### The Official Round One Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

I feel like we hear this all the time, though, lol.

I just want this time to be different, ya know?

I don’t think I’ve been happy with a jets draft in 16 years. So… this isn’t your avg blowhard reaction 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I went to sleep half way through because who can actually sit up and watch 4 hours of calling names out and cliches?  But to wake up to Jermaine Johnson is so sexy.  And you're welcome.  For months I've said Sauce/JJ, I switched up to Thibs/Davis so I didnt do the JiF jinx.  And we got Wilson too!  What a night! 

JD is a god.

You should watch the PFF or BR coverage on YouTube. It’s deeper level of discussion than the regular garbage u get on NFL or ESPN, and no commercials.

Okay, this might be controversial, but how about Metchie at #38.  He was the #1 at Alabama, arguably more important to that offense than Williams before his own ACL injury.  He is a legit first round talent.

No, Jets don't need another wideout, but that would be a killer lineup of WRs.

And, yes, we have other needs.  Would be an interesting pick.

50 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

I guess we'll see

I love Dean, but I also question his fit on the Jets roster.  Douglas invested draft capital in oversized safeties/undersized linebackers last year.

So, even if he's available at 38, and I'd love to see him in Jets green, I would probably say pass.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robert Saleh: Trade down to 15 didn’t matter, Jets would’ve drafted Will McDonald at 13

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2023, 6:19 AM EDT

As part of the Aaron Rodgers trade, the Jets moved down from the 13th pick to the 15th pick in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft. Jets head coach Robert Saleh says that didn’t matter.The Jets took defensive end Will McDonald at No. 15, and Saleh told Rich Eisen that McDonald would have been their pick at No. 13.

“The difference between 13 and 15 in the way everything shook out made no difference to us,” Saleh said.

That flies in the face of the widespread belief that the player the Jets wanted was offensive tackle Broderick Jones, who went No. 14 when the Steelers traded up with the Patriots to get him. But if Saleh is to be believed, McDonald was the guy they wanted all along.

>>   https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/09/robert-saleh-trade-down-to-15-didnt-matter-jets-wouldve-drafted-will-mcdonald-at-13/

1 hour ago, jtomm said:

Robert Saleh: Trade down to 15 didn’t matter, Jets would’ve drafted Will McDonald at 13

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2023, 6:19 AM EDT

As part of the Aaron Rodgers trade, the Jets moved down from the 13th pick to the 15th pick in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft. Jets head coach Robert Saleh says that didn’t matter.The Jets took defensive end Will McDonald at No. 15, and Saleh told Rich Eisen that McDonald would have been their pick at No. 13.

“The difference between 13 and 15 in the way everything shook out made no difference to us,” Saleh said.

That flies in the face of the widespread belief that the player the Jets wanted was offensive tackle Broderick Jones, who went No. 14 when the Steelers traded up with the Patriots to get him. But if Saleh is to be believed, McDonald was the guy they wanted all along.

>>   https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/09/robert-saleh-trade-down-to-15-didnt-matter-jets-wouldve-drafted-will-mcdonald-at-13/

Did anyone expect Saleh to say anything different?

Another team nearly stole Will McDonald from the NY Jets in the draft

By Justin Fried | May 10, 2023

The NY Jets received their fair share of criticism following their selection of Iowa State edge rusher Will McDonald with the 15th overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

McDonald was widely seen as a potential late Day 1 prospect, and most analysts didn't even have him as the top available edge rusher at the time the Jets drafted him. That honor would likely have gone to Georgia's Nolan Smith, who would be drafted 15 picks later by the Philadelphia Eagles.The media doesn't always see players the same way as teams, however. That seemed to be the case with McDonald. In fact, one NFL team was prepared to trade up and select McDonald had the Jets not beat them to the punch.

Mike Kaye of The Charlotte Observer reported shortly after the draft that the Carolina Panthers "were high on" McDonald and planned to trade up into the back half of the first round to select McDonald if he was still available.As fate would have it, the Panthers wouldn't get that opportunity. The Jets made sure he didn't fall any further than the 15th pick in the draft.

Will McDonald and the NY Jets are hoping to prove their doubters wrong

It was easy to question the McDonald pick at the time. The Jets were a year removed from selecting a rotational edge rusher in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft, and adding McDonald to an already stacked defensive end room seemed counterproductive.The team didn't address a position of need, and they "reached" on a prospect who most mock drafts had going in the late first round. Some mock drafts had him falling out of the first round entirely. But again, the NFL values players differently than the media.

The Jets saw McDonald as a player worthy of the 15th overall pick. He wasn't a fallback option, either. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reported last week that the Jets planned to select McDonald, even if Georgia offensive tackle Broderick Jones was still on the board.Jones, who was selected one pick earlier by the Pittsburgh Steelers, was seen as one of the top offensive tackles in this year's draft. You'd be hard-pressed to find a player who was mocked to the Jets more frequently throughout the pre-draft process.

Despite this, the Jets fell in love with McDonald and saw him as someone who hadn't even come close to reaching his potential at Iowa State. The hope is that McDonald can prove them right in due time.

The Jets were higher on Will McDonald than most in the media, and as it turns out, other NFL teams were as wel

>  https://thejetpress.com/posts/panthers-stole-will-mcdonald-ny-jets-draft

• Upvote 1