and it is not as far fetched this week as it's been the previous 4 months.
2. DET - Malik Willis (+350 to go to Detroit)
3. HOU - Evan Neal (+450 to go to Houston)

Would be extremely happy with this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

No Way Hutch is there at #4.... unfortunately!

Jared Goff contract details

image.thumb.png.f8053e2689e7e69cb51270bf37e3dd7c.png

While I agree. DET will not take a QB at 2. Goff's contract has little to do with it. Sure, it won't make sense to cut him loose next year with 30mil dead cap. However, Malik Willis is a developmental QB, you draft him to have him sit a season before you start him. Something the Jets probably should have done with Zach- and Zach was way more polished coming out of college than a prospect like Willis. If you cut/trade Goff in 2023, suddenly its not that bad and frees up a bunch of cap space, despite the 10mil in dead cap. You can also keep him around and compete for the starting spot in 2023 with Willis- who, in theory, should easily win out. 

• Upvote 1

Trading up from pick 10 in a draft that is widely considered weak in terms of top end talent is hardly a best case scenario.  In fact, I would consider this a worst case scenario.
Keep the picks at the top of the second round.  This range is widely considered the strength of the draft.

This.

So you would be mad if we walked away with Icky/Sauce, KT, and Deebo ?

For 6 quality picks. I wouldn’t be ecstatic. All good players but only deebo is a sure thing We need talent at too many levels to only come away with 3 players when the strength of this draft is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

So reach for a player who is not worth a #4 pick in the draft and have him bust and doesn’t earn a second contract. Where if you draft one of the tackles and Fant isn’t resigned or Becton doesn’t pan out you have his replacement. Also I really don’t think he will be on the bench all that long either 

Well, in a way, you guys are both wrong. lol. 

If JD drafts Ekwonu at #4 its not because he is ready to move on from Becton or Fant. Its simply because he is going after one of the best players in the draft. He knows full well he will have too many OT's/Gs on the team. Its a luxury. But he also knows that Fant will be a FA after this season and Becton has not been able to stay on the field...so far. Mainly its a BAP pick. So, yeah. Ekwonu may not end up being a starter, he may end up sitting on the bench more than your typical #4 overall pick. But you bet your a** if the Jets draft him they will use him in the run game. And next year, once they refine his pass protection, odds are they will let Fant walk and use that money to address other needs. This assumes Becton plays well and stays healthy. I have no issue with this. 

If the Jets DON'T take Ekwonu, they certainly won't be REACHING for anyone. JD will take the best player on THEIR board. I don't think you can assume said player will bust. I think as many have speculated it will either be one of the top Edge rushers or Gardner. Gardner is certainly 'worth' a #4 pick. Depending on the edge rusher you are talking about, he will definitely be a fit for Saleh's defense, so you have to assume he will get the most out of him. And the remaining edges (assuming Thib is gone)- Walker and JJ...are great prospects. Their bust potential is definitely overblown.     

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

For 6 quality picks. I wouldn’t be ecstatic. All good players but only deebo is a sure thing We need talent at too many levels to only come away with 3 players when the strength of this draft is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I feel that. We do still have 2 4ths and two 5ths as well to get some quality players. Would you like this scenario more if we didn't trade for Deebo and took lets say Dotson or Watson, and Cine? Or losing that 3rd round pick to ensure we get the edge we want is the issue?

I feel that. We do still have 2 4ths and two 5ths as well to get some quality players. Would you like this scenario more if we didn't trade for Deebo and took lets say Dotson or Watson, and Cine? Or losing that 3rd round pick to ensure we get the edge we want is the issue?

I think we need to play to the strength of this draft. I’d rather trade #10 for deebo straight up.

4 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

2. DET - Malik Willis (+350 to go to Detroit)

3. HOU - Evan Neal (+450 to go to Houston)

You want a grossly overrated defensive lineman ?

4 hours ago, Litez said:

I'm seeing a lot of JJ vs KT talk and honestly I don't think either of them are worth it at 4. I personally want JJ but at 10 not 4. We need a true blue chip guy there. The problem is both edges could easily be gone by 10. So what do we do?

We trade up with the Panthers ! .....WTF who is this guy making this dumb post?? No seriously it makes sense. We trade 10 and 69 for pick 6. Giants will take a Tackle at 5 to make sure Panthers don't take their guy and they will have no worry about edge because they think they'll have their guy at 7. Little do we know we're going to jump them for that edge! Panthers take Pickett at 10 and can use 69 for more OL help. They desperately need another pick in this years draft.

4. Sauce or Icky (I think 2 best prospects in this draft)

6. JJ or KT (One will be there at 6 in pretty much every scenario. Ensures Giants, Falcons and Seahawks from taking them before us)

Trade 35,38, and next years 3rd round pick for Deebo Samuel.

4th round take a safety and linebacker. Or OT with 1 of those picks if we dont take Ekwonu at 4.

PROSPER

I like the idea. I would take Icky at 4. Then the Giants probably go Cross or Neal and we grab Sauce at 6. Two best players in the draft ?

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

And take edge/OT at 4

If we wind up with Ekwonu, Deebo, Ebiketie, and Dean/Cine I'm with that all day. If we're taking OT at 4 though we better get an edge somewhere that we really like or its a big fail. We have to really improve our defense in this draft. If we aren't taking Johnson or Thibs, I really don't want us to miss out on taking Karlaftis, Mafe, or Ebiketie. Almost feel like we would have to trade back up to get the one we want at the end of the 1st and you lose the 3rd round pick anyways by doing that.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Serious question....

They have all this already addressed, correct?

I mean they've already decided on exactly who they're taking at 4 and 10 - based on virtually every scenario.  

In other words, who is solely determined on how the board falls...but  there's they'll be no discussion at 4 and 10 - it's already been decided.  

Staring George Costanza GIF

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2