Most Want JD to Succeed, Others Clearly Don't

McNeil

Initially, I liked the JD hire and was optimistic that things would improve steadily. That is, until the 2020 draft which was a disaster on so many levels. I said so the day after it concluded. There has never been an explanation from JD as to what the thought process was on making so many ghastly picks. Morgan, Davis, Zuniga, Perine, Becton etc. That is where he lost my faith.  Many on this board could have done a better job. He did better last year but must exceed that by far this year. I do believe he lacks the job security that many believe he has because of the contract length, which he is more than halfway through.

Woody is not getting any younger. There needs to be a substantial number of wins in the division this year and at least 4 impact starters from this draft.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

EVERYONE wants Douglas to succeed.  Being critical of some moves a guy makes is not hoping they fail.
This sounds like the old bs you hear on sports forums that you are not a fan of the team if you are not slurping every move.
Agree .. but guys that regularly trash the guy for every move he makes and take every chance they can to call for his head overlooking any of the positives ... lead to posts like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm a big JD and Saleh fan, for now. But, there has to be a paradigm shift at some point, a Bengals-esque total franchise trajectory change. They can't just limp along the next few years. I think you have to give them through 2024. However can't be an extra win each season build. They have to look competent and kick butt. Has to feel totally changed and inspiring at some point.

More on point with this thread: I don't think Jets fans want him to fail (There are always trolls on sites like this though)  But none of us want to end up in no-man's-land either. 

10 hours ago, McNeil said:

The latter rise in the morning & go to bed at night wanting him to fail. Whether they admit it or not. They've taken a set against him. Seemingly since day 1.

It's understandable to a degree. In part they're reacting to JD's. There I agree - let's judge JD by his W-L record. But that's where my agreement with them ends.

2019 for all intents and purposes doesn't count. When you come in as GM in June, there's virtually nothing you can do to improve your roster until the upcoming off season. So JD's clock started after the 2019 season. Undoubtedly the results have been highly questionable. The 2020 draft has been awful.

But Rome wasn't built in a day. In 2001 questions swirled around Belichick - before Mo Lewis & a 6th-rounder named Brady helped him out. It took the great Les Snead years - and the arguably greater Sean McVay - to develop the Rams in to the perennial power they've become. The Bills struggled Josh Allen's first several years until he, Beane and McDermott got it turned around.

Building a lasting NFL contender can some time. Trial & error is part of it. And drafting for sure isn't an exact science.

It's Year 2 under the JD-Saleh regime. Certainly the Jets must show marked improvement this year no matter what. Most Jets fans hope they do with JD leading the charge. Whereas some clearly want JD - and thus the Jets - to fail.

Ocean Clicking GIF

• Haha 1

I was fairly excited when Douglas was hired. He was well regarded around the league and came from winning organizations. But let's look aat the record:

2019 - a lot of you want to give him a pass because he signed after the draft, but no one forced him to take the job. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/nyj/season/2019

The Khalil signing was a disaster, the kicker signings were bad, he trades Leo (who wasn't great, but was a good player) and, as of now, has replaced him with Sheldon Rankins (is that an improvement?), and extended Ryan Griffin, who sucks. 

2020 - generally regarded as a pretty bad draft by most people on this board. 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/how-did-new-york-jets-free-agent-signings-perform-2020/

Perriman - gone after one year.

Robby Anderson - let him walk over money only to spend more money the following off season on Corey Davis, who is arguably the same caliber of player as Anderson

Greg Van Roten - Average at best over 2 seasons, now gone

Patrick O - hurt the whole season, then gone

Flacco - decent for a backup

Fant - above average signing who is good in pass protection but still struggles in the run game

Connor McGovern - good signing

Gore - ...

Jordan Jenkins - ...

Poole - gone

2021 draft - I'm not addressing the Wilson pick anymore, AVT looks like a stud, Moore and Carter had some good games, but they are both small players who are already missing games due to injury, the secondary picks look like solid depth guys, but they aren't exactly the legion of boom

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/new-york-jets-notable-free-agent-signings-2021-corey-davis-morgan-moses-tevin-coleman/

Davis - missed a bunch of games and had 34 catches

Rankins - 3 sacks (Leo had twice as many)

Cole - 28 catches

Moses - was a adecent depth signing since Becton got hurt, but now the former is gone

Coleman - 356 yards

Hardee - I can't remember a single thing he did last year

Davis - 25 tackles, now gone

Kroft - 15 catches, now gone

Feeney - great mullet, not much else

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/which-jets-had-the-best-pff-grades-in-2021

After 2 (or 3) years under Douglas, the Jets have a grand total of 1 player with a PFF grade of at least 80 (and that was Franklin Meyers who eeked out an 80). 

I'd like to see the Jets and Douglas succeed, but the aforementioned facts do not warrant unconditional optimism from me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

"If you disagree or question at all... you hate the Jets"

I think at this point most of us hate the Jets. That doesn't mean we don't want them to succeed. We don't want to hate them anymore. We're sick of it.

• Upvote 1

As with most things in life, the answer probably lives somewhere in the middle:

Jd is not as horrible as most of his critics say and he is not the savior like most of his fans say.

There is a lot to be hopeful for about JD, but c’mon man there are plenty of reasons for guys to doubt him. Their concerns are not unfounded. You have yours, let others have theirs. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Agree .. but guys that regularly trash the guy for every move he makes and take every chance they can to call for his head overlooking any of the positives ... lead to posts like this.

I admit that as a long time die hard Jets fan I have rooted for management to fail quickly.  The one constant over decades is the Jets haven't moved on from sunk cost soon enough.  The narative that ownership hasn't given players/coaches/GM's enough time to really succeed has to be judged by the other side of the coin.   Has ownership over rated management and players and hung on to sunk cost longer than results and reality dictated?

As a fan watching your team not only field bad teams but in many casses teams that lack heart and even worse are boring to watch week after week after looking forward to sitting down on Sunday and watching your team week after week, year after year has definetely made me root against the teams HC, GM, Players and in some casses root for higher draft picks over wins.  There's a point where you realize that failure might be a more pragmatic way to get a better team than hope.  As hope gets sucked out of you, you can either turn it off or be more pragmatic.  The ship is sinking, hypertherma has started and maybe we should get this over quickly? 

I'm no where near that with Douglas.  I'm very concerned about Saleh although I think he's a great guy and would love to see him make a huge leap.   If both Zach and Saleh fail, I can't see Douglas surviving that.  I'm still on the hope side of this thing.  I'm not sure how many more weeks of watching paint dry for 3 hours on Sunday will keep me in the hope camp.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I do believe he lacks the job security that many believe he has because of the contract length, which he is more than halfway through.

No, he’s less than halfway through. He’s finishing up his second offseason this weekend. And I’m definitely one of those guys who thinks he has that job security, with the contract he signed being a major factor. They signed that with the understanding that Douglas was going to do this the slow & steady way. It was explained up front that it was going to take time. I also do not believe that they have any interest in firing a second head coach after only two years, nor do I think they’ll try the “fire one, keep the other,” approach that worked so wonderfully for guys like Idzik and Gase. I think they’re both all but assured of being here together for a third year, barring a complete collapse. A six win season probably puts them on the hot seat for 2023, but doesn’t get anyone fired, imho. 

• Upvote 1

There are absolutely no guarantees in any draft.  JD has  created more opportunities for us to hopefully hit on some prospects with a surplus of picks.  Measure him more on what we have passed up that have turned out to be great players as opposed to what hasn't worked.

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:55 AM, McNeil said:

The latter rise in the morning & go to bed at night wanting him to fail. Whether they admit it or not. They've taken a set against him. Seemingly since day 1.

It's understandable to a degree. In part they're reacting to JD's. There I agree - let's judge JD by his W-L record. But that's where my agreement with them ends.

2019 for all intents and purposes doesn't count. When you come in as GM in June, there's virtually nothing you can do to improve your roster until the upcoming off season. So JD's clock started after the 2019 season. Undoubtedly the results have been highly questionable. The 2020 draft has been awful.

But Rome wasn't built in a day. In 2001 questions swirled around Belichick - before Mo Lewis & a 6th-rounder named Brady helped him out. It took the great Les Snead years - and the arguably greater Sean McVay - to develop the Rams in to the perennial power they've become. The Bills struggled Josh Allen's first several years until he, Beane and McDermott got it turned around.

Building a lasting NFL contender can some time. Trial & error is part of it. And drafting for sure isn't an exact science.

It's Year 2 under the JD-Saleh regime. Certainly the Jets must show marked improvement this year no matter what. Most Jets fans hope they do with JD leading the charge. Whereas some clearly want JD - and thus the Jets - to fail.

comic con glee GIF

10 hours ago, slats said:

No, he’s less than halfway through. He’s finishing up his second offseason this weekend.  

That's debatable. I'm of the opinion that the contract runs from the June 2019 date of hire thru the end of the 2024 season...that's 6 seasons which would place him past the 50 percent duration. The 2019 season is still on him. 

4 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

That's debatable. I'm of the opinion that the contract runs from the June 2019 date of hire thru the end of the 2024 season...that's 6 seasons which would place him past the 50 percent duration. The 2019 season is still on him. 

Count the months from that date to today. Let me know if it’s 36 or over. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Count the months from that date to today. Let me know if it’s 36 or over. Thanks. 

You're assuming it's a month based contract instead of a season based contract.

He's in his 4th season.

That said, I like our first 2 picks and credit is due, although they were no brainers.

The rest of the draft is where JD needs to exceed expectations.

No reach picks, no Ashtyn Davis or Zuniga types..

• Haha 1

You're assuming it's a month based contract instead of a season based contract.
He's in his 4th season.
That said, I like our first 2 picks and credit is due, although they were no brainers.
The rest of the draft is where JD needs to exceed expectations.
No reach picks, no Ashtyn Davis or Zuniga types..

How do you like him now??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk