Most Want JD to Succeed, Others Clearly Don't

McNeil

The latter rise in the morning & go to bed at night wanting him to fail. Whether they admit it or not. They've taken a set against him. Seemingly since day 1.

It's understandable to a degree. In part they're reacting to JD's. There I agree - let's judge JD by his W-L record. But that's where my agreement with them ends.

2019 for all intents and purposes doesn't count. When you come in as GM in June, there's virtually nothing you can do to improve your roster until the upcoming off season. So JD's clock started after the 2019 season. Undoubtedly the results have been highly questionable. The 2020 draft has been awful.

But Rome wasn't built in a day. In 2001 questions swirled around Belichick - before Mo Lewis & a 6th-rounder named Brady helped him out. It took the great Les Snead years - and the arguably greater Sean McVay - to develop the Rams in to the perennial power they've become. The Bills struggled Josh Allen's first several years until he, Beane and McDermott got it turned around.

Building a lasting NFL contender can some time. Trial & error is part of it. And drafting for sure isn't an exact science.

It's Year 2 under the JD-Saleh regime. Certainly the Jets must show marked improvement this year no matter what. Most Jets fans hope they do with JD leading the charge. Whereas some clearly want JD - and thus the Jets - to fail.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 10
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

latest?cb=20140518041425

Not-so-stealth "You're not as good and loyal a fan as I am" posts like this just aren't worthy of serious reply anymore.

No one needs to justify themselves or their Jets fandom to you, nor temper their opinions or criticism to placate you.

Neil Degrasse Tyson Hello GIF

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, McNeil said:

But Rome wasn't built in a day. In 2001 questions swirled around Belichick - before Mo Lewis & a 6th-rounder named Brady helped him out. It took the great Les Snead years - and the arguably greater Sean McVay - to develop the Rams in to the perennial power they've become. The Bills struggled Josh Allen's first several years until he, Beane and McDermott got it turned around.

Building a lasting NFL contender can some time. Trial & error is part of it. And drafting for sure isn't an exact science.

It's Year 2 under the JD-Saleh regime. Certainly the Jets must show marked improvement this year no matter what. Most Jets fans hope they do with JD leading the charge. Whereas some clearly want JD - and thus the Jets - to fail.

Talking about building a culture when Romulus founded Rome he populated it by giving fugitives and exiles asylum.   At the time it was seen as a way to build the town with high Charachter guys who would change the culture.  40 times were discounted in favor of high motor guys who excelled in murder and mahem.   Needing women to help populate Rome neighboring women where invited to festivals to party and make merry with the men.   After abducting them they coined the phrase. "Happy wife, happy life"..  

McVay was 11 and 5 in his first year coaching the Rams.   Les Snead drafted a decent not great QB 1 overall and McVay still took them to the SB.    The move to trade for Stafford had McVay's fingerprints all over it.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

EVERYONE wants Douglas to succeed.  Being critical of some moves a guy makes is not hoping they fail.

This sounds like the old bs you hear on sports forums that you are not a fan of the team if you are not slurping every move.

Everyone? I don't think everyone wants him to succeed. Vast majority, sure I can buy that, but everyone, nope.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

EVERYONE wants Douglas to succeed.  Being critical of some moves a guy makes is not hoping they fail.

This sounds like the old bs you hear on sports forums that you are not a fan of the team if you are not slurping every move.

This. 

I want JD to succeed, but thus far, he has failed. Nothing "doesnt count", it all matters. 

His arrival year, all his short term moves failed. 

His first FA, all his moves failed spectacularly.

His first draft, all his moves failed spectacularly. 

His second FA, all his moves failed spectacularly. 

His second draft, seems great, but TBD. 

His third FA, TBD

His third draft, TBD 

I dont want him to fail this much, but he has. I hope he starts replicating the success of his 2021 draft. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Everyone? I don't think everyone wants him to succeed. Vast majority, sure I can buy that, but everyone, nope.

My biggest knock on Douglas is Woody hired him.  If that doesn't make every Jets fan pause they probably were born yesterday.

• Haha 2

Fact is, this is the largest JETS forum in the world. There are bound to be differing opinions. Best way to shut them up is to win, something JD has not done yet. I have 100% faith in JD and Saleh at this point and am sad we gave Mac 5 drafts but are ready to fire this guy after two. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

Love(d) everything about Gardner from his productivity, to his measurables, to his high level character on and off the field. I, along with many debated if we take Gardner at 4 what becomes of Bryce Hall especially after addressing CB need in FA? Then I listened to this pod of a recent  former GM speak of how Gardner almost specifically player man to man at Cinn. Almost none in zone and other. Would you be willing to use the #4 pick on a player that you are unsure can play parts of what could be asked of him? Worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/jgqSb87tm8Q

Hughes has been adamant that the Jets internally see Hall as nothing more than a #3 type guy long term. 

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Hughes has been adamant that the Jets internally see Hall as nothing more than a #3 type guy long term. 

Yeah, apparently in a few podcasts from Jets Xfactor (Cool Your Jets specifically), they mentioned teams had said after games that they targeted Hall because they were not scared of him at all. 

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

This. 

I want JD to succeed, but thus far, he has failed. Nothing "doesnt count", it all matters. 

His arrival year, all his short term moves failed. 

His first FA, all his moves failed spectacularly.

His first draft, all his moves failed spectacularly. 

His second FA, all his moves failed spectacularly. 

His second draft, seems great, but TBD. 

His third FA, TBD

His third draft, TBD 

I dont want him to fail this much, but he has. I hope he starts replicating the success of his 2021 draft. 

This is incorrect.  He has purged the cap.  He has traded assetts for draft capital.  He has made the decision to not take the option on Sam and trade him.  He drafted a new Franchise QB with the No. 2 pick in last years draft.  He has unloaded Gase and hired Saleh.  

Last year Saleh and Zach looked terribly over matched.  That doesn't mean they both can't take a huge leap this year.  Last years draft class while not very productive showed some flashes that there might be 2 to 4 big time players including the QB.  

Third draft tons of draft capital aquired through trade.  Great draft position by not trying to win last year and give potential rookies more playing time. 

He has not failed thus far.  He hasn't gotten returns on his investment.  Investments need to be judged over time.  To date there hasn't been enough time.  I don't see the need to panick and fire Douglas at this point.   No doubt the development of Zach the coaching staff and this years draft needs to start paying a dividend soon.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

There are definitely some people who revel in misery which isn't hard to do as a Jets fan. Most people here I think want him to succeed but with varying degrees of frustration about how little progress appears in the record and varying degrees of reasonableness about what could have been done without the benefit of hindsight. Rebuilding a team that has been trash for a decade requires getting a lot of decisions right and Douglas is only human. I'm just along for the ride and trying to remain optimistic that Douglas has a reasonable plan and makes more good decisions than bad. 

I agree that this offseason needs to be a big step forward for the team. Douglas is saddled with very little from the prior regime with his coach, his QB and this will be his second offseason to shape the roster. The excuses for another lousy season are running out. 

• Upvote 1

We all want Douglas to succeed.  At least those of us who are really fans of the team.

It should be the same for Saleh, Zach, Becton, Mims, Quinnen, Mosley, etc.  You don't have to like them, you can think they are overpaid, not the right guy for the job, drafted too early, etc. but you should absolutely want them to succeed.... each and every one of them.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are 15 months into a ground up rebuild.  Patience my friends.  Joe D is the one we have been waiting for.

Joe D has been here much longer than that.

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

We are 35 months into a ground up rebuild.

I fixed this for you. 

35 months includes 15+ months of rebuilding but about 20 months of tearing down and trading that preceded it.