Aidan Hutchinson available at 4? Edit (currently betting favorite to be Jets pick)

A few logs to feed the Hutch available at 4 fire: 

1) 

I can't say I know who this guy is - but I found this link on a Lions board and they seemed to think hes legit...

2) https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2022-nfl-mock-draft-4-0-steelers-trade-up-for-lone-round-1-qb

Greg Zierlien is pretty plugged in w/ the Texans. I put a lot of faith in him saying Stingley would be the pick at 3 

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Hutch does fall to #4, would that open up a chance to trade down for something good?  I have to be vague on "good" because it sounds like a bunch of teams in the top 10 want to trade down.  But would Hutch be enticing enough for a team to make a big splash to acquire him?

That would be my preferred scenario. 

why trade down when the best player at a major position of need is sitting there for you to grab?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

why trade down when the best player at a major position of need is sitting there for you to grab?

If we could get a good haul back (due to Hutch being there), I'd rather take my chance on having more lottery tickets.  A lot of these guys don't live up to expectations.  e.g. Jadeveon Clowney was really highly regarded but he's on his 4th team by age 28.  

11 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

I want no part of Hutch.  Almost every player from that school ends up overrated and underperforming.  In fact I'd stay away from any B10 players in the first round in general the level of play is so much lower than the southern schools.  I mean look how many Ohio State busts we have drafted alone and they are the best of the B10.  This coming from a huge B10 (-1) fan.

tom brady says hi

as do charles woodson, ty law, steve hutchinson (no relation to aidan - aidan's dad is chris who also played in the nfl), brandon graham, frank clark, larry foote, leon hall, david harris, jon jansen, jumbo elliott, lamaar woodley, amani toomer, jim harbaugh and many others

btw - nick mangold wasn't a bust.  and i say that as someone who hates ohio state

GO BLUE!!!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we could get a good haul back (due to Hutch being there), I'd rather take my chance on having more lottery tickets.  A lot of these guys don't live up to expectations.  e.g. Jadeveon Clowney was really highly regarded but he's on his 4th team by age 28.  

already have 4 picks in the top 38.  i admit a bias (michigan alum), but i don't think you pass on a guy like hutch when we already have plenty of draft capital

Just now, jetblue95 said:

already have 4 picks in the top 38.  i admit a bias (michigan alum), but i don't think you pass on a guy like hutch when we already have plenty of draft capital

We have more holes than we have draft capital.  And I wouldn't mind adding some for next year.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have more holes than we have draft capital.  And I wouldn't mind adding some for next year.

well one of the biggest holes is an edge rusher.

i'd rather grab the guy most people consider the top edge than settle for the 4th or 5th best one.  granted if hutch is there at 4, that means it's likely 2 teams picked other edges, so they don't fall into the group of those who consider hutch the best edge in the draft.  but it also means that if we pass on hutch, that hutch, thibs and walker are likely off the board, with a chance JJ is grabbed before the jets get a chance to grab him (depends on how far down you are dropping - and the less you drop, the lower that additional pick(s) will be).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

tom brady says hi

as do charles woodson, ty law, steve hutchinson (no relation to aidan - aidan's dad is chris who also played in the nfl), brandon graham, frank clark, larry foote, leon hall, david harris, jon jansen, jumbo elliott, lamaar woodley, amani toomer, jim harbaugh and many others

btw - nick mangold wasn't a bust.  and i say that as someone who hates ohio state

GO BLUE!!!

Man there are some old timers on that list.  Try again within the past 20 years and make sure to plug in all the busts.

GO GREEN GO WHITE!

14 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Man there are some old timers on that list.  Try again within the past 20 years and make sure to plug in all the busts.

GO GREEN GO WHITE!

lol, i'd love to see a list of sparties that made a big impact in the league, especially in recent years

kirk cousins or tom brady - lol

on edit - 

michigan draft history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_Wolverines_in_the_NFL_draft

msu draft history (recent history makes for a quick read):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_State_Spartans_in_the_NFL_Draft

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

lol, i'd love to see a list of sparties that made a big impact in the league, especially in recent years

kirk cousins or tom brady - lol

Sure, but I did say avoid B10 players.  Last I checked my Green and White were included in that.  I mean other than Ohio State the B10 has not performed well in the playoff games which just shows the level of competition is lacking up north (See this years fantastic Georgia game....so much fun!).

12 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Sure, but I did say avoid B10 players.  Last I checked my Green and White were included in that.  I mean other than Ohio State the B10 has not performed well in the playoff games which just shows the level of competition is lacking up north (See this years fantastic Georgia game....so much fun!).

that's just a deeply flawed way to evaluate draft prospects.  

yes, the SEC teams are loaded with college talent.  they recruit at ridiculous levels and have very deep rosters filled with good players.  but there are many, many good players coming from every corner of the country.

heck, your boy kirk cousins is probably a better QB than anyone alabama has put in the league of late (maybe mac jones becomes cousins-like).

the best QBs in the league come from michigan, cal, oregon, texas tech, wyoming, oklahoma, wisconsin/nc state and so on.  other than burrow (who started in the big 10), there aren't any SEC guys unless you want to count ryan tannehill (and i think they were still big 12 when he played)

15 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

I’ll take either guy.  Whoever is there at 4.  To say we desperately need an Edge rusher is a massive understatement 

I agree.  My fear is if both are gone by the time the Jets pick.  then they will be trying to sell us on Johnson being the right guy at 4....

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

that's just a deeply flawed way to evaluate draft prospects.  

yes, the SEC teams are loaded with college talent.  they recruit at ridiculous levels and have very deep rosters filled with good players.  but there are many, many good players coming from every corner of the country.

heck, your boy kirk cousins is probably a better QB than anyone alabama has put in the league of late (maybe mac jones becomes cousins-like).

the best QBs in the league come from michigan, cal, oregon, texas tech, wyoming, oklahoma, wisconsin/nc state and so on.  other than burrow (who started in the big 10), there aren't any SEC guys unless you want to count ryan tannehill (and i think they were still big 12 when he played)

Well QB is the one position I'd agree that it is a poor indicator.  The QB position can be evaluated in a vacuum outside the team play it really is a unique position in a team oriented sport.  On the other hand I feel for the other positions level of competition certainly can provide details on how that will translate to the NFL where the overall talent level is the best of the college ranks.

39 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Well QB is the one position I'd agree that it is a poor indicator.  The QB position can be evaluated in a vacuum outside the team play it really is a unique position in a team oriented sport.  On the other hand I feel for the other positions level of competition certainly can provide details on how that will translate to the NFL where the overall talent level is the best of the college ranks.

ok, how about defensive players?

2021 defensive player of the year voting  - (1) tj watt (wisconsin), (2) michah parson (penn st), (3) aaron donald (pitt)

2021 all pro defensive team includes tj watt (wisc), nick bosa (ohio state), cam heyward (ohio st), micah parsons (penn st), and devondre campbell (minny)

nfl defensive player of the year (by school)

2021 - wisconsin

2020 - pitt

2019 - south carolina

2018 - pitt

2017 - pitt

2016 - buffalo

2015 - wisconsin

2014 - wisconsin

2013 - boston college

2012 - wisconsin

2011 - arizona state

2010 - usc

2009 - michigan

not a whole lot of SEC/Big 12 player in there

So according to my mock draft... if Hutchinson is available at #3 the Texans will trade back with the Giants. 
HOU has been rumored to want to trade back into the top-10 to grab a WR (and getting in front of ATL seems paramount to having their pick of the litter).  When they drop from #3 to #5 they can still land their target, Derek Stingley Jr. 

This scenario would explain the last minute tweets from Jets about NYJ having Stingley rated as their highest CB despite the weeks of tweets indicating otherwise.  But this is too little (of a bluff) too late. Houston gets their guy at #5, they get their preferred WR at #7, and get one of the Giants two 3rd round picks to boot.   The Giants get their OL and Edge and get to one-up little brother. 

NYG get (#3):  Aidan Hutchison

HOU gets (#5):  Derek Stingley Jr.

Hou gets (#7): Garrett Wilson

NYG get (#13): Trevor Penning

HOU gets (#81): They get a TE?

• Upvote 1