### The Official Day Two Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Wilson has no excuses this year, through free agency and the draft Douglas

has totally reloaded every offensive position.  Amazing job

Why do people always say it this way. Why cant we say something like Zach has all the tools to reach his potential? It just sounds like you expect him to fail. It bothers me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why do people always say it this way. Why cant we say something like Zach has all the tools to reach his potential? It just sounds like you expect him to fail. It bothers me.

Exactly.  Its always, "Wilson has no excuses."  Can we get a list of players who get excuses?

Zach is a 2nd year qb.  He is going to go through struggles this year no matter how many weapons he has.

Be patient jet fans.  My goodness.

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I mean, he’s not wrong.

At the very least, he has an above average OL, Hall and Carter sharing the bulk of the duties behind him and dudes like Wilson, Moore, Davis, Uzomah and Conklin in the passing game…

This isn’t like the last decade where the Jets have saddled dudes like Sam and Geno with sh*t and told them to go out and make filet mignon out of it…

I’m a big believer in the talent that Zach has to offer. Even as a rookie he showed the kind of stuff that only maybe 5 other QB’s in the league are capable of physically showing…but it’s now Year 2 and you’re no longer surrounded by a roster full of slap dicks.

He SHOULD show more.

He WILL show more.

And it’s going to be some great sh*t to witness when most Jets fans are legitimately stunned to witness what is about to come their way…

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Because people would always make an “excuse” with our past QBs. Not enough weapons, no OL, bad OC/HC, etc. 

On paper this team looks pretty decent and def enough talent to be competing. The pressure is now on Saleh and Zach to turn this thing around. 

• Upvote 1

What’s most amazing to me is JD is drafting depth now and meshing roster building tactics.

Ruckert is interesting — he’s not going to play much this year unless he blows the doors off this sh*t. He’s going to sit and learn and play some but he will not start one game this year. He’s part of the depth now but really is the future as he is controlled for years at cost. There are 2 well paid and touted FA TE pickups that will be the dudes this year and likely next year.

Sauce — technically this pick is a day 1 starter but he’ll have to take it from Bryce Hall and in any case the pick creates depth behind him if he starts. 

JD has benefited from a lot of draft capital and shrew resource management / trades to leverage each year but that’s done now. I like the idea of selling high and recouping assets…

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Agree. 

I'm so happy for Zach.  He has a very good  Shanahan WCO to operate.  All that's needed is a little more OL depth and it's perfection.  His mobility and arm talent will shine with the talent he's been surrounded with.   

This offense can compete against defenses.  Can dominate with that Hall-Carter tandem running it.  Play action for big chunk plays will happen this year off of a strong running game.  That's how a Shanahan WCO likes to implement the passing game.

Zach is ready to roll.   25+ TDs and low INTs...like around 8.   He's been preparing.  Working out.  Film study.  Meeting his mates and practicing with them.  While ZW been doing all this...JD had been preparing to assemble the tools on offense.  Giving Zach an arsenal of weapons.  And people don't realize Jets added two hogs to the 2021 OL...with Becton and Tomlinson.  

Zach will emerge from the 2022 season...as FQB NYJ.

• Upvote 1

The “Zach has no excuses” crowd thinks he will fail but I don’t care.  They want him to succeed more than I do.

The Jets were hot garbage last season for many reasons and I think Zach showed why he will succeed - so I don’t mind the different view.   Time will tell and I strongly believe the Zach Wilson Fan-club is right and they are wrong lol.

I just wanted JD to give the kid a chance and I think he has.  Zach will be able to show more of who he is as a player and that’s a good thing.  

For example @Snell41 and I argued lots about but on this point we agreed 110%.  That’s awesome and we will see lots next season!  M

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Can’t speak for @KRL, but as someone who also said something similar…Yes, I expect him to fail.  And if he does there would be no legitimate excuse for him to do so other than his own suckage.

Yet…I hope I’m proven wrong.  I hope to see an enormous leap so we don’t have to go QB shopping again any time soon. 

Wow, well **** my life.

Woke up and expected some defensive played (I’d have been happy with that).

But to see Joe has went in with a TE, and one I rate too, in Ruckert.

Now there can be no excuses for Wilson, who’s simply had his offense considerably improved.

Atta boy Trader Joe, now time to get it working on the field.

excited about the Jets? Who Dis!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, docdhc said:

I agree with you but I understand what they’re saying here. The narrative last year was it’s hard to judge the rookie QB with such a poor roster around him. Now with so many upgrades we can more accurately judge his performance. It’s not about him making excuses but rather people in the past making excuses for him. If he doesn’t make big strides now it’s a reflection on his talent and potential not on those around him. 

Maybe it's the choice of words and presentation of those words that don't seem like how you're presenting.

NO, EXCUSES, ZACH - seems like someone that's expecting and, if I didn't know any better, hoping for failure.  But I can surely be misreading it.

Look, I agree with the concept you're laying out - Zach Wilson should be expected to take a big stride this year.  The team around is, on paper, seriously upgraded.  If healthy this is a complete roster - with no holes I can see.   Heck even if this roster wasn't complete - same team as last year - you should still have expected Zach to make serious strides.  

But then again no excuses for the other guys either...

Moore needs to stay on the field - and not be quiet the first 5 weeks

MC needs to be available to play

Becton needs to play

Davis needs to catch the ball 

AVT needs to start playing at a pro-bowl level.

TE's need learn this offense quickly.

Hall and GW should be expected to pick up the offense faster than the rooks last year (as the whole team was learning something new last year)

Maybe it's the choice of words and presentation of those words that don't seem like how you're presenting.
NO, EXCUSES, ZACH - seems like someone that's expecting and, if I didn't know any better, hoping for failure.  But I can surely be misreading it.
Look, I agree with the concept you're laying out - Zach Wilson should be expected to take a big stride this year.  The team around is, on paper, seriously upgraded.  If healthy this is a complete roster - with no holes I can see.   Heck even if this roster wasn't complete - same team as last year - you should still have expected Zach to make serious strides.  
But then again no excuses for the other guys either...
Moore needs to stay on the field - and not be quiet the first 5 weeks
MC needs to be available to play
Becton needs to play
Davis needs to catch the ball 
AVT needs to start playing at a pro-bowl level.
TE's need learn this offense quickly.
Hall and GW should be expected to pick up the offense faster than the rooks last year (as the whole team was learning something new last year)
LB is a hole. Interior OL is a hole. Interior DL is thin.

Oh there are holes.

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

LB is a hole. Interior OL is a hole. Interior DL is thin.

Oh there are holes.

I referenced O where there are no holes.  

and, IMO,  IOL there's not a hole - McGovern, AVT and Tomlinson are, at worst, good players - none of which I would call a hole.

The D still has a couple - yes.  I think it's S and LB (JFM will move inside) - grabbing a depth piece at DT will happen in FA.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:50 AM, football guy said:

RB is a very interesting debate, but more likely I think that happens on Day 3

JD surprises again. Is the Value between a early Day 2 pick (38) in Hall vs. Strong at 104th (Pats #127) worth it in your eyes?

If we went another position at 38, still took Ruckert at 101 and took Strong at 111 or 117 do you feel that would have been better use of resources. I guess what I’m asking is if Hall talent/productivity worth the talent we passed at 38..

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

JD surprises again. Is the Value between a early Day 2 pick (38) in Hall vs. Strong at 104th (Pats #127) worth it in your eyes?

If we went another position at 38, still took Ruckert at 101 and took Strong at 111 or 117 do you feel that would have been better use of resources. I guess what I’m asking is if Hall talent/productivity worth the talent we passed at 38..

I love the Breece Hall pick personally. I didn’t think they would do it

I’ve admired the way the Browns have built their offense with depth at TE and RB. It feels like we’re replicating that, but we’re more talented at WR

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1