The Official "MY CRITICISM WAS WRONG ABOUT JOE D" Thread and other short stories.

Dunnie

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Whatever was listed he is shorter than it. When you see 5'11" and 3/4, he is probabaly closer to 511 than 6. 

So that would mean that Moore is shorter than his listed height and keep their two inch difference the same.  Right? 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We had the worst coach and roster in football 15 months ago.  What Joe Douglas has done in 15 months is nothing short of extraordinary.  The NYJ are the most talented, young football team (coaches and players) in the nfl.

The 2022 season, the goal of this football team is learn how to win games.  Unfortunately, in order to do that there will be some losing.

But starting in 2023, this team will supplant the bills as the afc east champs and we will go on a 15 year run of dominance w/ multiple super bowls.

Buckle up jet fans.  Its going to be a hell of a ride!

Not to burst you bubble.  But did you see the stats on the screen last night before the Jet picks?  We were last or nearly last in almost every imaginable category.  As a fan of the team, it was embarrassing.

Like it or not, this is a make or break season for JD.  We put up four or five wins again and he's gone.

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

He measured in at the combine at 5’11 3/4 I’d imagine that’s pretty accurate 

Moore is definitely pretty short and measured in at 5’9 1/2

so he’s over 2 inches taller 

You see, this is where you and I have differences. I believe whoever measures him can be told in advance by someone, say his agent, that there is this nice gift waiting for you in an envelope if he is this tall at the combine. You obviously  think otherwise. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Haven’t seen you guys this pumped since the Denzel Mims pick.

What hurts the most, T0m?  The Jets pretending to be competent for once or are you just bitter that this brilliant GM recognized immediately that the only way to move franchise  in the right direction was to dismiss your boo sauce who dragging this team to the pits of despair. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I had been supporting Joe D staunchly until the Sauce pick ... at which time I lost my sh*t.   

Now after waking up to the gift that was JJ, I am back on board the Joe D train. This guy might be the best GM we have ever had.

Anyone else ?

JD, Saleh ,  the rest of the front office and coaching staff have the potential to be the best we’ve ever had but until we see what the players do on the field I will go with the front office and coaching staff of the Walt Michael’s era. 

• Sympathy 2

25 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

And after drafting Sauce, I am at this moment, officially, going to refer to Becton as Gravy or Gravy Boat.

Last season is over… You need to let it go. Let’s support Becton because ragging on him all the time isn’t gonna help him or the Jets in general. Let’s root for our players. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So that would mean that Moore is shorter than his listed height and keep their two inch difference the same.  Right? 

Could be, but my point wasn't  so much to compare them in hight. They are the same type of WR. They both are burners. Niether  is going to be a guy that will win a lot of jump balls by using their frame and shielding off the DB. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You see, this is where you and I have differences. I believe whoever measures him can be told in advance by someone, say his agent, that there is this nice gift waiting for you in an envelope if he is this tall at the combine. You obviously  think otherwise. 

And the earth is flat plus the Loch Ness monster is real 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Not to burst you bubble.  But did you see the stats on the screen last night before the Jet picks?  We were last or nearly last in almost every imaginable category.  As a fan of the team, it was embarrassing.

Like it or not, this is a make or break season for JD.  We put up four or five wins again and he's gone.

Its not a make it or break it season.  And what they did a year ago after the roster was thinned after blowing up the roster and injuries has nothing to do with it.  In two seasons hes gutted the roster and rebuilt the team.  

Everyone who watches and grades the work a GM does is high on JD and sees him as someone doing it right.  Thats how he'll be viewed, these last two drafts are shaping up well and stack up on each other.  The team now has talent, thats the most important thing a GM is responsible for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I will never respond to something like this again.  This is the most clueless post ive read in a long time.  I cannot respond to folks who are so blind they dont see whats going on here.  Truly mind boggling.

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Agreed, but it doesn’t make the past go away and I still need to see wins in the field. I’m happy with last night, but I still have to wait for the results on the field.

Stay grumpy, my friend. :) 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I will never respond to something like this again.  This is the most clueless post ive read in a long time.  I cannot respond to folks who are so blind they dont see whats going on here.  Truly mind boggling.

"Clueless" is not recognizing that actually winning games is the benchmark of a team's and GM's success.   You won't acknowledge that?  Fine.  You've got a big wake up call coming if we put up another four win season.  Enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not a make it or break it season.  And what they did a year ago after the roster was thinned after blowing up the roster and injuries has nothing to do with it.  In two seasons hes gutted the roster and rebuilt the team.  

Everyone who watches and grades the work a GM does is high on JD and sees him as someone doing it right.  Thats how he'll be viewed, these last two drafts are shaping up well and stack up on each other.  The team now has talent, thats the most important thing a GM is responsible for. 

I think it is.  Again, IMO, the Jets win three or four games and JD's gone.  

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Even more clueless than multiple posts suggesting the Jets never actually wanted Hill or Deebo, and that’s what makes Douglas such a smart GM?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Last season is over… You need to let it go. Let’s support Becton because ragging on him all the time isn’t gonna help him or the Jets in general. Let’s root for our players. 

I wasn't ragging on Becton.  After all the arguments about gravy and sauce on JI and here, I just think it's a funny concept.

• Upvote 1

I have been very critical of Joe and his terrible record and his abysmal first draft but I think last night he did very good job in fact an excellent job adding three players that should contribute right away.   I really like Sauce as a player but was not happy he went at 4 based on our needs but Joe more then made up for it getting the edge we needed at the end.   I hope these additions translate into wins and the jets are competitive on the field.  The time for "patience" expired a long time ago for me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I like the Sauce pick, I'm luke warm on Wilson only because of his height (seems similar to Moore). And I really wanted Thib but JJ is a nice consolation prize. 

I just want to address this because I see it a lot.

Going by a blend of available measurements when combine wasn't available (Moore):

• Elijah Moore:  5' 9.5" 180 lb.
  • Garrett Wilson: 5' 11.75" 183 lb.

and for some comparison:

• OBJ: 5' 11.25" 198 lb.
  • Stefon Diggs: 6' 0" 195 lb.

So what I take away is that Wilson is light and could stand to add 10-15 lbs. of good weight.  But he is not short unless you consider OBJ and Diggs short.  Shorter than Megatron?  Yes.  But too short to be a WR1?  Probably not.

• Upvote 2

I didn't lose my sh*t with the Sauce pick.  After decades of getting hyped or dissapointed with picks and draft grades they really don't mean a thing.  It's all about results on the field.  The team has a lot of needs.  I suspect Sauce was a top 5 pick on most people's board.  Getting hung up on need on a team that has lots of needs seems absurd during the draft.  

I'm still hopeful the Jets field Mims, Moore and Wilson this year and Mims actually produces and compliments the other guys.  

You have a lot of young guys getting drafted, many of them are very immature.  They may actually take a year or two to understand they aren't kids in college who are going up against guys they are physically better than.  Some of them may actually develop in year 3 rather than year 1 or 2.  

Joe D has always seemed solid.  Drafts are a lot of luck and a lot of development.  Hopefully we have coaches who can develop and get the potential out of these players.  

I didn't get the sense that we panicked or reached so far.  The trade up was sensible just like last year.  They identified a player that they really liked who's value they loved and they made a move.  You just hope it works out.  It did last year.  Vera-Tucker was a cornerstone pick.  

Were going to find out soon enough what we have.  Right now it's all potential.  This draft is big because it puts the Adams trade in the rear view mirror.  That and the trade of Sam was an investment.  Lets hope we see dividends soon. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Going by a blend of available measurements when combine wasn't available (Moore):

and for some comparison:

So what I take away is that Wilson is light and could stand to add 10-15 lbs. of good weight.  But he is not short unless you consider OBJ and Diggs short.  Shorter than Megatron?  Yes.  But too short to be a WR1?  Probably not.

AB is 5'10 and was the best WR in the league for a solid 5 years.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Stay grumpy, my friend. :) 

Not at all, I’m happy with last night! I legitimately think this is the best Jets draft so far since 2006 (and that was before the trade up for Johnson). Sauce might be the best player the Jets have picked since Revis.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

and for some comparison:

Height only really matters in the redzone.  And we have 3 guys with great height for that in Davis, Uzomah and Conky.

Height is no issue with our pass catchers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

I reserve my judgement until we get through an entire season without Zach Wilson curled up on the turf writhing in pain, while Connor McDermott looks on helplessly and Mekhi Becton is eating his fourteenth Reeces peanut butter cup on the sideline. 

I like those Reese's BIG CUPS!

49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just try to enjoy today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I had been supporting Joe D staunchly until the Sauce pick ... at which time I lost my sh*t.   

Now after waking up to the gift that was JJ, I am back on board the Joe D train. This guy might be the best GM we have ever had.

Anyone else ?

You fair-weather groupie

54 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Could be, but my point wasn't  so much to compare them in hight. They are the same type of WR. They both are burners. Niether  is going to be a guy that will win a lot of jump balls by using their frame and shielding off the DB. 

Wilson getting jump balls is considered one of his strengths.  He has a catch range similar to London while being shorter, he has had a career of winning battles for the ball, is a physical WR.  Unlike Moore.  Jump balls shouldn’t be an issue.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Anyone else ?

I was awake for JJ, but I'm fully back on board.  Was pissed last night - but excited this morning.

Hopefully Saleh will know how to best use a potential shut down corner.  I think he does and Sauce will be a really strong piece for him.

Wilson and Moore can really team up to keep teams guessing - they can both do so much - How to account for both of them - they can line up anywhere - could really scare some defenses.  

JJ - could have taken him at 10 and no one would have been shocked

• Upvote 2