Zach Wilson Meets With Media (4/27/22)

Grandy

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The quality of players around him will dwarf what he finished the season with.

Of course he’s optimistic.

I really don't see it that way...

a LG and two middle of the road TE's..

While losing the most consistent WR on the team.  

Maybe a bit better but feels closer to a push to me.

IMO, as of now the Joe Douglas has dropped the ball on upgrading the offense this off-season.  And now we have people talking about defense at 4 and 10.  

Still plenty of time to upgrade the roster, and may be slightly upgraded already but I don't think it's anywhere near "Dwarf"

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

IMO, as of now the Joe Douglas has dropped the ball on upgrading the offense this off-season.  And now we have people talking about defense at 4 and 10.  

Still plenty of time to upgrade the roster, and may be slightly upgraded already but I don't think it's anywhere near "Dwarf"

Compared to the tight ends he had last year, these are all world players.

What receiver did he lose?

Mr Drops A Lot Jamison? 

Moore will be better and hopefully Davis more consistent. 

The line is going to MAUL teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Compared to the tight ends he had last year, these are all world players.

What receiver did he lose?

Mr Drops A Lot Jamison? 

Moore will be better and hopefully Davis more consistent. 

The line is going to MAUL teams. 

Surely Tomlinson and the two TE's are upgrades at positions of dire need.

But Crowder's loss is bigger than people are accepting right now.  I've never known him to drop a lot of balls.  We always tend to hype of the guys we sign and downgrade the guys we let go.  Crowder is a quality NFL WR.  

Again, I think this roster is better - but it's far from Dwarfing last seasons.

Let's see what it looks like after the draft to get a true sense of what JD did.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Coming from you this almost reads as sarcasm.

The line should be upgraded.  The TE's should be mega upgraded.  I think it's clear we're at least adding one more WR to the roster either from the draft or using draft capital to acquire a top guy.

Comparing who he was throwing to at the end of the year last year, this is a completely different level of offensive talent around him.

I also would like to see the whole presser, and not just the clips that the beat thinks we will find most interesting.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The quality of players around him will dwarf what he finished the season with.

Of course he’s optimistic.

It should be the same across the team. When the level of talent is raised next to you, and the familiarity with the scheme (second year) cuts down on mental errors, you worry less about compensating for the mistakes the other guy is making, and just concentrate on your own job. The level of play individually and as a unit should improve this year on both sides of the ball.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Can't really say until after Friday night, but assuming we add two likely starters by then, I'd say the upgrade is 'substantial'.

I don't see Crowder as such a big loss.  He and Berrios were almost identical in stats and we're almost certain to add another WR shortly.  RG and TE were by far our biggest weakness and we have shored both up well.  The biggest risk is RT.  Moses was good, if not great and we don't know what's happening there yet.  Fingers crossed...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Coming from you this almost reads as sarcasm.

The line should be upgraded.  The TE's should be mega upgraded.  I think it's clear we're at least adding one more WR to the roster either from the draft or using draft capital to acquire a top guy.

Comparing who he was throwing to at the end of the year last year, this is a completely different level of offensive talent around him.

Maybe I'm just a bigger Crowder fan than most.  I really feel like that loss is substantial.  

I think you are more right than I initially gave you credit for  - the gap between GVR and Tomlinson is huge - and the gap between whatever TE we were throwing out there any given week is huge between what we have now.

And yes, we will replace Crowder with someone --- but until I see who that is it's a downgrade. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Surely Tomlinson and the two TE's are upgrades at positions of dire need.

But Crowder's loss is bigger than people are accepting right now.  I've never known him to drop a lot of balls.  We always tend to hype of the guys we sign and downgrade the guys we let go.  Crowder is a quality NFL WR.  

Again, I think this roster is better - but it's far from Dwarfing last seasons.

Let's see what it looks like after the draft to get a true sense of what JD did.

My original post said “dwarfs what he finished the season with” 

Who was Zach playing with vs Buffalo? 
The roster dwarfs that. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Can't really say until after Friday night, but assuming we add two likely starters by then, I'd say the upgrade is 'substantial'.

I agree, when all's said and done I surely hope the O gets further upgraded.  I expect it will...

But this pre-draft rumor mill has my head spinning...

I mean going D at 4 and 10 seems to be a real possibility.  Or I'm hearing we won't take any WR at 10, under any circumstance.

I'm not giving Joe the credit of upgrades without seeing them.  Just right now a guard and couple of JAG+ TE's doesn't particularly excite me.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

My original post said “dwarfs what he finished the season with” 

Who was Zach playing with vs Buffalo? 
The roster dwarfs that. 

Surely it dwarfs what he ended the season with - I apologize as I missed the second part of your sentence (sorry, I'm working and checking this stupid forum far more than I should be)

And I will also say, just some of these guys in year 2 should be upgrades - but we don't know that until we see it.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

t'd be understandable if you say you skipped watching the Jets close out the season, but "what he finished with" was:

Yes, I missed it and already apologized to @Jimmy 2 Times for the error.

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Surely it dwarfs what he ended the season with - I apologize as I missed the second part of your sentence (sorry, I'm working and checking this stupid forum far more than I should be)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Is it me (and it def. can be) but he seems far more relaxed and confident than he did last year?

Seems older, more confident and comfortable...

Hitting puberty will do that for you.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe I'm just a bigger Crowder fan than most.  I really feel like that loss is substantial.  

I think you are more right than I initially gave you credit for  - the gap between GVR and Tomlinson is huge - and the gap between whatever TE we were throwing out there any given week is huge between what we have now.

And yes, we will replace Crowder with someone --- but until I see who that is it's a downgrade. 

I hear you, and I liked Crowder too.  He was rock solid for us his first year here, but this won't be a sudden loss.  He's been slowly disappearing from our offense the last two years.  He's missed 9 games over the last 2 seasons, and last year Keelan Cole (who's still a FA and can be re-signed) had more yards than Crowder.  

Even if he had offered some kind of a sweetheart deal so he could stay, Crowder would have had less of a role this year.  Braxton proved himself worthy of more playing time, and it would have come at Crowder's expense.  Also, if we add another starting-caliber receiver (which I'm sure we will, one way or another), we'll possibly be seeing more of the new guy, Davis and Elijah rotating in the slot.

I'm actually more worried about the Bills signing Crowder than I am about us losing him.  He'll have a bigger role with them than he would have had for us.

• Upvote 1