Fant and Jets have begun contract extension negotiations

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they don’t trade Becton by tomorrow, how can Douglas seriously justify taking another Olineman at 4? 

It’s pretty easy to justify. Why trade Becton now and telegraph who you need/want at 4 and 10?

You draft the new guy, then you trade the old one … IF you don’t like his salary this year + you don’t see him fitting here in the future.

We aren’t getting a day 1 pick for Becton. He can be dealt for a later pick Friday or Saturday after we get our new guy. Not before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

What a waste of draft resources. How bout we keep Becton and draft for some of our many other needs?

Because Fant is turning 30, had an aboration of a year at LT and is still below average in run blocking. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bgivs21 said:

Because Fant is turning 30, had an aboration of a year at LT and is still below average in run blocking. 

So they’re gonna give him a contract extension to be a backup you’re implying?

What a waste of draft resources. How bout we keep Becton and draft for some of our many other needs?

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s pretty easy to justify. Why trade Becton now and telegraph who you need/want at 4 and 10?

You draft the new guy, then you trade the old one … IF you don’t like his salary this year + you don’t see him fitting here in the future.

We aren’t getting a day 1 pick for Becton. He can be dealt for a later pick Friday or Saturday after we get our new guy. Not before.

I've been pro Becton, but I trust Saleh and JD on this one.  If he's done, agree, better to trade him after drafting his replacement.  JD probably has a pretty good feel for his trade value and likely trade partners already in hand, so making a move after Round 1 should not be that difficult

Just now, peekskill68 said:

I've been pro Becton, but I trust Saleh and JD on this one.  If he's done, agree, better to trade him after drafting his replacement.  JD probably has a pretty good feel for his trade value and likely trade partners already in hand, so making a move after Round 1 should not be that difficult

Drafting Icky gives us leverage in Fant discussions, too.

Bexton doesn’t have to be moved. He can be demoted. It’s not as binary as fans make it seem. Don’t extend Fant, give Becton a chance to steal the job back.

Icky gives us flexibility in the most important position group.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol they havent begun anything. Just had a conversation about it

Isn’t having a conversation about extension the beginning of talks? Or when does it “actually” begin

Isn’t having a conversation about extension the beginning of talks? Or when does it “actually” begin

Conversation and negations are not the same. 
jd had conversations with jamal and his reps and never started negotiations.

Fant literally telling you he isnt in rush to resign.

I'm not entirely sure drafting Ekwonu means the end for Becton. Idt Joe D is gonna give up on him that quick tbh. Also Fant has proven to be a solid LT but from what I remember wasn't all that great on the right side.  I think if Ekwonu is the pick Becton and Fant battle it out for LT and the loser gets moved before or during the season.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Becton doesn’t have to be moved. He can be demoted. It’s not as binary as fans make it seem. Don’t extend Fant, give Becton a chance to steal the job back.

It's a gamble either way.  Trading him now will produce the highest return (if they're convinced they want to move on).  If he shines in camp, you're right, saves big money on an extension for what will amount to be a swing tackle.  From what is out there, they seem to love Fant so if they do go OL at #4, my money is on a prompt Becton departure...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So they’re gonna give him a contract extension to be a backup you’re implying?

Who knows if there will be an extension. And if they do, I don't think it's to be a backup immediately. Eventually yes. 

But again, Fant had an aboration of a year at LT and he's not guaranteed the starting spot this year. Also, when we signed him in 2020, he only had 24 career starts. 

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

What, no way

People were telling this wasn't going to happen

What exactly happened? He isn’t resigned and he isn’t rushing to resign and there not negotiating at the moment .  What am i missing here?

The only thing surprising is that it took this long, but prior to the draft was always the time to get a feeler for how much Fant's seeking on an extension.

The answer to what Fant's demanding could - and perhaps should - influence the draft. 

• Will he take an extension at $13-14MM per with 2022 and half of 2023 guaranteed?
  • Will he take less?
  • Is he seeking closer to $18-20MM?
  • He's still locked in for $10MM this year so a 3-year extension at $15MM per (with $16MM in year 3) per is effectively the upcoming 3 years @$13MM, with an out after 2023 (or with a heavy penalty, making this coming year ~$17-18MM instead of $10MM, still technically get-out-able after 2022). 

Maybe they just wanted to see him in person during recent voluntaries before starting talks (like they surely wanted to see Becton, too).

Or it may be that Douglas waited until this point for draft day optics: this way he has an excuse for not finalizing a deal until after round 1 has passed. If he began talks in March, and didn't get it done a full month later, the optics are very different, and everyone "knows" they're zeroed in on a tackle early. This way, maybe the Jets are taking an OT and maybe they're not; they like Fant enough but haven't finalized anything & that can go either way. 

• Upvote 2

How can we extend Fant when we don't even know if he'll play left or right tackle?  Yes, most assume left but part of that will be contingent on what Becton has to say through his play.  Or who they draft if they've already decided to move on from Becton. 

So many unknowns.  The first will be answered on Thursday.  If they do not take a tackle, then Becton is staying another year because they are not relying on a day 2 pick to start out of the gate.  Too much to risk entering a critical year for JD.

Do we really expect JD to admit defeat on Becton and trade him at his lowest possible value?  Nahh, not based on what the big guy showed when he was in shape and healthy!  My prediction is they invest in an insurance policy at the top of round 2, a guy who can play both sides and thus be insurance for either of Becton or Fant.  Now, if we didn't have so many other holes, my prediction would likely be different.  Now is not the time to trade Becton for multiple reasons.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

So basically trade him after we ger a guy to take his job and let every GM know we have no plans to keep him so we get the smallest comp possible.

Got it

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So basically trade him after we ger a guy to take his job and let every GM know we have no plans to keep him so we get the smallest comp possible.

Got it

If you’re trading him, then everyone knows you’re drafting his replacement. So, you aren’t getting good comp and you’re telegraphing draft needs.

This doesn’t have to be hard.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If you’re trading him, then everyone knows you’re drafting his replacement. So, you aren’t getting good comp and you’re telegraphing draft needs.

This doesn’t have to be hard.

If his replacement is already on the team, everyone knows you trade him or cut him. If his replacement  isn't  on the team, then cutting him isn't  something in the other GM's mind. Right now, there is no way the Jets are trading him anyway so the discussion  is pointless. 

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Fant's agents: "You guys wanna re-sign my client?"

Jets: "Yes. We'll get back to you when we're ready."

Fant: "My agents and the Jets have talked about a contract extension."

Jets: "We're trying to Draft his replacement tomorrow.  But if we don't, then yes."

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Jets: "We're trying to Draft his replacement tomorrow.  But if we don't, then yes."

Good call, I think that's exactly what's going on.

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

it was nice underpaying while we could, another great move by JD! Im sure he will sign a team friendly deal.

At a minimum I think he'll want to be paid as an average starting LT.  After saving the Jets' ass last year when Becton went down and starting most of the season at LT I'd want to be paid that way too.  Is JD going to pay two guys on this roster starting LT money?  I doubt it. He might want to draft a RT and the let Fant/Becton battle it out to be the 2023 starting LT.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Bexton doesn’t have to be moved. He can be demoted. It’s not as binary as fans make it seem. Don’t extend Fant, give Becton a chance to steal the job back.

I think this is the conundrum with Becton. We're talking about a player who's problem has been getting on the field and staying there, with questions about weight and motivation. I think if you take a player like that and tell him to sit on the bench for the year, then you're just begging for a relapse and him never seeing the field in a Jets jersey.

If Becton is healthy, and the staff believes in him long term, then he has to start.

I guess the only way I could see that working is if Fant beats Becton in camp, and Becton is dealt in June to some team in desperate need for an OT. But not sure if his trade value will be as high as it is now (not that it's particularly high).

The flip side, IMO, to this is Becton wins the job over Fant (great), but now you have 3 1st round picks (plus the two 3s it took to move up for AVT) invested in the OL, and, like others, I question if this is a good investment of resources. Plus, it's probably going to be expensive to keep all three.

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If his replacement is already on the team, everyone knows you trade him or cut him. If his replacement  isn't  on the team, then cutting him isn't  something in the other GM's mind. Right now, there is no way the Jets are trading him anyway so the discussion  is pointless. 

The bold is completely wrong. If you’re shopping a guy, other GMs are obviously talking about whether he’s a cut candidate too. Your logic in this works too hard to give us leverage where there is none. It reflects bias.

Aside from all that, yes, this is pointless.

• Upvote 1