Raiders Eyeing Up Becton as a trade Target

This is the article he is referring to.  Basically a Raiders writer quotes Cimini and is then speculating

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/28/jets-lt-mekhi-becton-could-be-possible-trade-target-for-raiders/?taid=626a95e80e82b80001a237a4&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Jets LT Mekhi Becton could be possible trade target for Raiders

Marcus Mosher 
April 28, 2022 6:24 am PT

Evan Neal? Malik Willis? Who we think will go first in the 2022 NFL draft | Clear Play

The Raiders have already made two big trades this offseason, acquiring Davante Adams and Rock Ya-Sin. But could they make another during draft weekend?

In a recent article by Rich Cimini of ESPN, he wrote about the draft plans for the Jets and what that might mean for former first-round pick Mekhi Becton. Here is a snippet of his thoughts on what the Jets might do tonight:

“If the Jets draft Ekwonu (or Alabama tackle Evan Neal, for that matter) over the top available defensive player, it will raise questions about Becton’s future.

Could Becton get traded during the draft? Never say never in the NFL. It would be a shame to trade a player who was drafted 11th overall only two years ago, a player with obvious talent, but the feeling could change if Ekwonu or Neal falls into their lap. It would be a bad optic for the Jets, who have traded every first-round pick from 2014 to 2018.”

The Raiders are obviously searching for some offensive line help and they won’t be able to grab anyone close to as talented as Becton at No. 86. So, could a trade take place if the Jets do select Neal or Ekwonu? It’s certainly possible.

He could quickly improve their right tackle spot and would give them a mauler in the run game. Becton needs to be able to stay healthy, but he is one of the most physically gifted offensive linemen in the NFL.

Keep an eye on this situation over the next few hours, as Becton could suddenly be on the trade block for the Jets.

• Upvote 4

The can only trade Becton after selecting either Ickey, Cross or Neal.  If they do trade Becton after taking Ickey, then they still have to take another tackle in rounds 2 or 3 as we will need a legitimate swing tackle for depth.

You cant trade Becton and then have Fant or Ickey get hurt and have Egoda in there for the year.  Joe aint that stupid.

• WTF? 2

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is having 3 OTs a problem?

Saved our ass last year.

Draft one, keep Becton, extend Fant. Discuss the OT situation again next March.

It is definitely a luxury that a 4 win team may not be wise to have. Imagine the Jets draft Ikwonu and he sits while getting acclimated and Becton returns to being a beast and Fant takes off where he left off. We then draft Jameson Williams who won't be ready to play until November. So, one top 10 pick is riding the bench (he won't be better out of the gate than Becton or Fant since he's a rookie) and another that is rehabbing an injury. How will Jets fans take the fact that our two top 10 players aren't playing - even though 2023 will be great. I mean, how many years should we have to throw down the drain?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

My preference is to keep Becton.  Play him a year at RT and revisit things then.

The Raiders, in particular are a crap trade partner.  They have no 1st or 2nd round picks this year.  I can't see them parting with their 2023 first round pick and even if they would, it hurts us this year as we'd have to use 4 on an LT just to tread water.

And can you imagine how much better he will get from the day before we trade him to the day after?  If not, have no fear, Raideraholic will fill you in with charts.

Have you not read this board? Becton is fat and lazy, and needs to be traded while at his lowest value. No way does that equal a 1st or 2nd rounder. 3rd of 4th at best. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Becton will be highly motivated for his 5th year/second contract if the Jets draft Ikey.

Roll with the three Ts, don’t worry about drafting another one, see how Becton and Fant roll and then get another T next year when Fant or Becton move on.  it is not a terrible strategy.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greensleeves said:

It is definitely a luxury that a 4 win team may not be wise to have. Imagine the Jets draft Ikwonu and he sits while getting acclimated and Becton returns to being a beast and Fant takes off where he left off. We then draft Jameson Williams who won't be ready to play until November. So, one top 10 pick is riding the bench (he won't be better out of the gate than Becton or Fant since he's a rookie) and another that is rehabbing an injury. How will Jets fans take the fact that our two top 10 players aren't playing - even though 2023 will be great. I mean, how many years should we have to throw down the drain?

Out of Fant and Becton, let’s say that is 34 potential starts between them.  How many games do you think the two of them start combined.  I would say 20-25.  that leaves 12-17 for Icky to start.  

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The can only trade Becton after selecting either Ickey, Cross or Neal.  If they do trade Becton after taking Ickey, then they still have to take another tackle in rounds 2 or 3 as we will need a legitimate swing tackle for depth.

You cant trade Becton and then have Fant or Ickey get hurt and have Egoda in there for the year.  Joe aint that stupid.

The same JD who brought in GVR?

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Have you not read this board? Becton is fat and lazy, and needs to be traded while at his lowest value. No way does that equal a 1st or 2nd rounder. 3rd of 4th at best. 

Unfortunately, I read the board more than is good for anyone's mental health.  I just happen to disagree with the prevailing opinions.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Becton will be highly motivated for his 5th year/second contract if the Jets draft Ikey.

Roll with the three Ts, don’t worry about drafting another one, see how Becton and Fant roll and then get another T next year when Fant or Becton move on.  it is not a terrible strategy.  

Becton has at least 2 season left, hes going into year 3, not 4

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, as soon as a player has the nerve to get injured, I say hes a bust and dump his ass.   Forget all the good tape he put up as a rookie.  Best part is ignore the tape, take the player you used an 11 overall on, trade him for a low 2nd and then use a top 10 on his replacement.

Then scream our team hasnt got a clue

I’ve said from day one Becton wasn’t going to be good. Early last year I said he’s better at RT and got laughed at. Becton doesn’t have the heart or desire to be great. Nothing has proven otherwise 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You're not serious are you?

You want him to draft a tackle at #4 and then draft another tackle on day 2?

I don't even have the words, which is saying something. You'd add a veteran tackle if you were that worried, not use a day 2 pick - potentially another top 40 pick ffs - on a backup tackle.

A rookie day 2 tackle to back up a rookie top 10 pick tackle, as though that's the only alternative to Edoga (who's currently the OT4, mind you) seeing the field. Wow.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just a tough thing as Becton does have perennial all pro ability.  Tough to give up on a guy that soon but it would be a very ballsy move to do so.

There is also no guarantee that the next can’t miss high drafted tackle like Icky or Neal can’t disappoint as well. At least we know when Becton was healthy he showed great promise. Trading him doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Hex said:

Don't know what to think of this. Part of me wants more picks or players, but part of me also wants to give Becton a second chance.

See, at this point it is highly unlikely that both top OTs Neal and Icky are gone by the 4th pick. So, jets can comfortably trade Becton and take the OT that is there at 4 and make that player the starting RT, and extend Fant to be the e long term LT for the next 3 years or so. What would be great is if the Raiders give us a good package of picks and maybe even a player for Becton.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec143dmf said:

I’ve said from day one Becton wasn’t going to be good. Early last year I said he’s better at RT and got laughed at. Becton doesn’t have the heart or desire to be great. Nothing has proven otherwise 

And you could have said it before day one and you'd still be wrong.  When he was on the field he looked like a future perennial pro bowl LT.  That was without the benefit of OTA's, camp & preseason.  And under Gase.  

Funny no one has all these move him to RT quotes before last season, better yet, before last preseason.  What name were you using last spring?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2