Joe Douglas - Give this man a long term extension

1 minute ago, ganggreen305 said:

Most of you guys are never happy, but this is the best GM we have ever had, by far.  2020 draft stunk (old coaching regime, Covid), but the last 2 drafts are fantastic.  His moves and trades are fantastic.  Give this man a long term extension.  Go Jets.

Can we at least enjoy this and win 8 games???  But yes, he is light years ahead of our previous Bozo's.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Frankly, even the 2020 draft wasn't bad GMing. The process was spot on. High-end athletes with real upside at positions of need

People don't like to hear it, but over time you'd rather have good process (even if it gives bad results at first) over good results that came from a bad process

this

• Upvote 3

15 months into Joe Douglas’s’ rebuild and hes absolutely knocked it out of the park.  Here is what the plan was from the start:

2021- Get a new coach, get a new qb, evaluate roster to see who is part of the long term plan.

This season- Have this young team learn how to win football games.  No playoff mandate, no “meaningful games in December” nonsense.  None of that matters.  All that matters is that by the end of this season, this team has figured out how to close games and get a W.

2023 season- Overtake the Bills for 1st place in the AFC East.  Have the roster structured with no albatross contracts from players we traded for or signed as free agents.  Finances are set up to make a 10-15 year run the likes of the 2000 Pats.

And jet fans, Joe Douglas will accomplish all of this.  Its finally happened my friends.  Enjoy!!!

• Upvote 3

Uh, no…

We have zero clue if any of these picks will even pan out yet. They were picked less than 24 hours ago.

And we are still in no-man’s land at the most important position. I have zero faith in Justin Bieber at QB.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

I’m just saying, everyone is freaking out about these picks as if we have any clue how they’ll turn out.

Anyone who has been a Jets fan for decades has healthy skepticism of our drafted players actually becoming who they should be.

And we still have Bieber at QB and that’s the most important position.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Frankly, even the 2020 draft wasn't bad GMing. The process was spot on. High-end athletes with real upside at positions of need

People don't like to hear it, but over time you'd rather have good process (even if it gives bad results at first) over good results that came from a bad process

Exactly. There was talk of us taking Mims at 48. Instead we traded down and still got him. Of course, he sucks, but the manipulation of the draft was spot on. And we all begged prior Jets GMs to take OTs early for years and he took Becton who was a top 10 pick on just about everyone's board. 

In the end, none of that matters if the players turn into busts but we saw last year that JD clearly has the ability to also find talent (Moore/Carter/AVT/Carter/Echols). We will see if he can be as good this year. If he is, he is going to be a legend in this town. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not just the picks.  You can see Joe and Robert have a clear plan on how to build a team and are executing it perfectly.  Can the picks bust?  Sure.  But the encouraging thing is these guys have a great plan and are executing it.  

We needed a receiver, edge and got both last night while added a top player(Gardner) at a premium position.

Guys, we once took a safety in back to back rounds with our 1st and 2nd round pick.

The intelligence and execution of of how to build a football team is what is on display here and whats extremely encouraging.

I still can't figure out if you are serious or a Jets Stan account. 

While I'm happy with the players we took, I am a little disappointed we weren't the ones trading down and grabbing more picks. This draft is heavy value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and that is where I thought JD would live. I still believe we would have taken 2 players maybe 3 in the first while adding additional 2nd and 3rd rounders. We don't just need 4 players from this draft albeit very good ones, we need more players. and my feeling is that we could have gotten a bunch or need players with (3) 2nd rounders and (3) 3rd rounders. There are quality LB's WR's OL, etc still left to be picked, and now we only have 1 pick in each of the next 2 rounds. That is my only beef with the draft so far from a JETS perspective.

i got to say im surprised that no one is crying for him not getting an OL. after all these months of me and others fighting with half this board over OL you guys are not bitching about how we are going to replace Fant and Mcg after 2023. LOL

but he had a great draft IMO. i did not like Garnder just because i thought that was the 2nd best position on the team. but he gets the Edge he had to get which for me makes swallowing the CB pick much easier. he couldnt leave the 1st rd without addressing the worst defense and pass rush in the league. good job!

and he got the best WR on many people's boards. earlier that day Bart Scott was explaining how Wilson was better for us than London. how Wilson fits our offensive scheme better. how we already have a tall lanky possession WR in Mims and we have no use for him. could also be that Mims just isn't that good. 

in a separate thread i think we should discuss how most of these experts and insiders got it wrong. isnt Conner his best friend or something. how many said it was Icky or Gardner but if both are there its Icky. yes i remember cause my stomach turned every time i heard we would pick a OL in rd 1. 

or it could be possible JD was going to pick Icky and Woody stepped in. i dont think Woody said WHO to draft but when he heard OL for a 3rd year in a row he put a stop to that. 

either way it was a great night last night.

I think we have to have a competent (north of 7 wins) season first. 

I would normally say 8-8, but the NFL ruined the symmetrical sanctity of the best schedule in all of sports, so I'll say a minimum of 8-9 with Wilson looking like a good young QB. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

He would probably like to have that 2nd round trade down back  - but otherwise I completely agree.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Well said, also seen how he’s capable of moving up or moving down depending on draft

Well the bottom line with JD is his personnel decisions have to translate to Ws. So far that hasn't happened. If the team he puts together with the HC he hired in 2022 is again terrible he will have to answer for it like all of his predecessors have. And you know what that means. 

1 hour ago, Facts said:

I’m just saying, everyone is freaking out about these picks as if we have any clue how they’ll turn out.

Anyone who has been a Jets fan for decades has healthy skepticism of our drafted players actually becoming who they should be.

Of course we have to wait but a lot of the excitement/approval comes from this regime’s draft approach.  We got 3 “supposedly great” players at 3 top positions, which all also happened to be needs on this team.

Had Macc or Idzik been running the show, we likely would have taken a safety at 4 because “experts” told us to and then reached for some DT, undersized LB, or off injured player at 10.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Uh, no…

We have zero clue if any of these picks will even pan out yet. They were picked less than 24 hours ago.

And we are still in no-man’s land at the most important position. I have zero faith in Justin Bieber at QB.

This is the time of year where you have to be a homer. This isn’t allowed.

I like the draft, he addressed big needs and premium positions. I loved the Jermaine Johnson pick and it was great to see us finally go after a wide receiver in the first round. But we don't know anything about these guys until they play games. 

I'll give him more credit when we start winning some games. Great draft so far on paper. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

While I'm happy with the players we took, I am a little disappointed we weren't the ones trading down and grabbing more picks. This draft is heavy value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and that is where I thought JD would live. I still believe we would have taken 2 players maybe 3 in the first while adding additional 2nd and 3rd rounders. We don't just need 4 players from this draft albeit very good ones, we need more players. and my feeling is that we could have gotten a bunch or need players with (3) 2nd rounders and (3) 3rd rounders. There are quality LB's WR's OL, etc still left to be picked, and now we only have 1 pick in each of the next 2 rounds. That is my only beef with the draft so far from a JETS perspective.

im happy that JD tried to hit a HR and traded up. but im not sure where the trade down would be?

i dont think anyone offered to take #4 from us. evidence enough is that the Giants didnt trade #5. if the trade was there for them it would have been for us.

and #10? i think we forced the NO trade to 11 with taking Wilson cause they were afraid of a WR run. and there is no way in hell i would trade with Detroit to go back to #32 which Minn did at 12.

i just heard on the radio that JDs phone did not ring at #10. so it looks like nobody wanted to move up until we took Wilson

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Meh, the JD/Saleh combo clearly has a plan.  It's competent for the first time in a long time.  We'll see the results but for the first time in forever, we have a HC and GM on the same page with a very clear plan.  You've seen offense picked in 1st round of every draft JD has had since coming here.  Anyone who has ben a Jets fan for a decade knows that is a very welcomed change and has reason to be excited and hopeful.

• Upvote 4