How many players aware are we from respectability

Last years draft was a start.  Maybe Becton, Mims, etc. contribute from 2020.  This year we have a lot of draft capital and made some nice FA adds.

Legitimately how many pieces do we need to get to the point where we are a respectable team?

I know much depends on Zach (he flops we're in trouble, he progresses we're on the right track).  But curious how the board feels.

My view:  Need WR or two; Edge and another LB.  Corner.  DL.  We get better there we're on our way.  So I would say minimally we need at least 6 more quality players.

If Zach becomes a top 15 QB, we are Deebo Samuel away from having a legit offense.

On defense, I’d say we are one difference maker and another very good player away from being able to compete.

So,

1) Zach Wilson becomes FQB

2) elite playmaker on offense (Deebo)

3) elite playmaker on defense (say edge at 4)

4) very good player on defense (say Honey Badger)

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Last years draft was a start.  Maybe Becton, Mims, etc. contribute from 2020.  This year we have a lot of draft capital and made some nice FA adds.

Legitimately how many pieces do we need to get to the point where we are a respectable team?

I know much depends on Zach (he flops we're in trouble, he progresses we're on the right track).  But curious how the board feels.

My view:  Need WR or two; Edge and another LB.  Corner.  DL.  We get better there we're on our way.  So I would say minimally we need at least 6 more quality players.

imo it all depends on one's definition of respectability.  i think this team can compete with the players it has.  oh they wouldn't be a lock to make the playoffs each year but they'd be in the hunt until the final few games.  a couple of good bounces and who knows?  and i say this not because they've done so well or have the record but i have faith saleh and his staff will get them all on the same page and play as a team.  and no injuries. that's over half the battle.  after that they need maybe 4 more really good players to get them over the top.  wr, edge, db, and lb.  and this all assumes wilson plays better too.

27 minutes ago, peebag said:

We need at least 3 good starters out of the top 4 picks we have.

The middling FAs we got might help with a win or two but it comes down to how good we draft this year.

This. 

If this draft flops, you’re looking at another 3-4 years of evaluation and turnover from GM down. The whole cycle will reboot.

They must nail it.

2 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

just 1, wilson

• Upvote 1

The truth is the Bengals proved last year you don’t have to be the perfect team to mkebit to the SB, so we are not as fat off as amny out here proclaim. 

I think that we need 5 or 6 more key players, which includes outstanding QB play for us to be dangerous.  

• Upvote 1

Not sure but I do know that if the Jets can turn 4, 10, 35, 38 into two starters on O and two starters on D then this team will have completed the rebuild.  It will put the Jets into the upgrade mode for future Drafts where they won’t walk in having something like 4 or 5 “needs” every Draft.

• Upvote 3