### The Official Round One Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I preferred Karloftis or Lloyd, but it's still and Edge.

Hopefully not a problem-to-be if the gang reporting was about him.

Will try and be optimistic but this one moves me less than Sauce and Wilson.  

I think that may have been about Karlaftis.  ?

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

It’s going to be interesting see how we use our remaining cap space. The Honey Badger would be a good addition.

If you drop Nakobe Dean at 38 and Mathieu on this defense, how good could this defense be? That’s a massive turnaround

• Upvote 3

My biggest question today is around Garrett Wilson. The Jets probably could’ve tossed 10 at Tennessee, gotten AJ Brown, and still came away with JJ in the trade up. I have no questions about Sauce and JJ. I just hope Wilson turns out great.

Regardless, tonight is an A+

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

Because the jets are not going to pay him $25-30 million per year

That's the going rate for top WRs and what we'll be paying Wilson if by the grace of God he works out.

Just seems silly to me that all these teams trading up for WRs would kill to have that WR turn out as good as AJB, but they neglected to trade for 24 year old AJ Brown. Whatever. I hope Wilson is awesome, but it's not what I would have done.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Wow. This is better than any draft scenario I played out over the past few months. Unreal. 

Yeah this is huge. Couldn't imagine getting what we ended up with. Just blown away, and absolutely thrilled with how the night went.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Troll said:

That's the going rate for top WRs and what we'll be paying Wilson if by the grace of God he works out.

Just seems silly to me that all these teams trading up for WRs would kill to have that WR turn out as good as AJB, but they neglected to trade for 24 year old AJ Brown. Whatever. I hope Wilson is awesome, but it's not what I would have done.

In 5 yrs we'll trade him for a 1st rd'er and other picks... & draft his replacement the year prior... it's all cyclical. 

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They didn’t have a center is why they did it.

Here’s the other question: would they have been better off keeping Bozeman (Carolina got him for just $2.8MM for the year), and then use that 1st rounder on another position? Maybe, maybe not, but it’s debatable at a minimum. 

Linderbaum is going to cost 2.4 mil cap hit but a 6.8 mil signing bonus.

Gardner is getting 21.5 mil signing bonus and over a 6 mil cap hit. these rookie guys arent that cheap.

My thoughts are the following.  This was an exceptionally tough draft to navigate for a GM and I think it might go down as one of the great GM career killers, b/c the difference between pick 5 and pick 100 is very small (and there will be potential HOF players in this draft that are taken later).

Sauce (or Eck) at 4 were the safe picks.  You lose a little value b/c he probably would have gone a little higher in any other year (like 7-10), but Sauce is a great player and relatively safe pick at a position of need and it makes sense.  Barring some sort of crazy trade down for a host of picks, I like the pick.  I also think it was a pretty obvious one.  Another implication is that it probably means they have more faith in Becton than reports led us to believe, b/c I do think Eck was the best player in the draft.

Pick 10 is my least favorite.  Garret Wilson is basically a Moore sidegrade, and i've been worried about the pick for months.  He fits the offense, and is a solid player, but we definitely lose value here (compared to Moore in the 2nd).  In another draft he probably goes like 20.  He's not really going to transform your team either.  A truly elite WR1 will continue to be a need for the Jets, but I do expect him to be a top 20 player barring injuries (and his frame makes injuries a problem) and that's ok I guess.

Of course the JJ trade is the big crowd pleaser.  He is a very good player that imo will be a better player than our pick10.   Maybe not a truly transcendent edge, but we now have a pretty potent attack between Lawson, JJ and JFM.  Now, could we have gotten him or something similar 10 picks later?  The loss of a 3rd rounder in this draft sucks, b/c there are A LOT of talented players left that are not that far removed from JJ's caliber.

I don't know.  Overall, I give Douglas an A- and I like that he was relatively conservative with how he protected his draft value.  He really is an excellent GM that understands how to balance things properly (and isn't completely careless with his picks like Idzik or incompetent like Mac).

• Upvote 1