The Official "MY CRITICISM WAS WRONG ABOUT JOE D" Thread and other short stories.

Dunnie

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think I am being unfair in saying he is small

By what standard?

Have you done a size comparison vs. the top say, 25 WR's in the NFL to come to/support this conclusion?

He isn't a big possession guy. 

What does that mean?  Possession guys make clutch catches in clutch moments to prolong drives.  While often larger, size isn't the defining quality of a possession receiver.

And we still have Davis (6'3") and Mims (6'3") if larger WR's are needed. And both new TE's.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've got nothing to complain about from yesterday, but the rapid mood swings that go on around here are pretty hysterical.  This team has been an utter sh*t-show for years now, right up until the very end of this past season.  We should all know by now that no matter how good an offseason may look on paper, it doesn't really mean much until it shows something on the field.  Every one of us have players we fawned over on draft day that turned out to be massive busts.

Don't get me wrong, it's always much more enjoyable to have an offseason worth getting optimistic about, but the concept of JD suddenly getting thrown up onto a pedestal is pretty comical.  We all know if this team comes out of the gate looking like crap once again, a great many will be calling for his head by October, and if it doesn't turn around dramatically from there, he'll be packing up his bags next January.

I'm certainly not rooting for any of that, but it's as real of a possibility as anything right now.  I'll be convinced otherwise when the team actually starts to finally break the trend of continual awfulness on the field for over a decade.  His career will still very likely live or die based upon Zach Wilson.

Great post.

We've won plenty of drafts through this 11 year nightmare. This was always going to be a strong Jets draft - Just look at the other teams everyone else is praising - The Giants, Ravens, Eagles, Chiefs, Lions - All either had multiple picks or leveraged them for trades. 

If the Jets took Ekwonu or Thibs at #4, Williams or London at #10 and traded up for Karlaftis, Lloyd or Linderbaum you would have similar swooning over what we got. Except maybe @Sperm Edwards for the latter. 

I'm excited for these guys - Sauce and Wilson especially - But I was excited for Mims and Becton as well. We have to see this play out and at long last the Jets have to start winning some games. Forget about Superbowls - I just want a meaningful game in mid-October at this point. 

This has to be the year we see progress. There can be no more excuses for Saleh or Wilson. We have some talent on paper now and if these picks hit there's no reason this can't be a 8 win team. If we start 2-6 again then everyone in the building should be under serious pressure. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Where did this myth that you need different styles of WR come from? This is only a problem for positions where there is only one of that particular position on the field at any given time. 

This.  There were clips last season of the gravity that Moore created opening up gaps for the other WR/TE.  Why would you be upset to have a clone if him on the other side?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Great post.

We've won plenty of drafts through this 11 year nightmare. This was always going to be a strong Jets draft - Just look at the other teams everyone else is praising - The Giants, Ravens, Eagles, Chiefs, Lions - All either had multiple picks or leveraged them for trades. 

If the Jets took Ekwonu or Thibs at #4, Williams or London at #10 and traded up for Karlaftis, Lloyd or Linderbaum you would have similar swooning over what we got. Except maybe @Sperm Edwards for the latter. 

I'm excited for these guys - Sauce and Wilson especially - But I was excited for Mims and Becton as well. We have to see this play out and at long last the Jets have to start winning some games. Forget about Superbowls - I just want a meaningful game in mid-October at this point. 

This has to be the year we see progress. There can be no more excuses for Saleh or Wilson. We have some talent on paper now and if these picks hit there's no reason this can't be a 8 win team. If we start 2-6 again then everyone in the building should be under serious pressure. 

The reasoning is we got great players that both peoplr who wanted O and D both wanted.  Now matter how you preferred this to go you most lijely got it.  A+

13 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Great post.

And don't you forget it!

I'd never advocate drafting a center over an edge rusher. Not unless I had the benefit of hindsight to know the latter turned out to be a bust. 

Particularly once JJ started to slide, Linderbaum wasn't even on their radar. Not unless maybe - maybe - he'd slipped to #38 after trading up for JJ. 

Agree with your last paragraph, though it depends. I mean, losses are still losses whether they're close or blowouts, but repeated blowouts means the team not only isn't there yet but they're a year or more away. A bunch of close losses can mean a few different things: like a slow start or injury from a key player (Wilson in particular); repeated late coaching blunders; a couple untimely fumbles; losing the coin toss in a couple OT games; or at least one of each.

Anyway it'd mean the roster's not bad, particularly given this year's rougher schedule, and with a couple tweaks they can be contenders. I'd still be pissed at a 2-6 start all the same, as we all should.

So yeah, if Wilson has his head on straight (if he's not just an over-hyped Kellen Clemens), this starting roster looks good enough to be ~.500 or better.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

The reasoning is we got great players that both peoplr who wanted O and D both wanted.  Now matter how you preferred this to go you most lijely got it.  A+

We had four of the first forty picks. That was always going to happen.

We don’t know if these are great NFL players, we have to see them play in the league first. Everyone loved our early 2020 picks and they haven’t exactly lit it up.

There is reason for optimism but all this nonsense about Douglas being so great are just ridiculous until he wins some games.

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We don’t know if these are great NFL players, we have to see them play in the league first. Everyone loved our early 2020 picks and they haven’t exactly lit it up.

There is reason for optimism but all this nonsense about Douglas being so great are just ridiculous until he wins some games.

He's looking great right now, so try to enjoy it and stop being a hybrid wet blanket / fun vacuum. 

Even optimistic/happy fans know they don't go right from a highly-graded draft to the playoffs and certain success. This isn't our first year rooting for the Jets and we have enough experience with "reality" -- many/most of us have more than you've put in, too.

I'm happy they didn't draft an OT at #4 and then trade up for a center, taking a safety or 220-pound LB in between. Baby steps.

What-About-Bob-Baby-Steps-700x525_1024x1

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's looking great right now, so try to enjoy it and stop being a hybrid wet blanket / fun vacuum. 

Even optimistic/happy fans know they don't go right from a highly-graded draft to the playoffs and certain success. This isn't our first year rooting for the Jets and we have enough experience with "reality" -- many/most of us have more than you've put in, too.

I'm happy they didn't draft an OT at #4 and then trade up for a center, taking a safety or 220-pound LB in between. Baby steps.

What-About-Bob-Baby-Steps-700x525_1024x1

Come on!!! Stop being a wet blanket isn’t the only option.  

You are a mod.  You can just shut the site down until the Jets have played enough games to comment on the draft.   Maybe we meet back in 2-3 years?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

And you constantly sh*tting on him is also ridiculous. He is far better than than what we have had to deal with the past 10 years. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Come on!!! Stop being a wet blanket isn’t the only option.  

You are a mod.  You can just shut the site down until the Jets have played enough games to comment on the draft.   Maybe we meet back in 2-3 years?

No need to shut down the site. I could just change all your passwords and recovery email addresses.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I just want a meaningful game in mid-October at this point.

Ok, I think we all want that.

But it's not Mid-October.  It's April. 

They can't give you what you want in October now.

And they cannot undo what has happened before now.

So we can only be happy or not happy with things that happen in April.

What would make you happy in April?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've got nothing to complain about from yesterday, but the rapid mood swings that go on around here are pretty hysterical.  This team has been an utter sh*t-show for years now, right up until the very end of this past season.  We should all know by now that no matter how good an offseason may look on paper, it doesn't really mean much until it shows something on the field.  Every one of us have players we fawned over on draft day that turned out to be massive busts.

Don't get me wrong, it's always much more enjoyable to have an offseason worth getting optimistic about, but the concept of JD suddenly getting thrown up onto a pedestal is pretty comical.  We all know if this team comes out of the gate looking like crap once again, a great many will be calling for his head by October, and if it doesn't turn around dramatically from there, he'll be packing up his bags next January.

I'm certainly not rooting for any of that, but it's as real of a possibility as anything right now.  I'll be convinced otherwise when the team actually starts to finally break the trend of continual awfulness on the field for over a decade.  His career will still very likely live or die based upon Zach Wilson.

We haven't won more than what 6 games in the last several years???   Yes. Let's now put the boat in the water.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok, I think we all want that.

But it's not Mid-October.  It's April. 

They can't give you what you want in October now.

And they cannot undo what has happened before now.

So we can only be happy or not happy with things that happen in April.

What would make you happy in April?

I’m happy with the draft. I was happy in 2020.

I’m just not gonna say our GM is the best in the league and worthy of an extension based on a draft. I’d rather win games first.

2 hours ago, ryu79 said:

JJ was a JUCO kid who couldn't get on the field due to grades at one point and because of the process he took to get to NFL is older than a lot of the comparative set. Its his age that I've seen most frequently levied as a criticism in run up to the draft. 

Yet you weirdly don't hear it about Devin Lloyd, Bernhard Raimann, Devonte Wyatt, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, and Jelani Woods.  All those guys are turning 24 in their rookie season.  I haven't checked, but I'm sure there is at least one numbskull who is bashing the JJ pick but clamoring for another one of these guys.

Oh and FWIW, Scumbag's round 1 pick is 6 months older than JJ2.

Ultimately we have to win games, however I believe the way Douglas is doing things is 100% the right way to build a sustained winner and competitor. Let's just hope we get there, but nonetheless I think our FO has the right idea which is beyond refreshing. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I’m happy with the draft. I was happy in 2020.

Good, glad we established that.

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I’m just not gonna say our GM is the best in the league and worthy of an extension based on a draft. I’d rather win games first.

Understood. And appreciated.

But again, they can't win games now.  

So I kinda feel like a little bit of 'find the joy in the moment" is ok. 

And it's ok to do it without needed to be caveat'ed or otherwise rationalized with if's and maybes or other qualification statements.

Sometimes it's ok to just be happy with today. 

Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

• Post of the Week 1

Understood. And appreciated.
But again, they can't win games now.  
So I kinda feel like a little bit of 'find the joy in the moment" is ok. 
And it's ok to do it without needed to be caveat'ed or otherwise rationalized with if's and maybes or other qualification statements.
Sometimes it's ok to just be happy with today. 
Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.
Haven't been following the whole thread ...

Why cant they win games now ? ... because it's the offseason ?

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Jermaine Johnson is gonna be a very solid player. Can’t see him being a sack master but 6-10 sacks a season and a Bryan Thomas like steadiness to the DLine goes a long way.

I think this is right.

He's going to be great against the run though.  We needed that more than anything else at this point.