Jump to content

Well this is disturbing if you want Pickens


Dcat
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It is surprising to me that a 20 year old has a lot of growing up to do.  Shocking, actually.  So very unheard of, not sure what to make of it.

Not all 20 year olds have the same maturity, and the lack of maturity for some is VERY destructive.   Henry Ruggs III, for example.   Aaron Hernandez.

Others are very mature; they realize success in life is not just about the freak of nature physical gifts they have, but how hard they work, how they carry themselves, how they treat others.

The difference between those two mindsets is as important to success in sports as the difference between a 4.40 forty and a 4.90.  If you can't prioritize the work, bond with your teammates, and conduct yourself as a solid citizens, it dramatically reduces your chance of success, and also makes you a threat to the good name of your team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rbstern said:

Not all 20 year olds have the same maturity, and the lack of maturity for some is VERY destructive.   Henry Ruggs III, for example.   Aaron Hernandez.

Others are very mature; they realize success in life is not just about the freak of nature physical gifts they have, but how hard they work, how they carry themselves, how they treat others.

The difference between those two mindsets is as important to success in sports as the difference between a 4.40 forty and a 4.90.  If you can't prioritize the work, bond with your teammates, and conduct yourself as a solid citizens, it dramatically reduces your chance of success, and also makes you a threat to the good name of your team.

For this, thank you!

What are the "red flags" and "maturity" issues w/ George Perkins?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

For this, thank you!

What are the "red flags" and "maturity" issues w/ George Perkins?  

Has just a few that were on-field issues:

2019: Suspended during the 1st half of the Georgia Tech game for violating team rules.  Eventually ejected from game.

2019: Suspended for the 1st half of the LSU game, for fighting with a defender in the Georgia Tech game.

"Unfortunately, [Pickens] got an undisciplined penalty and when you make undisciplined decisions, regardless of what's done first, you pay a penalty for that," Smart said. "He won't be able to play the first half of next week and when you make emotional decisions, that's what happens. We're going to help George. We're going to help him grow up. We're going to help him make better decisions so he can help our team, but that's unfortunate."

Smart called Pickens' actions both "selfish" and "undisciplined."

"I mean, don't be stupid," Smart said. "It's just silly, it's selfish, it's undisciplined. It's, 'Why?' You ask yourself why. Why would I give up an opportunity over what we have next week? Over what? I always ask guys, 'Was it worth it?' That's what I always say. 'Was it worth it?' It's not worth it to me when you hurt the team.

"But you live and you grow up and you love them. And look, I love George Pickens. He went to the hospital with us on Friday and did an unbelievable job. He had as much charisma and as much care for those kids as anybody we had there. George is a great kid. He's a freshman."

2020: Flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for squirting water on the Tennessee QB when he ran out-of-bounds on the Georgia sideline

Georgia wideout George Pickens squirted water at Tennessee quarterback Jarrett Guarantano after the Vol signal-caller ran and fell out of bounds on the Bulldog sideline Saturday.

Pickens received a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and Tennessee later took a 21-17 lead on that drive off a 27-yard touchdown pass.

After the game, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart expressed his displeasure with Pickens' actions.

"When somebody comes out of bounds and you squirt water at them, what are we? Are we seven and eight years old?" Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart said, per ESPN's Harry Lyles Jr.

"I mean come on, let's play football. Let's don't be silly."

----

"George is a talented player. In terms of leadership, it starts from within; it starts with him. He's got to do a great job of making sure he's handling all the things that he's got to do both on and off the field,” Smart said. “George is growing up, as all players do, and we need him to grow up faster. We need him to lead more. He's certainly a talented player, but sometimes that can be a disease at Georgia that affects you. You have to be careful of that, because what makes George great: his love for the game. And you just cannot let that be a weakness; you've got to use it as a strength."

----

“It’s just one of continued growth and maturity, and he has embraced it,” Hankton said of Pickens’ mental development. “When you look at our entire team and you talk about altruism, I think there’s this aura of selflessness and a positive vibe. It has really continued to grow; it really shines brighter. For (Pickens), he’s embraced that, so I’m looking forward to how he continues to move forward.”

----

There are also Georgia fans that called him out his freshman year for only playing hard when it was a pass play and putting little to no effort when it was a run play or the ball was not coming his way.

There may be other issues that are not known to the public, but you can see that he has been growing up and maturing.  It is really up to the NFL team that drafts him to have the environment for him to thrive.  He has the talent of a 1st rounder, but the 'red flags' and injury has pushed him down to borderline 1st or early 2nd round.  Wouldn't say these concerns remove him from the draft board, but the coaching staff needs to be up to the challenge to help him continue to grow and mature.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rbstern said:

AJ Green.  Mecole Hardiman.  Isaiah McKenzie.  Chris Conley.  And Hines Ward waving from the sidelines.

I like McGinn’s write ups. He always gets dumbass comments from scouts

It explains why if you hit on 50% of your picks you’re doing well.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

So, like, there arent any actual red flags?  

Not too long ago a player who ran to the middle of the field and planted a flag on the opposing teams logo, was filmed grabbing his junk and yelling at the other team from the sideline, has footage of him running down the sideline giving his opponent the throat slice was taken 1st overall.  Oh and hey guess what, that player is also on film wasted, trying to run from the police.  But he had moxy and swagger!!!!!!

The draft is legit, dumb.  Like really dumb.

 

 

Agreed.  The 'red flags' are over blown when it comes down to the draft as everyone gets nit-picky about every prospect.  Its possible that there are other 'red flags' that are just not available to the public but these issues seem to just be minor concerns.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Good football teams arent made with all choir boys..

we been drafting team captains for years. And cant win anything.

Sounds like Denzel Mims, not a student of the game, he is someone that has relied on his natural ability his entire life. Problem is, at this level there are more people at your athletic ability than not.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Agreed.  The 'red flags' are over blown when it comes down to the draft as everyone gets nit-picky about every prospect.  Its possible that there are other 'red flags' that are just not available to the public but these issues seem to just be minor concerns.

These things are going to be more amplified with Douglas and the Jets since he’s got Becton and Mims on his resume. Also this Ben Simmons drama is certainly making teams extra careful about guys who may game the system once they get paid. It’s the one trade off of making obscene money as a 22 year old…teams are going to over analyze coachability and reliability. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jet fans before the draft -- "SMOKESCREEN!! BLATANT LIES!! THIS GUY'S GONNA BE AWESOME!!!"

Jet fans after we draft said player -- "JET GM'S SUCK!! WE KNEW THIS GUY WOULD BE AWFUL!!! DON'T THESE GUYS READ SCOUTING REPORTS THE DAYS LEADING UP TO THE DRAFT?!?!?!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rbstern said:

AJ Green.  Mecole Hardiman.  Isaiah McKenzie.  Chris Conley.  And Hines Ward waving from the sidelines.

Green was great but Harman, McKenzie and Conley are all not impressive at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

So, like, there arent any actual red flags?  

Not too long ago a player who ran to the middle of the field and planted a flag on the opposing teams logo, was filmed grabbing his junk and yelling at the other team from the sideline, has footage of him running down the sideline giving his opponent the throat slice was taken 1st overall.  Oh and hey guess what, that player is also on film wasted, trying to run from the police.  But he had moxy and swagger!!!!!!

This is true - although there are some small indicators that the team who made that particular pick might now be regretting it.

Small indicators such as handing over 3 first round picks and $230M guaranteed to replace him with a pervert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Claymation said:

Sounds like Denzel Mims, not a student of the game, he is someone that has relied on his natural ability his entire life. Problem is, at this level there are more people at your athletic ability than not.

Literally every player has scouting report you could compare with a bad player. It means nothing no 2 players are the same. There not even the same style of player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah if there's any substance to this then we're not touching him at all. Anywhere.

Pretty obvious that between last years draft, the reports of KT not being considered, the players we targeted in Free Agency that the high character, coachability aspect is a priority. 

The 2020 draft has spooked Douglas. Clearly. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Literally every player has scouting report you could compare with a bad player. It means nothing no 2 players are the same. There not even the same style of player.

I was referring to Mims' and Picken's mental makeup. They don't have the drive to be great. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Stark said:

love these vague "reasons" ... its 

MISINFORMATION SEASON... 

 

21 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Good football teams arent made with all choir boys..

we been drafting team captains for years. And cant win anything.


Surprising takes after Jachai Polite and Denzel Mims worked out so well, and with a thread mocking Kadarius Toney still fresh on the board…

Jets don’t have a culture in place yet to work with PITAs.  (pains in the a$$)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, rbstern said:

Not all 20 year olds have the same maturity, and the lack of maturity for some is VERY destructive.   Henry Ruggs III, for example.   Aaron Hernandez.

Others are very mature; they realize success in life is not just about the freak of nature physical gifts they have, but how hard they work, how they carry themselves, how they treat others.

The difference between those two mindsets is as important to success in sports as the difference between a 4.40 forty and a 4.90.  If you can't prioritize the work, bond with your teammates, and conduct yourself as a solid citizens, it dramatically reduces your chance of success, and also makes you a threat to the good name of your team.

Good post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

 


Surprising takes after Jachai Polite and Denzel Mims worked out so well, and with a thread mocking Kadarius Toney still fresh on the board…

Jets don’t have a culture in place yet to work with PITAs.  (pains in the a$$)

love all his ability on the field, top 5 but.... So many red flags, wouldn't touch him.

when you say stuff like this and you give a generic answer like that you contradict the first part of your "glowing" review... now if whoever this scout/scouts were had any balls on him he would have said what the FLAGS were but they don't they hide behind a vague negatively contextual "red flags" comment.. just say what they are if they're so bad. 

Pickens got in a fight and ejected from a game yes (freshman year), there are some concerns about this just as there were about Elijah Moore's end of game TD celebration that cost his team the game. 

whenever you get these type of comments its usually commentary to lower a players stock to "fall" to a team that isn't in draft position relative to the players expected pick range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I was referring to Mims' and Picken's mental makeup. They don't have the drive to be great. 

Mims drive was fine until he got sick last year. Your assumption of Picken’s mental makeup is based on article with no real evidence as to who he is.  Everyone isnt the same.  But you can continue to pretend to be a therapist if you would like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

 


Surprising takes after Jachai Polite and Denzel Mims worked out so well, and with a thread mocking Kadarius Toney still fresh on the board…

Jets don’t have a culture in place yet to work with PITAs.  (pains in the a$$)

So every who has issue is Polite and Mims correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol, some of you guys should be beat reporters with your overly dramatic thread titles.  

A twenty year old athlete has some maturing to do and you think it’s “disturbing?” Christ on a cracker you’d think they found a big collection of left feet in his freezer. 


 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, the Claw said:

lol, some of you guys should be beat reporters with your overly dramatic thread titles.  

A twenty year old athlete has some maturing to do and you think it’s “disturbing?” Christ on a cracker you’d think they found a big collection of left feet in his freezer. 

You're no fun at all. 

fun-sucker-party-pooper.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Pickens also has tiny hands

Like 8.75

But smart tape gurus like Cosell love him, even think he’s a better prospect on film than London

Tiny hands or not, the guy can catch the football.  I have no way to know about any maturity issues he may or may not have but he definitely seems to have the talent.  And it sounded like the HC said he's a good kid at heart.  That's an encouraging sign that any maturity issues might be "solveable".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JiFapono said:

It is surprising to me that a 20 year old has a lot of growing up to do.  Shocking, actually.  So very unheard of, not sure what to make of it.

Gettleman said the same thing after he drafted Kadarius Toney. Not every WR enters the draft with maturity concerns. That doesn't mean you leave him off your draft board, but if you are debating between 2 equally rated players it would seem like a good idea to to avoid the headcase. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, the Claw said:

lol, some of you guys should be beat reporters with your overly dramatic thread titles.  

A twenty year old athlete has some maturing to do and you think it’s “disturbing?” Christ on a cracker you’d think they found a big collection of left feet in his freezer. 


 

 

 

Not all 20 year old athletes have the same maturity issues. If JD drafts him and these maturity issues prevent him from succeeding are you going to give JD a pass, or will you, rightfully so, question JD's judgment for drafting a player with these red flags. 

As I just noted, it's a factor for every GM to consider. Just like the 40 time and on field production. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mrcoops said:

This is true - although there are some small indicators that the team who made that particular pick might now be regretting it.

Small indicators such as handing over 3 first round picks and $230M guaranteed to replace him with a pervert.

Is that an indicator?  I think it's just further proves my point, teams care about 1 thing and 1 thing only - can you ball.  If the answer is yes, they overlook everything else.  Except for some reason with the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Gettleman said the same thing after he drafted Kadarius Toney. Not every WR enters the draft with maturity concerns. That doesn't mean you leave him off your draft board, but if you are debating between 2 equally rated players it would seem like a good idea to to avoid the headcase. 

Sure, 100% you factor that in and I'm not questioning that logic or necessarily questioning putting red flags on a player, if it's appropriate.  I dont see how it's appropriate with Pickens.  In general, I hate this tear down process predaft.  It's become very obnoxious.  Again, the example I used is just perplexing.  Baker Mayfield is a verified sh*t head.  A punk and not actually good at Football.  He was an a$$hole on and off the field.  There is video of him trying to run from the police after being detained for being a drunk a$$hole screaming "do you know who I am?".  He went 1st overall and a lot of it had to do with his tough guy moxy and a fiery competitor. 

And here we are reading "red flags" about Pickens because wait for it....apparently, he's a fiery competitor who lost his cool a few times.  lol

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...