Aidan Hutchinson available at 4? Edit (currently betting favorite to be Jets pick)

Rhg1084

This happens every year like clockwork. Leonard Williams was consensus best player and then dropped to us. Sam Darnold, who everyone thought was going first and no one even discussed the Jets as a possibility dropped to us. Now Hutchinson will drop to us and be worse than they guy we would have gone for had he not dropped.

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Who are the Saints trading up for?

Tackle to get ahead of the Giants and Panthers who are both firm candidate to take a tackle.

Big need, most other teams wouldn’t do something like that for a non QB but they did something similar for Davenport a few years ago. They’re aggressive.

Far more likely it does not happen but it does kind of line up and that trade they made was weird.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

He’s probably #1 on JD’s board.  

Unfortunately, probably on Detroit’s as well.

The ONLY thing I've really heard as a knock on Hutch is that his arms are slightly shorter than what you'd ideally want in an Edge rusher being taken #1 overall.  But at #4?  Sign me up!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Maybe not. Pump the breaks here a bit. Lets say it is true. Well in that case, 2 other EDGE prospects including one dogged by character concerns would have been taken ahead of in. You have to then ask why? Is there a character or medical issue that has not become common knowledge? Is he a poor interview or someone coaches think might not be very coachable?  Does he not love football? Every year someone drops unexpectedly and we sometimes learn why and sometimes don't. So it is not a no-brainer.

Nope, you don't ask why. If you haven't done your homework by now you are screwed. You think they're going to reevaluate everything they just spent a zillion hours examining? Hell no. You go by what YOU think not by what other people think. Most picks are the wrong ones anyhow. :)  Come draft night you stick to your board.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetty said:

I wonder why teams are passing on him?

Clearly this new front office is meticulous with the draft process and may see something the other teams see and pass on him  as well.

Some teams feel that while Hutch has a very high floor and is a safe pick, his ceiling isn't as high as guys with some better traits or physical attributes.  There are so many DEs in this Draft it's not guaranteed that Hutch is every single team's favorite.  Doug Pederson might also want to get an OT to support his second year prized QB Trevor Lawrence.

Look, it's the night before the Draft so who the **** really knows anything right now.  BUT... it was right around this time that the consensus 2018 #1 overall pick suddenly took a turn and nobody could believe it.  It was Darnold at #1 to the Browns for over a month until the Baker Mayfield rumors heated up in the last 24 hours.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Nope, you don't ask why. If you haven't done your homework by now you are screwed. You think they're going to reevaluate everything they just spent a zillion hours examining? Hell no. You go by what YOU think not by what other people think. Most picks are the wrong ones anyhow. :)  Come draft night you stick to your board.

By now, the Jets have reviewed every scenario, including Hutchinson dropping to 4.  Hell, they had him in for a 30 visit.  They have a board, like you say.  There shouldn’t be any debate on pick 4.  It all comes down to where they’ve ranked these guys.  If they pick Ekwonu, it will have been long settled under a scenario where Hutch dropped to 4.  Same with Gardner.  But it’s a good problem to have.  

I like Hutch, but I still lean Ekwonu at 4.  If the Giants go tackle or Gardner at 5, which is what I suspect they will do, then Hutch would drop to Carolina.  If the Jets like him enough, they could try to trade up with Carolina, who might happily drop back to 10 for one of our seconds.  If not, Johnson will be there at 10, having benefitted from Hutchinson dropping.  How much those two are separated on the Jets board will be key.  

Whatever happens, it’s going to be a wild moment on the board at 4.  Buckle up.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind if Stingley goes three, and if a QB goes top 10, then it is very likely that Jermaine Johnson drops to 10.  If he doesn’t that would mean that we get first choice of WR.  All good.   Whether Hutch and a WR, or Ekwonu and Johnson or 1st WR, I can live with either scenario.

3 edge plus 3 tackles plus 2 CB, plus QB=9.  Even without a QB, then 10 comes down to Johnson or 1st/2nd WR, whichever the Jets rate higher.

1 minute ago, Phillyjet said:

Keep in mind if Stingley goes three, and if a QB goes top 10, then it is very likely that Jermaine Johnson drops to 10.  If he doesn’t that would mean that we get first choice of WR.  All good.   Whether Hutch and a WR, or Ekwonu and Johnson or 1st WR, I can live with either scenario.

Supposedly the Giants are high on JJ.  There's probably a good chance that hey'll take an OL and an Edge with their 2 picks at 5 and 7

31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I have to admit that after I gave up really giving a damn about who the Jets draft, I find the whole process a lot more entertaining and amusing. 

You still care. Deep down, you do. 

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Supposedly the Giants are high on JJ.  There's probably a good chance that hey'll take an OL and an Edge with their 2 picks at 5 and 7

I still think a QB is going top 10, but even if that doesn’t happen in this scenario, then Jets would have pick of the wide receivers.  Hutch and Sauce have to go top 10, right? Unless you think Cross or Neal are dropping to 10.  If so, I’d have to think the Jets could trade back a couple of spots and still get one of the prime wide receivers.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

I still think a QB is going top 10, but even if that doesn’t happen in this scenario, then Jets would have pick of the wide receivers.  Hutch and Sauce have to go top 10, right? Unless you think Cross or Neal are dropping to 10.  If so, I’d have to think the Jets could trade back a couple of spots and still get one of the prime wide receivers.

I think Carolina is taking one, if I were JD I’d call and try to move up to 6 and get 2 blue chippers.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

But what dictates the Jets board- position or prospect. It’s a slippery slope. If they value edge as the top position to address, and their ‘pick’ is plucked, do they compensate and take the next best edge on their board or BPA on it. Let’s say They have eyes for Thibs and he’s gone, do they go with Walker or Hutch over a guy like Sauce who they have rated higher. It’s tricky and I just don’t think it’s so black and white. Just a lot of different combinations can come into play with the 4 & 10 if the player they want at either spot is gone. 

46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The ONLY thing I've really heard as a knock on Hutch is that his arms are slightly shorter than what you'd ideally want in an Edge rusher being taken #1 overall.  But at #4?  Sign me trex GIF

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They will need a cb over an edge I think. Their top cb is being traded so he must be replaced and they should have their choice of either Sauce or Stingley.  Can’t see either slipping past them at 7.

Just now, Mark78 said:
49 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The ONLY thing I've really heard as a knock on Hutch is that his arms are slightly shorter than what you'd ideally want in an Edge rusher being taken #1 overall.  But at #4?  Sign me trex GIF

53800642-3413-4BF4-8908-4AAE9ED1D2E9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

This happens every year like clockwork. Leonard Williams was consensus best player and then dropped to us. Sam Darnold, who everyone thought was going first and no one even discussed the Jets as a possibility dropped to us. Now Hutchinson will drop to us and be worse than they guy we would have gone for had he not dropped.

But Leo and Adams were the excellent players they were sold as. There's a reason they're among the highest paid at their position currently, even if they're both horribly overpaid. They just weren't premium positions and/or huge needs.

Hutchinson is. 

Unpopular opinion here, but if Hutchinson falls to 2 I think the Jets should give up 10 to move up for him. He’s the only guy that’s legit graded a top 10 pick in the draft. And I’m not even gaga for the guy, but this draft ******* sucks.