Jump to content

2022 NFL Draft: Rumors & Discussion


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So basically ekwonu is plan A, he starts at RT and they either flip becton or bring him into camp and have him compete at LT and see what he’s made of.  Then at 10 they’re either in the hunt for JJ or if the edges are gone, trade back.  Can’t go OL/wr in round 1.

If Ekwonu is the pick, one of Fant or Becton would, likely, be traded sooner rather than later.  My guess is it would be Becton.  10 is probably EDGE or WR.  This all goes out the window if someone like Hutchinson falls to 4.

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Any feeling on Sauce vs Ekwonu? I am really hoping we don't feel we need to draft an OL in the top 10. I'd be good with Johnson too.

I, personally, prefer Sauce, but see the appeal of Ickey.  FG mentioned it above.  Teams are more willing to move on from guys early on and that position is so dang important, you absolutely cannot afford to have a loaf there.  Talent-wise, I think Becton is right there, but Ekwonu is all ball.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

A few things to point out if the Jets do select Ekwonu 4th overall tomorrow night… 

  1. Teams are more willing than ever to cut bait on former 1st round picks sooner rather than later. 
  2. Jets have negotiated with Fant, but they’re not locked into anything. They can absolutely go into camp with a Fant vs. Becton competition before determining who they seek to build around going forward. 
  3. If they do select Ekwonu, it gives them a lot of negotiating leverage with Fant if they do intent to extend him and trade Becton. 
  4. Becton is still too young and too talented to not net a significant return. My guess is they would be able to get a future 2nd and 4th round pick at minimum. 

I imagine they can wait and play it cool to see how training camp and the preseason shakes out. Injuries occur all of the time whether thats an injury to one of our own lineman or another team who believes they have a good shot at a Super Bowl run or even a team with a young QB.  We could make out well with a trade to a team that is desperate and we can net a high pick in the '23 draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

 

Do they like Linda Baum and do they think there's a chance he'll fall into round 2?

How about TEs?  Any sense if they're planning to draft one of these guys?  Or maybe they feel set due to the 2 signings?  (though we have no depth).

Any RBs they're liking?

I hope i don't get in trouble for this - but I heard tell that Lindy's name has been floated around in discussions involving moving back from #10.... I would presume that means preliminary talks with other teams about if X and Y come into focus, lets talk, Linderbaum as i understand it has always been well liked.

Ruckert is still in play.

Pierre Strong is one of the only RBs they made an effort to meet with and do homework on as i understand. Think he'll go early tho.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If Ekwonu is the pick, one of Fant or Becton would, likely, be traded sooner rather than later.  My guess is it would be Becton.  10 is probably EDGE or WR.  This all goes out the window if someone like Hutchinson falls to 4.

I, personally, prefer Sauce, but see the appeal of Ickey.  FG mentioned it above.  Teams are more willing to move on from guys early on and that position is so dang important, you absolutely cannot afford to have a loaf there.  Talent-wise, I think Becton is right there, but Ekwonu is all ball.

The Ekwonu love is legit, but feels like Joe & Co have gone out of their way, including using Connor Huges, to keep other teams guessing -- IOW keep their hand hidden from teams who might leapfrog us with HOU... ALSO of note, is that every other name but Sauce has been heavily linked to Jets at some time or another...

Just saying... the quietest name in the room just happens to be the BPA in the draft. Wouldn't count out Gardner. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Ekwonu love is legit, but feels like Joe & Co have gone out of their way, including using Connor Huges, keep other teams guessing -- aka inspired to put a call into HOU to leap frog us... also of note, is that every other name but Sauce has been heavily linked to Jets at some time or another...

Just saying... the quietest voice in the room is BPA in the draft. Wouldn't count out Gardner. 

I hope to everything you’re right bud.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Ekwonu love is legit, but feels like Joe & Co have gone out of their way, including using Connor Huges, keep other teams guessing -- aka inspired to put a call into HOU to leap frog us... also of note, is that every other name but Sauce has been heavily linked to Jets at some time or another...

Just saying... the quietest voice in the room is BPA in the draft. Wouldn't count out Gardner. 

I very much like the thought of getting Ekonwu, then flipping Becton for picks. It’s like free picks because Becton sounds like dead man walking here

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Ekwonu love is legit, but feels like Joe & Co have gone out of their way, including using Connor Huges, to keep other teams guessing -- IOW keep their hand hidden from teams who might leapfrog us with HOU... ALSO of note, is that every other name but Sauce has been heavily linked to Jets at some time or another...

Just saying... the quietest name in the room just happens to be the BPA in the draft. Wouldn't count out Gardner. 

I feel like there’s been some pretty solid connection to Sauce. More than Neal for example.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I feel like there’s been some pretty solid connection to Sauce. More than Neal for example.

For sure. We've met and done all of the same work w/ Sauce as Thibs, JJ, IE, etc etc... but it feels intentional (imo) that the Jets have kept Sauce's name out of these "infatuated" leaks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

For sure. We've met and done all of the same work w/ Sauce as Thibs, JJ, IE, etc etc... but it feels intentional (imo) that the Jets have kept Sauce's name out of these "infatuated" leaks

I can’t wrap my head around the Ekwonu pick and if it’s a leak that’s extra annoying.

I listen to the national guys say well maybe he can move in to guard if Becton works out and they don’t need a tackle. Three years of Tomlinson, four of AVT…guard is locked down.

Hope Hutchinson falls to 4.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Seeing a lot of Hutchinson potentially being available at 4 tonight

If this indeed does happen, I would think the Jets are sprinting the card in

I can't stomach the Texans taking Stingley. its a bluff

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, derp said:

I can’t wrap my head around the Ekwonu pick and if it’s a leak that’s extra annoying.

I listen to the national guys say well maybe he can move in to guard if Becton works out and they don’t need a tackle. Three years of Tomlinson, four of AVT…guard is locked down.

Hope Hutchinson falls to 4.

I'm of the same mind as you and @kdels62 on Ekwonu. Based purely on pass protection reps at tackle, I prefer Cross and Neal to Ekwonu. He's got some bad reps out there. You also can't play him at guard because of AVT and Tomlinson. If the Jets want to go tackle, just pick Cross or Neal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

I'm of the same mind as you and @kdels62 on Ekwonu. Based purely on pass protection reps at tackle, I prefer Cross and Neal to Ekwonu. He's got some bad reps out there. You also can't play him at guard because of AVT and Tomlinson. If the Jets want to go tackle, just pick Cross or Neal. 

Sauce or JJ and move on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Sounds like they think Ekwonu will be there @ 4...

And what hasn't been clear to this point is - are we moving on from Becton or do we just love Ekwonu? More to the point - if Ekwonu is gone, is it Neal or Cross @ 4 ahead of a pass rusher?

They wouldn't take a OT because they deem it necessary to move on from Becton. They still think he can be an elite player in the NFL and is a more than adequate "Plan A" heading into the season... but if Ekwonu is the BPA, they would take him and figure it out later because they feel he's a difference maker as opposed to feeling like they need an OT. 

Ultimately they want to come away with the best player available at a premium position regardless of need at #4. So if say Ekwonu is 3rd on their board, Sauce 4th, and Jermaine Johnson were 5th, I don't think they will take Johnson simply because he's a pass rusher the way the media is speculating (I don't know that this is the order I'm just projecting). However, I can see them allowing need to dictate what they more so at #10. For instance, if Hutchinson fell to #4, I think they would take him and be more willing to reach on a player based on perceived need/agenda (i.e. adding a WR)

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Chris Long-err, sorry Aidan Hutchinson would be a "meh" pick for me

I know, but which of the other names rumored at 4 are going to get your juices flowing? Maybe Gardner, but that's it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

They wouldn't take a OT because they deem it necessary to move on from Becton. They still think he can be an elite player in the NFL and is a more than adequate "Plan A" heading into the season... but if Ekwonu is the BPA, they would take him and figure it out later because they feel he's a difference maker as opposed to feeling like they need an OT. 

Ultimately they want to come away with the best player available at a premium position regardless of need at #4. So if say Ekwonu is 3rd on their board, Sauce 4th, and Jermaine Johnson were 5th, I don't think they will take Johnson simply because he's a pass rusher the way the media is speculating (I don't know that this is the order I'm just projecting). However, I can see them allowing need to dictate what they more so at #10. For instance, if Hutchinson fell to #4, I think they would take him and be more willing to reach on a player based on perceived need/agenda (i.e. adding a WR)

Appreciate the clarification.

Kinda nervous about the Hutch 32" arms... 

And this is wild that Sauce, Ekwonu and Hutch all might be on the board @ 4. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Appreciate the clarification.

Kinda nervous about the Hutch 32" arms... 

And this is wild that Sauce, Ekwonu and Hutch all might be on the board @ 4. 

Wilder? Travon Walker and Derek Stingley in the top 3... smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Really, why? I think he's a complete DE... not a blue chip prospect but a good DE

I watched the ND tape and the UNC tape. I saw some good run defense reps, but I was very underwhelmed by his pass rush game, his sacks were more about hustling as the QB was escaping the pocket than actually beating the tackle and collapsing the pocket. I still think Jaelan Phillips was better than any of the guys coming out this year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

I watched the ND tape and the UNC tape. I saw some good run defense reps, but I was very underwhelmed by his pass rush game, his sacks were more about hustling as the QB was escaping the pocket than actually beating the tackle and collapsing the pocket. I still think Jaelan Phillips was better than any of the guys coming out this year. 

I watched the ND game as well. I didn't mind as much, but yes he brings more to the table than edge rusher. In that latter sense, he's... OK.

Its interesting; lately i don't hear anyone even talk about DEs... it's just "edge"... I think NFL teams have a more dynamic view of an end, over just "edge"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wilder? Travon Walker and Derek Stingley in the top 3... smh

GM's in front of you taking home run swings. Ya love to see it for us. 

I haven't read or watched anything on Hutch since the end of the season - I have no read on this player other than consensus opinion. Thoughts?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

GM's in front of you taking home run swings. Ya love to see it for us. 

I haven't read or watched anything on Hutch since the end of the season - I have no read on this player other than consensus opinion. Thoughts?

high floor. Limited athletically far more than media is soliciting 

If he was all that and a bag donuts -- JAX woulda mailed in the pick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feels like as good a place as any to remind everyone...
Just because JD doesn't pick the guy you think was right, or he picks the guy you think was wrong, doesn't mean he's wrong.  Our strong opinions (and I have them just as much) don't make us all-knowing.  By this time tomorrow night, we will have (likely) two new Jets and whatever we think of whether they were the best picks, or whether they were picked too high or not, they are Jets who we should try to find it within ourselves to be excited about.  
This

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

high floor. Limited athletically far more than media is soliciting 

If he was all that and a bag donuts -- JAX woulda mailed in the pick. 

 

Pretty much Nick Bosa numbers here. Actually better in a few categories but hes def an Elite athlete. Perhaps just doesn't bend like Von Miller but not many do. The 3 cone is special and I think you see it on his tape too. It is kind of cruel for people to get Jet Fans hopes up that Hutchinson will slide tomorrow. Hes From Detroit. Hes getting picked 2nd. He should not be available at our pick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...