Jump to content

Sneaky Jets Draft Plan No One is Talking About That is True Best Case Scenario


Litez
 Share

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, CSNY said:

So reach for a player who is not worth a #4 pick in the draft and have him bust and doesn’t earn a second contract. Where if you draft one of the tackles and Fant isn’t resigned or Becton doesn’t pan out you have his replacement. Also I really don’t think he will be on the bench all that long either 

You're assuming that a tackle we take at #4 isn't just as likely as busting as any other player, or being a downgrade from Fant/Becton.

As others have already stated, I'd rather shoot for a player who can move the needle for the Jets more than a OL would at #4, than use that high pick for depth. Only if they plan on moving Becton this offseason, does it even remotely make sense.

Personally, though, I'd prefer a trade back from #4, and using our #10 to acquire Deebo.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jumpinjoe said:

I like the idea. I would take Icky at 4. Then the Giants probably go Cross or Neal and we grab Sauce at 6. Two best players in the draft 😀

I think it's very realistic that Sauce and Ekwonu are their top 2 on their board. If this trade gets you both of them you gotta do it right? Its worth losing a 3rd rounder imo. The Giants have to take a Tackle at 5. And Panthers are definitely going to look to trade down if theyre going QB. I think its something Douglas is going to be all over. Whether it be for both Icky and Sauce or 1 of them and an edge.

Perfect situation to do that is if top 3 go Hutch, Walker, and KT. Take Ekwonu at 4. If Giants go Neal, you trade up and take Sauce. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're assuming that a tackle we take at #4 isn't just as likely as busting as any other player, or being a downgrade from Fant/Becton.
As others have already stated, I'd rather shoot for a player who can move the needle for the Jets more than a OL would at #4, than use that high pick for depth. Only if they plan on moving Becton this offseason, does it even remotely make sense.
Personally, though, I'd prefer a trade back from #4, and using our #10 to acquire Deebo.

I guess it depends on what San Francisco wants for deebo. We could trade back from 10 and trade that 1st rounder for deebo and use whatever pick we get from the trade back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Litez said:

I'm seeing a lot of JJ vs KT talk and honestly I don't think either of them are worth it at 4. I personally want JJ but at 10 not 4. We need a true blue chip guy there. The problem is both edges could easily be gone by 10. So what do we do?

We trade up with the Panthers ! .....WTF who is this guy making this dumb post?? No seriously it makes sense. We trade 10 and 69 for pick 6. Giants will take a Tackle at 5 to make sure Panthers don't take their guy and they will have no worry about edge because they think they'll have their guy at 7. Little do we know we're going to jump them for that edge! Panthers take Pickett at 10 and can use 69 for more OL help. They desperately need another pick in this years draft.

4. Sauce or Icky (I think 2 best prospects in this draft)

6. JJ or KT (One will be there at 6 in pretty much every scenario. Ensures Giants, Falcons and Seahawks from taking them before us)

Trade 35,38, and next years 3rd round pick for Deebo Samuel.

4th round take a safety and linebacker. Or OT with 1 of those picks if we dont take Ekwonu at 4.

PROSPER

Best case scenario is we trade down from both picks and not take two guys in the top 10 that wouldn’t be top 10 draft picks in a majority of the recent drafts….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Best case scenario is we trade down from both picks and not take two guys in the top 10 that wouldn’t be top 10 draft picks in a majority of the recent drafts….

Douglas is good but he's not that good lol. I could see us trading 4 for 16 and 19 with Saints or 10 for 20 + their 2nd rounder? with the Steelers. But I don't think he'll be able to trade down both times in this draft

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, football guy said:

I really think the JJ talk is genuine, but less of an option at #4 and more so at #10. 

A scenario absolutely exists where JJ and Kayvon are there at #10, in which case it sounds like they would prefer JJ. There’s also a scenario where JJ goes before Thibs and the Jets take Thibs at #10.

Right now I think it will be Ekwonu then JJ/Thibs, with the Jets addressing WR via trade (from 35 into round 1 or for a veteran). My “mole” said they don’t think Sauce will be there at #4, but if he is, things get really interesting. Would come down to who they have higher out of Ekwonu vs. Sauce, and if they did take Sauce would they double-dip on D or take a WR? That much hasn’t been made clear to me.

Do you feel JD is willing to take the L on Becton after just two years?  I'm struggling with the psychology here.  Becton is his first ever draft pick.  It can be spun as a hedge, with Fant's contract expiring, but it cannot be viewed any other way that admitting to a huge miss...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:


I guess it depends on what San Francisco wants for deebo. We could trade back from 10 and trade that 1st rounder for deebo and use whatever pick we get from the trade back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If JD could pull that off, I'd go bonkers (in a good way). As it stands, though, I'm totally fine giving up the #10 straight up, along with maybe a 3rd or 4th to seal the deal if need be. Although, I think the #10 alone is very close in value to what we were going to give up for Hill, but I could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Do you feel JD is willing to take the L on Becton after just two years?  I'm struggling with the psychology here.  Becton is his first ever draft pick.  It can be spun as a hedge, with Fant's contract expiring, but it cannot be viewed any other way that admitting to a huge miss...

There should be no reason a healthy Becton cant win out the LT job vs Fant. Ideally you would put Ekwonu at RT right away and let Fant and Becton battle it out on the left. If Fant loses and Becton stays healthy you let Fant go next year and use that money to improve the team elsewhere. If Becton busts then thank god we took Ekwonu lol. It does makes sense. I don't love going OT that early (I would rather get a depth OT later) and would HATE Neal at 4 but I can get behind going Icky and us potentially having the best run blocking oline in the league. That will help Zach and could save Douglas' job if Fant or Becton go down again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Litez said:

There should be no reason a healthy Becton cant win out the LT job vs Fant. Ideally you would put Ekwonu at RT right away and let Fant and Becton battle it out on the left. If Fant loses and Becton stays healthy you let Fant go next year and use that money to improve the team elsewhere. If Becton busts then thank god we took Ekwonu lol. It does makes sense. I don't love going OT that early (I would rather get a depth OT later) and would HATE Neal at 4 but I can get behind going Icky and us potentially having the best run blocking oline in the league. That will help Zach and could save Douglas' job if Fant or Becton go down again. 

I do see your points.   They are logical.  The reason for my question is for JD to do this, he's admitting failure on his first ever draft pick.  If Becton played to his draft position, there's no way he's consider Ekwonu at #4 to replace Fant next year.  He'd take a developmental OT this year for depth, let Fant play out his deal and either replace him next year or extend him.

This is all about Becton, and JD coming to a decision to take a loss on his first ever draft pick.  If you're involved in the stock market, it's a similar feeling to selling a loser vs. waiting for it to turnaround.  Not easy...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

You're assuming that a tackle we take at #4 isn't just as likely as busting as any other player, or being a downgrade from Fant/Becton.

As others have already stated, I'd rather shoot for a player who can move the needle for the Jets more than a OL would at #4, than use that high pick for depth. Only if they plan on moving Becton this offseason, does it even remotely make sense.

Personally, though, I'd prefer a trade back from #4, and using our #10 to acquire Deebo.

Spoot. You made the assumption as well saying that the tackle is goi g to sit for a year. My point is this I think that the tackles are probably the safest picks in this draft and the o line uncertainty heading into next year I am more apt to go with a safer pick which imo are the tackles and people have crucified JD for the big swing on Becton rather than taking the safer pick in Wirfs.
That being said I do hope they trade down as I really don’t want to have to take a tackle just think it’s the safer pick. Now if before the draft they resign Big George then  no way do I select a tackle until the later rounds or depending on how far they trade down would take Zion as I just don’t think this crop of receivers are all that good except for Williams and he has his injury issue. and I would take JJ @ 10 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Spoot. You made the assumption as well saying that the tackle is goi g to sit for a year. My point is this I think that the tackles are probably the safest picks in this draft and the o line uncertainty heading into next year I am more apt to go with a safer pick which imo are the tackles and people have crucified JD for the big swing on Becton rather than taking the safer pick in Wirfs.
That being said I do hope they trade down as I really don’t want to have to take a tackle just think it’s the safer pick. Now if before the draft they resign Big George then  no way do I select a tackle until the later rounds or depending on how far they trade down would take Zion as I just don’t think this crop of receivers are all that good except for Williams and he has his injury issue. and I would take JJ @ 10 

That seemed to be what you were implying saying that the rookie will gain a year of experience and then step right in to replace Fant or Becton.

But, let's think about it. If they do draft a tackle in the first round, and hold on to all three of Fant, Becton, rookie, who is sitting? It's not Fant, the guy who's being paid ~10 million. Becton -- the guy who's problem has been getting and staying on the field? No. If he's healthy, he's playing, or else what the hell are they doing with him. If both those guys are on the roster and healthy, there's no reason a rookie should be starting over them, and sitting the #4 or #10 pick on the bench all season for no other reason than he's not needed is a serious misuse of resources.

I still expect them to sign at least another veteran tackle before the season starts, and I'd love a late-round OT prospect to develop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

That seemed to be what you were implying saying that the rookie will gain a year of experience and then step right in to replace Fant or Becton.

But, let's think about it. If they do draft a tackle in the first round, and hold on to all three of Fant, Becton, rookie, who is sitting? It's not Fant, the guy who's being paid ~10 million. Becton -- the guy who's problem has been getting and staying on the field? No. If he's healthy, he's playing, or else what the hell are they doing with him. If both those guys are on the roster and healthy, there's no reason a rookie should be starting over them, and sitting the #4 or #10 pick on the bench all season for no other reason than he's not needed is a serious misuse of resources.

I still expect them to sign at least another veteran tackle before the season starts, and I'd love a late-round OT prospect to develop.

Spoot. That’s the issue we don’t know if they are keeping Fant and we all saw how bad the o line was prior to JDs arrival ( don’t want to go back there ) and really don’t think the other players are worthy of a #4 pick 

I would love for the Jets to resign Big George to eliminate the need for picking a tackle with a first round pick but as of now that isn’t the case., and that is my rationale for taking a tackle at #4 and I don’t think is a misuse of resources as it’s looking to next year where we don’t HAVE to look for o line help as we will have the answer already to go Can’t have a hole in the o line to kneecap the growth of the team this year and playoff aspirations in 2023 which I think we will be  a solid contender

If they sign Big George I would trade down from #4 even if we got less value but it must have a 2023 first round pick involved 

I would like to think that they already have a deal in place with Fant with both parties agreeing not to announce it which can you help the Jets with leverage on a team looking to trade up but that is pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

Spoot. That’s the issue we don’t know if they are keeping Fant and we all saw how bad the o line was prior to JDs arrival ( don’t want to go back there ) and really don’t think the other players are worthy of a #4 pick 

I would love for the Jets to resign Big George to eliminate the need for picking a tackle with a first round pick but as of now that isn’t the case., and that is my rationale for taking a tackle at #4 and I don’t think is a misuse of resources as it’s looking to next year where we don’t HAVE to look for o line help as we will have the answer already to go Can’t have a hole in the o line to kneecap the growth of the team this year and playoff aspirations in 2023 which I think we will be  a solid contender

If they sign Big George I would trade down from #4 even if we got less value but it must have a 2023 first round pick involved 

I would like to think that they already have a deal in place with Fant with both parties agreeing not to announce it which can you help the Jets with leverage on a team looking to trade up but that is pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part 

Even if they don't res-sign Fant (which they have plenty of time to do between now and the beginning of next season, and there are other ways to fill that hole without using a high pick in this year's draft) and the plan is to have Becton and Icky/Neal as the tackles of the future, then you're still looking at having 3 1st round draft picks invested in the Oline, which, if what I'm hearing is true, no team in the NFL does. One or two 1st round picks, sure, but any more than that, and I think those resources are better else spent on offensive play makers that score touchdowns, or an edge rusher.

The only way JD taking another OT high makes sense to me is if it's Becton's replacement. In a previous post you mentioned being worried about reaching for a player at #4 who wasn't worth a second contract, but what happens when it comes time to pay all three of Becton, AVT, and Icky/Neal? That's a lot of money invested into the Oline. I'd imagine JD can field a sufficient enough line without sinking 3 1st rounders into it.

Either way, it doesn't much matter what I think, and very soon we'll know what JD thinks on the matter and will no longer have to debate what we think he should do. The draft can't come soon enough, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Even if they don't res-sign Fant (which they have plenty of time to do between now and the beginning of next season, and there are other ways to fill that hole without using a high pick in this year's draft) and the plan is to have Becton and Icky/Neal as the tackles of the future, then you're still looking at having 3 1st round draft picks invested in the Oline, which, if what I'm hearing is true, no team in the NFL does. One or two 1st round picks, sure, but any more than that, and I think those resources are better else spent on offensive play makers that score touchdowns, or an edge rusher.

The only way JD taking another OT high makes sense to me is if it's Becton's replacement. In a previous post you mentioned being worried about reaching for a player at #4 who wasn't worth a second contract, but what happens when it comes time to pay all three of Becton, AVT, and Icky/Neal? That's a lot of money invested into the Oline. I'd imagine JD can field a sufficient enough line without sinking 3 1st rounders into it.

Either way, it doesn't much matter what I think, and very soon we'll know what JD thinks on the matter and will no longer have to debate what we think he should do. The draft can't come soon enough, lol.

Spoot you’re 100% correct about the future cost of the o line which admittedly will be an issue down the road, but let’s not forget that the last time the Jets had a truly dominant o line they had 4 # 1 draft choices on said line in Brick, Faneca, Mangold & Woody. 
Will be an interesting draft to say the least 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Spoot you’re 100% correct about the future cost of the o line which admittedly will be an issue down the road, but let’s not forget that the last time the Jets had a truly dominant o line they had 4 # 1 draft choices on said line in Brick, Faneca, Mangold & Woody. 
Will be an interesting draft to say the least 

Faneca and Woody weren't drafted by this organization, but were acquired via free agency, and were picked 26th and 17th, respectively.

Mangold was selected 29th, himself. Only Brick was in the top 10.

Quite different than adding the 4th overall pick to a line already consisting of the 11th and 14th picks drafted by this organization in the last two years, and kinda helps prove my point.

I do, though, understand the appeal of having a dominant line again, but while it helped get us to back-to-back AFCC games, it wasn't enough alone to get us over the edge. I'm starting to believe that having a top-5 or top-10 OL just isn't necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

The Giants currently don’t have enough cap space to sign their draft picks if they stay in both 5 and 7. What if the jets trade next years 1 and #35 to move to 7 and get 3 blue chip players at 4,7 and 10.?

No.  I want MORE 2023 picks, not less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Faneca and Woody weren't drafted by this organization, but were acquired via free agency, and were picked 26th and 17th, respectively.

Mangold was selected 29th, himself. Only Brick was in the top 10.

Quite different than adding the 4th overall pick to a line already consisting of the 11th and 14th picks drafted by this organization in the last two years, and kinda helps prove my point.

I do, though, understand the appeal of having a dominant line again, but while it helped get us to back-to-back AFCC games, it wasn't enough alone to get us over the edge. I'm starting to believe that having a top-5 or top-10 OL just isn't necessary.

Disagree about proving point. First round pick is a first round pick and regardless of if Faneca and Woody were drafted by other teams they still were 1st round picks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

Disagree about proving point. First round pick is a first round pick and regardless of if Faneca and Woody were drafted by other teams they still were 1st round picks 

It doesn't matter, because the point isn't just about them being a high pick, it's about the allocation of limited resources.

The New York Jets didn't need to invest a single draft pick to acquire Faneca and Woody. Doesn't matter where they were drafted, what matters is what they costed, which was only a contract.

There's a big difference there. Laken Tomlinson is a former 1st round pick, but we didn't have to give up anything except for money. There's your Alan Faneca.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It doesn't matter, because the point isn't just about them being a high pick, it's about the allocation of limited resources.

The New York Jets didn't need to invest a single draft pick to acquire Faneca and Woody. Doesn't matter where they were drafted, what matters is what they costed, which was only a contract.

There's a big difference there. Laken Tomlinson is a former 1st round pick, but we didn't have to give up anything except for money. There's your Alan Faneca.

 

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Even if they don't res-sign Fant (which they have plenty of time to do between now and the beginning of next season, and there are other ways to fill that hole without using a high pick in this year's draft) and the plan is to have Becton and Icky/Neal as the tackles of the future, then you're still looking at having 3 1st round draft picks invested in the Oline, which, if what I'm hearing is true, no team in the NFL does. One or two 1st round picks, sure, but any more than that, and I think those resources are better else spent on offensive play makers that score touchdowns, or an edge rusher.

The only way JD taking another OT high makes sense to me is if it's Becton's replacement. In a previous post you mentioned being worried about reaching for a player at #4 who wasn't worth a second contract, but what happens when it comes time to pay all three of Becton, AVT, and Icky/Neal? That's a lot of money invested into the Oline. I'd imagine JD can field a sufficient enough line without sinking 3 1st rounders into it.

Either way, it doesn't much matter what I think, and very soon we'll know what JD thinks on the matter and will no longer have to debate what we think he should do. The draft can't come soon enough, lol.

Spoot. It would be a poor Allocation of resources if you reach for a player you have rated lower on the board than your highly rated tackle as I stated earlier. To me there is not much difference in the talent level of the projected first round WRs in this draft and second round WRs who can score TDS and the Jets can get an defensive end  with #10 (none of these edges are all that exciting to me either)  As you stated Jets went to back to back AFC championship games behind a dominant o line and excellent defense with a rookie then subsequently second year QB who was average at best. Alot of offensive similarities between the two teams just need the defense to get to league average and team will be ultra competitive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

 

Spoot. It would be a poor Allocation of resources if you reach for a player you have rated lower on the board than your highly rated tackle as I stated earlier. To me there is not much difference in the talent level of the projected first round WRs in this draft and second round WRs who can score TDS and the Jets can get an defensive end  with #10 (none of these edges are all that exciting to me either)  As you stated Jets went to back to back AFC championship games behind a dominant o line and excellent defense with a rookie then subsequently second year QB who was average at best. Alot of offensive similarities between the two teams just need the defense to get to league average and team will be ultra competitive 

I feel like we're going in circles here, lol. If you think picking literally any other player at #4 is a reach? Fine. I don't watch or analyze college ball/players, so I can't speak to that. I just don't think adding another top 10 OT when there's currently no need is a better choice than swinging for the fences, and trusting your scouts and evaluations to pick who you think is best at #4. Doesn't matter if you're reaching if the player turns out to be good.

Let's just hope they can pull off a nice trade back, or whoever they do pick turns out really good. We can revisit Thursday night, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Let's just hope they can pull off a nice trade back, or whoever they do pick turns out really good. We can revisit Thursday night, lol.

This 100%👍😊

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love for the Jets to have 4 first round picks. Trade 4 to New Orleans for 16 and 19. Trade pick 10 to kc for 29 and 30. Keep our two number 2’s and that is a lot of help for our team


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I was thinking about the same thing but we could trade with Green Bay or KC


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoot. That’s the issue we don’t know if they are keeping Fant and we all saw how bad the o line was prior to JDs arrival ( don’t want to go back there ) and really don’t think the other players are worthy of a #4 pick 
I would love for the Jets to resign Big George to eliminate the need for picking a tackle with a first round pick but as of now that isn’t the case., and that is my rationale for taking a tackle at #4 and I don’t think is a misuse of resources as it’s looking to next year where we don’t HAVE to look for o line help as we will have the answer already to go Can’t have a hole in the o line to kneecap the growth of the team this year and playoff aspirations in 2023 which I think we will be  a solid contender
If they sign Big George I would trade down from #4 even if we got less value but it must have a 2023 first round pick involved 
I would like to think that they already have a deal in place with Fant with both parties agreeing not to announce it which can you help the Jets with leverage on a team looking to trade up but that is pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part 

Excuse me but who is big George?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...