### The Official Day Two Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Breece Hall wouldn’t shock me at all.  I’ve heard that he has some serious love in the building.

That is great to hear - This would be an amazing pick.  Kid is taylor made for this offense.

Unfortunately I don't think he's going to be there.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the bigger problem with Mims was/is effort.

I’m not sure what it is. I watched a few YouTube videos of full games just focusing on mims and he seemed to be giving solid effort. Gave 100% when blocking which is a sign that he’s trying. 

Im guessing he just needs to work on film room stuff and learning the playbook. It seemed like he was running the wrong routes and sometimes didn’t know what he was supposed to do. Hopefully having his first actual offseason in training camp etc will correct some of his issues. 

Im high on him because of his fantastic tools, he just needs to get his head around the playbook/routes/ etc it seems like 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If no Nakobe Dean then they should trade back. 

Thats all i got.

Came to post the same. Assuming we don’t take him (and maybe that’s the right move) - we should try and and recoup another day 2 pick. Grab an ILB like Chad Muma, DT Winfrey and TE Ruckert/RB Strong 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Drafting a RB here is one of those things where I would be surprised but not shocked. They look at Carter as a legit RB1 but as we saw yesterday, they drafted Sauce despite really liking Hall and Echols because they think he has superstar potential. 

I would think Hall over Walker, but I don't know any specifics there. 

More likely, I'm expecting a day 3 RB. 

as bad as they were last season...they were much worse when Carter was out.  If he goes down again they could risk all the good they are trying to do here....they need Hall - another late round Perine is not going to cut it, Ty is not going to work....etc...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Came to post the same. Assuming we don’t take him (and maybe that’s the right move) - we should try and and recoup another day 2 pick. Grab an ILB like Chad Muma, DT Winfrey and TE Ruckert/RB Strong 

#38 seems about where someone might want to grab one of the QB's. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

If no Nakobe Dean then they should trade back. 

Thats all i got.

I think the opposite the 2nd and 3rd I prefer identifying players and getting them not trading back and taking dart throws...I like that philosophy after the third when the draft is more of a crap shoot.   I hope they trade up today and have 3 picks. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

m guessing he just needs to work on film room stuff and learning the playbook

Yeah, this is what I meant by effort.  

Not learning the playbook, not learning multiple positions.  

Obviously we're not there and this is all speculation but based on the things we heard from Saleh it just seems like this was the case.  

I, for one, would be excited for a Watson pick.

Weird, weird question for a 4 win team, but are we in a position to take a luxury pick in RD 2 today?

Hear me out.  I think only GLARING need I see is LB.  So there is Dean at 38 which is a no brainer.

Assume he’s gone though, has Douglas done enough through draft and FA to take a huge swing?  Could he shock with Breece Hall?  Take a swing on Obajo?  Take the North Dakota WR and let him learn for a year?  Those are just names, but you get the drift.  Insert your favorite name left at a position that currently might be filled, I think those type of players have to be considered tonight, whether at 38 or after moving back.

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping for Breece Hall to tag team with Michael Carter and provide a dynamic and dominant run attack...to counter those Nasty Nine QBs and their potent offenses. 

With those two-way TEs Jets acquired in FA...Garrett Wilson at WR...plus the additions to the OL of hogs like Becton and Tomlinson...Jets can play 12 man personnel...and ram the rock down their throats.  Keep the ball for long stretches and execute play action way more effectively.  Allow the defense to not be gassed in the 4thQ.  And use that extra gas in the tank...to go menace opposing QBs.  Thus win a lot more games Jets couldn't last year. 

The run game in a Shanahan style WCO...gives Jets a chance to be competitive against superior teams.   Because it stays with the same exact formation whether it's executing a run or pass play.   Forcing opposing defenses to keep more run personnel on the field to try and counter the run.  Allowing play action to be way more effective...when you have that strong run game.  

It's no coincidence...that Shanahan's 49ers offense...using that kind of effective run attack...has been able to reach the Supe and a NFCCG...in two of the last three years.  All with a limited armed...immobile QB...like Garoppolo.   ZW...with his mobility and arm talent...can be way more effective in this style of offense.  And now he has a juiced up OL and weapons to do so.

Jets are just a swing tackle away...and a backup-future starting center...from being able to implement that Shanahan WCO to perfection. 

This is why I hope Jets go get Breece Hall baby.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Weird, weird question for a 4 win team, but are we in a position to take a luxury pick in RD 2 today?

Hear me out.  I think only GLARING need I see is LB.  So there is Dean at 38 which is a no brainer.

Assume he’s gone though, has Douglas done enough through draft and FA to take a huge swing?  Could he shock with Breece Hall?  Take a swing on Obajo?  Take the North Dakota WR and let him learn for a year?  Those are just names, but you get the drift.  Insert your favorite name left at a position that currently might be filled, I think those type of players have to be considered tonight, whether at 38 or after moving back.

I think douglas will want to take an impact player regardless of position.  The obvious positions where need meets value at 38 are lb and rb.  Since rbs are typically devalued in this system i gravitate towards lb.  He could legitimately enter the 3rd round having drafted 4 starters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

this team spends most of its time in nickle and dime defense, rarely do they use 3 lb- so which LB are you looking to upgrade so desperately?\  mosely or Williams?

7 minutes ago, undertow said:

I think the opposite the 2nd and 3rd I prefer identify players and getting them not trading back and taking dart throws...I like that philosophy after the third when the draft is more of a crap shoot.   I hope they trade up today and have 3 picks. 

If you could be sure a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be good then they’d be 1st rounders. 

Evaluations get broader at this point with more larger and larger player pools at each grade. Take more players and find more success that should be the game plan.

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

#38 seems about where someone might want to grab one of the QB's. 

Yup.  Gonna have to get ahead of Seattle to get a QB.  Although if Dean is still on the board at 38, just take the Dawg.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Agree with the premise about trading back, not sure the Jets really need another DT though. They have JFM, Rankins, Marshall, Thomas , Q, Smart , Shepherd. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Breece Hall wouldn’t shock me at all.  I’ve heard that he has some serious love in the building.

I would be very pleased!

Hall/Carter (and dump several (but not all) of the JAG other RB's to free us roster spots) would be IMO a very effective support for Wilson in the running game.

Wilson/Hall were my top two desired Offensive Weapons for Wilson this draft.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

this team spends most of its time in nickle and dime defense, rarely do they use 3 lb- so which LB are you looking to upgrade so desperately?\  mosely or Williams?

Realistically both.  Moseley will be gone after this year I assume.  While Williams has the physical tools, he’s still incredibly raw and was average at best last year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Mosely is gone after next season when they have an out on his contract. The depth behind him and Williams are converted safeties. The cupboard is bare. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If you could be sure a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be good then they’d be 1st rounders. 

Evaluations get broader at this point with more larger and larger player pools at each grade. Take more players and find more success that should be the game plan.

Yeah I have always thought the talent pool falls off dramatically after the 3rd round around 100 players you should really be relying on scouting more than taking dart throws....I like that philosophy after the third.  When you start taking dart throws in the third you end up with Denzel Mims and James Morgan when there's top talent on the board. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Realistically both.  Moseley will be gone after this year I assume.  While Williams has the physical tools, he’s still incredibly raw and was average at best last year.

and next year there will be another draft, another FA period....

in this draft we need some immed starters

btw you could say the same about LT, C, and S

6 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Mosely is gone after next season when they have an out on his contract. The depth behind him and Williams are converted safeties. The cupboard is bare. 

dont get me wrong I want a LB too (Chenal) but if they take him he will rarely see the field except for ST unless injury or beat out williams

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think we can take a luxury pick at 38.

Assuming Zach hits, the Jets still need starting FS, starting LB, starting DT, depth at OL, and a RB/TE one of which should be an impact player. If the Jets feel Hall is a difference maker, take him. We can take care of the OL depth and TE with the rest of the picks.

Next year we can finish the team by getting our MLB and FS and fixing whatever else breaks this year.

We need to compete this year. But next year is the start of championship window and we should have a complete team by then. 

• Upvote 1