2022 NFL Draft: Rumors & Discussion

1 minute ago, derp said:

Easily best case at 4. Opens up the rest of the draft.

certainly would suggest a trade down from 10 in that case. 

I think Taking Ekwonu represents the most likely scenario where we stay at 10 to try to draft a high impact Edge guy hoping a JJ or Thibs falls.  If they dont is where they would trade out.  Could still address edge in the first in a trade down, or in rd 2 if you felt like risking it, its a deep class, but I think they would have JJ and Thibs rated high enough that 10 would be their spot. 

Taking Hutch or an Edge at 4 I believe almost assuredly will result in a mad scramble to get out of 10 as the tackles will surely be gone and there is not much else there we would value.  Edge at 4 opens up a lot of possibilities for the team. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

honestly i think they trade out of 10, barring some surprise QB picks and such that would push talent to them at #10... Just my "reading the tea leaves" but the two likeliest scenarios for a WR would be a trade back in the first or a trade up from #35.. 

so the draft could go sauce/jj/trade up for burks?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

certainly would suggest a trade down from 10 in that case. 

I think Taking Ekwonu represents the most likely scenario where we stay at 10 to try to draft a high impact Edge guy hoping a JJ or Thibs falls.  If they dont is where they would trade out.  Could still address edge in the first in a trade down, or in rd 2 if you felt like risking it, its a deep class, but I think they would have JJ and Thibs rated high enough that 10 would be their spot. 

Taking Hutch or an Edge at 4 I believe almost assuredly will result in a mad scramble to get out of 10 as the tackles will surely be gone and there is not much else there we would value.  Edge at 4 opens up a lot of possibilities for the team. 

I do think DT is a sneaky option still as well but I’m the only one and probably bracing myself.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What are we up to now, SIX guys who are the "best player(s) in the draft?!"

Hamilton is the best player in the draft, KT is the best player in the draft, Hutch is the best player in the draft, Ekwonu is the best player in the draft, Gardner is the best player in the draft... now, Cross is also the best player in the daft.  We could draft two of them and still have half the board complain. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, derp said:

What are your thoughts on the possibility of Jordan Davis at 10?

I think the general assumption has been JFM->DT and a drafted edge replaces him, I suppose Rankins starting is possible, but they haven't really replaced Fatukasi, the places Douglas spent time (BAL, PHI) valued iDL play/athleticism and he clearly likes the big freaks (Becton) and SF hit iDL repeatedly as well (Kinlaw, Buckner, Armstead as an inside out guy).

i honestly haven't spent enough time on Davis to have an opinion. I think we need to get production out of the guys we currently have at DT. ...Jets have spent time meeting with Perrion Winfrey and i think at least one other day 2 interior guy. 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

What are we up to now, SIX guys who are the "best player(s) in the draft?!"

Hamilton is the best player in the draft, KT is the best player in the draft, Hutch is the best player in the draft, Ekwonu is the best player in the draft, Gardner is the best player in the draft... now, Cross is also the best player in the daft.  We could draft two of them and still have half the board complain. 

Obviously, because we drafted the two worst "best players" in the draft.?

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

i honestly haven't spent enough time on Davis to have an opinion. I think we need to get production out of the guys we currently have at DT. ...Jets have spent time meeting with Perrion Winfrey and i think at least one other day 2 interior guy. 

Keep an eye on Matthew Butler of Tennessee, say 4th RD.  Verry versatile, good solid player. 

• Upvote 2

I know someone who is close friends with Giants assistant GM, but he's not shedding too much. His words: 

"Haven't spoken to him recently because this is the most important week of his life lol but I know he thinks sauce has some character issues. And has a preference for building through the line." Followed up with "never said they wouldn't take [Gardner], just sharing what I know." 

I keep pressing him to get more info lol but the expectation is that they're going Cross or Neal at 5, which isn't a surprise. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I see 1 of 2 scenarios... 

1. Houston takes a CB at #3 and looks to move up for a WR (NYG at #7, ATL at #8, NYJ at #10, WAS at #11, MIN at #12 all linked to WRs). 
  2. Houston takes an OL or DE at #3 and looks to move up for a CB (NYG at #7, SEA at #9, and NYJ at #10 all linked to CBs). 
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I know someone who is close friends with Giants assistant GM, but he's not shedding too much. His words: 

"Haven't spoken to him recently because this is the most important week of his life lol but I know he thinks sauce has some character issues. And has a preference for building through the line." Followed up with "never said they wouldn't take [Gardner], just sharing what I know." 

I keep pressing him to get more info lol but the expectation is that they're going Cross or Neal at 5, which isn't a surprise. 

Wow - been following this draft pretty close and everything pointed to Sauce having like an A+ character - crazy to think a team may view it the opposite. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

But douglas, who also prefers to build thru the line, would take sauce at 4?

Sorry I’m still not buying it.  I think they’d take jj over sauce.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Corey Davis sucks. No heart/competitive fire/no Clutch.  an……. Oops wrong davis

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

Is it Gardner or Ickey if neither are in the top 3?

I'm 99.99% sure if Hutchinson and Walker are off the board, the Jets will take one of Gardner or Ickey. 

How they rate them on the final board I'm not sure. I do know that as of last Saturday, people within the organization did not expect Gardner to be there at #4 (essentially, they were expecting he would go #3). 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

If this happened, I would think they would look to make a big jump for a WR depending whose available in the teens. Can't rule out a Deebo trade either. 

The thing never discussed is who would the Niners have an eye on if they got #10? There is no WR worth Deebo in this draft. Would it be a DL or a LB? Possibly an OT? The more I look at this the less I think this trade makes any possible sense for SF. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Wow - been following this draft pretty close and everything pointed to Sauce having like an A+ character - crazy to think a team may view it the opposite. 

Chris Simms has Sauce as having the lowest rated character in the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I will die on the hill that this doesn't exist... Not saying you didn't hear it -- but actions speak louder than words.

The jets have done everything they can to secure a top WR this offseason (and failed thus far)... that's not something a team does if their board looks like that. It just isn't. There's a genuine gap in draft-grade and the Jets will not select a WR at #10... they brought in 5 guys for visits.. they did this to gauge options in a trade back, or trade up or simply whomever slides to them at #35

None of these WRs *ought to* yield a top 10 grade. 

I certainly did not hear that those players round out their top 10. I'm reading the breadcrumbs... 

A basic summary of what I have been told as it relates to the Jets and their top 10 picks since before the combine through this past Saturday... 

• Aidan Hutchinson is going to be the top player on their board 
  • Travon Walker and Jermaine Johnson would leap-frog Kayvon Thibodeaux on the Jets board
  • They love Ickey Ekwonu and was the projected pick last weekend
  • They love Sauce Gardner and expected him to go top #3 as of last weekend 
  • Expected one of Sauce and Ickey to be the pick last weekend (assuming Hutchinson is gone) 
  • Expect one or both of JJ and Thibs to be there at 10 / expected pass rusher would be the pick there
  • Love Drake London and is their WR1 (I'm skeptical of this) coupled with every notable reporter penciling him in the top 11 picks 

I'm filling the gaps with Derek Stingley, Evan Neal, and Garrett Wilson/Jameson Williams who are all consensus top 15 players and play premium positions the Jets want to address. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I challenged him on this and pointed out how Sauce has never smoked nor drank, nor has he ever gotten into trouble, which prompted a comical exchange. Could be something as simple as the assistant GM thinks he has an ego problem. Not sure

The friend is a huge Packers fan and can care less what the Giants are doing, or else I feel he'd be more aggressively trying to find out. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If london ran a 4.65 or better he would be consistently mocked in the top 8.  Not running may ultaimtely help the jets if they want him at 10.  

4.65? Is he going to move to TE? If you select a WR in the top 10 that runs a 4.6 or slower you should be fired

My Random Draft Day Thoughts:

- I believe if any team in the Top 10 had the chance to trade back, at typical draft chart value, they would do it in a heartbeat.  

- Believe that most of what "is out there" is teams posturing to try to get someone to trade up.  But the lack of elite QB, or lack of elite playmakers, coupled with solid players from say 15-45 makes it a non-existent market.  So, teams picking 1-10 just sort of have to sit here and make their picks.  We'll see if any owners or GM's get ancy, which is always a possibility on draft day, but I sort of doubt it.

- That said, I have full faith and belief in Joe D.  He should, as I think he will, just take the best players of need who fit the scheme.  The fact that they've whittled it down to a list of 150 or so (per the press conference), to me, is great news.  They seem hyper focused and have put in the work so whatever comes at them (or doesn't) over the next 72 hours, they are prepared for.  

- Woody needs to stay the heck out of this and let Joe D do his thing.  Praying that happens...don't even want to think about what happens to this franchise otherwise.  I firmly believe they've finally gotten it right with Joe D and Saleh...Please Woody, be patient and let them build this the right way, they are already well on their way.

- I believe a Deebo trade could already be agreed to in principle, depending upon who's on the board at 10.  Very possible Jets / 9ers / Agent have all been sworn to secrecy (and have the incentive to keep silent).  From 9ers perspective, the last thing they want is someone jumping up to 8 or 9 to take "their guy".  I could be wrong, but it just seems where there is smoke, there is fire and 9ers may have said "OK we'll make the trade IF we get our guy at 10, otherwise, no deal".  Deebo wants out, so he keeps quiet, Jets want him, so they keep quiet....we'll see.

- If a deal happens, I trust Joe D. not to overpay...at least not by an egregious amount.  A bit of an overpay (say we throw them an extra 3rd or something, just to seal the deal) is OK by me to secure such an exciting offensive weapon.  Joe D. knows he needs to do all he can to help Zach succeed...rookie contract is the time to throw money at other positions.  Deebo gets his bag, Jets get their WR, 9ers make the best deal they can (given the circumstances).  Just hope Woody stays out of it and doesn't force a situation where the Jets give up the farm.  

- My personal preference is pass rusher at 4...because it's been such a sore spot for years... decades?  Given Saleh's preference for how he wants to play Defense, if there is someone they love at 4, I really hope they don't pass.  Even if it's someone they "could" possibly get at 10.  This is not the draft to get cute, if you love the guy, just take him.  As good as Ickey or Sauce might be, how great can they be given the consensus general weakness in the Top 10 this year?  I firmly believe there is so much smoke this year because all these teams would love to trade back.  The truth comes out tonight.

- E. Moore is going to be a superstar....in no scenario should the Jets trade him, and I don't think they will.  

- 8:00 cannot get here fast enough!  Go Jets!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I'm 99.99% sure if Hutchinson and Walker are off the board, the Jets will take one of Gardner or Ickey. 

How they rate them on the final board I'm not sure. I do know that as of last Saturday, people within the organization did not expect Gardner to be there at #4 (essentially, they were expecting he would go #3). 

Do you know if they see ickey as a LT, RT, or swing tackle?