A different type of thread related to rumors….how does the game work with orgs leaking information to media?

So I’m legitimately interested about this.  I always have been.  I also won’t pretend to know the answer.  Not sure if anyone here would know the answer.

All that said, I found this tweet below particularly interesting.

I’ll give credit to Hughes where due.  He’s been on point for a lot this off-season.  Which makes me very curious what is the real driving force behind such a specific tweet.  1). Hughes could be projecting based off whatever info he has to date, without knowing exactly that.  2) That information is legit and from the org and they gave the go ahead to run with it.  3) It’s misinformation from the org they’ve asked him to run with in exchange for future nuggets.   Am I the only person who thinks 3 is the most likely?  But I also don’t understand what leaking that would create unless the Jets feel someone might try to jump them to take KT, which would be counter to the narrative that exists in the media about KT currently.

This stuff fascinates me, as weird as that is.

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I’m legitimately interested about this.  I always have been.  I also won’t pretend to know the answer.  Not sure if anyone here would know the answer.

I’ll give credit to Hughes where due.  He’s been on point for a lot this off-season.  Which makes me very curious what is the real driving force behind such a specific tweet.  1). Hughes could be projecting based off whatever info he has to date, without knowing exactly that.  2) That information is legit and from the org and they gave the go ahead to run with it.  3) It’s misinformation from the org they’ve asked him to run with in exchange for future nuggets.   Am I the only person who thinks 3 is the most likely?  But I also don’t understand what leaking that would create unless the Jets feel someone might try to jump them to take KT, which would be counter to the narrative that exists in the media about KT currently.

The Jets definitely make those types of agreements with certain writers. I'm not 100% on "leaks" or "smokescreens" like this kind of stuff but for sure give one guy a breaking news story in return for something. So I'm sure this is a possibility. 

Not really sure the benefit of making it clear they're not into KT. Maybe in hopes it drops him to 10? That would be my only guess.

• Upvote 1

He must read JN because he just followed that up with:

"Connor Hughes

@Connor_J_Hughes

I love fans. If I was tweeting about how likely Kayvon Thibodeaux is to the Jets there wouldn’t be a single reply talking about “smoke” or “the front office doesn’t tell you anything!” So sensitive to what you wanna hear. Remember: No one actually knows with the draft."

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

The Jets definitely make those types of agreements with certain writers. I'm not 100% on "leaks" or "smokescreens" like this kind of stuff but for sure give one guy a breaking news story in return for something. So I'm sure this is a possibility. 

Not really sure the benefit of making it clear they're not into KT. Maybe in hopes it drops him to 10? That would be my only guess.

Thanks for the response.  That’s kind of what I always assumed.  And agree on this particular one about KT.  On one hand it seemed oddly specific for Hughes to be so adamant about without it coming from the org, but in the other hand I couldn’t decipher what benefit it added.  Like you said maybe hoping he drops but the national narrative seems to be churning that out anyway.

When someone tweets someone else’s opinion and it’s an unnamed source, using words like might or could that’s just getting eyeballs and clicks 

when someone tweets a report mentioning team sources that’s a lie or an attempt to create a fear of loss for leverage. 

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is fascinating.  Earlier in the month, Connor tweeted that the Jets were not going CB.  He seems to be in the "Icky or JJ at 4" camp now. And on 4/15, he was in the "Icky or KT" camp based on his tweetering.

I always wonder how these guys speak in absolutes "the Jets are not drafting so and so" - I guess because if it happens, people don't call them on it, or the social media news cycle is so quick to move on?

• Upvote 1