### The Official Round One Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

#4 - If it's Jermaine Johnson I'm bringing out the whiskey to drown my sorrows.

I'm very torn on Drake London, think he's a boom/bust type that's too big a risk at this point. If it's WR here my choice would be Williams and then Wilson.

Nightmare - Johnson/London

I'm done with this team if it is JJ and London. Total Nightmare. JD, don't touch Jermaine. I agree on Williams and Wilson over London. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, when I say “system,” I don’t just mean the scheme on the field—I also mean the types of guys that they want to coach. Saleh and Shanahan are close personal friends. Do we think Saleh is gonna give Becton a letter of recommendation on his way out the door? Besides, the Niners have Trent Williams and Mike McGlinchey at tackle. They just drafted a guard in round two last year. They don’t even need Becton.

McGlinchley had a very severe injury and reports in April are he has lost a ton of muscle mass and might be under 250 pounds.  He may still have a long way back. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve been following this team for over 55 years now, and is probably the most important draft for me as a fan.

I’m running out of time for rebuilds, and I don’t think we’ll have too many more opportunities like this to turn things around. That’s why I was hoping we would’ve made the Deebo trade.
Douglas needs to nail at least 3 of these top 4 picks, and Zach has to start balling out.
That’s a lot of if’s and needs to’s. One sure thing would have been nice.

you nailed it

19 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

Buttcrack sports eh. Doesn't get any more legit than that.

13 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Must be the sister account of Ballsack Sports

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IKR.  However, their sister twitter account ButtCrackSports does have a blue skid mark.

Meme Reaction GIF

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think we end up with Ekwonu and Deebo, and Becton gets moved for a two, which we use to move back into the first for Karlaftis.

This would be incredible. 

We'd still have plenty of draft capital to address other needs.

The 2019 draft class was a disaster. Own it and move on. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

For those that have watched alot of Williams, who is your player comp? Granted, I haven't watched much, but is it wrong that I see a lot of Robbie Anderson in his game? Would you take that at 10? 

I get wanting a guy that can take thr lid off of the defense, but this draft is loaded with speed at WR. 

I'd grab London in the first, then grab a speed guy in the mid rounds. Alternative, flip a mid/late pick for Robbie after grabbing London.  This would give us a solid diverse WR group.

Comparisons are so hard. But hoping for something like DeSean Jackson or Ceedee Lamb.

16 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

??? I'm just stating my opinion. Not sure what more I was supposed to say....lol

Honestly I have no idea as a self proclaimed draft dunce. Yet, all I heard is how Saleh’s defense depends on a pass rush and after losing  Lawson last year the defense was horrific. So easy conclusion, we need some pass rushers. I like to see different people recommending different ones so hopefully whomever we end up with provides what we need. 

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

This is a Draft even Maccagnan couldn’t fook up. So I’m waiting to see how we can.

I don't see this that way at all.

There's no QB to push other talent down.  It's day of, and there's no clear #1 pick.  The first round is filled with 2nd round talent.  The "best" WR is injured.  One of the top WRs wouldn't run.  The best pass rusher has been 3 different players.  The (current) top OLine is a better run blocker than pass blocker.  One of the top two CBs hasn't been good in years.  The BAP Safety tested like crap and could easily fall out of top 10.

My opinion is this draft is absolutely awful.  Will there be some good players?  Of course.  But finding them is sort of anyone's guess at this point.

I guess I could see an argument where it's hard to screw up because we're bad at so many positions that even mediocre talent at our top 4 picks will be an improvement.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

We’ll so far no major trades today. You would think the main driver for deals later will be teams trading up to draft a Qb. We’ll see if this happens or teams like NEP did last year wait and draft someone at their position like with Mac Jones. It worked out for them. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Anyone know what's on the Hallmark Channel tonight? Looking for something to watch tonight.

My problem is I am going out to dinner tonight with my brother, who arrives in VT around 8PM on the train. Then, I accompany him and his two 70+ year old friends, who all hate professional sports of all kinds, for two hours of mind numbing prattle. So when I get back at 11PM, I'll just bring up this site to see all the fireworks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

My problem is I am going out to dinner tonight with my brother, who arrives in VT around 8PM on the train. Then, I accompany him and his two 70+ year old friends, who all hate professional sports of all kinds, for two hours of mind numbing prattle. So when I get back at 11PM, I'll just bring up this site to see all the fireworks.

If you see this, it didn't go well.

image.png

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Are going to be watching picks on your phone? I'm usually not too interested in spending the whole night watching the draft (I dvr it and watch it in 10 minutes), but tonight I'm all in.

I'm assuming there will a few comments for you to catch up on when you get back, just a few.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Are going to be watching picks on your phone? I'm usually not too interested in spending the whole night watching the draft (I dvr it and watch it in 10 minutes), but tonight I'm all in.

I'm assuming there will a few comments for you to catch up on when you get back, just a few.

If I peek at my phone too often, I'll catch hell about it. I'm hoping the restaurant has a TV above the bar where I can discretely glance at it and see the carnage unfold.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

There's no QB to push other talent down.  It's day of, and there's no clear #1 pick.  The first round is filled with 2nd round talent.  The "best" WR is injured.  One of the top WRs wouldn't run.  The best pass rusher has been 3 different players.  The (current) top OLine is a better run blocker than pass blocker.  One of the top two CBs hasn't been good in years.  The BAP Safety tested like crap and could easily fall out of top 10.

My opinion is this draft is absolutely awful.  Will there be some good players?  Of course.  But finding them is sort of anyone's guess at this point.

I guess I could see an argument where it's hard to screw up because we're bad at so many positions that even mediocre talent at our top 4 picks will be an improvement.

Sorry but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you, like me, watched approximately one hour of college football in 2021.

With that being the case your post is officially invalid.

21 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Way to keep the faith, EY.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Plus I doubt we are drafting players based on year 6 through 10 of their career.   You can only control rookies for 5 years and if they're really good you basically have a problem on your hand after year 3 if you don't give them a big contract.  Thomas's production in his first 5 years even with his injury last year was incredible. 

Funny thing is we compare a 6' 2"+ QB and call him too small and will crumble but a 6' 5" WR isnt big enough to survive based on an ankle to a 6' 3" WR.  How does that work?

I cant think of a single scenario where you wouldnt be overjoyed with Michael Thomas type of production with a WR.  I'd sign up right now, any Jets fan should

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Sorry but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you, like me, watched approximately one hour of college football in 2021.

With that being the case your post is officially invalid.

Do you disagree that there are more ??? at the top of this draft than usual, and no top tier QB to push other players down?  Just based on what you've read during 'draft season?'

27 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Outside of QB pretty much the same thing with most drafts.

Just now, ZachEY said:

Do you disagree that there are more ??? at the top of this draft than usual, and no top tier QB to push other players down?  Just based on what you've read during 'draft season?'

I also remember reading that the 2017 draft class was super weak up top, especially at QB 

color me skeptical about most conventional wisdom. It’s all guesswork. 

• Upvote 1