Garrett Wilson Press Conference

Maxman

Brian Costello, New York Post: Garrett, just what’s your feeling about being drafted by the Jets?

It’s a feeling of insane excitement, I’m really excitement. I went up to New York, probably a month and a half ago for the first time ever, and here I am about to set some roots there. I’m really excited to be a part of the Jets.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Hey Garrett, what is your impression of whatever you’ve seen of Zach (Wilson) and what kind of a team do you think you can be with him?

I think he’s got a lot of talent, I think he’s got a lot, especially arm talent. I remember watching his pro day last year and it was a really good pro day, I feel like he approaches the game the right way and I’m excited to get up there and start getting some reps with Zach.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Garrett, what do you feel like your strengths are as a player?

I feel like I do a good job of winning the 50/50 ball. I feel like I do a good job of playing with a lot of passion and you can see it on the field. I feel like I bring my teammates energy up on the field. I also feel like I do a good job of making people miss. Those are things that I’m going to hold my hat on and try to continue doing at the next level.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Garrett, what kind of sense did you get from the Jets through this process? Going back to the combine, you said your visit, what kind of sense did you get from them? Did you think this could be where you ended up?

I didn’t get anything particularly. You kind of go through the process. It’s a lot of the same vibe from different teams, so it’s hard to tell. I came into tonight not knowing where I was going to end up. I was so nervous. When I got that call, it was just a feeling of relief and excitement. I’m just so blessed. I was just really excited, I can’t say I knew it was going to go like this.

DJ Bien-Aime, New York Daily News: Garrett, on film, one thing that you do really well is separate. So, what really goes into your ability to create separation against defensive backs?

Just having a plan. I feel like when you’re matching up against good players, you got to go to the line of scrimmage with a plan. You can’t just go out there and try to run around somebody or not get on shoulders and stuff like that. So, I try to get on shoulders and make the DB uncomfortable. I don’t want to be right in front of them, making moves and stuff like that. There’s a lot of nuances to running routes and I’m excited to keep learning under Coach (Mike) LaFleur, the offensive coordinator, and Coach (Miles) Austin as the receivers coach.

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: Garrett, where do you feel more comfortable playing? Or is there a preference that you have whether it’s outside, inside, just where you’re comfortable out on the field?

I feel just as comfortable inside as out. I like being wherever the offense calls for.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Garrett, how aware are you of the Jet history, the fact that they haven’t been to the playoffs in 12 years now and there’s a lot of you young guys that are kind of charged to try to change that? Are you aware of their history at all, their recent history?

I’m definitely aware, I’ve always been a football fan. I’ve watched football since I was five years old, probably before that honestly. I’m aware of the history, but I want to focus on what’s going to happen now and what’s going to happen this next season. We just got to try to put our best foot forward and build. That’s what I plan to do.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Do you know Sauce Gardner at all?

Yeah, I got to spend some time with him this week.

(follow up) What do you think about being teammates with him now?

I’m excited, I’m excited. I feel like we’re both competitors and I can’t wait to match up at practice and get to work. It’ll be good for both of us. Iron sharpens iron. I know he’s a great player and I’m excited to come in with him and try to start this thing off on the right foot.

DJ Bien-Aime, New York Daily News: Garrett, you and Elijah Moore, you guys have the same trainer. Have you ever been able to spend some time and train with Elijah? If not, what are some of your thoughts on Elijah?

I never actually trained with Elijah, but I did see him down in Arizona this offseason and got to dap it up and talk to him for a while. He’s a good person, real good person. I know he’s a great player, I’ve seen him tape. I remember his tape in high school even at the opening with one-on-one’s and stuff. I know he’s a great player, I was happy to see him get healthy towards the end of the season last year and ball out. I feel like we complement each other well and I’m excited to put in work with him, for sure.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Garrett, have you looked at all about the system the Jets run offensively with Mike LaFleur and how do you feel like that, if you have looked at it, how do you feel like you’ll fit in with what they do?

I feel like, being a football player and the way I carry myself, I hold myself to be able to adapt. I’ve played in a lot of different offenses and Coach LaFleur’s offense is unique as well and I’m excited to be able to be involved with it. I remember when he came from the 49ers and similar offense. I’m excited to get involved.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

The still-adorable Melissa Stark had the best line of the night after interviewing Wilson: "Pearls and all."  I lol'd. 

She also had a good one with some other pick who could not find or put two words together: "A man of a few words".   Great.

Also realized for the first time that she has a Kim Wexler (Rhea Seehorn) vibe, which is a very good thing.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Brian Costello, New York Post: Garrett, just what’s your feeling about being drafted by the Jets?

It’s a feeling of insane excitement, I’m really excitement. I went up to New York, probably a month and a half ago for the first time ever, and here I am about to set some roots there. I’m really excited to be a part of the Jets.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Hey Garrett, what is your impression of whatever you’ve seen of Zach (Wilson) and what kind of a team do you think you can be with him?

I think he’s got a lot of talent, I think he’s got a lot, especially arm talent. I remember watching his pro day last year and it was a really good pro day, I feel like he approaches the game the right way and I’m excited to get up there and start getting some reps with Zach.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Garrett, what do you feel like your strengths are as a player?

I feel like I do a good job of winning the 50/50 ball. I feel like I do a good job of playing with a lot of passion and you can see it on the field. I feel like I bring my teammates energy up on the field. I also feel like I do a good job of making people miss. Those are things that I’m going to hold my hat on and try to continue doing at the next level.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Garrett, what kind of sense did you get from the Jets through this process? Going back to the combine, you said your visit, what kind of sense did you get from them? Did you think this could be where you ended up?

I didn’t get anything particularly. You kind of go through the process. It’s a lot of the same vibe from different teams, so it’s hard to tell. I came into tonight not knowing where I was going to end up. I was so nervous. When I got that call, it was just a feeling of relief and excitement. I’m just so blessed. I was just really excited, I can’t say I knew it was going to go like this.

DJ Bien-Aime, New York Daily News: Garrett, on film, one thing that you do really well is separate. So, what really goes into your ability to create separation against defensive backs?

Just having a plan. I feel like when you’re matching up against good players, you got to go to the line of scrimmage with a plan. You can’t just go out there and try to run around somebody or not get on shoulders and stuff like that. So, I try to get on shoulders and make the DB uncomfortable. I don’t want to be right in front of them, making moves and stuff like that. There’s a lot of nuances to running routes and I’m excited to keep learning under Coach (Mike) LaFleur, the offensive coordinator, and Coach (Miles) Austin as the receivers coach.

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: Garrett, where do you feel more comfortable playing? Or is there a preference that you have whether it’s outside, inside, just where you’re comfortable out on the field?

I feel just as comfortable inside as out. I like being wherever the offense calls for.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Garrett, how aware are you of the Jet history, the fact that they haven’t been to the playoffs in 12 years now and there’s a lot of you young guys that are kind of charged to try to change that? Are you aware of their history at all, their recent history?

I’m definitely aware, I’ve always been a football fan. I’ve watched football since I was five years old, probably before that honestly. I’m aware of the history, but I want to focus on what’s going to happen now and what’s going to happen this next season. We just got to try to put our best foot forward and build. That’s what I plan to do.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Do you know Sauce Gardner at all?

Yeah, I got to spend some time with him this week.

(follow up) What do you think about being teammates with him now?

I’m excited, I’m excited. I feel like we’re both competitors and I can’t wait to match up at practice and get to work. It’ll be good for both of us. Iron sharpens iron. I know he’s a great player and I’m excited to come in with him and try to start this thing off on the right foot.

DJ Bien-Aime, New York Daily News: Garrett, you and Elijah Moore, you guys have the same trainer. Have you ever been able to spend some time and train with Elijah? If not, what are some of your thoughts on Elijah?

I never actually trained with Elijah, but I did see him down in Arizona this offseason and got to dap it up and talk to him for a while. He’s a good person, real good person. I know he’s a great player, I’ve seen him tape. I remember his tape in high school even at the opening with one-on-one’s and stuff. I know he’s a great player, I was happy to see him get healthy towards the end of the season last year and ball out. I feel like we complement each other well and I’m excited to put in work with him, for sure.

Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post: Garrett, have you looked at all about the system the Jets run offensively with Mike LaFleur and how do you feel like that, if you have looked at it, how do you feel like you’ll fit in with what they do?

I feel like, being a football player and the way I carry myself, I hold myself to be able to adapt. I’ve played in a lot of different offenses and Coach LaFleur’s offense is unique as well and I’m excited to be able to be involved with it. I remember when he came from the 49ers and similar offense. I’m excited to get involved.

No not comparing him to Cooper Cupp, yet haha, but I saw an interview with Cupp and he said something very similar when asked how he gets open. Not just about out running someone it’s about outthinking them and getting them to do what you want. Cool thing is this kid can out run them too. Loved his answer! 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No not comparing him to Cooper Cupp, yet haha, but I saw an interview with Cupp and he said something very similar when asked how he gets open. Not just about out running someone it’s about outthinking them and getting them to do what you want. Cool thing is this kid can out run them too. Loved his answer! 

I actually thought about Krupp when I watched Wilson's film.  

• Upvote 2

We think to ourselves that the Jets want another guy like Deebo Samuel, but they seem very excited to pick smaller quicker guys like Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson who can separate.  That is clearly what they are looking for.  The TE can be the bigger guy who can catch.  

"Iron sharpens iron "

As a butcher, I can appreciate that ! Starting to see little pockets of personality growing from this team. It just starting to "feel" different. The roster is looking much better and should benefit  Quinnen Williams and, CJ Mosley, JFM,and Bryce Huffs to fly around and play more freely on defense. I think the one player that will either benefit or bust from this pick will be Mims. If he did his work in the off season, this is going to be a trio of young receivers that can be very versatile weapons in this offense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

We think to ourselves that the Jets want another guy like Deebo Samuel, but they seem very excited to pick smaller quicker guys like Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson who can separate.  That is clearly what they are looking for.  The TE can be the bigger guy who can catch.  

You watch his highlights and he moves so easily, his jukes are so natural and sudden.  He will be great on quick slants and screens, and he also has easy speed.  

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

She also had a good one with some other pick who could not find or put two words together: "A man of a few words".   Great.

That was Jameson Williams. That interview was embarrassing.  He either couldn't string a sentence together, or else he just had no interest in speaking to her. Either way, it wasn't a good look.

• Upvote 1