Jermaine Johnson - Press Conference

Maxman

DJ Bien-Aime, New York Daily News: How does this moment feel knowing that you started off at a junior college, then transferred from Georgia to now being a first round pick?

It feels amazing man. The journey was so long and hard, but it was so rewarding at the same time. To be able to be selected in the first round and to be able to be on the Jets, like I’m so excited. When I met and visited with the Jets, it was a family feel. We clicked instantly and they said they’d come get me and that’s what they did. I’m so excited to come there and work.

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: Jermaine, when they didn’t take you at 10, did you kind of start thinking like maybe it wasn’t going to happen with the Jets? Or did you remain confident they were going to trade back up and try to get you?

I wasn’t really sure, but I mean they said they’d come get me and that’s what they ended up doing. I never got beside myself or anything. I was just excited, reminding myself I’m in the green room, I’m in the NFL Draft, it was just an amazing time and I’m so glad the Jets came and got me.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Jermaine, what do you consider the strength to your game?

How equal my game is. I don’t really have any deficiencies in my game in my opinion, it’s really even. I’m not going to be a guy that can play the run but can’t rush the passer or rush the passer but get stoned in the run. I can do it all and I’m excited to bring that to New York.

Dan Leberfeld, Jets Confidential: Do you think the transfer helped your draft stock?

I’m not sure, but I know that it was extremely rewarding, and I was able to give something to another program in Florida State other than just making plays or on the field stuff, I was able to give more and leave a lasting impression there. That was what was awesome for it for me.

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: You’re joining a pretty solid defensive line now with Carl Lawson, John Franklin-Myers, Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins. Do you know any of those guys? I know it’s pretty immediate that you’re a Jet, but have any of those guys reached out to you yet?

I haven’t looked at my phone since I’ve been selected. I’m not sure, but I’m sure that they have. I don’t know any of them right now, but like you said, it’s a pretty loaded room and I’m excited to be a part of that group.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Jermaine, there were so many projections that had you going pretty high. As 10 passed with the Jets and the time went, what was that like for you? Was that kind of an anxiety period at all? What’s going on in your mind when you’re sitting there?

No, I’m strong in my faith. I’m a religious man and I know that I was going to be where I was supposed to be. Sure enough, I’m with the Jets now and I’m where I’m supposed to be.

Brian Costello, New York Post: What was it about your visit with the Jets or what was it about the time in your pre-draft process that made you think this was a fit?

It was just how they made me feel I was wanted and how it was just reciprocated, how we felt about the game, about defense, about how it’s supposed to be played. Everything was clicking and from everybody, from Joe Douglas to the GA’s. Everyone had the same idea of me and it was awesome to be in an organization like that.

Brian Costello, New York Post: What do you think the Senior Bowl with the Jets coaching staff meant to this, what was that experience like working with them there?

I actually was on the Lions team, and then I left early. So, I actually never got to work with the staff. When I went on my top 30 visit, we definitely had a blast and we were hanging out having a good time, for sure.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: What do you make of the defense that the Jets run? Obviously, Robert Saleh is very, very heavy duty on the front, defensive front. How does that fit for you?

It fits perfect, it fits perfect and vice versa. I’m excited to go in there and work and just be the best teammate I can be, be Jermaine Johnson. I’m excited to get there and be Jermaine.

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: What was your phone call like with Robert Saleh just now when they put him on the phone?

It was awesome. He said, “What did I tell you? What did I tell you when you left my office?” I said that you guys would come and get me. And he’s like, “I didn’t lie, we came and got you. We’ve been trying to get you all night.” So, it was pretty awesome.

Joey Chandler, NJ Advance Media: You mentioned you just have to go there and be Jermaine Johnson. So, who is Jermaine Johnson? What does that mean?

You can look at my journey. I like to say my journey really speaks to my character, just how long it was, all the obstacles I had to overcome. And, more importantly, me not giving up. That’s just my nature, I’m competitive in everything and obvious I’m competitive in life. I’m excited to bring that competitive nature to the New York Jets.

• Upvote 4

I'm personally concerned about the whole age thing, and wish we had just grabbed someone today without giving up draft capital.  I'm still a little scarred over the whole "Mims fell into our lap" experience, so I gotta wonder why so many teams skipped on a  "top 10 talent".?

But of course I'll be rooting to be proven wrong and hope the kid is a monster . . .

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

we didnt give up too much to go up and get a guy who they had ranked a lot higher. the jets had the best round 1 in the league honestly. top corner, top receiver and top pass rusher. 3 major needs have been addressed and all with top prospects. and we still have some nice picks left for today

Very true.  Just wondering why he fell . . .

34 minutes ago, Loki757 said:

You're personally concerned about him being 23 when he season starts? LOL.

Jets fans are something else.

You do realize that has been a knock on him for months, right?  That a lot of his production in college was coming against "kids" much younger than him, right?

Jets fans are something else . . .

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

You do realize that has been a knock on him for months, right?  That a lot of his production in college was coming against "kids" much younger than him, right?

yeah but these "kids" are bigger and stronger than they have ever been before. This aint the days of yesteryear where the kids didnt have the training and nutrition staff to help them develop their bodies until they get to the league. A lot of that is draft season rumors where they tear down these players. If the worst thing about this kid is that he is 2 years older then I'm not at all concerned. I cant think of any actual data that says kids are more likely to bust when they get drafted older.........it's scuttlebutt.

I think we got a hard working winner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

yeah but these "kids" are bigger and stronger than they have ever been before. This aint the days of yesteryear where the kids didnt have the training and nutrition staff to help them develop their bodies until they get to the league. A lot of that is draft season rumors where they tear down these players. If the worst thing about this kid is that he is 2 years older then I'm not at all concerned. I cant think of any actual data that says kids are more likely to bust when they get drafted older.........it's scuttlebutt.

I think we got a hard working winner. 

So you don't think a 21 year old is stronger/better at football two years later?  I hope that's the case, because we've already lost out on those two years.

But like I said, there's gotta be some reason why a "Top 10 Talent" dropped to 26 (even if that reason proves to be wrong) . . .

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

I'm personally concerned about the whole age thing, and wish we had just grabbed someone today without giving up draft capital.  I'm still a little scarred over the whole "Mims fell into our lap" experience, so I gotta wonder why so many teams skipped on a  "top 10 talent".?

But of course I'll be rooting to be proven wrong and hope the kid is a monster . . .

They barely gave up anything to move up. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I think most watching last night had the same question.  Other than pure speculation or nonsense, have you heard or seen any reason why he dropped?

Probably because most of the teams that needed a DE had already addressed it earlier in the draft. There were a ton of DEs in this draft

Oh I guess I just did pure speculation there didn't I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Probably because most of the teams that needed a DE had already addressed it earlier in the draft. There were a ton of DEs in this draft

Oh I guess I just did pure speculation there didn't I

Speculation is good, too.   Or else Max closes this place.

I don't know.  Still seems weird.  And I actually like the pick.  The kid is impressive.  I would not have minded if we took him earlier.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

So you don't think a 21 year old is stronger/better at football two years later?  I hope that's the case, because we've already lost out on those two years.

But like I said, there's gotta be some reason why a "Top 10 Talent" dropped to 26 (even if that reason proves to be wrong) . . .

I dont think that is a blanket statement. Some kids are bigger and stronger at 20 (Becton) than any 23 yr old on the field. It's a factor, not THE factor. 

It's silly season, If you dig deep enough you can find reasons any of these kids drop. No different than why some players dont get picked until rd 2, or 3......doesnt mean they wont light up the league. In fact most of the star players in this league has enough knocks on them to drop past the first round. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

7 - 10 serviceable years, next complaint please. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I don’t know why he “fell” from all the informed pre draft mocks and he probably won’t be the next LT, but we filled a need and his press conference was good. Now he is a Jet and I’m behind they guy and hope he excels. I also liked the description of the phone call. It’s a good feeling to be told something and then have it happen.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Because the needs of the teams picking before us were different?

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Honestly, man, if someone is bigger and stronger, then they are bigger and stronger. Age has little to do with that because they are different people. 20 year olds can be better and stronger than 23 year olds. He’s not playing with the under 16s. I’m sure at some point he outclassed an opponent because he was older, but I don’t think that would have happened often enough to be a concern. I believe it can be an advantage, but at this level I doubt it moves the needle very much. It’s the draft, anything and everything gets discussed ad nauseam. 

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Because the needs of the teams picking before us were different?

That's fair, but someone isn't usually called a "Top 10 talent" if they're not expected to go in the top 10 picks.

I don't watch college football at all, so I have nothing to go on except the concerns I've heard from posters here about his age.  Couple that with the fact that a lot of teams passed on him, I don't see why the concern is all that offensive.

This is a middle-heavy draft, and I wouldn't have minded keeping 35 and 69.  If the player pans out then that becomes irrelevant, and if he doesn't I'm confident life will still be worth living . . .

10 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

That's fair, but someone isn't usually called a "Top 10 talent" if they're not expected to go in the top 10 picks.

I don't watch college football at all, so I have nothing to go on except the concerns I've heard from posters here about his age.  Couple that with the fact that a lot of teams passed on him, I don't see why the concern is all that offensive.

This is a middle-heavy draft, and I wouldn't have minded keeping 35 and 69.  If the player pans out then that becomes irrelevant, and if he doesn't I'm confident life will still be worth living . . .

He was not considered a top ten talent most of the offseason.  Most mocks had him even going late first or even second. After the senior bowl he really helped himself.  Guys rise and fall all the time.  Some even had issues with him leaving Georgia, as if he was a quitter or something or couldn't handle the competition for minutes.  Really stupid take but again that is some of the speculation on him.  I see a hard working kid who was not handed anything on a silver platter, wanted the opportunity showcase his talent and went to Florida State.  In some ways it is similar to Jameson Williams leaving Ohio State and going to Alabama, where he excelled.   I am not concerned in the least regarding Johnson.  He was drafted really were many had him pegged a few months ago.  Being a mid first round pick is nothing to quibble about.  I don't care about him "falling" in the draft.  I am damn glad he did and now he is a Jet.  We may have just drafted the two best defensive players this team has seen in over a decade. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, neckdemon said:

we didnt give up too much to go up and get a guy who they had ranked a lot higher. the jets had the best round 1 in the league honestly. top corner, top receiver and top pass rusher. 3 major needs have been addressed and all with top prospects. and we still have some nice picks left for today

JJ very slick as an edge rusher, but unlike Thibs, you wont see too many ball carriers getting around JJ.  They have to play the games and prove out, but I would not be the least bit surprised if JJ turns out to be the most valuable of all the Jets 2022 draft picks.  He's got the chops. 

• Upvote 4

"An NFC director of pro personnel told The Athletic that some teams were concerned that Johnson had just one year of college production and it came in the ACC. They didn’t like that he had more sacks than pressures considering that sacks aren’t stable. That led to his fall. The Jets didn’t care. Some in the building had a higher grade on him than Kayvon Thibodeaux, who went No. 5 to the Giants. Saleh said he’s a perfect fit in his wide-nine defensive front. He’ll contribute from the start."

32 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

JJ very slick as an edge rusher, but unlike Thibs, you wont see too many ball carriers getting around JJ.  They have to play the games and prove out, but I would not be the least bit surprised if JJ turns out to be the most valuable of all the Jets 2022 draft picks.  He's got the chops. 

Yep.  Will it turn out that Thibs rotates in on passing situations and is a vulnerability on the run ala Aaron Maybin?  Maybe. His film showed that that was a concern coming into the pros.  No such concern with JJ. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I love that we got him but do find it interesting that Ebikeite, Mafe and Ojabo are available going into round 2.

Kingsley Enagbare

"Enagbare was one of the highest-graded pass-rushers in the country over the past two seasons, recording an 89.2 pass-rushing grade in 2020 and a 92.5 mark in 2021. While he's not the kind of athlete who hears his name called early, Enagbare has the violent hands to be productive in the NFL."

Now that we know Douglas was trying to trade up for Johnson starting with pick 15, it is amazing how unified the coaches, front office and fanbase were with this idea.

Most Jets fans were like we got to trade up.

Joe Douglas and crew were like, we got to trade up.
Saleh was like, trade up and get my guy.

The football gods came through.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

I think the whole old age thing for any drafted player is overrated.

Second contracts for players  are becoming increasingly hard to get because of perceived value, unless you’re a QB.

They will have him for his prime years, and is drafted to contribute immediately.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

The opinions of the “experts “ are not always in line with the teams. 

nobody drops or rises actually 

the opinions of the “mock draft dudes “ are just wrong 

• Upvote 1