2022 NFL Draft: Rumors & Discussion

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Huh?  Sherman wasn't a shutdown guy with the 49ers the past few years and he's a zone coverage CB.

From 2020...

1240744802_ScreenShot2022-04-27at1_00_05PM.thumb.png.c850eec7c4c6628ee0c8f1144d5d2004.png

Sherman was a machine in San Fran, I think he put up his best season in coverage in 2019 according to PFF. The point is that San Fran didn’t have to use draft capital on a high end CB because they had a high end starter already. 

Yes, Sherman was a zone corner but he was excellent at preventing plays on third down. Thats the upside with Gardner, he’s a guy that can matchup on 3rd down and get you off the field. Atlanta under Quinn/ Ulbrich took AJ Terrell in round 1 and Baltimore also liked first round CBs. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Sherman was a machine in San Fran, I think he put up his best season in coverage in 2019 according to PFF. The point is that San Fran didn’t have to use draft capital on a high end CB because they had a high end starter already. 

Yes, Sherman was a zone corner but he was excellent at preventing plays on third down. Thats the upside with Gardner, he’s a guy that can matchup on 3rd down and get you off the field. Atlanta under Quinn/ Ulbrich took AJ Terrell in round 1 and Baltimore also liked first round CBs. 

Good points.

I'd still be shocked if the Jets go Sauce at #4.  Could certainly be 100% wrong...and maybe I'm guaranteeing the Jets draft him by saying it won't happen. lol 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think Karlaftis makes it out of Round 1, although he may not go until the late teens or 20's.

Let's say the Jets don't hit Edge at 4 or 10, my targets would be either Ebiketie or Mafe at 35.... but it might require a trade-up to get the one they want.

Another interesting question for those advocating for the injured Jameson Williams at 10 or if the Jets trade back a bit - What about David Ojabo in Round 2?  He's a Top 15-20 talent.  Would you give him a redshirt 2022 season to be on the upside when he's healthy in 2023?  Personally, I like that kind of risk/reward but the only thing holding me back is that we have Carl Lawson coming off the same exact injury, a torn ACL.  I can't imagine the Jets betting their Edge rush on two guys coming off ACL injuries, one of whom is a very expensive free agent (Lawson) and the other who would require a valuable Round 1/2 Draft pick.

pretty sure you meant achilles 

and Mafe would be my choice I am pretty confident I remember him looking much better at senior bowl than Ebiketie in the JETS Defensive system

• Upvote 1

Good video on London

To sum it up the guy says he has excellent hands, ability to catch in traffic, great ball instincts and ability to adjust, size, and YAC. Also pointed out that his route running especially in short situations is real good. However he doesn't have the three traits of good separation, route running, and speed that's typical for star receivers drafted recently. He has good foot quickness, but he's just not very fast at all and would need to get a good scheme, and QB chemistry going to best utilize the space (or lack thereof) he's given. Also mentioned that NFL teams may just try to press him in order to stop him in his tracks. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Huh?  Sherman wasn't a shutdown guy with the 49ers the past few years and he's a zone coverage CB. 

He was never a shutdown-man-coverage corner. He was always a zone coverage darling.

Not hating but he is not in the same echelon was Revis, Deion, etc...

• Upvote 2

Just now, Grandy said:

Good video on London

To sum it up the guy says he has excellent hands, ability to catch in traffic, great ball instincts and ability to adjust, size, and YAC. Also pointed out that his route running especially in short situations is real good. However he doesn't have the three traits of good separation, route running, and speed that's typical for star receivers drafted recently. He has good foot quickness, but he's just not very fast at all and would need to get a good scheme, and QB chemistry going to best utilize the space (or lack thereof) he's given. Also mentioned that NFL teams may just try to press him in order to stop him in his tracks. 

easy way around that is line him up inside and in motion

but London is a tough one. Some like him and some don't.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We are picking at 4.

We want 10, a second 1st rounder.

We are offering 35+38 for Deebo.

Why not just trade them 10 for Deebo, then use 35+38 to move up and have the second 1st rounder? 

Either way you spend 4 picks to get Deebo and two 1st rounders.

You got me. Id rather trade 10 and keep the 2 2nd round picks with the 3rd rd pick. And yes If you need to trade back up you could. ??‍♂️

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, King P said:

@football guy anything on Becton?

I heard Jets are talking to Fant about an extension. And Ikey by your admission seems to be the favorite at 4.

If that's the case, you think there will be trade discussions for Becton?

I think the Jets will hold off trading him if they do take Ickey, but I would expect he’d eventually get traded

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We are picking at 4.

Why not just trade them 10 for Deebo, then use 35+38 to move up and have the second 1st rounder? 

Because they have prospects they’re keyed in on at 10. It’s no different than what was the case during the Hill trade

• Upvote 1

Not sure if anybody is into Draft betting, but can get Thibs at most bookies (UK bookies but prices often mirrored either sider of the Atlantic) at +150 (6/4) to be taken higher than 4th. If you believe the rumours and sauces saying we aren't interested, that's a very decent bet. 

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We are picking at 4.

Huge difference from a GM standpoint. You can trade back from 10 and regain that equity. Total headcount might not change much but one version still includes 2 players taken in the first 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We are picking at 4.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Any idea if they're leaning more heavily to O vs D?  I was thinking it might be realistic to get Sauce at 4, JJ at 10, a safety and LB at 35 and 38.  That would basically fix the defense.  Then we could still take a WR, TE, RB and OL after that.  Not saying it's necessarily the best approach (especially in the offense-heavy NFL) but I could see Saleh pushing for something like that as a HC who comes from the defensive side of the ball.

Other questions:

Have you heard anything on the Devin Lloyd front?  Or maybe we have too many needs and not enough draft picks in the 1st to be able to snag him anyway?  Are there any LBs they like?  Leo Chenal maybe?

Do they like Linda Baum and do they think there's a chance he'll fall into round 2?

How about TEs?  Any sense if they're planning to draft one of these guys?  Or maybe they feel set due to the 2 signings?  (though we have no depth).

Any RBs they're liking?

Last year offense was a heavy emphasis. This year I think there’s more of a desire to invest in the defense, but I think the organization will slightly lean offense until Zach has “made it”… so no, I don’t think your scenario will come to fruition. Maybe a CB-DE combo in round 1, but they would add players on offense with some of their premium assets one way or another. 

I haven’t asked about Lloyd. I don’t think the Jets would consider him in round 1. Chad Muma is the LB they’ve been most associated with outside R1. I think pick 69 is possible for a LB absolutely if they hold onto it. 

I haven’t heard much on Linderbaum. I would have to think he’ll be under strong consideration if he’s there in round 2, but that would likely mean they have to move CMG. From what I understand, they want starters/big time contributors with their top 3-4 picks. 

TE will be prioritized in the 4th. I think a lot of good ones will be on the board. Wouldn’t rule out the 3rd round. 

There are a few names I don’t know off the top of my head but I think it’s Pierre Strong? (currently no service on the subway as I write this). Either way I think they’ll take one on Day 3

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Then they need to be fired. 

I think Burks sliding into their laps at #35 is more likely/ideal. They've done the homework and he fits the bill... i also agree with the reasoning behind the slide. The more i watched the more it became clear he's really not a develop outside/route runner yet. 

Many seem to think Watson could go in round 1

Not Jets related but heard an interesting one last night on Movin the Chains. Supposedly the Arizona Cardinals really like Matt Coral. Don't know if they like him enough at #24, but may try to trade up from #51 in the 2nd if still there. They seem to be worried/pissed off with all this Murray stuff, and may want to get a guy in there.

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Last year offense was a heavy emphasis. This year I think there’s more of a desire to invest in the defense, but I think the organization will slightly lean offense until Zach has “made it”… so no, I don’t think your scenario will come to fruition. Maybe a CB-DE combo in round 1, but they would add players on offense with some of their premium assets one way or another. 

I haven’t asked about Lloyd. I don’t think the Jets would consider him in round 1. Chad Muma is the LB they’ve been most associated with outside R1. I think pick 69 is possible for a LB absolutely if they hold onto it. 

I haven’t heard much on Linderbaum. I would have to think he’ll be under strong consideration if he’s there in round 2, but that would likely mean they have to move CMG. From what I understand, they want starters/big time contributors with their top 3-4 picks. 

TE will be prioritized in the 4th. I think a lot of good ones will be on the board. Wouldn’t rule out the 3rd round. 

There are a few names I don’t know off the top of my head but I think it’s Pierre Strong? (currently no service on the subway as I write this). Either way I think they’ll take one on Day 3

If faced with thibs or ekongwu which one would they take?

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Maybe we can merge this with a few other threads? Either way, I think it’s time to have one official draft thread. 

As far as Jets rumors: nothing has really changed on my front—expecting Ekwonu and a pass rusher at 4 and 10. 

One interesting take:

An agent I spoke to hears Burks will slide into the 2nd round on draft day. It’s less about workouts and more about projecting him into an NFL offense. Given the Deebo Samuel comparisons and scheme fit, you’d have to think the Jets would be in on him. The other 2nd round receiver on our radar is Christian Watson; Jets coaches have been smitten with him ever since the first day of senior bowl practices and he’s a legitimate option if the Jets don’t address WR in round 1. 

Ekwonu NOOO we have our OL set this year. We need an edge and a cb. Yes to Watson. He’s been on my radar the moment his name hit draft. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Many seem to think Watson could go in round 1

I don't doubt some do -- but his issues/lack of development and inconsistent hands/focus are as transparent as N'Keal Harry's separation issues. Paralysis by analysis i guess. Great althlete. mediocre receiver at the moment. Set your watch -- the training camp reports will not be kind to Watson. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Have you heard any Jets interest in Nik Bonitto? 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We are picking at 4.

Because using 35+38  to trade back into the first round will not get you as high as #10. Thus you may not have the same quality player that you may get between picks 15-25. 

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not Jets related but heard an interesting one last night on Movin the Chains. Supposedly the Arizona Cardinals really like Matt Coral. Don't know if they like him enough at #24, but may try to trade up from #51 in the 2nd if still there. They seem to be worried/pissed off with all this Murray stuff, and may want to get a guy in there.

Interesting. Heard many NFL ex-players/analysts or in the know ones, believe that Murray will definitely be traded. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Then they need to be fired. 

I think Burks sliding into their laps at #35 is more likely/ideal. They've done the homework and he fits the bill... i also agree with the reasoning behind the slide. The more i watched the more it became clear he's really not a develop outside/route runner yet. 

I've been saying that ..... for a year as of tomorrow

• Sympathy 1