### The Official Round One Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thomas had 4 healthy seasons and then an ankle in year 5.  His brand of play has nothing to do with it.  Its football

Plus I doubt we are drafting players based on year 6 through 10 of their career.   You can only control rookies for 5 years and if they're really good you basically have a problem on your hand after year 3 if you don't give them a big contract.  Thomas's production in his first 5 years even with his injury last year was incredible. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

5 years 510 receptions, 5950 yards recieving, 32 TD's.  If London is Michael Thomas he's going in the top 5.  

Over and over the people that want so badly to criticize London do so in the most complimentary ways. 

We have the "here he is looking slow on a 43-yard reception" and now the "he's just like the 2x All Pro in his first 5 seasons guy".

It almost makes me want him more.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gotta love draft morning.  Based on info from the Jets either Gardner is ranked than Stingley.  Or the other way around.  Got it.

What this tells me is that the Jets don't value them the exact same

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think a good comp for London is Michael Thomas. But, like Michael Thomas, that brand of receiver spends his life on IR. It’s hard to make a living running slants to the middle of the field

Cosell’s comp is MT’s former teammate Marques Colston.

Big-bodied WR who had a nice career as a UDFA.

Not exactly what you’re aiming for with a top-10 selection.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Considering Becton was injured in the 1st Q or his 1st game in the system, did nothing wrong other than get rolled up on, how exactly does anyone know this other than to just say it?

I kind of agree with you.  I have killed Becton for his weight and tapping out of games.  He is certainly young enough to turn it around.  He also has great NFL tape as a rookie.  The thing about Becton is the noise coming out of the building.  I just get the feeling that Saleh and the coaching staff have soured on him.  I suspect Douglas hasn't and believes he has a lot of value.  

Young guys who can actually step in and play at a high level at LT have tremedous value.  No matter what the opinion is of him by the coaches Douglas isn't going to lose his value which is substantial.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I want nothing to do with any CB at #4, wasted pick. Yes, Sauce is talented. Its an irrelevant position in today's NFL. Shutdown CB's mean little. Any lineman on either side of the ball is the way to go in this draft. No WR's worth the pick either.

Hope we do well!

Ok, so WR is a premium position, but not guys who can cover them?

The Rams won the Super Bowl after trading multiple 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey.

I agree that no WR is worth the #4 pick in this particular draft.

Having watched this team have a popgun offense forever, sincerely hope that somehow they walk away with Deebo and either an edge or a corner when this evening is done. Gotta score points and have a dangerous passing attack. Samuel would be a huge step toward that. 

Hearing lots of chatter that Jets are not at all happy with Becton and he may never waer green again. 

Do not pick a safety do not pick a safety do not pick a safety do not pick a safety......

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ok, so WR is a premium position, but not guys who can cover them?

The Rams won the Super Bowl after trading multiple 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey.

They didn't win because of Ramsey, you're skipping most of their important moves like getting a real QB.

Yes, getting WR's is the key. Five receiver sets on most downs means one shutdown CB is worthless. You need a pass rush and you need o line.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I kind of agree with you.  I have killed Becton for his weight and tapping out of games.  He is certainly young enough to turn it around.  He also has great NFL tape as a rookie.  The thing about Becton is the noise coming out of the building.  I just get the feeling that Saleh and the coaching staff have soured on him.  I suspect Douglas hasn't and believes he has a lot of value.  

Young guys who can actually step in and play at a high level at LT have tremedous value.  No matter what the opinion is of him by the coaches Douglas isn't going to lose his value which is substantial.  

Becton is a proven beast in the run game.

He’s actually done it in the NFL.  

And he played LT pretty well as a rookie, even in pass pro vs the Bosas.

Drafting Ekwonu and dealing Becton could actually backfire.

it doesn’t matter how great a prospect looks.  Until they prove it in the NFL, you just never know.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shanahan isn’t going to trade for a tackle who clearly can’t play in his scheme, and all they’re really missing on that OL is a guard.

How do you know that?  Becton can kill people in the run game and has excellent quickness.  He played in a Zone system at Louisville and mauled people.  Douglas took him because of his combination of quickness, athletics and brute strength.   

We're all down on him because he can't stay on the field.  If he gets his head out of his backside he has outstanding ability regardless of scheme.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

They didn't win because of Ramsey, you're skipping most of their important moves like getting a real QB.

Yes, getting WR's is the key. Five receiver sets on most downs means one shutdown CB is worthless. You need a pass rush and you need o line.

Obviously you also need talent at those position groups to win.

Most teams have 1 alpha WR at best.

It opens up your playbook when you can leave your CB1 on an island instead of having to double or shade coverage with a safety all the time.

I’m not concerned about the other team’s WR4 or WR5.  They can throw it all day to Skowronek if they want as long as Kupp never sees the ball.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Becton is a proven beast in the run game.

He’s actually done it in the NFL.  

And he played LT pretty well as a rookie, even in pass pro vs the Bosas.

Drafting Ekwonu and dealing Becton could actually backfire.

it doesn’t matter how great a prospect looks.  Until they prove it in the NFL, you just never know.

Personally I would trade him and a 2nd for Deebo and draft Neal.  Just think he's way more committed and has had great coaching.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Considering Becton was injured in the 1st Q or his 1st game in the system, did nothing wrong other than get rolled up on, how exactly does anyone know this other than to just say it?

You’re going to shower love on Becton all the way up until 9:30 tonight when they trade him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

My prediction: move out of four (trade with the Saints or Eagles), pick best edge at 10, WR and DT or LB in the teens, then what wasn't selected (DT or LB) plus RB in round 2. 

Like the trade, but we have to add an OT somewhere.

For those that have watched alot of Williams, who is your player comp? Granted, I haven't watched much, but is it wrong that I see a lot of Robbie Anderson in his game? Would you take that at 10? 

I get wanting a guy that can take thr lid off of the defense, but this draft is loaded with speed at WR. 

I'd grab London in the first, then grab a speed guy in the mid rounds. Alternative, flip a mid/late pick for Robbie after grabbing London.  This would give us a solid diverse WR group.

2 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

For those that have watched alot of Williams, who is your player comp? Granted, I haven't watched much, but is it wrong that I see a lot of Robbie Anderson in his game? Would you take that at 10? 

I get wanting a guy that can take thr lid off of the defense, but this draft is loaded with speed at WR. 

I'd grab London in the first, then grab a speed guy in the mid rounds. Alternative, flip a mid/late pick for Robbie after grabbing London.  This would give us a solid diverse WR group.

Completely different level of YAC ability compared to Robby. He's closer to Desean Jackson IMO.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

How do you know that?  Becton can kill people in the run game and has excellent quickness.  He played in a Zone system at Louisville and mauled people.  Douglas took him because of his combination of quickness, athletics and brute strength.   

We're all down on him because he can't stay on the field.  If he gets his head out of his backside he has outstanding ability regardless of scheme.  

I’m presupposing because he sucked so hard last summer, didn’t bother suiting up for the season, and they’re going to trade him tonight.

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Obviously you also need talent at those position groups to win.

Most teams have 1 alpha WR at best.

It opens up your playbook when you can leave your CB1 on an island instead of having to double or shade coverage with a safety all the time.

I’m not concerned about the other team’s WR4 or WR5.  They can throw it all day to Skowronek if they want as long as Kupp never sees the ball.

From the tape Sauce looks really good. He needs a pass rush though to help him out. Teams cannot just take away one WR and expect to win.  Days long gone by. I'll support any pick

41 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Cosell’s comp is MT’s former teammate Marques Colston.

Big-bodied WR who had a nice career as a UDFA.

Not exactly what you’re aiming for with a top-10 selection.

Colston had 6 seasons over 1k receiving yards.

His average season for his first 8 years(per 17 games ) until he hit the dreaded 30 years old Colston averaged 88 catches for 1200 yards and 9 TDs.  I’d be running to the podium for that production at 10. 

• Upvote 2

tom welling spoiler GIF

I've got nothing to add except I've already started my yearly tradition of watching Draft Day. No matter what happens our team gets better tonight. Happy to be watching it alongside all (most) of you.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Here a good list of WRs with 4.5+ 40 times. There are more, but this was an easy copy paste, lol.

DeAndre Hopkins: 4.57s in 2013

Height: 6’1

Weight: 214 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 5

Pro Bowl appearances: 6

Davante Adams: 4.56s in 2014

Weight: 212 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 3

Pro Bowl appearances: 5

Mike Evans: 4.53s in 2014

Height: 6’5

Weight: 231 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 8

Pro Bowl appearances: 4

Antonio Brown: 4.56s in 2010

Height: 5’10

Weight: 186 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 7

Pro Bowl appearances: 7

Demaryius Thomas: 4.52s in 2010

Height: 6’3

Weight: 224 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 5

Pro Bowl appearances: 4

Dez Bryant: 4.52s in 2010

Height: 6’2

Weight: 225 lbs

Pro Bowl appearances: 3

Cooper Kupp: 4.62s in 2017

Height: 6’2

Weight: 204 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 2

Pro Bowl appearances: 1

Allen Robinson: 4.6s in 2014

Weight: 220 lbs

Kenny Golladay: 4.5s in 2017

Height: 6’4

Weight: 218 lbs

Jarvis Landry: 4.65s in 2014

Height: 5’11

Weight: 205 lbs

Pro Bowl appearances: 5

JuJu Smith-Schuster: 4.54s in 2017

Weight: 215 lbs

1,000-yard seasons in the NFL: 1

Diontae Johnson: 4.53s in 2019

Height: 5’10

Weight: 183 lbs

Tyler Boyd: 4.58s in 2016

Weight: 197 lbs

Pro Bowl appearances: 0

Courtland Sutton: 4.54s in 2018

Weight: 218 lbs

Michael Pittman: 4.52s in 2020

Height: 6’4

Weight: 223 lbs

Pro Bowl appearances: 0

Michael Thomas: 4.57

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

haha!  Which I'd obviously be fine w/ ultimately.  

I love the idea of how nasty Saleh can get with a DL that includes Davis and Thibs.  From 1st to 3rd down, the Jets would suddenly have a scary front.  They cant get beefy to play the run w/ JFM/Davis/Williams/Lawson and they can get nasty on 3rd w/ Thibs/JFM or Davis/Williams/Lawson and that's they type of front that makes this D click for Saleh.  

I'd also like to preface, now that I've put this out there, this is most certainly not going to happen, so if you hate the idea of Thibs and Davis, you're welcome.

Yeah I can get behind this in my Jets fantasy brain.  Pick up BAP OT and RB in the 2nd, BAP WR in the 3rd, and go Sack Exchange + Ground and Pound!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Gotta love draft morning.  Based on info from the Jets either Gardner is ranked than Stingley.  Or the other way around.  Got it.

I consider that a possible reveal. Parkinson leaking that Stingley is high on the Jets board on day of draft?  Trying to nudge Stingley to the the Texans?  Draft odds on Sauce just improved a bit. 

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m presupposing because he sucked so hard last summer, didn’t bother suiting up for the season, and they’re going to trade him tonight.

Agreed but if he's in shape and committed he has more upside and has put more good tape on film than any of the prospects coming out tonight.   The Jets coaching staff last year didn't exactly make anyone beleive they can develop players.  There are actual NFL coaches who believe they can, Shanahan being one of them.  

44 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

Jamo doesn’t track the ball as well as Robbie.

He’s vastly superior in pretty much every other area though other than health.

Robbie has been an NFL Ironman.

Jamo’s hands are a bit concerning as well. 

• Upvote 2