CB Rotation and Bryce Hall

BCJet

This question has nothing to do with Sauce's ability, by all accounts he is an elite player with elite character.  My question is what do we now do with Bryce Hall.

I get that Hall doesnt have a ton of picks and ball skills are likely a trait he doesnt excel at but he has graded out as a good corner in the 1.5 seasons he has played.   More importantly he is under contract for $900K this year and $1.1 next year, so he is literally untradeable. So what do we do with him now?

He isnt a slot CB (at least I dont believe he has that quick twitch skill set) and at 6'1 200lbs why would you put him in the slot?  Now maybe we move DJ Reed to the slot as he may be well-suited for that but we did pay him as a starting outside CB.

Yes its good to have depth at any positions and we did wind up with the pass rusher we could have taken at 4 but I also dont want to waste Hall or Reed's skill set as they are both very good players.

How do you all see the playing time shaking out?

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Didn’t we start 3 CB’s most of last year with Hall, Echols & MCsquared?….when we drafted Carter there was talk of him being a possibilty to play safety. He’s so versatile he’s almost a hybrid to put anywhere so I could see us starting Hall, Sauce & DJ Reed with Carter, Pinnock and Davis rotating with Jordan Whitehead at safety. If we don’t take a guy like Brisker when we are up next I can see that being the way we go and we still have Echols, Guidry, Dunn and Zane Lewis as depth at CB

We played a lot of "big nickel" so having lots of DBs to rotate in will be very valuable. It also fits in with having LB / S hybrids rather than your more "pure" LBs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

We had some discussion on the zoom call about this last night.  Potentially moving Hall to FS.  And with the inevitiable injuries that occur during a season, I am not worried about having a crowded CB room.  Having depth is a problem we have not often had to deal with.

Indeed, Echols is unlucky if he’s odd man out. He played really well as a rookie and has earned more playing time not less. Perhaps we look to get something back for one of our younger guys who looked good last year? I personally wouldn’t want to shift any of them for the reasons of depth you stated but it might be a consideration

lol we are not used to that round here hahahahahahaha 

Jets fans forget that it’s actually not normal to have to pick up guys off the street in FL who haven’t played in a couple months when 2 of your starters go down to injury.

And people wonder why the Jets can’t do a “2 year rebuild” like other teams….

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

We had some discussion on the zoom call about this last night.  Potentially moving Hall to FS.  And with the inevitiable injuries that occur during a season, I am not worried about having a crowded CB room.  Having depth is a problem we have not often had to deal with.  It is a good problem to have.

I think tonight will go along way in determining the answer.  Both Brisker and Pitre are very good players that fit this mold of the modern day FS that drops down to cover TEs, can cover slots some, support in the run game.  Both will be there at a position of perceived need tonight.  If they don’t take a safer with one of these picks tonight I think we may have our answer.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think tonight will go along way in determining the answer.  Both Brisker and Pitre are very good players that fit this mold of the modern day FS that drops down to cover TEs, can cover slots some, support in the run game.  Both will be there at a position of perceived need tonight.  If they don’t take a safer with one of these picks tonight I think we may have our answer.

We are taking a LB at 38. Book it. We don’t pick again until 101 and both brisker and Pitre will be long gone. Want a safety? Don’t sleep on this sleeper

Tycen Anderson. S Toledo

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 209 | RAS: 9.48

Anderson is a disciplined defender, often waiting for the play to evolve before striking. When he likes what he sees, he quickly attacks allies and zones. Rarely will you see him make the wrong read or fill the wrong gap against the run. He follows the eyes of the quarterback and can break to the ball briskly. The Toledo safety fits the run exceptionally well and can shed blocks in space.

If bigger blockers get hands on him, he will likely get taken out of the play. But receivers will struggle to fend him off. This was easily visible against screens, as Anderson swiftly dispatched any WRs in front of him to reach the target. His pursuit flowing downfield is a sight to behold.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This question has nothing to do with Sauce's ability, by all accounts he is an elite player with elite character.  My question is what do we now do with Bryce Hall.

I get that Hall doesnt have a ton of picks and ball skills are likely a trait he doesnt excel at but he has graded out as a good corner in the 1.5 seasons he has played.   More importantly he is under contract for $900K this year and $1.1 next year, so he is literally untradeable. So what do we do with him now?

He isnt a slot CB (at least I dont believe he has that quick twitch skill set) and at 6'1 200lbs why would you put him in the slot?  Now maybe we move DJ Reed to the slot as he may be well-suited for that but we did pay him as a starting outside CB.

Yes its good to have depth at any positions and we did wind up with the pass rusher we could have taken at 4 but I also dont want to waste Hall or Reed's skill set as they are both very good players.

We all have to keep in mind especially at critical positions like CB, the starters may not be available 100% of the time with injury, Covid, personal issues, etc. we would then not have much if at all of a drop off when Hall would come in.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Quality backup.

Yup, this idea that if we have a borderline starting-caliber player as a backup he should be traded is a bit crazy.

It’s OKAY to have talented depth, fellas.  We cashed that check with Morgan Moses last year as our OT3.

Keep Hall.  After signing Reed and adding Sauce we’ve turned the secondary from a question mark to almost an exclamation point.  Hall, Echols, etc. are really nice to have waiting on standby for this secondary.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup, this idea that if we have a borderline starting-caliber player as a backup he should be traded is a bit crazy.

It’s OKAY to have talented depth, fellas.  We cashed that check with Morgan Moses last year as our OT3.

Keep Hall.  After signing Reed and adding Sauce we’ve turned the secondary from a question mark to almost an exclamation point.  Hall, Echols, etc. are really nice to have waiting on standby for this secondary.

Great post!  And the fact that Bryce Hall costs us nothing there is 0 reason to trade him.

• Upvote 1

This thread and our cb situation is an example of the transition from a bottom feeder to a competitive team.  A weak team has guys like Hall as our #1 cb.  A good team has a guy like him as our 3rd or 4th guy abs part of the rotation.  We have done this or are doing this at many positions.

we have gone through a decade woth guys off the street filling positions.  JD has done a masterful job building talent and depth over the last two years and we actually look like we have a legit roster right now.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I get that Hall doesnt have a ton of picks and ball skills are likely a trait he doesnt excel at but he has graded out as a good corner in the 1.5 seasons he has played.   More importantly he is under contract for $900K this year and $1.1 next year, so he is literally untradeable. So what do we do with him now?

We play him as the Nickel Corner, likely in rotation with Echols.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think you're over-thinking it honestly.

Hall is now the third best CB on the roster.  Everyone plays more than 2 CB's in the modern NFL.

Hall will get his playing time.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

We play him as the Nickel Corner.

I think you're over-thinking it honestly.

Hall is now the third best CB on the roster.  Everyone plays more than 2 CB's in the modern NFL.

Hall will get his playing time.  

But, but, but… we cannot have 3 guys that with starting caliber talent, if we only have two spots for them. It doesn’t fit neatly into my brain!!! ?

• Haha 3