Raiders Eyeing Up Becton as a trade Target

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The can only trade Becton after selecting either Ickey, Cross or Neal.  If they do trade Becton after taking Ickey, then they still have to take another tackle in rounds 2 or 3 as we will need a legitimate swing tackle for depth.

You cant trade Becton and then have Fant or Ickey get hurt and have Egoda in there for the year.  Joe aint that stupid.

You have to be kidding. You want to spend a day 2 pick, a pick who should start on day 1 on a backup? That is what the 6th round is for. 

• Upvote 2

Becton is a bust trade him while u can - another year of not being productive does not help the jets on the field or his trade value

just kills us that joe picked him over wirfs - if we had wirfs then we can definitely go edge rush then wr 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Trade him to the Raiders for their TE Waller.

I love Waller as a player, but he was drafted in 2015. Did nothing for 2 years.  Was suspended in 2017 for substance abuse. Did nothing in 2018. And then exploded on to the scene in 2019 and had 2 incredible years. He then missed camp in 2021 with some mysterious issue (some speculated it was a mental health or substance abuse issue) and then got hurt in the middle of the year and will be 30 in 2022. 

For Becton? Sure. Why not? But I don't see him as a long term solution to our TE issue and we just brought in 2 (albeit average) veteran TEs. Not sure we are in the market for Waller. 

• Upvote 2

it's not up to me whether or not they keep or trade becton.  but it certainly seems like douglas is open to trading anyone as long as the price is right.  hard to say if becton really fits into lafleur's system.  he hasn't had much time at lt so it's almost like he's a rookie this next season.  one thing i know i wouldn't do is use the 4 pick on oline even if becton was traded.  as best, use the 10 or one of the high 2nd rounders.  and bring in a vet for rt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Have you not read this board? Becton is fat and lazy, and needs to be traded while at his lowest value. No way does that equal a 1st or 2nd rounder. 3rd of 4th at best. 

Fat, lazy LT with ability go in the second half of the first round.   

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

My preference is to keep Becton.  Play him a year at RT and revisit things then.

The Raiders, in particular are a crap trade partner.  They have no 1st or 2nd round picks this year.  I can't see them parting with their 2023 first round pick and even if they would, it hurts us this year as we'd have to use 4 on an LT just to tread water.

And can you imagine how much better he will get from the day before we trade him to the day after?  If not, have no fear, Raideraholic will fill you in with charts.

you really think were getting a 1st or 2nd for Becton? if we trade him we are calling him a bust after 2 years. reports are that he has a weight problem. there is no way we get that for him. plus he looks injury prone. too many red flags for that. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The can only trade Becton after selecting either Ickey, Cross or Neal.  If they do trade Becton after taking Ickey, then they still have to take another tackle in rounds 2 or 3 as we will need a legitimate swing tackle for depth.

You cant trade Becton and then have Fant or Ickey get hurt and have Egoda in there for the year.  Joe aint that stupid.

thats why you keep Becton and have him play RT and draft someone in rd 3 or beyond. there is no way we can draft a OL in rd 1 and then again in rd 2 or 3. you cant use 2 out of our 1st 5 picks on the OL.

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

It is definitely a luxury that a 4 win team may not be wise to have. Imagine the Jets draft Ikwonu and he sits while getting acclimated and Becton returns to being a beast and Fant takes off where he left off. We then draft Jameson Williams who won't be ready to play until November. So, one top 10 pick is riding the bench (he won't be better out of the gate than Becton or Fant since he's a rookie) and another that is rehabbing an injury. How will Jets fans take the fact that our two top 10 players aren't playing - even though 2023 will be great. I mean, how many years should we have to throw down the drain?

You trippin? Remind me please when Becton was a beast?

In camp when Lawson was using him as back scratcher?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're not serious are you?

You want him to draft a tackle at #4 and then draft another tackle on day 2?

I don't even have the words, which is saying something. You'd add a veteran tackle if you were that worried, not use a day 2 pick - potentially another top 40 pick ffs - on a backup tackle.

A rookie day 2 tackle to back up a rookie top 10 pick tackle, as though that's the only alternative to Edoga (who's currently the OT4, mind you) seeing the field. Wow.

I don't even ..... Namath gave Sperm a mini stroke.

If the Jets were planning on moving Becton they should have kept Moses but they didn't. That tells me the Jets do want to keep Becton and its going to take a lot for a team like the raiders to pry him away . At least that's what Douglas is probably shooting for/ If Douglas gets a haul for Becton he's off the hook for picking this guy in the first place. Lets see how it plays out since this could all very well be horse sh*t rumors

Becton is a huge part of the reason why I’m not excited for this draft

Douglass had Wirfs handed to him, everyone here wanted Wirfs.

and now here we are 2 years later possibly taking a LT with a top 5 pick

get rid of him, just like Maye always reminded me of not taking Cook, Becton will always be a bad reminder

id take a second and be very happy with that 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love Waller as a player, but he was drafted in 2015. Did nothing for 2 years.  Was suspended in 2017 for substance abuse. Did nothing in 2018. And then exploded on to the scene in 2019 and had 2 incredible years. He then missed camp in 2021 with some mysterious issue (some speculated it was a mental health or substance abuse issue) and then got hurt in the middle of the year and will be 30 in 2022. 

For Becton? Sure. Why not? But I don't see him as a long term solution to our TE issue and we just brought in 2 (albeit average) veteran TEs. Not sure we are in the market for Waller. 

We just signed 2 capable TE's that should grade out nicely as a combo deal I dont think there is any way we target Waller and if they offer him they can shove it.

3 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

get rid of him, just like Maye always reminded me of not taking Cook, Becton will always be a bad reminder

Douglas went for the bigger ceiling and for the dominant Run Blocker it didnt pan out nor do I think it will if we keep Becton

3 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

The Raider Wire is circulating an article stating that they are looking to swing a deal for Mekhii Becton. No specifics on what the Silver and Black crew are offering. There is a second story from the Draft Network says that Bechton could be moved to Indy, Chicago or Seattle. Seeing as these are unrelated sources it looks good that Douglas is shopping Mekhi around.

Journalism is dead. 

14 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I vividly remember the draft thread when we selected Bacon, @HawkeyeJet I believe almost had an aneurysm, and rightfully so. 

I was sitting on the couch bitching for an hour straight about how he was the 1 guy I didnt want JD to select, I looked my buddy dead in the eye and said "just watch"... 

"Jets select Mekhi Becton"

My buddy looks at me and says how TF did you know that? I looked back at him and just said... 

"They're the Jets man" 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Douglas went for the bigger ceiling and for the dominant Run Blocker it didnt pan out nor do I think it will if we keep Becton

Bigger ceiling than a pro bowler which wirfs is ? I expect joe to take online at #4 which is insane considering he has had two drafts so far and one of them he used a top pick already on the position- what is next a qb at ten to replace Wilson lol

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is having 3 OTs a problem?

Saved our ass last year.

Draft one, keep Becton, extend Fant. Discuss the OT situation again next March.

I’m in the keep him camp. I want to see him back, and healthy. That might be fools gold though.

If they really are down on him we’re better off getting what we can now, and moving on.
We can’t wait until next March to “revisit it”. If we know for sure after this season he’s a bust, so will everyone else, and we’re not getting anything back for him.

22 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

LOL what is this nonsense?? You aren't excited about a draft where you team has 4 picks in the top 40 because OMG they missed out on a better player taken right after 2  years ago. That only happens, every single year to EVERY team. 

46 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You trippin? Remind me please when Becton was a beast?

In camp when Lawson was using him as back scratcher?

Rookie year - you forget so easily - he was dominant on occasion pancaking some of the best pass rushers in the NFL. You remember training camp but forget actual games - geesh. Becton has perennial All Pro ability - sorry to burst your bubble. He has a higher ceiling than Ikwonu.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

you really think were getting a 1st or 2nd for Becton? if we trade him we are calling him a bust after 2 years. reports are that he has a weight problem. there is no way we get that for him. plus he looks injury prone. too many red flags for that. 

There are no reports that he has a weight problem.  Just Jets fans who think he does and keep repeating it over and over and over.  

Have not read the thread and while I think the idea is cute I think people forget Beckham plays well on the field so I’d rather keep them I suppose as I said I have not read the thread so not sure what the details are but let’s keep the draft guy that JD has

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There are no reports that he has a weight problem.  Just Jets fans who think he does and keep repeating it over and over and over.  

thats cool.

but you dont trade the 11th pick in the draft and draft his replacement at 4 or 10 and give up on him after 2 years if there isnt something very wrong. so whatever is the problem with Becton its too risky for another team to give up a 1st or a 2nd. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

thats cool.

but you dont trade the 11th pick in the draft and draft his replacement at 4 or 10 and give up on him after 2 years if there isnt something very wrong. so whatever is the problem with Becton its too risky for another team to give up a 1st or a 2nd. 

But they haven’t traded him.  Not even a rumor

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 3:04 PM, WestCoastMole said:

The Raider Wire is circulating an article stating that they are looking to swing a deal for Mekhii Becton. No specifics on what the Silver and Black crew are offering. There is a second story from the Draft Network says that Bechton could be moved to Indy, Chicago or Seattle. Seeing as these are unrelated sources it looks good that Douglas is shopping Mekhi around.

You want the big fella, Vegas?  Four 1st rounders + Alex Leatherwood.  Plus we get the rights to Wayne Newton and Celine Dion for performances at MetLife 3x a year.  

• Haha 1