A fan from another forum talks to Tony P

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Would be far and away the most concerning thing of anything that could possibly come out of this draft...

It would also be very concerning if Woody was an alien, but since neither are likely to be true, who cares? Tony P is just flailing around like a child who didn't get what he wants. 

• Haha 1

Am I wrong in saying that Saleh wants eyes TOWARDS the LOS with his secondary, not their backs to the QB?
This is the biggest thing about Sauce.  If this was Rex's offense and he wanted a Revis type, then Sauce ALL DAY LONG at #4.  This isn't really that type of defense.  Saleh's wants to sack, hurry, pressure the QB, make the opposing QB run for his life and chuck a wobbly football while he's getting sacked.  That quacking duck is going to be picked off by guys in the secondary playing Zone (not Man) who are facing the LOS.
Please push back if I'm seeing this wrong but I think this has always been Saleh's approach.  Who were the stud CBs in SF?  They didn't have elite man-cover CBs there.  They invested in DLine with Bosa, Soloman Thomas, etc.

been saying this for months - not as well as you but ok….. only question is if gardner is highest rated player on jd’s board does he ignore his own internal rankings and go with other lower rated player? scheme fit does matter but still…… closing in on the answers finally!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Tony Tidbits

Today, 07:29 AM

From last nights conversation. Again, I am not saying these are all gospel or that I agreed w him on all of them...just passing them along.

1. Yes, Jets are making a Godfather offer to SF for Deebo. Hes not saying its a done deal...just saying the attempt is being made to overwhelm SF.
2. Thinks Jets top 4 targets are Ekwonu, Gardner, Walker, and JJ in that order.
3. Says Jets will NOT take Thibs...interest is a smoke screen.
4. Forget safety net...thinks Bechton is 100% gone if they draft a OT at 4 and 80% gone even if they dont. That the CS (not JD) is done w him, that they love Fant at LT and will draft a RT replacement if need be or could move AVT out there. (We argued on this one and I dont think he has any hard evidence that this is true)
5. Does not see Ekwonu as a great LT. Sees him as a all pro level OG, pro bowl level RT or solid LT. NOT a great LT
6. Very high on Gardner as an elite shut down CB1...says his ability to play with his back to the ball is what sets him apart.
7. Doesnt see Deebo as a great fit in our O. That Shanny had a unique way of using him and not sur LaF can do the same.
8. Loves Stingley but fears the foot
9. Thinks Walker can be the best pass rushing 43 DE in the game wht the right coaching...but see #15 below
10. Thinks Linderbaum will fall to rd 2 and he wants no part of him for the Jets. Small, short arms, got dominated in the Big10 title game.
11. Very high on JJ. Thinks he COULD fall to 10 but not likely.
12. Thinks 1-2-3 will be Ekwonu, Hutch, STINGLEY  and then the Jets take either Gardner or Walker at 4 if it falls that way.
13. Big Garret Wilson fan but thinks he will go 8 to Atl
14. Says if the Jets dont take an edge in rd 1 they should use the high 2 on the edge guy from Penn State. But agrees the annual passing on the elite edge rushers has become a bad joke.
15. As far as his Jets fandom, he has crossed over into Steppy Land. Once we stopped talking prospects and got into the Jets specifically he said none of this means jack sh*t because the Jets never get anything right, he has zero faith in this coaching staff and zero faith that Zach Wilson is the answer at QB. That JD got basically bullied by Woody into taking Wilson last year because he feared he would get fired if he went another year w Darnold and finished poorly. Sees no hope. Now this is a guy who has had season tickets for 45 years. A guy who has attended EVERY Jets home game since 1979. Whos vanity plate on his car is JetsFan1. And he's ready to pack it in once and for all. I sincerely hope Woody and the rest of the genius crew that runs that team realizes that they are a c*nt hair away from a large portion of this fanbase walking away if they F this up yet again.

That is all. I will probably talk to him once more before draft night and during the draft. T-Minus 36 hours!

river-cry.gif

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't believe for a second that Woody Johnson pushed Douglas to draft Wilson because there's noway Woody Johnson even knew who Zack Wilson was....and probably still doesn't know who he is.

And Douglas was starting the second year of a six-year contract.   I don't think even Woody would be that dumb to fire a GM after his second draft because no good GM candidates would want to come here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Tony Tidbits

Today, 07:29 AM

From last nights conversation. Again, I am not saying these are all gospel or that I agreed w him on all of them...just passing them along.

No mention of politics?  He used to looooove talking politics, far more than he did football, lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Am I wrong in saying that Saleh wants eyes TOWARDS the LOS with his secondary, not their backs to the QB?

This is the biggest thing about Sauce.  If this was Rex's offense and he wanted a Revis type, then Sauce ALL DAY LONG at #4.  This isn't really that type of defense.  Saleh's wants to sack, hurry, pressure the QB, make the opposing QB run for his life and chuck a wobbly football while he's getting sacked.  That quacking duck is going to be picked off by guys in the secondary playing Zone (not Man) who are facing the LOS.

Please push back if I'm seeing this wrong but I think this has always been Saleh's approach.  Who were the stud CBs in SF?  They didn't have elite man-cover CBs there.  They invested in DLine with Bosa, Soloman Thomas, etc.

I completely agree with this..

Which is why I've been so anti-gardner.

Just makes no sense to draft a player at 4 whose skill-set won't be used to its fullest potential.  It's not that he's not a great prospect - just not a great fit for Saleh's D.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Whenever I picture Tony Pauline, I picture the stereotypical exasperated, overweight, out-of-his-depth cop that yells "GET HIM OUTTA HERE!!!" when he sees Batman at a crime scene. 

Pauline was a decathlete looks to be in decent shape

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You are not seeing it wrong. But that said, if a defensive minded head coach can't adjust his "system" to be even better with a true shutdown corner (which I believe Sauce will be) then what good is the system. And wasn't Sherman in the same offense used as a shut down corner?

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You are not seeing it wrong. But that said, if a defensive minded head coach can't adjust his "system" to be even better with a true shutdown corner (which I believe Sauce will be) then what good is the system. And wasn't Sherman in the same offense used as a shut down corner?

I think the idea of adapting your system to fit your players would apply if a guy like Sauce was already here when Saleh arrived.  I'm sure he'd try to use him the best way he could until he could trade him or figure something else out.  But that's not where we are.  The Draft is a clean slate, the Jets are heading into Year 2 with their new defensive and offensive systems.  So with 4 picks in the top 38 they should be drafting the best talents for the schemes they deploy.  IMO that's why guys like Evan Neal (think Nascar) aren't as good a fit as Ekwonu (think Formula One).  It's why the don't want power blocking OLinemen, they want Zone blocking OLinemen.  And, it's why don't really prize those unicorn type man-to-man coverage CBs.  I have to constantly remind myself of this when looking at prospects.  There are some guys who simply fit much, much better than others even if they're ranked higher on consensus Draft boards.